Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I hate to interrupt TLD chat, but has anyone played The Forest recently? I've just started it for the first time last night and am a little overwhelmed by the amount of options.

Any beginner tips in regards to building or just not starving and dying in general? Not sure if I should try to find a nice quiet spot away from people to set up, or spread out a bit etc. Or just what's worth building in general really.

I'm sure some trial and error can teach me plenty, it seems promising so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Vasler posted:

Once I figured out you could kill wolves with the flare gun the food problem was solved. I now have a rifle (just found it as part of the story).

How do you get access to the forge? Do you have to go to that house in the muskeg? Is the forge there or is that where the blueprints are?

So far I'm enjoying the story mode - not really for the story (though it is somewhat interesting) but more because it gives me goals in this game. I just wish that I could make fishing tackle. I have a line and a hook but for some reason I can't combine the two.

You need to build Jeremiah's trust up to about 200, at which point he will mention the forge and the blueprints that are nearby. Then, you can go to the house in the muskeg, find the blueprints, and forge up some tools. They're reasonably nice about this, leaving enough coal around the forge that you can get it up and running immediately. Make sure you bring enough scrap metal to make all the tools you want, though, because finding more coal to get the thing burning a second time will be difficult.

And since we're on the subject lets talk about how stupid Trust as a system is as a grindy resource sink. That thing about the forge? That takes a fuckton of simple stuff like cloth, or something like 4-5 deer hides (it takes something like 8 deer hides by itself to max Jeremiah's trust, hope you weren't planning on using those for anything else). If you were wondering where all your crafting recipes went, they went behind Trust gates. Did you leave episode 1 without maxing Trust with Grey Mother because it didn't seem like a critical thing? Well, now you can never make rabbitskin gloves because the crafting blueprint was locked behind a bunch of Trust and you can't exactly go back.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think I'll wait a little longer to start the TLD campaign. I have a pretty low grind threshold and I bet someone will make a mod/cheat to just slash some of those numbers.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Meiteron posted:

And since we're on the subject lets talk about how stupid Trust as a system is as a grindy resource sink. That thing about the forge? That takes a fuckton of simple stuff like cloth, or something like 4-5 deer hides (it takes something like 8 deer hides by itself to max Jeremiah's trust, hope you weren't planning on using those for anything else). If you were wondering where all your crafting recipes went, they went behind Trust gates. Did you leave episode 1 without maxing Trust with Grey Mother because it didn't seem like a critical thing? Well, now you can never make rabbitskin gloves because the crafting blueprint was locked behind a bunch of Trust and you can't exactly go back.

Yeah, I didn't figure this out until after finishing Jeremiah's questline, and now I can't interact with him anymore. Fortunately, by the end of episode 2 I had found a fair amount of nice gear anyway (e.g. the military coat), but it really sucks if I'm straight up locked out of deerskin and rabbitskin clothing completely. Amazing how they make you do all these ridiculous survival quests for an NPC to 'learn' stuff you will have already been doing for a while anyway, and yet they do a poo poo job of explaining the trust system and how it's necessary to get important blueprints.

I've completed episode 2 now (after waiting 2 weeks in game for another aurora to show), and I'm honestly not impressed at all with storymode. I appreciated the change in pace from sandbox at first, and the new maps are pretty cool. Plus the first aurora sequence and following the lights to the lodge was genuinely intense and atmospheric (shades of Alan Wake). But the idiotic fetch quests, the awful dialogue, hackneyed story, weak implementation of NPCs and the torrent of bugs have really taken the shine off things. I don't even think they got particularly good performances out of two very talented voice actors. Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to episode 3.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Toast King posted:

I hate to interrupt TLD chat, but has anyone played The Forest recently? I've just started it for the first time last night and am a little overwhelmed by the amount of options.

Any beginner tips in regards to building or just not starving and dying in general? Not sure if I should try to find a nice quiet spot away from people to set up, or spread out a bit etc. Or just what's worth building in general really.

I'm sure some trial and error can teach me plenty, it seems promising so far.

