Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am happy Neagle is back on the team, he isn't great but he was not the problem with the 2015 shitstorm in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Owen Goal will never leave the team.

Do we really have any use for Neagle?

Probably not, unless we're about to clear out Shipp for space. This looks like a hometown favor to me, maybe his last stop before retirement.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Probably not, unless we're about to clear out Shipp for space. This looks like a hometown favor to me, maybe his last stop before retirement.

I mean we only have Bruin and Morris for forwards on the roster so he is probably #3 on the depth chart there.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
I approve of bringing on Neagle late in the game to do absolutely nothing, or score a ridiculous goal every now and then.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

whypick1 posted:

Because the only thing that stands out about them is that their color commentator is a woman? :shrug:

Actually, it was because the BPB guy's voice sounded like he had a frog in his throat the whole drat game, and because the sideline guy kept talking about things like Jordan Morris's cultured left foot, but y'know, whatever.

And there was this:

shirts and skins posted:

The pbp guy's voice would quaver every time something exciting happened, it was real weird.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Xylorjax posted:

Actually, it was because the BPB guy's voice sounded like he had a frog in his throat the whole drat game, and because the sideline guy kept talking about things like Jordan Morris's cultured left foot, but y'know, whatever.

And there was this:

I heard that left foot comment and was like... have you ever watched him play?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Boswell and Neagle both traded. Looks like offloading big contracts in preparation for a team sale.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
"the internet" suggests SKC might be in on aron johnansson. it won't happen but if it did happen that'd be pretty awesome.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

bewbies posted:

"the internet" suggests SKC might be in on aron johnansson. it won't happen but if it did happen that'd be pretty awesome.

Oh god I forgot about him.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/894940945132601344

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

What a huge shame for Carlitos, hes had decent enough seasons in Spain and he's only 28, RIPs amigo.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What a huge shame for Carlitos, hes had decent enough seasons in Spain and he's only 28, RIPs amigo.

The rage and tears of El Tri fans over this and JdS are more nourishing than Ambrosia could have ever been to the gods of Olympus.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean I said the same thing about Michael Bradley but whatever works for you dude

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Could be he wants to grab some of those sweet marketing bucks, "decent in Spain" won't get you that much while the likes of Ronaldo are there, but big in LA could.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
in an equally important signing, Big Phil Senderos has signed with the Dynamo

https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/08/07/houston-dynamo-sign-swiss-defender-philippe-senderos

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'd laugh at this but the last time I made fun of an old guy signing, it was Schweinsteiger and it actually worked out

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

I'd laugh at this but the last time I made fun of an old guy signing, it was Schweinsteiger and it actually worked out

He's still only 32, goddamn.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nostradingus posted:

The difference is that Schweinsteiger was Actually Good, just not good enough for United and Bayern. I'm not sure Senderos has been good anywhere.

In other news, DC making Deadline Day Deals, signing a 28-year old Hungarian winger from Kaiserslautern in the 2. Bundesliga.

Is he going to save their season? Probably not but he SURELY can't be nearly as bad as every other attacking player they have.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/895348406511702018

I mean ... I like the guy and think he has a bright future, but that seems like a lot

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Jesse Marsch says there have been a lot of discussions over the last 48 hours but he can't say much else.

Soooooooo we're doing nothing aren't we.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It's official:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/895388445534810112

Now can the Galaxy screw themselves even more by finishing dead last the year before LAFC comes to town?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

Now can the Galaxy screw themselves even more by finishing dead last the year before LAFC comes to town?

I know this was a joke but what the hell I'll consider it.

On one hand, Minnesota, Colorado, and DC still exist and Are Bad. On the other hand, at least one of those teams appears to be way more active in the summer transfer window (which, again, closes in like six hours) than the Galaxy are, so really who knows?

edit: case in point, in the time I spent writing this reply DC have been linked to Paul Arriola (Galaxy academy product, I think, so they'd have needed to grab his rights from LAG) from Tijuana AND Russell Canouse from Hoffenheim. Even Minnesota are trying to move out deadwood and otherwise staff their surprise "ten wingers and a GK" tactic. Meanwhile the Galaxy, somehow, seem dead silent on the market.

I'm pretty sure the Wooden Spoon is the one domestic honour the Galaxy have never won (according to Wiki the 2008 team tied with San Jose for last place but finished ahead on a tiebreaker), so it would at least be novel!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 9, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

I know this was a joke but what the hell I'll consider it.

On one hand, Minnesota, Colorado, and DC still exist and Are Bad. On the other hand, at least one of those teams appears to be way more active in the summer transfer window (which, again, closes in like six hours) than the Galaxy are, so really who knows?

edit: case in point, in the time I spent writing this reply DC have been linked to Paul Arriola (Galaxy academy product, I think, so they'd have needed to grab his rights from LAG) from Tijuana AND Russell Canouse from Hoffenheim. Even Minnesota are trying to move out deadwood and otherwise staff their surprise "ten wingers and a GK" tactic. Meanwhile the Galaxy, somehow, seem dead silent on the market.

I'm pretty sure the Wooden Spoon is the one domestic honour the Galaxy have never won (according to Wiki the 2008 team tied with San Jose for last place but finished ahead on a tiebreaker), so it would at least be novel!

