Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I'd honestly trust Moffat more than Carter with this. I mean, the current storyline is already poo poo, what harm could he possibly do in comparison?

James Wong is confirmed to write and direct two episodes. Since Carter is pretty likely to write all the myth stuff, that leaves at least two episodes from Carter, maybe 3. (Please don't be five :pray:)

e: the sane choice is to watch just the Wong and Morgan Bros eps and call it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

At first I was sad that Robert Patrick wasn't able to come back for season 10 but thank god he didn't for that travesty.

I kind of wonder if originally it was supposed to be Doggett in the last episode of season 10 but Patrick didn't want Doggett to join the conspiracy, and so they switched him out with Reyes.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I basically think almost ANYONE except Chris Carter could pull off a reboot.

I feel like a problem with rebooting X-Files, especially if it was something like a TNG-style continuation of the show with all new characters and all new writers, is that there are enough shows since the 1990s that have been inspired by X-Files, or inspired in turn by those shows, that it might be difficult to see it as recognizably X-Files rather than the latest Fringe or whatever.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I really hope they aren't planning on passing the torch to those younger agents because "Agent Einstein" is too dumb of a name for me to keep watching.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Tonights Twin Peaks had a X-files reference and if you are not watching it you are missing out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I haven't seen the fifth episode of the new season yet, but I thought it was funny that in the original Duchovny's character was in the DEA, but in the new show he's moved over to the FBI.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Denise was loaned to the DEA or collaborated on a case or something. Cooper knows her as a colleague and fellow agent, and in the new season Cole talks about the old days when she worked for him (as compared to the present, where she is his superior or heads a parallel department that handles his staffing requests).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

bobkatt013 posted:

Tonights Twin Peaks had a X-files reference and if you are not watching it you are missing out.

Is it accessible for someone who never saw the old Twin Peaks?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hedrigall posted:

Not one single bit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hedrigall posted:

Nope. You will be super lost if you never watched season 1, season 2, and the movie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool, pushing that to the back of my to-watch queue then

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Season 11 writers list is out: http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-x-files-writers-season-11/

Darin and Glen Morgan, James Wong, and Carter (sigh) are back, along with Gabe Rotter (season 9 writers' assistant), Benjamin Van Allen (season 10 writers' assistant), and Brad Follmer (Chris Carter's assistant, who apparently was who Cary Elwes' character was named after?).

The Morgans and Wong are good, but honestly not super thrilled with the rest. Seems like a lot of Carter's personal circle, which is not a good sign.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's too bad they couldn't somehow get back Frank Spotnitz. Chris Carter being back gives me zero hope for this season.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Cool, pushing that to the back of my to-watch queue then

just fyi those guys are wrong and its brilliantly designed to make zero sense whether youve seen the original show or not

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Season 11 writers list is out: http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-x-files-writers-season-11/

Darin and Glen Morgan, James Wong, and Carter (sigh) are back, along with Gabe Rotter (season 9 writers' assistant), Benjamin Van Allen (season 10 writers' assistant), and Brad Follmer (Chris Carter's assistant, who apparently was who Cary Elwes' character was named after?).

The Morgans and Wong are good, but honestly not super thrilled with the rest. Seems like a lot of Carter's personal circle, which is not a good sign.

I'd honestly rather have had the series just end on that idiotic cliffhanger if this is the writer's room for the next season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As long as we get at least one episode on the level of "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" , the next season will be worth it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

bull3964 posted:

As long as we get at least one episode on the level of "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" , the next season will be worth it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The one with the grafitti golem was fine too.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Rise from your grave! Season 11 of The X-Files will have 10 episodes, of which only two will be mythology episodes, and will have two women in the writer's room.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wonder how awful the resolution of the season 10 cliffhanger is going to be. Massive cop out being pretty much necessary to ensure the show isn't some kind of post apocalyptic show.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

remusclaw posted:

I wonder how awful the resolution of the season 10 cliffhanger is going to be. Massive cop out being pretty much necessary to ensure the show isn't some kind of post apocalyptic show.

pretend all the chris carter eps didn't happen. problem solved.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Antares posted:

pretend all the chris carter eps didn't happen. problem solved.

To be fair to the guy, outside of the man Lizard episode, the only memorable parts of season 10 are the Chris Carter train wrecks.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

remusclaw posted:

Mass contagious hysteria. An episode of House did it.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

remusclaw posted:

Turns out it was just Venus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's not like they haven't copped out on apocalyptic finales before. Millennium season 3 redacted a world-destroying plague into a bunch of people in Portland dying.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

Turns out it was just Venus.

I really hope they bring back that guy's subterranean reincarnation sex cult.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

remusclaw posted:

Did they ever both addressing the fact that 2012 came and went without an alien invasion?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

BrandonGK posted:

Did they ever both addressing the fact that 2012 came and went without an alien invasion?

Yeah. Turns out that the entire first nine seasons worth of mythology episodes were a cover-up to hide the real plot. So season 10 was already a massive cop out of a cliffhanger resolution.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Yeah. Turns out that the entire first nine seasons worth of mythology episodes were a cover-up to hide the real plot. So season 10 was already a massive cop out of a cliffhanger resolution.

That was a :jerkbag: development if there ever was one.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They could always say the last episode was just more of Mulder tripping balls. It'd be stupid but probably not as stupid as what they're going to go with.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

remusclaw posted:

The sad part is that it's already a retread of a story they did ages ago and better. Redux is a way better mythology 2 parter than My Struggle.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read that Annabeth Gish is back for the new season, too. Hopefully something better than her role last season.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What percent of the runtime will be scully crying

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What percent of the runtime will be scully crying

Well, Baby William is supposed to be the central plotline of the season, so....

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Chairman Capone posted:

Awwww gently caress.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Any news about Robert Patrick, or is he done with the X-Files altogether?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

:yikes:

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

McSpanky posted:

That was a :jerkbag: development if there ever was one.

There were countless scenes of the consortium members discussing the aliens and colonization amongst themselves with no reason to lie. What? Were they all being punked by an even more powerful secret society of global elites?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BrandonGK posted:

There were countless scenes of the consortium members discussing the aliens and colonization amongst themselves with no reason to lie. What? Were they all being punked by an even more powerful secret society of global elites?

(Chris Carter voice) Or were there???????

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BrandonGK posted:

Bring on the Lizard People as the new, real, mean-it-this-time villains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Any news about Robert Patrick, or is he done with the X-Files altogether?

He wasn't available to do the last season because of his commitments to Scorpion. Depending on when they shoot this one, he might be busy again.

• Locked thread