Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Don't tell me I'm the first one to have to say Shattered Sword :v:

Edit: Couple recommendations that not everyone has heard of-

Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs, by Steve Davies. A very interesting book that talks about the evolution of American fighter pilot training in the post-Vietnam era, and more specifically how American trainers utilized stolen Soviet fighters and tactics to give pilots practical combat training experience and other hard lessons learned from the skies over Vietnam.

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety, by Eric Schlosser. An utterly horrifying book about the history of America's nuclear program. A great read if you don't plan on sleeping that night.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Don't tell me I'm the first one to have to say Shattered Sword :v:

I was under the impression that pop histories were not being considered, because Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors was not brought up, either.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh, I thought it was just anything. 1491 is pop history for sure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Post book recommendations, I'll start a spreadsheet.

Title / Era. / Topic. / why you recommend it. / user who recommended it

Swords Around A Throne / Napoleonic / How the Grand Armee worked / the Grand Armee was incredibly important to future development of the military art and was fuckin rad, also this is the authoritative work on it / kyoon griffey jr said this

edit:

Tameichi Hara, Japanese Destroyer Captain. A good look at the other side, very self critical, with good insights in to how the IJN worked

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 9, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Check the original post, it's just book recommendations. We're just lucky enough to have some academic historians in here :v:

Some other good books:

Armored Thunderbolt by Steve Zaloga. A well-written and well-researched history of the development, deployment, and legacy of the M4 Sherman Tank.

Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks, by Dmitriy Loza. A nice memoir to pair with other books about the Sherman tank, as Loza offers a very unique perspective compared to the traditional analysis of the Sherman on the western front. Also worth pairing with his interview on I Remember, where he addresses some questions about the book as well as a number of other recollections.

Also, if we're allowing historical fiction based on the author's personal experiences (Don't think I didn't spot The Things they Carried), then put me down for recommending Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. It's funny, it's sad, and it really captures and highlights the personaltiies of the men who went to war-the good, the bad, and the utterly absurd.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 9, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Davin Valkri posted:

I was under the impression that pop histories were not being considered, because Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors was not brought up, either.

Still, we have more than serious historians in this thread and Shattered Sword, Tin Can Sailors, and Neptune's Inferno all deserve recommendations for anyone interested in WW2 in the Pacific. Shattered Sword in particular, as far as I know, is the only English language work on Midway that seriously engages with and uses Japanese sources and focuses on the Japanese side of the battle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Can someone transfer control/ownership of a Goodreads group?

I mainly ask because I set up one a while back that has a bunch of goons in it, and I am pretty sure it would fare better in someone else's hands.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

How/why would Shattered Sword be considered pop history?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think pretty much every book I posted wpop pop history by that standard

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I mainly ask because I set up one a while back that has a bunch of goons in it, and I am pretty sure it would fare better in someone else's hands.

I'd be willing to take over the Goodreads group. I'm the guy with a picture of Nic Cage as his avatar there.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The only thing I'd say about shattered sword is that it doesn't have a lot of firm methodological commitments.

Anyway let's also throw Looking East From Indian country on there

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 9, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

How/why would Shattered Sword be considered pop history?

It's been read by more than six people

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If we are on book chat may I also recommend "Ho Chi Minh: A Life by William Duiker"? It's the book that really got my interested in Vietnamese history and culture.

Also has anyone here read anything by John Toland, specifically The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire" ? I really enjoyed his book "The Last 100 days" however he wrote these books in the 1960s, so I am not sure if I should be looking at more recent writings for a history of the Japanese Empire post meiji.
It was an interesting read to get some background on how hosed up the system was, all the assassinations and how dis-functional the army and navy was to each other. But as you say the book is old, so it clings onto the "clean emperor" belief that many argue these days so that really dates the book.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Biffmotron posted:

I'd be willing to take over the Goodreads group. I'm the guy with a picture of Nic Cage as his avatar there.

Looks like you gotta verify your email address with goodreads!

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Looks like you gotta verify your email address with goodreads!

One more time into the breach!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The really interesting thing to me about Vietnam politically is how symbolic and not relevant both Ho Chi Minh and Giap were in the war, and also how French prison was, much like the modern middle east, a training camp for insurgent leaders. Your credibility was heavily determined by how much time you did in French prison and they had seminars on Marxism and anti colonial theory as well as practical things in prison.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Apologies in advance if some of the books I suggest sadly have printed images instead of the glossy kind with colour. It is a shame I know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Biffmotron posted:

One more time into the breach!

all set!

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/133084-goons-and-their-military-history

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Swords Around A Throne / Napoleonic / How the Grand Armee worked / the Grand Armee was incredibly important to future development of the military art and was fuckin rad, also this is the authoritative work on it / kyoon griffey jr said this
oh that was a good one

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

FAUXTON posted:

This is an odd coincidence, I'm the mod on the book barn goodreads group. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2686-book-barn-goons We are attempting to revive it at the moment, and bring the challenges more in line with SA's, because people keep adding each other to friends and then forgetting about the group itself.