I've been playing this recently and I've been having quite a bit of fun with it. Maybe a lot of this you know already, but here's a few tips:

-Make a bow and arrows ASAP, for hunting animals. This is usually the first thing I do at the start of a game, apart from looting all the suitcases around the plane. I think you combine a stick with rope for it. You can make ropes out of cloth or find them around the world.
-You can pick up small rocks off the ground and throw them at birds to kill them, then take their meat and feathers to make arrows with. 5 feathers + 1 stick makes 5 arrows. You can also build birdhouses that will collect feathers over time for you to take.
-For water, there are little ponds dotted around the island that you can drink and spear-fish from, and those are good places to build camps, but also where enemies tend to patrol. It's a good idea to run down to the beach, kill a sea turtle and make a rainwater collector out of its shell ASAP. Blueberries will quench thirst as well as hunger. You can make a bag for collecting berries out of rabbit hide I think, as well as a waterskin.
-When you start the game, the cannibals will be unaware of your presence at first, and you can hide from them for a very long time, building a camp in secret, especially if you find a good quiet spot. On my last game I managed to last for 2 weeks in-game before they found me, and I already had good defenses set up by then. Once they know you're there and know where your base is, they'll start sending out stronger and stronger groups over time to attack you.
-The traps in this game are hilarious, and can be really effective, but can still be a bit buggy, especially if you build them too close to other structures. It's good and fun to build traps all over the place, but they are especially effective if you build walls to funnel the cannibals into trap-filled chokepoints, like here (I built some of the traps too close to the walls here though):

-Make lots of molotovs with booze+cloth, and fire arrows with booze+cloth+arrows. You'll need lots of them for the tougher enemies. You can also wrap cloth around your axe and set it on fire, and upgrade the damage of your axe with teeth knocked out from enemies + tree sap.
-You can use lizard skin to make armor for yourself, but the most effective armor is bone armor, which is made from 6 bones + 3 cloth I think. Burning corpses will make bones. There's also stealth armor from lizard skin + leaves.

Once you have a bow and are armored up, and have a small camp set up with a drying rack and water collector, then you're pretty much good to go, and can just do whatever from that point on. The survival elements in this game have never been all that difficult, and you can always eat the cannibals if you ever run out of food. There's a million ways to build things and it's fun to just play with it and experiment. I've been playing this for quite a while and there's still a lot of buildings and things that I haven't even tried yet. I just like to run around murdering the cannibals and eating them and building effigies out of their corpses.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 8, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In TLD, can someone tell me if Episode 2 is worth continuing on? I just started it and [spoilers]I DIDN'T GET TO KEEP THE loving GUN?! ONTOP OF THAT, Why can't I raid that dude's cupboards and poo poo. Also Also, I have, literally, 18 pills of Anti-biotics, and 4 bottles of anti-septic, why can't I clean the wound my loving self. Ontop of that, it looks like I'm supposed to go cleeeeeear across the map and back, and I imagine it's not going to be a straight shot. Is the map in Episode 2 smaller than it looks? Is Episode 2 going to be a shitton of terrible fetch quests?[/spoiler]

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ep 2 has much, much higher highs than ep 1 but take the worst parts of ep 1 and stick them in mystery lake and wow it sucks real bad.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Episode 2 has an NPC sending you on a mission across two maps, which is an adventure in itself and actually has a really cool moment in it. But after your little adventure and the hike back, during which time you will obviously have been surviving day to day, harvesting mushrooms, repairing clothes and other basic poo poo, he then gives you a bunch of lovely fetch quests to ... harvest mushrooms and berries and other basic poo poo, all to teach you about the survival basics you already loving know about by that point. It's completely idiotic. I mean, the first two NPCs basically have the same quests: "I'm old, sick and useless, so go and get all the food I need for winter, Mainlander Outsider who doesn't know poo poo about anything."

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
That sucks how badly TLD screwed up story mode. I haven't played in a while (since the last UI overhaul) but was planning on jumping back in when they released story. Sounds miserable though, if I fire it back up it'll be sandbox.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The thing is, I kinda beat sandbox already. I can survive indefinitely even on Interloper, so unless they add mod support, new areas or mechanics I likely won't play the game again. Too bad, it has such huge potential.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

Episode 2 has an NPC sending you on a mission across two maps, which is an adventure in itself and actually has a really cool moment in it. But after your little adventure and the hike back, during which time you will obviously have been surviving day to day, harvesting mushrooms, repairing clothes and other basic poo poo, he then gives you a bunch of lovely fetch quests to ... harvest mushrooms and berries and other basic poo poo, all to teach you about the survival basics you already loving know about by that point. It's completely idiotic. I mean, the first two NPCs basically have the same quests: "I'm old, sick and useless, so go and get all the food I need for winter, Mainlander Outsider who doesn't know poo poo about anything."

