Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Me? I've always been Shia. -Gulp- Ali all the way. Heh heh, yeah. Why do you ask?

New Ulema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
drat, the new Ulema icon looks good, but I'm going to commit to the

Although in all honesty, I believe that there should be a Free Thinkers faction promoting minority rights and unironic Satanic peacock worship especially :getin: .

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I stand with the merchants!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
New Taifas:

Let's have more wars, surely we will not regret this.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

This is clearly the time for even more wars.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Updated tally, let me know if I missed something:

- 23 - Crazycryodude, Ralepozozaxe, Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Grizzwold, punched my v-card at camp, RZApublican, ThatBasqueGuy, catlord, Luhood, HiHo ChiRho, sheep-dodger, unwantedplatypus, Frionnel, the JJ, Mr_Autoshades, Rubix Squid, QuoProQuid, ZearothK, everydayfalls, Snipee, Odysseus S. Grant, Archaeology Hat.

- 15 - GunnerJ, Captain Oblivious, WilliamAnderson, Technowolf, paragon1, Talas, Soup du Jour, NewMars, The Bold Kobold, MuteAllison, mcclay, Danny Glands, Aeromancia, Ikasuhito, Camoes.

- 8 - AJ_Impy, Erwin the German, Picard Day, Buzzsaw Roomba, Slaan, Chatrapati, devildragon777, Vinny Possum.

Edit: also, thanks for sweet new avatar.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 9, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Joining Ulema!

Our country needs to heal! I won't start out by demanding conversions! But we need to raise development! Build mosques!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snipee posted:

drat, the new Ulema icon looks good, but I'm going to commit to the

Although in all honesty, I believe that there should be a Free Thinkers faction promoting minority rights and unironic Satanic peacock worship especially :getin: .

I think right now that's the Merchants.

Speaking of which...I stand with them. Obviously the Taifas will likely need to take the lead in prosecuting the war as it stands, but we must be ever vigiliant to defend our rights that have been hard won. We must ensure that those who would subvert our victories and oppress our people.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think right now that's the Merchants.

Speaking of which...I stand with them. Obviously the Taifas will likely need to take the lead in prosecuting the war as it stands, but we must be ever vigiliant to defend our rights that have been hard won. We must ensure that those who would subvert our victories and oppress our people.

I think that's the faction that's getting added in the next update. I just want the merchants to worry about making us money right now.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Mercantile strength.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Merchants. The Taifa is totally going to win, and that's fine and that's good, but I'd also like to make sure we rebuild a navy and start working to get some of the pacific colonies if possible.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

No matter what, the Merchants absolutely have to maintain at least the #2 slot for the rest of the game. We can't afford to turn off colonization again, there's too much ground to make up even with taking poo poo off of France/Morocco/the Natives.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Only the Ulema has never led us to ruin

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

I join the Lying in an unmarked grave faction

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Long live Sultan Utman, blessed by God.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

gbuchold posted:

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Long live Sultan Utman, blessed by God.

Cool your jets amigos. I know it's hot down there, but yer gonna screw the pooch!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

gbuchold posted:

Beautiful.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

The merchants have my support as always.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

gbuchold posted:

:ghost: I propose a merger between our factions. :ghost:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Chapter 20 – World of 1700

: Assalamu alaykum, and a good morning to this assembly’s most noble emirs and sheikhs, most worthy merchants and traders, most honoured imams and muftis.

: This is a tenuous time for Iberia, as I’m sure no one needs reminding, and we must be wary in our walk lest we trip and doom this noble sultanate. So whilst the initial factions of the Majlis Meeting were being hammered out, I set a small party of learned scholars, navigators and cartographers to mapping out everything we know of the world, along with detailed notes on many of its kings and queens.

: I hope the information and intelligence we’ve gleaned proves useful in your policy-drafting. I’m sure you’re all very busy, however, so let’s get down to business.

: To begin with the most blessed and prosperous nation on Allah’s earth, the Sultanate of Al Andalus has been through a difficult few years.

: I will not reiterate the many toils my kingdom has been put through, instead I’ll get straight down to facts. The peoples of Iberia are many and varied, with the dominant Arab-Andalusi casting a large shadow over the Castilian, Catalan and Aragonese peoples, along with a scattering of other minorities.