Naturally whoever has your group now is absolutely welcome to advertise it on our general discussion page and keep everyone updated on your group reads and whatnot.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Disinterested posted:

The really interesting thing to me about Vietnam politically is how symbolic and not relevant both Ho Chi Minh and Giap were in the war, and also how French prison was, much like the modern middle east, a training camp for insurgent leaders. Your credibility was heavily determined by how much time you did in French prison and they had seminars on Marxism and anti colonial theory as well as practical things in prison.

Giap was pretty important wasn't he? From my reading he was fairly important to setting the North's strategy, and a lot of issues the NVA had early in the war were because Giap thought they could outgun the US in the same way they did the French (spoilers: they could not), leading to some of those horrendous casualty ratios.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Disinterested posted:

The only thing I'd say about shattered sword is that it doesn't have a lot of firm methodological commitments.

Anyway let's also throw Looking East From Indian country on there

Personally I think a lot of people way overplay the importance of methodological arguments. There is space for it, of course, and a lot of groundbreaking history has put forward strong methodological arguments precisely because it is breaking new ground in that area and doing something really exciting with it. That said, there are plenty of histories that have excellent analysis without making any grand methodological pronouncements.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Personally I think a lot of people way overplay the importance of methodological arguments. There is space for it, of course, and a lot of groundbreaking history has put forward strong methodological arguments precisely because it is breaking new ground in that area and doing something really exciting with it. That said, there are plenty of histories that have excellent analysis without making any grand methodological pronouncements.
my methodology is "read muster rolls closely" and apparently nobody's done that for the 17th century before so :shrug:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

my methodology is "read muster rolls closely" and apparently nobody's done that for the 17th century before so :shrug:

The humanities, where "Put a bunch of names into a spreadsheet and see if anything interesting pops up" is novel research.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

The humanities, where "Put a bunch of names into a spreadsheet and see if anything interesting pops up" is novel research.
it's not novel, it's archaic, which is the problem. Few people have done milhist with stats like this since Corvisier back in the 60s, which imo is a big problem. If you can read French, check him out--he's great, but his most important work was never translated into English

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 9, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, I just struggle to come up with any other meaningful objection to the book.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

my dad posted:

I'm reading up some more on those Yugoslav Partizan units I mentioned before, and one of the most competent local commanders just gets shot and thrown into a pit by a couple of brigands who had no idea whom they were killing and robbing, they just liked the guy's coat and pants. :(

France, 1915. Professional curmudgeon and amateur corporal Louis Barthas is up the line when a large shell lands fifty metres away in a boyau, a communications trench.

quote:

In the boyau lay a fully loaded haversack which no doubt belonged to the poor soldier, yesterday full of life, today frightfully mutilated, whom we saw a few steps away. Rolled up on top of this haversack was a good pair of corduroy trousers, which I appropriated without scruple. The time for wasting materials had not yet arrived, and my own trousers were torn in many places, so right there I undertook an exchange of pants.

Then we opened the haversack. Perhaps we would discover the name of its owner. Indeed, it contained a pile of postcards and letters, all in the name of Laboucarié. What? Laboucarié was dead! The poor bastard! Everyone in the regiment knew him. He was famous for all kinds of eccentricities, his colorful clothing, the songs he made up and sang in the cabarets, always arousing wild laughter. Fulfilling a duty, we gave the letters and his military papers to our rationer, Terrisse, to give to the sergeant-major of the 23rd Company, to which the dead man belonged.

The sergeant-major was quite surprised, because at this very moment Laboucarié was in the bloom of health, as much as one could be in the trenches. When questioned, the walking corpse had to explain how his haversack had fallen into our hands. He was forced to admit that he had abandoned the trench after a violent bombardment. That was all it took for him to be sent up for a court-martial.

From that day on Laboucarié had it in for me, for two reasons: first of all, for having brought all these troubles upon him, and then for having taken his corduroy trousers.

All right, so this is about not dying to lose one's trousers, but close enough for jazz.

(100 years ago today, he is still up the line, and still extremely annoyed; he was involved in the Nivelle Offensive and approved very much of the feelings behind the subsequent mutinies, but he refuses to take any part in them, much surprising his younger comrades, because he sees that they will in the best case lead to nothing at all, and in the worst case lead to the firing squad.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 9, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I love Louis Barthas from the bottom of my heart. He is the eternal soldier goon.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
What were the French mutinies about? As in if they were succesful what would have changed? I know the soldiers horrible treatment by their officers was part of the cause, and likely part of their demands, but Ive never seen anyone really say what their end goal was.

And for a gay black Kaiser, what were the potential outcomes if the government wasnt able to coverup the mutinies?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

boyau, a communications trench.

What's the etymology of this? I'm just noticing the similarity between it and the also-French (albeit cajun) bayou.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cyrano posted:

methodological arguments
What are thooooose and how are they different from argument-arguments?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's the etymology of this? I'm just noticing the similarity between it and the also-French (albeit cajun) bayou.

