Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lezard_valeth posted:

No, what I'm saying is that it's loving hypocrite for people to call the Lannisters evil for going to any extreme to protect themselves while they are cheering for the girl that is a tantrum away from burning the whole country to ashes just because she wants the cool rear end chair that her crazy old pops used to own

Ned was honorable to Cersei and offered her a way to do the right thing and also to save her children. She got him killed for doing the right thing, because she's evil and wanted to keep her family in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

some guy on the bus posted:

Is there anyone rooting for Dany now? Beyond just wanting to see dragons? Is there anyone that actually sympathizes with her mission of starting a war and killing thousands just for the purpose of sitting her rear end on a throne? Her dad was king before she was born but she herself admits that her dad was cruel and evil.

Pretty much everyone doing reaction videos on youtube.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Centrist Democrats living out their frustrated 2016 hopes.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dany is the villain without a doubt right now but are we supposed to see her as the villain?

Is there anyone rooting for Dany now? Beyond just wanting to see dragons? Is there anyone that actually sympathizes with her mission of starting a war and killing thousands just for the purpose of sitting her rear end on a throne? Her dad was king before she was born but she herself admits that her dad was cruel and evil.

The female leader, who literally burned down the patriarchy, has very diverse group of advisers and wants to free the slaves is the villain in this HBO show?

Sorry but this is not Confederate.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

burning down the patriarchy and replacing it with a matriarchy is feminism

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Burning down the patriarchy and replacing it with her treacherous mercenary boyfriend. At least, I think it's Daario who is in control of Meereen.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He returned to his home planet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In It For The Tank posted:

Burning down the patriarchy and replacing it with her treacherous mercenary boyfriend. At least, I think it's Daario who is in control of Meereen.

LOL I just realized Dany's plan for Mereen is the Trump plan floated for Afghanistan.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

Ned was honorable to Cersei and offered her a way to do the right thing and also to save her children. She got him killed for doing the right thing, because she's evil and wanted to keep her family in power.

Are you one of those goons that watches the show with one of their eyes in his phone? That was Joffrey's decision and she and Tywin and pretty much everyone else were against it.

Cersei offered both Ned and Robb a way out by demanding the former to bend the knee and take the black and the latter to swore loyalty to the crown, while getting to keep his position as Warden of the North. Both of which were much more generous offers than Ned's "grab a boat, go live in the countryside and hope Robert never finds you".

But no, both the Starks couldn't put their families/people before their pride and much rathered organize a coup or lead half the country into war. (Ok I lie, Ned did eventually swallow his pride but the little poo poo was already pissed)

This is in fact an important plot point this season where Jon Snow swallows his pride and bends the knee just to get Kelly C to shut the gently caress up about it and go kill some zombies before everyone is doomed.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 9, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jaime's arc is over now because he went back to his sister so he can die so he's dead.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

Are you one of those goons that watches the show with one of their eyes in his phone? That was Joffrey's decision and she and Tywin and pretty much everyone else were against it.

Cersei offered both Ned and Robb a way out by demanding the former to bend the knee and take the black and the latter to swore loyalty to the crown, while getting to keep his position as Warden of the North. Both of which were much more generous offers than Ned's "grab a boat, go live in the countryside and hope Robert never finds you".

But no, both the Starks couldn't put their families/people before their pride and much rathered organize a coup or lead half the country into war. (Ok I lie, Ned did eventually swallow his pride but the little poo poo was already pissed)

This is in fact an important plot point this season where Jon Snow swallows his pride and bends the knee just to get Kelly C to shut the gently caress up about it and go kill some zombies before everyone is doomed.

To be fair, the default option if the law was simply followed would be for Cersei to get executed. So taking that as a default case, Ned offer isn't that bad.

As for Jon bending the knee, he will do so because he loves Dany not because it's the best for his people - if he were just thinking about his people he would have bend it 2 episodes ago.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ned knew Robert very well. He would have killed both Cersei and Jaime and their children which would have in turn pissed Tywin and started a war anyways.

