Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hmm, I wonder how the Battlefront forums are today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is my gut feeling that the AI in CM is really bad correct? It's kinda hard to tell, since you usually lack overview of all the enemy activity.

Right now I'm playing the "Myth of Invincibility" mission on the German side. The AI is content to march his infantry across open fields while they're cut down by machine guns, and it's tanks and SPGs are just kinda sitting back taking potshots. A SU-76 company parked in some woods, in a orderly, evenly spaced line, and then sat there for like five minutes while a PAK 40 leisurely picked them off one by one, without reacting in any way...

This is disappointing especially because the manual talks a big game about how good the AI is, and these games are generally regarded as Really Good. Is this purely because of multiplayer?

e: I'm playing on Veteran. Is the AI handicapped at lower levels? I was under the impression that the difficulty only affected game mechanics such as spotting.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 7, 2017

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Geisladisk posted:

Is my gut feeling that the AI in CM is really bad correct? It's kinda hard to tell, since you usually lack overview of all the enemy activity.

Right now I'm playing the "Myth of Invincibility" mission on the German side. The AI is content to march his infantry across open fields while they're cut down by machine guns, and it's tanks and SPGs are just kinda sitting back taking potshots. A SU-76 company parked in some woods, in a orderly, evenly spaced line, and then sat there for like five minutes while a PAK 40 leisurely picked them off one by one, without reacting in any way...

This is disappointing especially because the manual talks a big game about how good the AI is, and these games are generally regarded as Really Good. Is this purely because of multiplayer?

e: I'm playing on Veteran. Is the AI handicapped at lower levels? I was under the impression that the difficulty only affected game mechanics such as spotting.

I'm actually doing my dissertation on this very topic right now, but basically the AI is really good at times, but very dependent on the designer setting it up properly. Some AI plans are just better done than others, so some missions make them seem better, some make them seem worse. It sounds like it was particularly bad in your mission, most of the ones I've played it hasn't done anything especially stupid. It's probably something to do with the LOS/spotting of those tanks against your Pak, the AI has never been able to do area fire without being explicitly ordered to I believe. Compared to a lot of other AI systems it's pretty strong, especially considering how complex CM is.

As per the difficulty levels, you're right that it only effects things like how easy it is to spot things and how quickly artillery comes in, not the AI itself.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've found the Quick Battle AI to be kind of shoddy. Sometimes it'll surprise you, but then, like you said, is it I just don't know what's going on and happened to stumble into the worst spot? I mostly avoid any engagement over Medium as the micromanagement gets to be a pain. I wish I could set a company to AI control.

The scenarios sometimes feel like a puzzle and not always a simulation. A certain machine gun nest will have a very narrow engagement window, whelp, watch for that next time. So as you follow the mission from objective to objective you keep learning lessons. I just picked up CMFI and it feels better in that regard, especially the very first scenario.

I want Combat Mission : Winter War, Finland 1940. :finland:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yooper posted:

The scenarios sometimes feel like a puzzle and not always a simulation. A certain machine gun nest will have a very narrow engagement window, whelp, watch for that next time. So as you follow the mission from objective to objective you keep learning lessons. I just picked up CMFI and it feels better in that regard, especially the very first scenario.

Ditto on the puzzle part.

CMFI looks really good, but I'm pretty vary of spending another 60$ on what is essentially a map pack. I'm still not sure if CMRT is worth my time - The basic mechanics of the game feel fantastic, and I can imagine that this game is amazing if you have the time and inclination to play multiplayer. But after 10 or so hours of gameplay I've yet to see the AI do anything except hold pre-set static defenses, and mindlessly zerg towards an objective with zero tactics involved.

The AI in my current game finally did something of note - It launched a massive artillery barrage... against some grass in front of the town I'm dug into. Casualties: One very unlucky MG assistant. :downs:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

The AI in my current game finally did something of note - It launched a massive artillery barrage... against some grass in front of the town I'm dug into. Casualties: One very unlucky MG assistant. :downs:

Sounds pretty realistic to me. That's even pretty accurate for WW2 artillery. Sometimes even your own barrages land hundreds of meters off target.

Are you complaining that the game is too easy? New players to CM usually have the exact opposite reaction, about how difficult it is and how easily their troops get blown to bits by the AI. Of course the game would be better multiplayer, but some of the single-player scenarios and campaigns are incredibly difficult even for veteran players.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Any of you nerds want to guest on a podcast? It's low commitment and low effort. All you have to do is be able to form coherent sentences, have a microphone that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, and have played some of these games. It's a strategy game podcast but it's going to lean towards the grog game side of things. I'd like a rotating list of guests, so you have zero long term commitment. Show length is aiming to be around an hour.

I've got upcoming show titles like :

Europa Yo Momma
War in the Wherever
Crapgames : Or How I learned to love the Indie Wargame
Your Top 5 Wargames

Hit me up here, on Discord, or toss a brick through my window.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Yooper posted:

Any of you nerds want to guest on a podcast? It's low commitment and low effort. All you have to do is be able to form coherent sentences, have a microphone that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, and have played some of these games. It's a strategy game podcast but it's going to lean towards the grog game side of things. I'd like a rotating list of guests, so you have zero long term commitment. Show length is aiming to be around an hour.