: In addition to this, the religious landscape of the peninsula has dramatically changed over the past century. Though Sunni Islam is still dominant, minority faiths have sunk their roots deep, with the Shia, Zikri and Yazidi sects have all multiplied in recent years.

: With the population covered, let’s move on to the state of governance. Obviously, I currently rule as Sultan of Al Andalus, with my younger brother Ibrahim serving as my heir until I have a son.

: And whilst the Jizrunids have survived the past century, the Reformed Taifa system has not. The Fitna of al-Andalus raged for ten long years, with the Majlis emerging triumphant after a dogged fight, transforming the sultanate into a Constitutional Monarchy and ensuring that no Sultan would ever again rule with impunity.

: The ascendence of the Majlis has also seen a blossoming of its values, with many persons in this very hall calling for tolerance, tolerance for minority cultures who REBELLED against our rule, tolerance for divergent faiths that THREATEN our values, tolerance for those who would seek to DESTROY THE VERY FOUNDATIONS OF THIS SULTANATE!

: Ahem. I apologise, got a bit carried away. To, um, move past the rights of the dhimmi peoples, the past hundred years has also seen an increasing focus on the military, the most vital tools of any nation. Already, a new generation of officers and soldiers are being trained and inducted into the Mubazirun, now sworn to serve the Majlis above all else.

: Meeting the same fate as the army, the Fitna of al-Andalus also destroyed the economy of Iberia, with thousands slaughtered and trade plummeting all across the peninsula. The sultanate is now heavily indebted to Provencal moneylenders and Italian banks, who hold a stranglehold over our finances until we can right them.

: Slowly but surely, however, we are beginning to recover. All unnecessary expenses have been cut, inflation is being curbed in, shipments of gold are put to repaying loans...

: And that should bring the first section of this briefing to an end. With the affairs of Iberia now fresh in the mind, we can take a step back and have a better look at Europe, the gears that turn the world.

: The two behemoths of the continent are still the Kingdom of France and the Celtic Empire, both of whom are currently embroiled in a bloody war.

: The ó Kildare dynasty still rules in Hibernia, an unbroken line that stretches back to the Middle Ages, when the crowns of Ireland and Scotland were still separated. In France, on the other hand, the Elective Monarchy was abolished in favour of absolutism by the Bo’ilas kings, who once reigned in the Kingdom of Italy.

: Two rapidly rising powers are beginning to nibble at the heels of France and the Celtic Empire, however. The Grand Duchy of Bavaria and Kingdom of Provence are closely allied with one another, with Bavaria eager for revenge against France for its heavy defeats during the League War.

: Provence, meanwhile, tells a very different story. Once a powerful Merchant Republic whose influence stretched from Gharbia in the west to the Holy Land in the east, Provence collapsed to a dictatorship after its republican ideals were eroded through constant corruption and nepotism, with the d’Anjou dictator declaring himself King of Provence and Occitania shortly afterwards.

: That covers the great powers of Europe, but before moving on to the rest of the world, let us linger for a moment with Palermo.

: The Jizrunid Emirs of Palermo were on the rise not too long ago, very nearly uniting the entirety of the Italian peninsula under the banner of Sunni Islam. A devastating civil war and disastrous defeat by Provence has brought their ascendance to a sudden halt, however, with the emirate now confined to southern Italy.

: That brings the powers of Europe to an end, so let's move southward and consider the two dominant kingdoms of North Africa: Morocco and Crusader Egypt.

: The Almoravids of Morocco have been arch-rivals to the Jizrunids of Al Andalus for centuries now, rivalled to one another both politically and religiously. Whilst Andalusia descended into civil war, however, Morocco managed to expand its colonial holdings until they stretched from Gharbia to the East Indies. They now present a formidable threat to Muslim Iberia, and a reckoning is quickly becoming inevitable.

: Crusader Egypt, meanwhile, could prove to be a useful ally in the event of war. The beacon of Christendom in the Middle East, the Crusaders are surrounded by enemies in every direction, surviving through a combination of feudalistic zealotry and sheer luck.

: Now, let us push eastward and towards the Holy Land, the crossroads of empires. Apart from Crusader Egypt itself, the Near East had largely been dominated by the Vakhtani Caliphate for centuries without interference, an empire that stretched from Constantinople to Jerusalem. In recent years, however, the hold of the Armenians has begun to falter, with its rivals encroaching on its borders and inciting constant wars that gradually bled their resources dry.