This is what ruins story mode's momentum. The pacing of the quests is all messed up - the first NPC you meet should've been the one who teaches you about survival and then you could go on to having more elaborate quests for people, like fixing the gun or killing the bear.

It's a shame since like I wrote I can feel the actual story beneath there and it's sorta interesting but the busywork and stupid progression actively tries to keep me from getting invested.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yo heads up about the Gray Mother early on be sure to talk to her just after you stock your fridge, a more elaborate trust bartering setup shows up and she can provide you a couple of nice perks, most notably the blueprint for rabbit-hide mittens. her favorite input is rabbit hide, so it actually is worthwhile to stun and kill those rabbits early on, even if/especially if you just leave them in her house until you're ready to trade in the hides. that said, i wouldn't worry too much about farming it because that improvised knife you start with comes out of your hand in pretty bad shape and i'm honestly not sure it will survive the abuse carving up all of those rabbits would require.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kenzie posted:

stuff about the forest

this sounds really cool, i guess i might have to check it out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
TLD's story mode was written by a non-writer, and holy poo poo it shows. I doubt he let an editor touch it, either. It's full of cliches and hyper-practical 'the player has to know this now, so we'll tell them, done' writing.

I'm not even joking. The same guy is the owner of Hinterland, creative director, PR person(who managed to garner a lot of ill will by having the world's thinnest skin), and writer.

Kekekela posted:

That sucks how badly TLD screwed up story mode. I haven't played in a while (since the last UI overhaul) but was planning on jumping back in when they released story. Sounds miserable though, if I fire it back up it'll be sandbox.
For what it's worth it's still fun exploring new areas and playing differently than you normally would(unless you normally play as a nomad who doesn't craft much of anything). Just...don't expect good writing. Or interesting quests.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My biggest gripe right now is that you can't play in Milton in sandbox. There's no good reason for it, really.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

TLD's story mode was written by a non-writer, and holy poo poo it shows. I doubt he let an editor touch it, either. It's full of cliches and hyper-practical 'the player has to know this now, so we'll tell them, done' writing.

"It's not about what's in here, it's about what's in here. You aren't going to kill the bear with your head. You're going to kill him with your heart."

just ... lol

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also everything to do with Grey Mother.

"Hey, have you seen a woman pass through here?"
"I'm blind, idiot outsider. Also I heard someone pass through during a blizzard, but I couldn't hear all of it because of the blizzard, but if you bring me firewood I'll tell you what I heard during the blizzard."
*fetch quest*

"Oh, you're not a completely useless piece of poo poo outsider. Yes, I heard a woman pass through in a hurry during the blizzard. Bring me some food and I'll tell you what I know."
*fetch quest*

"Yes, I heard a woman pass through here. During a blizzard. She was in a hurry and also in trouble. But I have no idea what happened because I couldn't hear it all thanks to the blizzard, so go see for yourself."
*PERSEVERANCE*

"Tunnel's collapsed."
"I'm doomed. Also PERSEVERANCE is probably referencing this other town."

"gently caress this, you've told me nothing useful, I'm leaving"
"But then you'll die like all the rest, outsider."
*pause*
"Alright outsider, take these beads to someone waiting in the graveyard and you'll learn the truth."
"Buh, why would someone be waiting in the graveyard???"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I never had issue with the lack of a jump button in TLD until I fell between a railing and a wall and now am slowly starving to death.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I am now a rock sniper in TLD and it feels drat good. Rabbits are just a slightly mobile form of meat storage.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

I am now a rock sniper in TLD and it feels drat good. Rabbits are just a slightly mobile form of meat storage.

Am I right that your thumb is basically the aiming reticle?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Am I right that your thumb is basically the aiming reticle?

Sort of? Can't find a pic online to illustrate of it, but: starting from the inner edge of the knuckle crease on the thumb, I go up and left about 10 - 15 degrees from vertical, one half inch distance (my screens are 23") from the crease. This is about right for rabbits about 25 or so feet away, obviously it arcs so I had to practice it awhile to start doing it consistently. Now I hit them about 80% of the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I find it's easiest to just line yourself up with their travel path, because the rocks roll with incredible force, apparently. I usually hit them so far away that I have to sprint to grab them and it's a real crapshoot when the rabbit wakes up and scampers around my feet, avoiding a rain of hurled stones.

