Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

TOTS Modeste :swoon: I hit the 100 game mark with 150 goals scored.

And I decided to keep playing FIFA because this squad is my favorite one ever. TOTS Modeste current stats,

An absolute monster. He bangs them in like nothing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BpXrASwEc&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOGDIU14Owg&t=28s

Oh and he scored 8 goals in a game last night, the first of which was a bicycle kick goal,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisLVhim4B0&t=26s

and the eighth goal,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qgISuHLOs&t=21s

Somehow the guy didn't ragequit and continued to try and play. It was awesome. Modeste is by far the best striker I've ever played with in any FIFA. He fits my style perfectly and does it all. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I've been trying to buy a Vitesse player all weekend for the marquee matchup but all of the listings are disappearing before I can click buy now. It's insane.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So I came back after a long hiatus to make my expensive fun MLS and USA squads. Here is the USA squad I won the DKT with.

Squad standouts- Dempsey is unreal. Better than tots giuliano for me. He's a top 10 CAM in the game imo. I don't know what it is, he just scores for fun. His only weaknesses are his long passing and his pace is ok. Beasley is very very good in defense and attack and surprised me. IF Hamid is also very very good. He's a top 3 keeper in the game for me. I don't know what it is but he always performs excellently, his only downside is his handling but he lets in nothing- headers, longshots, 1 v 1s. Keepers are so odd in this game when it comes to efficacy but I'm glad I stumbled on this card. I have no plans of trying out TOTS Howard at all.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Beta invites are out, starts 9am PST tomorrow

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheBigAristotle posted:

Its cool, like 1800 games this year I didn't want a beta invite anyway

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

lol i only got kick-off and pro-club somehow?

thas lame

TheBigAristotle posted:

parmos reunite?

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 9, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
You only get one mode

I didn't get anything at all :(

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How can you tell if you got an invite?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Seltzer posted:

How can you tell if you got an invite?

Email with a code.

I got FUT and kickoff :dance:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe I didn't get one, haha. I got one the last 3 years in a row and I left tons of suggestions/comments, and I played like 1000 matches last year

I don't know how to do the two smiths high fiving but just pretend I put that here for Hopterque and me

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I didn't get one. never have, and probably never will. I might've put EA stuff into my spam filter. I got a beta invite this year to another game that popped up on my xbox home screen, I don't know why EA doesn't choose to do it like that.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

Sweet. Just checked my email and,

"you can play and test game modes: FIFA Ultimate Team and Kick-off"

Fuckin A.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mighta just gotten FUT anyway which I wouldn't have cared about, I just wanted to play parmos beta with my bros

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

I didn't get one. never have, and probably never will. I might've put EA stuff into my spam filter. I got a beta invite this year to another game that popped up on my xbox home screen, I don't know why EA doesn't choose to do it like that.

yeah it was in my filtered promotions folder that gmail automotically parsed, thats why i missed it last year, im bummed i didnt get online head-to-head though, which is what i got last year

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Everyone in this thread that got the beta, please see if it's finally loving viable to score a header. It's been two years now. Also see if dribbling is actually good.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
biased opinion here, but i still scored a poo poo ton of headers in 17, but then again i tended to use a striker compliment of players like dzyuba, lukaku, and mandzucic

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I imagine headers are just extremely hard to balance without feeling unfun

I mean if someone can just cross the ball 15 times and know they'll score 3 or something and there's nothing you can do about it on defense that just kinda sucks

On the other hand obviously you want guys like Ibra to be viable, so I dunno what the answer is

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's the second worst year for scoring headers and I'd be generous if I said I get 1 scored one me in 15 games from open play. It's seriously closer to 1 in 25. The first stat I can find is showing me that 20% of goals scored in the PL are headers and it sure isn't close to that in game. It's especially dumb that the 433 is actually usually worse at headers because of how isolated wingers get this year with stay back on fullbacks and OP defending. Fifa 13 and 15 got the heading balance right imo and they're my two favorites overall. In only one year was it really broken (14).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I do agree with you that it's a little too hard

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i've exclusively switched to a wide 4-1-2-1-2 for all my squads and usually get at least 1 header a game, either from the front two st or a late run from the cam

corners are a different story

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I've never gotten a fifa beta invite which is weird considering how much I play this stupid game, oh well.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

hopterque posted:

I've never gotten a fifa beta invite which is weird considering how much I play this stupid game, oh well.

check your spam or promotions folder if you use gmail

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Will this be the year that something other than "pace" becomes prohibitively the most important player trait? If not, looking forward to in-form Theo Walcott being much more useful than Zinedine Zidane.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

I've played 1400 games of FUT plus some assorted other stuff and didn't get one. Wonder what the criteria are for getting in.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bewbies posted:

Will this be the year that something other than "pace" becomes prohibitively the most important player trait? If not, looking forward to in-form Theo Walcott being much more useful than Zinedine Zidane.

pace will always be the best stat up to a certain point depending on position, 88+ is fine for a forward and anything above like 75 is good for a midfielder, same for CBs.