They contain a similar amount of water and mud?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JcDent posted:

They're argument-arguments over methods used.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JcDent posted:

Siivola posted:

They're argument-arguments over methods used.

Yep. Basically arguments between historians over how you do history. This ranges from really insightful and interesting to dick waving where you find a way to pretty up "I read the documents and analyzed what the documents said" because your editor/reviewer/adviser will yell at you if you don't have methodology section.

edit: If you want to see a great methodological paper find a copy of Joan Scott's "Gender: A Useful Category of Historical Analysis." It makes a strong argument that an entire category of analysis had been fundamentally neglected and laid out ways that it could be used in a wide variety of research. Note that the paper is from the mid-80s. Most methodological arguments can seem really dated in a "well duh" way if they gained a lot of traction down the road.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 9, 2017

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apparently, boyau comes from the Latin botella (entrails) whereas bayou comes from the Choctaw bàjuk (small river).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

JcDent posted:

quote:

We need to be particularly suspicious of politicians and other public figures
who invoke high moral principles to explain their own behaviour.
Such, at least, is the view of the most hard-headed of our historians. It is
safe to assume, they tell us, that such professed ideals will be ex post facto
rationalisations, and that the actions of such dubious characters will
generally be undertaken for motives of a very different and often inadmissible
kind. Among recent historians, Sir Lewis Namier has perhaps
been the most influential proponent of this vision of politics, although it
is ironic that his arguments in defence of his position often sound very
like those of the Marxist historians whom he always professed to despise.
Like many Marxists, Namier was committed to two connected claims
about the interplay of principle and practice in public life. The first is that
we are indeed justified in dismissing the ideals professed by politicians
as so many attempts to invest their conduct with what Namier liked to
describe as a spurious air of morality and rationality.1 The second is that
it follows from this that such principles play no causal role in bringing
about their actions, and do not therefore need to figure in our explanations
of their behaviour. As Namier summarised, ‘party names and cant’
are mere epiphenomena, providing us with no guide at all to the actual
motives and underlying realities of social and political life.

Namier and his followers were assailed for their cynicism by less hardheaded
historians who wished to insist that, as Herbert Butterfield put it,
many public figures are ‘sincerely attached to the ideals’ for the sake of
which they claim to act. According to historians of this persuasion, it will
usually be indispensable to refer to the professed principles of politicians
if we wish to explain their behaviour. To explain an action is normally to
cite the goal that an agent wishes to bring about – corresponding to their
motive for acting – together with the belief that the performance of the
action will conduce to the attainment of the goal. If someone professes
to be acting for the sake of a moral principle, and if the principle is
genuinely their motive for acting, then it is obvious that the principle
makes a difference to the action and will need to be cited in any attempt
to explain it.

My own argument can thus be read as an attempt to reinterpret
what I take to have been one of Weber’s underlying purposes in his
celebrated series of articles. I do not wish, however, to press the point of
interpretation here. I only wish to emphasise that, even if Trevor-Roper’s
strictures can be shown to point to a weakness in Weber’s argument,
they cannot be shown to point to any weakness in the argument I have
myself tried to advance. My suggestion that Protestantism played a role
in helping to legitimise (and thus to encourage) the rise of capitalism is
based on assuming, not denying, that capitalism predated Protestantism.
What I have tried to show is that it does not follow from this fact – as
Trevor-Roper seems to believe – that Protestantism had no causal role to
play in the development of capitalism. This is to ignore the fact that the
earliest capitalists lacked legitimacy in the moral climate in which they
found themselves. They therefore needed, as a condition of flourishing,
to find some means of legitimising their behaviour. As I have shown, one
of the means they found was to appropriate the evaluative vocabulary of
the Protestant religion – greatly to the horror of the religious, who saw
themselves as the victims of a trick.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I read primary source documents as much as possible and use memoirs and secondary sources to fill in the gaps or confirm if someone else has made made the same deductions I have. The end. No moral.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

That's not going to help you unpick this problem:

Historian one: peasants in the languedoc believed in and persecuted witchcraft because it was a helpful way of dealing with the problem of social upheaval resulting from tue reformation, the only explanation for such an outburst of irrationality.

Historian two: that doesn't address the question at all of whether the peasants genuinely believed it based on the commonplace beliefs and standards for forming belief in their own time. Historian 1, your history sucks.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The idea that historians operate independently of prevailing ideologies is laughable, we're all trapped in the hermeneutic circle like it's the liminal zone of a 50s b-movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Or take a historian like Maurice Cowling, a historian of British political history. He was a right winger with a completely extremist attitude to politics: he essentially thought it was impossible to write a history of a group or a movement because of the inherent generalisation involved. As a result at times his books are just diaries of the rich and powerful. So and so saw such and such on day x, they discussed y.

Meanwhile Marxist history had tended to insist, for example, that capitalism was responsible for the elimination of the slave trade and that west Indian sugar was decreasingly profitable, but that simply is not borne out by the correct reading of the data.

Everyone carries a set of assumptions about how the world works around with them and there's no way to commonsense your way out of it.