: Unless the Caliph manages to unite his diverse territories under a common cause once more, then the next century may well witness the decline of the Vakhtani Empire.

: If one state benefits from the fall of the Armenians, however, then it would their neighbours in the Vali Emirate. The small Kurdish dynasty has rapidly expanded into Arabia and Persia over the past century, rising from an insignificant city-state to become an influential voice in the region.

: Pushing further north, the vast swathes of bitterly cold land that makes up Eastern Europe has come to be dominated by two great powers: Smolensk and Novgorod.

: The destruction of Orthodox Russia was once a very real threat, as the Mongols swept aside any resistance that the weak principalities of Rus put up. The Muslim onslaught was only brought to a halt by an alliance between the two largest Russian kingdoms, who have since risen to dominate everything from Poland to Siberia.

: Both kingdoms are currently ruled by regents, but a Rurikid prince is poised to become Tsar of Smolensk, the heir of an ancient and famous dynasty. Novgorod, meanwhile, has seen prosperous years under the Roman dynasty, their domains now stretching from Scandinavia to Siberia.

: That brings us up to date with the affairs of the principal western powers, so let us move further east, starting with Persia.

: The Farzadid Shahs of Persia were once the greatest dynasty in the Muslim world, with everything from Baluchistan to Trebizond ruled from Isfahan. But the venerable dynasty has since died out, with their empire exploding into half a dozen warring principalities as it did so, allowing the foreign powers of Vali, Pishinoglu and Khwarezm to rapidly expand into its remnants.

: Further east, meanwhile, India is similarly divided between a handful of large, rich kingdoms. Along the southern end of the subcontinent, meanwhile, the Almoravid Sultanate of Morocco has gradually been expanding, bringing large parts of Ceylon and Madurai under its rule.

: The immensely rich and enormously influential Cedi family did nothing to stymie the Berber advance, however. Ruling over the twin powers of Delhi and Gondwana, the Cedi Rajas were too focused on their own petty conflicts and family squabbles to see their approaching demise.

: And with that, we finally come to the eastern reaches of the old world.

: With the fall of the Great Feng Empire, the vast lands and rich coasts of China has become a permanent warzone, with devastating bloodshed exploding between the fiercely-rivalled powers every few months. As the months turned to years and the years to decades, China has gradually come to be known as the "Land of a Thousand Emperors", all constantly feuding with one another as they attempted to usurp the Mandate of Heaven.

: Southeast Asia, on the other hand, in carved between two or three regional powers. The Mahayana and Jainist thallocracies of Jangala and Poni are fiercely rivalled to one another, regularly clashing as both attempt to wrench the rich trade straits from one another.

: That brings everything we know of the old world to an end, so let us shift our eyes to the rich and prosperous continents to the west: Gharbia.

: The southern continent is still a ring of opportunistic wars as a handful of colonial powers jostle for territory and influence, though Morocco and Provence are definitely leading the race, together ruling over half the continent. France and the Celtic Empire also lay claim to vast stretches of land, however, with the native empires of Charca and Inca still clinging on to the eastern shores.

: The northern continent is where the jewel of the Andalusi Empire lays, however, in our autonomous Muqti of Ibriz. The Hishami family rule as hereditary governors, responsible for everything from maintaining a standing army to mining for gold.

: Ibriz isn’t exactly… large, however, with constant feuds and wars in the old world hampering its expansion in the new. This has allowed Morocco and the Celtic Empire to quickly grow in the Caribbean and Albionoria, whilst the exiled kingdom of New England rules the eastern seaboard. The native Tlapanec Empire has also survived the initial waves of colonisation, whilst the Polynesian Waono kingdom has gradually risen to dominate the western coast.

: That brings our collection of maps to an end. In the interest of giving the Majlis an informed account of the powers of the world, however, I’ve also managed to gather a collection of statistics that I’m sure many here will be interested in.

: First, the largest army in our region (and possibly the world) is almost definitely that of France, whose levies had swollen to almost 100000 men before our brave Andalusi Army crushed them on the field. Both Novgorod and the Celtic Empire are close runner-ups, however, with each boasting an army numbering 80000 men. We are... faltering in that department, admittedly, but one Andalusi is equal to ten Frenchmen!