All this started cause Ned wanted to be a bro to his best buddy Bobby B and call out his cheating wife on the incest babies.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Codependent Poster posted:

Cersei didn't want to spend her life running from people wanting to murder her and her children. She outwitted a dimwit.

Cersei did nothing wrong.

GaussianCopula posted:

The female leader, who literally burned down the patriarchy, has very diverse group of advisers and wants to free the slaves is the villain in this HBO show?

Sorry but this is not Confederate.

Cersei is female, is a leader, and also literally burned down the patriarchy as well.

Dany's currently using her freed slaves as tools and treating them as expendable because she wants to rule over a country she knows nothing about for no reason than enormous ego. There's no slaves in Westeros. Dany certainly can't be doing what she's doing now for the slaves.

TheBuilder posted:

Pretty much everyone doing reaction videos on youtube.

Ask them why. What is it about this mass pointless slaughter they find endearing? Remind them about poor Ed Sheeran having to defend his kingdom against this crazy lady on a dragon.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Arya is going to murder her way to the Iron Throne and rule with a murder-y fist. The Night King will see the trail of corpses she leaves and think "You know what? gently caress this noise, these idiots are just going to kill each other anyways." and leave. Thus Arya will save the 5% of Westeros' population she hadn't already killed.

The Hound will be kept around as her put-upon surrogate Dad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want cersei and dany to both lose and that is the only moral position.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Ned knew Robert very well. He would have killed both Cersei and Jaime and their children which would have in turn pissed Tywin and started a war anyways.

All this started cause Ned wanted to be a bro to his best buddy Bobby B and call out his cheating wife on the incest babies.

I lolled how Ned was portrayed as a simpleton in that Fake Sansa titty play.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has anyone mentioned how it's really super relevant that Arya has a Valyrian steel dagger? Valyrian steel that is much more effective at killing white walkers than obsidian is.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cersei didn't want to spend her life running from people wanting to murder her and her children. She outwitted a dimwit.

Cersei did nothing wrong.

Cersei is female, is a leader, and also literally burned down the patriarchy as well.

Dany's currently using her freed slaves as tools and treating them as expendable because she wants to rule over a country she knows nothing about for no reason than enormous ego. There's no slaves in Westeros. Dany certainly can't be doing what she's doing now for the slaves.

Ask them why. What is it about this mass pointless slaughter they find endearing? Remind them about poor Ed Sheeran having to defend his kingdom against this crazy lady on a dragon.

Who do you think should be on the throne?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I am a fan of the Bran time travel theory/ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY9fDuM2lG0

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Gendry the rank outsider will crop up soon and challenge for the throne. In all this time he has been missing, he will have bought significant tracts of land in all the major populated areas and have much loved chains of smithies and steak restaurants. He will have made some great deals, really great deals. The people of Westeros are going to love it. If the fat cats at the Iron bank thinks they're going to threaten Westeros, well they've got another thing coming. This is a grassroots movement, people. Let me introduce my wife, isn't she beautiful. Gorgeous.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Big Bug Hug posted:

Without listening to that, is that Bran is The Night King? Because if so, yes.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Arglebargle III posted:

Jaime's arc is over now because he went back to his sister so he can die so he's dead.

No way, he's going for the kingslayer threepeat.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

13Pandora13 posted:

No way, he's going for the kingslayer threepeat.

The closing moments of the show should be whichever random person left alive at the end of the show (lets say Robin) to sit on the Iron Throne casting nervous glances in the direction of Jamie.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

JaySB posted:

Without listening to that, is that Bran is The Night King? Because if so, yes.

I got like 3m in and she said Bran is Brandon the builder and did everything to prepare and I closed it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Is that being narrated by a woman or a little kid?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Sure, the Lannisters have always been smug rear end in a top hat, and also are blond and blue eyed which in the media apparently increases the smug rear end in a top hat factor by 50, but unlike characters like LF, Roose Bolton, Walder Frey, Daenerys, Margaery the only thing you could say they did for their own benefit was joining Robert's Rebellion at the last minute, while all their others action have been for self preservation.