Once you can break into the mid-upper 80s with chem or the low-mid 90s for forwards it's basically such a minimal difference that most sane people don't really give a poo poo.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Streaming or posting unedited screencaps will result in an account ban lol

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

TheBigAristotle posted:

Shouldn't this say Fifa 18 beta?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheBigAristotle posted:

That's pretty normal for an nda'd closed beta test.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I posted about the beta a lot last year for my fellow goons so now it's you guys's turn to gimme the scoop

how is it

I guess PM me on here or PSN if you don't want to risk running afoul of EA spies

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 10, 2017

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
I'm in the FUT beta.

Things that stand out immediately:

Menu lag is fixed.

Daily/Weekly Challenges are cool, but it's stupid that you can complete them against the AI on Amateur. I had something like Record 3 Assists with an English player, Score 5 headers, etc. Was able to knock all of them out with a 20-0 thrashing against the AI.

There's a new passing indicator that shows you exactly where you are aiming and how hard you are passing. It works really well imo.

Driven shots still overpowered.

Second man contain seriously nerfed. It feels like the second man will kinda waltz over to the area of the opponent rather than bee lining towards the ball at 100 mph.

Pace seems to be less important, using sprint on defense really seems to throw your players balance off which should curtail high pressure. Feels like you can actually use slow strikers now, but that might just be because everyone is using normal common gold players.

Heading seems like it might be viable again, but I'm not sure.

In game subs during replays and stuff is awesome.

Most noticeable thing for me is that the ball physics seem completely reworked and much more natural. Less of that feeling that the ball is automatically going to go to the keeper or bounce to a certain player after a deflection. Very big improvement.

Overall, as someone who really enjoyed Fifa 17, I'm really happy with the beta thus far.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
the scooped lob pass thing is neat, still need to figure out how to best use it

also, new slowdive song on the soundtrack

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 11, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pro Clubs menu now allows you to assign set piece roles, that's pretty nice.

The trainer menu now has this extending arm with a circle at the end that goes up with your pass power, pretty sure it's indicating what manual passing would be, because the passes often don't play as poorly as some passes seem.

I haven't hosed much with menus but they look the same for settings.

Pro Clubs advancement is all hosed up now, it's a skill tree with most of the points you spend going towards raw stats, but each one ends in a skill or two, but choosing one path blocks off another. Hard to say how it plays out with only an 80 overall rating.

The best thing so far about Pro Clubs, since I haven't played a game yet (Parmos on PS4, send a request, it's the Beta, I'm not a member of a band of nutcases that takes turns flipping out every year. We don't get serious until the real game comes out. It's an abusive poly relationship), is the fact that once you figure out how your best skill choices, you can save multiple profiles so you don't have to waste as much time when you change position.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Resuming after pausing now displays a 3-2-1 countdown instead of just jumping back in the game.

Players make much better runs and you are often rewarded for spotting them.

Much easier to step in and intercept a pass after switching to a backline player. I did notice the ball went right by my controlled player a couple times after he stepped up. I imagine there will be a lot of whining about this, but it does seem much better to me overall.

Transfer market is exactly the same from what I can see.

Big strong players feel more "hefty." Player momentum feels more substantial. Acceleration seems slower, but if your player is at full pace they are still fast.

Had a couple matches with bad lag and everything felt very bad.

Edit: There's also a new tab on the player screen that shows you all their detailed stats which is nice.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
yeah the momentum physics are great, much bigger cost/benefit at play, especially on defense

love the progressive pitch wear down graphics, really lovely touch

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
There's also the new single player mode where you play random other people's squads. The rewards are setup the same as weekend league with Top 100, Elite, Gold etc. The prizes seem to be trash and I can't imagine anyone seriously sitting and grinding out games vs the AI to get some really crummy packs (125k + 55k packs is the prize for finishing first right now Gold 1 is like a 15k pack.) It's a cool idea though, it'd be awesome if it was 1 vs 1 and you were given a selection of 4 random people's squads and had to pick one to play vs your opponent. People could submit a squad a week and then be rewarded based on how many "points" their squad accumulated when chosen by other players. Something for Fifa 19 I suppose...

LastDeadMouse fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 11, 2017

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
All I want to know: if you try to pause the game when you don't have possession, does it still display a big black box in the middle of your screen that says you can't pause and that lasts 30 seconds or whatever?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can pause in Pro Clubs, and I haven't played against anyone locally yet

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

All I want to know: if you try to pause the game when you don't have possession, does it still display a big black box in the middle of your screen that says you can't pause and that lasts 30 seconds or whatever?

No, it politely displays a tiny box on the top of the screen saying "Gamertag has requested a stoppage" or something. It's way better than before.

LastDeadMouse fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 11, 2017

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
Played around 15 games now.

drat, I really like this game.

It's hard to describe, but the ball, player and animation all seem detached from each other now. The magnet effect where the ball had to be in one player's "possession" at all times - something really evident in past FIFA's imo is greatly reduced. It actually feels like you are controlling your players rather than triggering a string of animations.

I'm wondering what will be OP this year. I feel like there might be a lot of different effective play styles which would be cool.

Anyone play on PC last year? I'm thinking about moving over to that from Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

LastDeadMouse posted:

No, it politely displays a tiny box on the top of the screen saying "Gamertag has requested a stoppage" or something. It's way better than before.

Finally. I might pick up fifa at launch again after skipping it the last 2 years.

• Locked thread