Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Bloop posted:

I mean, yeah, but those games are actually, like, new. MK is MK. The jumps have pretty much exclusively been generational power advances and MK8DX seems pretty well topped out for what the Switch is likely capable of. It's not like there was a MK sequel on the same system.

It just doesn't seem like it would be enough of a change to generate enough sales to be worth the effort for a mainline AAA game like MK

1st off, I don't see how the pokemon generations count as new? On DS and 3DS, they each got 1 new generation that advanced mostly through technology, and another generation that advanced mostly through mechanics. On top of other examples I could bring up, you really just seem to be trying to make MK into some special franchise when it's...not.

But I think the main thing I disagree with that you keep saying is that you think MK8 has topped the Switch's power for the console. The console is very new, and I have no doubt that we will be seeing the Switch have more and more better looking games in time as is the trend for most Nintendo consoles. If you can't accept that developers could eventually put out better results from the Switch's design for the next 4-5 years, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'd also disagree that a new MK that didn't advance technology enough wouldn't sell. Again, pokemon gens 5 and 7 would be a go to example for that.

Bill Barber posted:

Absolutely none of those games are anything like Mario Kart. They're all single player games with an arching story. It's kind of dumb to use them as an argument for another Mario Kart.

The more proper comparison would be something like Smash, which has never seen multiple releases in a single generation.

Mario Party? Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (published by Nintendo, made by Sega)? I don't think being Multiplayer focused is a special qualifier at all.

I mean, we could just compare racing games themselves. Fzero had multiple GBA releases, and Excitetruck/Excitebots on the Wii.

I get the point of not rushing multiple generations of a franchise onto the same console generation. I just disagree that a port/remake of an older generation game necessarily prohibits an eventual sequel. Ocarina of Time's 3DS remake didn't stop A Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD didn't stop Breath of the Wild development. Those are different teams yes, but team division and workload is a different argument than this stuff about generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also Mistwalker is busy making mobile money with Terra Battle (which just got a sequel) to care about The Last Story, though I guess now Terra Wars is supposed to be their non-mobile thing.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Project X Zone had a sequel on the 3DS, and is technically kind of already a sequel, maybe.

Played it and liked it! I should have been clearer, I want a third game in that franchise with console quality graphics. And maybe more Nintendo characters than Xenoblade and fire emblem now that that door is open.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

never thought I'd say this but if the rabbids game is as good as it looks, give the Codename STEAM license to Ubisoft since they might have cracked the code to creating a low-stress XCOM

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have a Switch, but it kind of pisses me off that Walmart has a low effort bundle right now with Amiibo characters not even compatible with current Switch games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

xedo posted:

Played it and liked it! I should have been clearer, I want a third game in that franchise with console quality graphics. And maybe more Nintendo characters than Xenoblade and fire emblem now that that door is open.

Yeah, that's never happening. At best you'd better hope the sprites they made were downscaled in some fashion for the tiny 3DS screen because making detailed sprites for dozens of characters or 3D models would be absurdly expensive for what supposedly did worse in the sequel?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PS4 has lots of great games. This year alone had Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 and more if you like Japanese games (you own a switch so probably)

lelandjs posted:

Okay, fair points. Most of them I didn't mention because I'd taken for granted they'll appear (Smash, AC, FE).

And I'd like to count on third parties, but it's a Nintendo console, sooo yeah. Also two of the biggest third party Nintendo exclusive series (Layton and Etrian) are pretty reliant on the touchscreen, with Layton's latest game being launched on iOS & Android before even the 3DS (I'm actually playing it on my iPad, it's... ok, not great) so who knows if they'll even come out for the Switch at all.

That said, I'm fully expecting Capcom to announce a port of the first three AA games to Switch any day now.

It's a Nintendo console and handheld though. The handhelds always have very good support (because the alternative was like the vita)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

Okay, fair points. Most of them I didn't mention because I'd taken for granted they'll appear (Smash, AC, FE).

And I'd like to count on third parties, but it's a Nintendo console, sooo yeah. Also two of the biggest third party Nintendo exclusive series (Layton and Etrian) are pretty reliant on the touchscreen, with Layton's latest game being launched on iOS & Android before even the 3DS (I'm actually playing it on my iPad, it's... ok, not great) so who knows if they'll even come out for the Switch at all.

That said, I'm fully expecting Capcom to announce a port of the first three AA games to Switch any day now.

I would expect that Etrian games are gonna stay on 3DS for however much longer that's alive. That said, none of the mapping features are anything that couldn't be replicated without a touchscreen without much trouble, especially if you've got motion controls in the mix.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What's the recommended power bank these days? The link in the op is a dead.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Cat Machine”" post="“475184696”"]
What??? Every Nintendo game released since March has been really loving good, launch titles are terrible 99.9999999999% of the time
[/quote]

the is false because ARMS was very bad

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My friend and I have been replaying Super Mario World, and we started to argue: would the game be improved if you could wall jump?

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
The Switch looks cool and I want to buy one around Xmas time. I hope Nintendo makes this possible for me!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

My friend and I have been replaying Super Mario World, and we started to argue: would the game be improved if you could wall jump?

Not unless it was reworked pretty heavily I'd say.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Bloop posted:

What even would be the point? I feel like we are simply past this point for the time being. Until and unless some new generation makes a huge leap in power, to 4K or whatever, MK8 seems good enough, just like smash.