: Next, let us consider something very important to our sultanate: the navy.

: The Andalusi Fleet was annihilated during the Fitna, and our deep debt and constant war has prevented its reconstruction. In our place, the Celtic Empire and Morocco now rule the waves, presenting a serious problem whenever war arises between our nations. We'll have to construct a new war fleet sooner or later, or our colonies will never be safe.

: This is all very daunting, I’m sure, but I can also provide this assembly with some good news. Qadis – the capital of Iberia – is amongst the most populous and richest cities in the world, unequalled throughout Europe and beyond.

: In addition to this, we are still very influential on the world market, the prestige of Al Andalus is not so easily eroded! And once we can get our trade fleet up and running again, we’re sure to have a dominating hand in all the most valuable trade nodes.

: The past century has been hard on our peninsula, there is no denying that, but I’m certain that a stronger and more powerful Al Andalus shall rise from its ashes. I promise you all, when we come knocking, all the world will hear.

: And that, my good lords, brings this talk to an end. I hope it enlightened many a man in this hall, and will help mould the shape of your future policies. Al Andalus shall be ascendant once more!

Political world map:

Religion world map:

Culture world map:

Technology world map:

Our current techs:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 10, 2019

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Faction reshuffling is over!:siren: The New Taifas are the dominating faction, with the Merchants second-largest and the Reformed Ulema smallest.

- 23 - Crazycryodude, Ralepozozaxe, Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Grizzwold, punched my v-card at camp, RZApublican, ThatBasqueGuy, catlord, Luhood, HiHo ChiRho, sheep-dodger, unwantedplatypus, Frionnel, the JJ, Mr_Autoshades, Rubix Squid, QuoProQuid, ZearothK, everydayfalls, Snipee, Odysseus S. Grant, Archaeology Hat.

- 19 - GunnerJ, Captain Oblivious, WilliamAnderson, Technowolf, paragon1, Talas, Soup du Jour, NewMars, The Bold Kobold, MuteAllison, mcclay, Danny Glands, Aeromancia, Ikasuhito, Camoes, Yvonmukluk, Lynneth, Yessod, TyrsHTML.

- 12 - AJ_Impy, Erwin the German, Picard Day, Buzzsaw Roomba, Slaan, Chatrapati, devildragon777, Vinny Possum, Affi, Nine of Eight.

It’s time of a policy session, but a couple things are altered. Firstly, policies can have no more than three directives, which just means that no single policy can demand more than three things. Hopefully this’ll cut back on the bloated bills, but if necessary, I’ll reduce it to two in the future.

In addition to this, coalitions are banned for this session. Only temporarily, they’ll be back for the next Majlis Meeting, when I can introduce a fourth faction.

---

Policy Session

For more information on policies, available buildings and diplomatic actions, click here, and scroll beneath the chapter list.

Policy Restrictions

The New Taifas can submit two policies, the League of Merchants one and the Reformed Ulema one.

The New Taifas are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies, except for those that apply to other factions.

The League of Merchants are the second-largest faction, so colonisation can now only be done through policies. If you want me to focus on a particular area to colonise, say so in your policy.

The Reformed Ulema are the smallest faction, so there will be no province conversion, through policies or otherwise. There may be an increase in Sunni rebellion as well, since they’ll see the clergy as weak enough to revolt.

No policies can include the moving of the current capital, Cádiz.

No policies can have more than three directives.

Coalitions

Coalitions are temporarily banned.

Buildings

A lot has been unlocked since last time, including: the Great Mosque, Town Halls, Stock Exchange, Drydock, Grand Shipyard, Conscription Centre.

For more information on available buildings and their effects, click here.

State of Affairs

Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Ruling Faction: n/a
Permitted Factions: The New Taifas, the League of Merchants, the Reformed Ulema
Rivals: France, Morocco, Celtic Empire
Alliances: none
Subjects: none
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 1/5
Treasury: 400 gold (2639 in debt)
Current net income: -16 gold/month

---

With that done, the floor is now open for policies. Here are the icon links:

code:

New Taifas: [img]https://lpix.org/2786920/Taifas.png[/img]

League of Merchants: [img]https://lpix.org/2786922/Merchants.png[/img]

Reformed Ulema: [img]https://lpix.org/2885768/newulema.png[/img]

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

withdrawn

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 9, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Honestly Rodyle, i'd support your act if you hadn't included that last war there. That's a bit too much for a single session. Remember we're still broke and have a lovely navy, it would be a disaster.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I submit the Andalusi Restoration Act:

1. Continue the war with France until we are in a position to re-annex the territories they occupied in the Fitna, unless the other powers at war with France make peace early.