Only for an insane definition of "self preservation" where you actually mean "gain power at all costs, no matter how many people you have to gently caress up to do it."

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 10, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Who do you think should be on the throne?

Hot Pie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol at the guy defending the lannisters. you don't get to defend actions as "self preservation" when it's their rear end in a top hat actions that got them in the situation they caused them to have to self perserve.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Only for an insane definition of "self preservation" where you actually mean "gain power at all costs, no matter how many people you have to gently caress up to do it."

Yeah this is the truth right here. If she loved her family more than she loved power she would be more upset about Tommen. She's probably glad he killed himself because it gave her full power rather than controlling things behind the scenes.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

WampaLord posted:

At the start of the series the Lannister were already wed into the royal family. They were already standing at the top.

Harton posted:

Yeah this is the truth right here. If she loved her family more than she loved power she would be more upset about Tommen. She's probably glad he killed himself because it gave her full power rather than controlling things behind the scenes.

The writing in the show isn't always consistent (she does still grieve for Myrcella's death in episode 2 for example, her speech is not only vendetta driven), they don't have time to dwell in her mourning and need her to go full Queen of Hearts for the last arc.

Alternatively you can interpret it as she being too far gone by the point Tommen kills himself.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Tommen hosed her over. Joffrey and Myrcella never did.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

At the start of the series the Lannister were already wed into the royal family. They were already standing at the top.

lmao not at all. The Baratheons were on top, and Cersei and crew were taking steps to make them go away already, remember Robert's hunting "accident?"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

WampaLord posted:

lmao not at all. The Baratheons were on top, and Cersei and crew were taking steps to make them go away already, remember Robert's hunting "accident?"

The "accident" happened because Cersei panicked after Ned told her he was gonna tattle tale to Robert.

Like, even Varys spells it out "the wine slowed him down and the boar ripped him open, but it was your "mercy" that killed the King"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The moment when the last remaining relative who doesn't absolutely despise here drives his sword through Cersei's back will be glorious. I hope they frame it to mirror the way he killed the Mad King. Jaime should be lauded as a hero in the end, saving the realm twice. Of course he will die some ignoble end, but, hell, the moment will be worth it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol @ Hot Take Lannister guy

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
[Big time retard voice] The Incest Queen with a 8'2" zombie bodyguard who just gave a huge speech to her chained up rival about how sadistic she is, and who blew up half the city to kill 2 political rivals, is actually hella good, and the Dragon Queen who frees slaves and who could burn the other half of the city down, but won't, is the bad one.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Has anyone mentioned how it's really super relevant that Arya has a Valyrian steel dagger? Valyrian steel that is much more effective at killing white walkers than obsidian is.

Arya learns the Night King touched Bran. Arya thinks the Night King "touched" Brand and adds the Night King to her list.

Inadvertently ends the next Long Night; Dany burns Jon for making poo poo up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

geeves posted:

Arya learns the Night King touched Bran. Arya thinks the Night King "touched" Brand and adds the Night King to her list.

Inadvertently ends the next Long Night; Dany burns Jon for making poo poo up.

That scene in Winterfell where Arya walks in on the sparring match and wants to train with Brienne? She was actually just returning from killing the Night King.

Yes I know The Wall is 300 miles away. I merely assume that there is an off-screen guild of wizards whose only job is to teleport people around at plot-convenient points.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
For the big battle between the Night King and the humans/Rhollor looming there are drat few Red Priests in Westeros helping. Mel hosed off to Essos, Thoros dies next week. Apparently they don't give a poo poo about the big purpose of their religion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Melisandre seems to be the only Red Priestess who's even aware of the others being an actual nation of ice elves that live north of the wall, for the rest of them the Great Other is some mythical apocalyptic figure, even Melisandre didn't concern herself with the others until Davos read the reports about the fist of the first men, in the show there's also the scene where Stannis is seeing a fire-vision of the slaughter at the fist.

The red priests are just clueless idiots who are largely obsessed with the politics of essos and their own zealotry. I think it's fair to assume this has more to do with GRRM's generally negative attitudes toward organized religion than with some oversight on his part.

• Locked thread