:3:

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
What's the best map to start with? I've hardly played any of TLD really. I managed a couple of days on mystery lake before I ran out of food and got lost in a blizzard.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Deketh posted:

What's the best map to start with? I've hardly played any of TLD really. I managed a couple of days on mystery lake before I ran out of food and got lost in a blizzard.

coastal highway is p. easy for a beginner

so i bought the forest, and fort planning & building is really fun, as well as stalking the cannibals at night and luring them to traps etc. but my god the loving grinding is so goddamn boring and it's like, 75% of the game if you want to build anything cool. jeez i'm gonna have to use cheat codes or something soon or i'll get bored to chopping down trees and collecting rocks.

i wish i could like, enslave a couple of cannibals.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 10, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Deketh posted:

Mystery Lake is the typically recommended starter map. The weather's usually not super terrible, there's a decent mix of wilderness and buildings, and it's not insanely full of wolves.

Coastal Highway has ridiculous amounts of supplies & shelter, but also ridiculous amounts of wolves. Not a bad second choice.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

so i bought the forest, and fort planning & building is really fun, as well as stalking the cannibals at night and luring them to traps etc. but my god the loving grinding is so goddamn boring and it's like, 75% of the game if you want to build anything cool. jeez i'm gonna have to use cheat codes or something soon or i'll get bored to chopping down trees and collecting rocks.

i wish i could like, enslave a couple of cannibals.

Yeah I was looking at some of the youtube playthroughs of that game where they build massive elevated fortresses using hundreds and hundreds of logs and that's kinda ridiculous. I usually just like to build a couple of small camps throughout the island that I can run between in case I get overrun, with some wall sections and trap-filled areas here and there to thin out the cannibals. You can also knock down several trees at once using explosives, but I haven't really done that yet, since I want to save the explosives for the big scary mutants. It also helps that you can use the log sleds to store sticks and rocks and not just logs. It took me way too long to figure that out. You can make extra bags to let you carry more sticks and rocks in your inventory too but I forget how.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Forest had so much promise and it's still pretty fun but they turned it into a basebuilding/trap game that feels more like a grindy tower defense than real survival.

There should have been much more being chased through the woods, exploring freaky cannibal camps, searching for downed survivors etc. You get powerful too fast and the enemies are funny instead of frightening.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

the black husserl posted:

The Forest had so much promise and it's still pretty fun but they turned it into a basebuilding/trap game that feels more like a grindy tower defense than real survival.

There should have been much more being chased through the woods, exploring freaky cannibal camps, searching for downed survivors etc. You get powerful too fast and the enemies are funny instead of frightening.

Have you played it on hard mode? On hard mode the giant mutants are supposed to come out earlier, all the enemies are stronger, the survival elements are supposed to be more difficult and so on.

Normal is way too easy - once I get bone armor, a short wall and a field of traps set up, the enemies just aren't a threat at all. The only time they will hit me is when they run up behind me and sucker punch me, and they do little damage anyways. On my last game I had like four bone baskets all filled up with hundreds of bones from the dozens of bodies I piled up and burned. I had so many bones I made a few bone chandeliers just to get rid of some of them. The giant mutants were still pretty scary to me though, especially if there are like three of them coming at you. A lot of the base building elements don't seem at all necessary tbh. They're just there to gently caress around with for fun. I haven't beaten the game, but I think you're supposed to go exploring down into the caves to finish the story, and you don't need a huge base to do that. I don't think a lot of people really care about the story though (like me), and just want to run around playing Cannibal Holocaust Lumberjack Simulator 2017.

The problem with so many of these survival games is that they have a reverse difficulty curve. A normal game is supposed to start easy and get harder as you progress, and survival games always start hard and get much easier instead. They plop you into their world with nothing and expect you to scrounge for stuff, and that's always the hardest and most compelling part, but once you get established, they just get easy and boring. Some of my most memorable moments from The Long Dark were when I just started the game, didn't know the layout of the world, and I was desperately trying to survive, starving and freezing and getting lost in blizzards, only to stumble upon a scrap of food and temporary shelter to keep me going for a little bit longer, only to be forced back out into the freezing wind again to look for more food again.

I still haven't tried the story mode for TLD yet. It's a shame that so many people say that it sucks.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I played a little bit of TLD and it's a really cool game. I don't understand what the long term goal is though, other than looting everything and trying to stay alive? I don't build anything, right? Just try to loot dog food and not get eaten by wolves. I do like the game in either case though, very atmospheric and mean, just the way I like it.