2. When the war with France is concluded, annex Portugal.

3. If both of these goals are accomplished reasonably quickly, invade the Tlapanec Empire and seize as much as possible, to begin extracting resources for the reconstruction of Al-Andalus.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I submit the Andalusi Restoration Act:

1. Continue the war with France until we are in a position to re-annex the territories they occupied in the Fitna, unless the other powers at war with France make peace early.

2. When the war with France is concluded, annex Portugal.

3. If both of these goals are accomplished reasonably quickly, invade the Tlapanec Empire and seize as much as possible, to begin extracting resources for the reconstruction of Al-Andalus.

Now this i can support.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Honestly Rodyle, i'd support your act if you hadn't included that last war there. That's a bit too much for a single session. Remember we're still broke and have a lovely navy, it would be a disaster.

I would imagine that the merchants intend to rebuild our navy with their bill.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

We need at least 21 heavy ships to match theirs, that's a lot of money and we still have loans to pay! Not even speaking of manpower, we have only 8k at the moment and will probably burn through all of it fighting France, while Morocco can afford to basically replace almost their entire army.

How about we leave war against Morocco to it's own session, preferably the next one if things go well?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Frionnel posted:

We need at least 21 heavy ships to match theirs, that's a lot of money and we still have loans to pay! Not even speaking of manpower, we have only 8k at the moment and will probably burn through all of it fighting France, while Morocco can afford to basically replace almost their entire army.

How about we leave war against Morocco to it's own session, preferably the next one if things go well?

Yeah, expanding our Mexican colony and getting more mines will certainly make building a navy easier. If we can connect our North American colonies, defending them in colonial wars would also be more efficient.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Now this i can support.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Remember guys that we Taifas get to submit two policies, so regardless of which one wins, Rodyle's or Cyrahzax's, our second policy should probably not be basically the same thing plus another war.

Any ideas anyone?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Remember guys that we Taifas get to submit two policies, so regardless of which one wins, Rodyle's or Cyrahzax's, our second policy should probably not be basically the same thing plus another war.

Any ideas anyone?

We could have a building act. How useful are conscription centers?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hashim posted:

: With the fall of the Great Feng Empire, the vast lands and rich coasts of China has become a permanent warzone, with devastating bloodshed exploding between the fiercely-rivalled powers every few months. As the months turned to years and the years to decades, China has gradually come to be known as the "Land of a Thousand Emperors", all constantly feuding with one another as they attempted to usurp the Mandate of Heaven.

Dammit Japan! :negative:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ikasuhito posted:

Dammit Japan! :negative:

Yeah, got no clue what's up with them. The mod must've hosed them in some way, because Japan has a large enough army and navy to fight off Manchu+Red Turbans any day.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

We could have a building act. How useful are conscription centers?

Each conscription centre gives you 2 extra force limit.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I submit the You're Gonna Need a Bigger Fleet Act.

Step 1: Get money.
Step 2: Colonize unclaimed Pacific islands.
Step 3: Build a fleet comparable to Morocco.

EDIT: Added suggestion.

Talas fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 9, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Talas posted:

I submit the You're Gonna Need a Bigger Fleet Act.

Step 1: Get money.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Build a fleet comparable to Morocco.

For step 2, I'd recommend 'colonize unclaimed Pacific islands'

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Keep in mind that we're over 2000 ducats in debt, by the way.

Also there's an available idea group if the Taifas/Merchants want something specific.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

:ghost: I propose that we spook the Merchants. :ghost:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Frionnel posted:

Any ideas anyone?

An idea group, totally. Either an economic one to get lots of cash again, or Innovative to synergize with Humanism/lower tech costs

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

How about

Building Bridges
1. Restore our alliances with Bavaria, Provence, and Tunis
2. Soothe our colonial nations (how is up to you)
3. Add more accepted cultures if possible (add them in order from largest group to smallest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I propose the It's the economy, stupid! act. The sultan is to chose Economic as our next idea group and try to get to the idea that gives a permanent -.10 inflation reduction.