Release mote packs of tracks, karts, and characters, even modes, to add value to MK8DX but why reinvent the core mechanics again? I'm not sure I'd care enough to own 2x MK on the same system

You could say the same about all the game series that get yearly installments, but they keep makin' em, and people keep buyin' em. I don't think a Mario Kart 9 somewhere halfway through the Switch lifecycle would be so egregious.

dog nougat posted:

What's the recommended power bank these days? The link in the op is a dead.

I came across this one via an ad, supposedly you can recharge your switch like 5 times with it on a full charge.
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI/

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 9, 2017

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

raditts posted:

I came across this one via an ad, supposedly you can recharge your switch like 5 times with it on a full charge.
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI/

I have this. I tested it recently to see how much playtime I could have. The switch lasted 18 hours on it playing zelda before switching to its internal battery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

You could say the same about all the game series that get yearly installments, but they keep makin' em, and people keep buyin' em. I don't think a Mario Kart 9 somewhere halfway through the Switch lifecycle would be so egregious.

Most (all?) of those are sportsgames for sportsbros who need up to date player rosters and dudecred.

I was going to say that you need the new one because the playerbase shifts but that's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy

I just don't see what the impetus would be to buy a new MK on switch unless it did something VERY different like first-person mode or whatever

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the is false because ARMS was very bad

Wow hey look at this guys. Look.

It's a bad opinion

Med School posted:

The Switch looks cool and I want to buy one around Xmas time. I hope Nintendo makes this possible for me!

After Super Mario Odyssey has been released? Uh....

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That lion centaur lighting archer thing killed me immediately, so I looked up how to kill it and the guide said to use upgraded Stasis. I've been through like ten loving shrines and still don't have the parts to upgrade stasis.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Med School posted:

Friend, you can buy one today!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Guy Goodbody posted:

That lion centaur lighting archer thing killed me immediately, so I looked up how to kill it and the guide said to use upgraded Stasis. I've been through like ten loving shrines and still don't have the parts to upgrade stasis.
You don't need to kill it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

raditts posted:

I would assume that MK9 would sell much better than a MK8D DLC for just the Switch.

But yes, make more DLC packs. I'd much rather have the whole package so you can play one game and have access to all tracks. The core mechanics of the game is fine, and I think people would expect major changes for a 9th installment in the series.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A quick word about using MacBook / MacBook Pro USB-C chargers: YMMV.

I currently switch (heh) between Nintendo's own humongous AC adapter and an Apple 29W USB-C charger with an Anker USB-C to USB-C charging cable to charge my Switch. Works okay.

However, Nathan K, USB-C pundit, warns that using an Apple 87W USB-C adapter will crash the Switch due to handshaking shenanigans and Apple playing fast and loose with the USB-C standard. The Apple 67W USB-C adapter is supposedly programmed different and is okay to use.

Nathan K indicates the issue will most likely happen if you use a USB-C cable that is only rated for 3A instead of 5A.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's using the 87W and 61W Apple chargers.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Get good.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
mario xcom when

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bef posted:

Get good.

no, I'm currently so far away from good I'd be happy with going from laughably bad to reasonably bad

The loving rock shooting balloons lead you now. They didn't do that in old Zelda games!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
ARMS? More like TENTACLES, am I right?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/895389679943532544

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

yawn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SMB is bad

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Once you do get decent weapons getting good at timing dodges for the flurry rush makes the fight way easier, though you're always one or two hits away from being turned into cat food.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Friend, you can buy one today!

I spent all my money on groceries, rent, and drugs, but this is good news!

I am wondering, since Gamefreak is technically a 3rd party company, if they are capable of shaking up the Pokémon formula in the same way BOTW shook Zelda up. The signs from the past say no, but I am still hopeful.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

[quote="“CharlieFoxtrot”" post="“475202096”"]
SMB is bad
[/quote]

Agreed

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Give me a Pokemon game in the BotW engine please.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I got my last ancient core to upgrade stasis on Ruta. You're likely getting ahead of yourself in trying to kill that Lynel with electric arrows though. Just stealthily sneak around the trees when he isn't near them and you can pull shock arrows right out and run away without ever engaging that dude.

I want some older titles to just get released for the Switch. It would be awesome to get some of the older Zelda titles like Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword (My bad if I got any of these names wrong) and then Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario Maker, Paper Mario, Sunshine Mario, that Yoshi Yarn game, etc. The older Kirby and Pokémon titles would also be awesome.

There are tons of indie titles that would rock the house on it that can currently be found on PS4 and even iOS and Steam. FTL would be cool . Hyper Light Drifter would be the poo poo. Katamari Damacy would be really fun. Hotline Miami would also be perfect for the Switch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the Lynel is tougher than the boss, and the Lynel already has the arrows, why don't they just get the Lynel to fight the boss?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

If the Lynel is tougher than the boss, and the Lynel already has the arrows, why don't they just get the Lynel to fight the boss?

Well you see, the lynel is a complete rear end in a top hat

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

I tried to reason with the Lynel and it didn't work.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Oh boy, I can't wait to play this game that is already available since 2010 for every other platform under the sun

What happened to Super Meat Boy: Forever?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Re: power banks

Get the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 or the bigger sized one. They're fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kinda pointless since the superior Slime-san is already out but cool I guess.

• Locked thread