I'm currently sitting in some dark dank-rear end cabin, there are wolves outside and my lantern ran outta juice. It's dark and everything is bad. I got some knife but I assume doing a bum deathmatch with a wolf is a bad idea nevertheless.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

long term goal is don't die, that's about it really

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Fewd posted:

I played a little bit of TLD and it's a really cool game. I don't understand what the long term goal is though, other than looting everything and trying to stay alive? I don't build anything, right?
In the long term you'll need to do some gear crafting & wildlife hunting, but yeah that's pretty much it. I honestly like how there's no base building other than 'where do I want to stash all of my poo poo?', but that's just me.

The challenges are good if you need a bit of direction. Going for 100% area exploration is fun, too - this is a gorgeous game & having all hand-crafted maps is a huge strength.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like The Forest is best played in Hardcore mode.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Haifisch posted:

having all hand-crafted maps is a huge strength.

Yeah, I actual got an old Everquest vibe from them (in a good way)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm playing the story mode for TLD and i have a couple of questions.

1: In the first area, Milton, I just used torches, walked towards wolves and they would run crying over the horizon and i thought "man, i got these wolves figured out". But while working for Jeremiah this trick doesn't really work anymore for some reason. Are there some not obvious ways to deal with wolves without using ammo/flares? Except avoiding them entirely ofc.

2: The Aurora Borealis came back, electric stuff worked again, there were green wolves and i said "well gently caress that" and went inside and to bed again. How does that work exactly? I got Terraria Blood Moon vibes from it.

3: Is there a way to increase carrying capacity later in the story or in the freeplay mode?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
1: Building a fire will drive wolves away entirely, and I think the effect starts as soon as you start the process. That said it's also a waste of matches/tinder/firewood. If you do get into melee with a wolf, pick the hatchet instead of your fists or the metal shard - hatchet wounds can make a wolf bleed and eventually die. It'll get a replacement in a couple days, but enjoy a slightly less wolfy area in the meantime. (And remember to harvest the meat if you can track down its corpse - it should leave a trail of blood until it gets snowed over)

3: Nope. 30kg is what you get. Although it doesn't matter as much in freeplay, since there aren't periodic "you can only take your weight limit to the next chapter" gates & "you can't go back to grab stuff from this area's stashes ever again" gates.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I played The Forest some time ago and generally enjoyed it except for a few things:

1) There was some dumb bug that prevented me from harvesting limbs and heads from corpses so I couldn't make totems;
2) The enemies would never leave me the hell alone (I understand this is the point). It got so bad that I couldn't even build a base before some massive leggy thing emerged from the depths to kill me.

Now I see they've added a weight management metagame? It sounds kind of irritating to manage.

Is the game any different now? How do you avoid giant swarms of idiots attacking you over and over?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're stealthy you can avoid the cannibals for quite a long time. There's a steam guide that goes into detail about the mechanics of how to be pacifist. It's actually pretty interesting. Here's the guide

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Vasler posted:

Is the game any different now? How do you avoid giant swarms of idiots attacking you over and over?

I think that's why you would want multiple camps around the island that you can run to and hide in. Once they know you're there and where your base is they will keep on attacking with more and more strength. If you run away and hide for a while they will calm down.

I've never seen that corpse bug, but they probably would have fixed it by now. They release updates pretty regularly, with the newest one a couple days ago.

For all the bugs and little flaws in the game (early access and all), it has some of the most interesting AI. Like how some of the cannibals won't attack you but just watch you from a distance. The skinny starving cannibals will always be hostile, and they will eat each other if one of them dies, but I love how the more human looking ones don't always attack. If you get too close to them they will call for help or maybe just run away, or fight in self defense, or just try to intimidate you. It seems like the more hostile you are to the cannibals, the more hostile they will be to you.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just put about 20 hours into Subnautica and I think that's all I'm going to get out of it. Got a base, got a Cyclops, but I'm not feeling the urge to advance beyond the first part of the "plot". I'd still like a game with base building and defense and exploration, but I really do like the feeling in Subnautica of "I'm safe in my submarine, hanging out in the dark, crafting some stuff and figuring out what to do next."

Is there anything like that hanging around? Is the Forest worth playing in single-player? Is there a Space-nautica with space stations and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I havent really done anythin plot related yet, but ive really enjoyed building a cabin fortress and hunting cannibals during nighttime. I've played maybe 15 hours and it still feels fun and fresh