We signed and have already started playing Pele van Anholt and the other dos Santos brother. Just because we aren't making last minute moves doesn't mean we didn't make any moves. We're also, supposedly, still willing to make deals up until the end of the transfer in case anyone wants to send us a Bill Hamid.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I hear we're taking calls about Jermaine Jones. Which ever one of your teams is going in on that is dumb as all hell.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I hear we're taking calls about Jermaine Jones. Which ever one of your teams is going in on that is dumb as all hell.

Almost as stupid as we were to sign him in the first place :(

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tigren posted:

We signed and have already started playing Pele van Anholt and the other dos Santos brother. Just because we aren't making last minute moves doesn't mean we didn't make any moves. We're also, supposedly, still willing to make deals up until the end of the transfer in case anyone wants to send us a Bill Hamid.

True, and I forgot about those two (JDS especially should have an impact, both in himself and possibly in helping GDS be a more consistent force). On the other hand you're still relying on Zardes more than any sane team should.

When does Lletget come back from his injury, are you expecting to see him this year? Honestly as good as Alessandrini has been, I feel like Lletget getting injured on USMNT duty was when your season really derailed.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

:laffo: I hope whoever was calling about him gets named and shamed.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 9, 2017

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

:laffo: I hope whoever was calling about him gets named and shamed.

he never said anyone was interested, they just said they were getting calls about him

:phone: "still paying jermaine jones 600k a year?"
:phoneb: "we sure are"
:phone: "lol good" *toilet flush*

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So we signed a new team and spent money. Huh.

So Paul Arriola comes at a discount because he's a youth DP, Zoltan can actually finish, We Got Our Defensive Midfielder, and we signed one of Travis Worra's high schools flings. Neat.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Anyone from Vancouver want to tell me about Christian Dean? Wasn't he a high draft pick? Why hasn't he done much in MLS?

I mean, we have two really good centerbacks already so he should just be depth, but I'm curious.

threeagainstfour posted:

Almost as stupid as we were to sign him in the first place :(

I was so mad about the "blind draw" and all the weird crap surrounding Jones coming to MLS. I'm kinda glad the Fire dodged that bullet, in retrospect.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Azerban posted:

he never said anyone was interested, they just said they were getting calls about him

:phone: "still paying jermaine jones 600k a year?"
:phoneb: "we sure are"
:phone: "lol good" *toilet flush*

Lmao

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Hello Towel posted:

Anyone from Vancouver want to tell me about Christian Dean? Wasn't he a high draft pick?

He was, in fact! 3rd overall in 2014, GA class and contract, etc, etc.

quote:

Why hasn't he done much in MLS?

1) Injuries. SO MANY INJURIES.
2) Tim Parker, who we drafted 13th a year later, turned out to be much better than he was and won the starting spot, and Dean hasn't really been able to develop enough (or stay healthy long enough, honestly it's been a bit of both) to be reliable enough/good enough to be 3rd or 4th on the first team CB depth chart, so we traded him to you guys for a change of scenery and grabbed Aaron Maund from RSL today instead.

Hopefully he does well for you but, um, yeah.

edit: speaking of changes of scenery, Ethan Finlay off to Minnesota for allocation money (to be fair, it's rather a lot of allocation money, 425k in total of various types over the next two years).

I always had a soft spot for/kept tabs on him and thought he'd become a star (even though it turned out he WASN'T actually eligible for Canada) but he never quite made that last step and, well, I'll let the Crew's headline for the press release say it all:

quote:

TRADE | Crew SC acquires TAM & GAM in trade with Minnesota United FC

Hopefully playing for his home team will inspire him a bit!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 10, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which dos Santos is the good one

and Rafa Marquez got busted for being a drug runner lol

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Words about Christian Dean

Thanks for the info. Like I said, he's almost definitely a depth signing.

It feels nice to be able to take a chance on someone like that as a second- or third-string player rather than desperately signing other teams' castoffs and hoping they'll magically pan out as starters. What a difference a year makes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Both, but also neither.

Gio featured heavily for Barcelona during a season where they didn't win anything and his career has nosedived since. Jonathan was always supposed to be the better of the two but turned out to be a below average midfielder in La Liga.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When Gio first got to the Galaxy he had a really good run with a lot of goals and assists.

From then on he's been basically invisible in every game.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids are trying to make a trade:

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/895445072572858369

And failing at it:

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/status/895479269782061056

My reaction is basically "meh." Both fanbases are saying "take my player, please!" and Powers is out of contract at the end of the year anyway. If they'd done this a month ago to free up money for the transfer window, fine, but this is August 9, not July 9. I don't get it.

Edit - Can anyone check if Gil has a higher rating in Football Manager than Powers?

(rebuilt post. sorta)

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 10, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Edit - Can anyone check if Gil has a higher rating in Football Manager than Powers?

For what it's worth, he does: Powers has 115CA/121PA, Gil has 106CA/134PA.

I still can't imagine why Colorado thought they could trade for a player on loan though.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Dallan Invictus posted:

For what it's worth, he does: Powers has 115CA/121PA, Gil has 106CA/134PA.

I still can't imagine why Colorado thought they could trade for a player on loan though.

Thanks. I asked because the team has legitimately said they use Football Manager as a scouting tool. Given how terrible 3 of 4 seasons have been it's not a good idea.

And they thought they could trade for a player on loan because they're idiots.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Thanks. I asked because the team has legitimately said they use Football Manager as a scouting tool. Given how terrible 3 of 4 seasons have been it's not a good idea.

Wait.

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheBoyBlunder posted:

no loving way

• Locked thread