Europa Yo Momma
War in the Wherever
Your Top 5 Wargames

Well I'm certainly happy to talk about wargames anytime, I've practically bought and sold every one that exists

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I will fight to the death defending graviteam on a pod

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yooper posted:

Europa Yo Momma
War in the Wherever
Your Top 5 Wargames

oh boy i've got many words to say about WitP and WitE and EU.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh whoops I thought this was the cardboard wargames thread

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Well I'm certainly happy to talk about wargames anytime, I've practically bought and sold every one that exists

There is a cardboard/paper/wooden block/clipped counter part to the show. Might not be every show, but it's still an interest.

Phi230 posted:

I kind of thought that went without mention. You'll be my Graviteam episode guy for sure.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

oh boy i've got many words to say about WitP and WitE and EU.

Done! You're on the list.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'd shoot the poo poo about Command Ops or any of the SAI games including RTW.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

As a Graviteam lover myself I would listen to this. If only for the 45 minute rant on why the UI is actually very good AND intuitive because...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War in the East is Actually Bad, a thread [1/132]

... except, you know, in audio form

It's also loving criminal that the Three Moves Ahead fellows have never actually talked about War in the Pacific, and that's something that needs to be rectified.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I can talk about Rule the Waves and boats. That's about it, but oh boy can I talk about some boats.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Popete posted:

As a Graviteam lover myself I would listen to this. If only for the 45 minute rant on why the UI is actually very good AND intuitive because...

Definitely would tune in.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I could potentially talk about some of the lighter games (Unity of Command, Order of Battle, Panzer Corps). I also know a lot about strategic-level board wargames - I'm sure Cool Corn has the tactical side of those on lockdown.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

I could potentially talk about some of the lighter games (Unity of Command, Order of Battle, Panzer Corps). I also know a lot about strategic-level board wargames - I'm sure Cool Corn has the tactical side of those on lockdown.

Yeah, i'd be down for being on that podcast.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can talk shop grog, whatever.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Yooper posted:

There is a cardboard/paper/wooden block/clipped counter part to the show. Might not be every show, but it's still an interest.
Done! You're on the list.

I will talk about cardboard wargames for hours, just give me a platform.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Awesome. Once I get this poo poo rolling I'll get in touch with a couple of folks for the first episodes.

Thanks Goons!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I will talk about cardboard wargames for hours, just give me a platform.

Will VASSAL suffice?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Will VASSAL suffice?

Name the time and place buddy

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice
Anyone up to play as Japan in a PBEM of WitP:AE using the Focus Pacific mod?

blueshifting fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 9, 2017

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I am the worst Combat Mission commander. I was assaulting a hill as the Soviets and the first squad I sent up the hill got cut to ribbons by a minefield laid out in front of the German positions. I kinda accidentally forgot about the minefield and sent in the next squad... four times. That minefield probably claimed the largest single number of casualties I've seen in CM. :3:

In other news, having gotten "used to" (for lack of better terms) GT's macromanagement, I think I actually prefer it to CM's micromanagement scheme. Jumping back into CM makes me feel like I'm babysitting every last man on the battlefield.

Edit: Plus the audio and visual effects are just so much better in GT.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I am the worst Combat Mission commander. I was assaulting a hill as the Soviets and the first squad I sent up the hill got cut to ribbons by a minefield laid out in front of the German positions. I kinda accidentally forgot about the minefield and sent in the next squad... four times.

This sounds extremely Soviet to me

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i get in trouble with pbem peeps for playing CM with a meat shield of conscripts / cheap cheap inf to get shot at for spotting, running into ambushes, running over minefields

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Baloogan posted:

i get in trouble with pbem peeps for playing CM with a meat shield of conscripts / cheap cheap inf to get shot at for spotting, running into ambushes, running over minefields

I do the same with the staff car / jeep that every command unit seems to come with. It's like a clown car to show me where everyone shoots from. Sometimes it even makes it more then a hundred yards. But not often.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can't play CM without sound and tracer mods.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

blackmongoose posted:

I can also provide some commentary on Panzer Corps and also some Paradox games if you need/want it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i'd be down for being on that podcast.

Having the war game goons on a podcast together sounds so fantastic.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Having the war game goons on a podcast together sounds so fantastic.

After having wargame saturday with Lord Frisk, I'm definitely pumped to play more cardboard wargames. Gonna be pretty cool to talk wargames with goons in general.

Also, in regard to clown car scout car...

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
I volunteer coherent sentences for the podcast. I've played a lot of small indie wargames and old DOS stuff if it helps for a topic. Also am willing to die for Graviteam

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if you want i can skype in and shout about geiger counters and scotch for like 20 seconds

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Baloogan posted:

if you want i can skype in and shout about geiger counters and scotch for like 20 seconds

I pretty much already had you down for that. You'll be the intermission rant.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
drinkin tullibardine and buying geigers on am azon

I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd bought CMBB and CMBN before
But the man there said the wargames wouldn't play
(on windows 10)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bye, bye tokyo banzai
Drove my panzers to moscow but i was out of supply
And them grognards were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I buy
This'll be the day that I buy

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It really would make one hell of an inside joke. Some rando is going to hit the intermission and be expecting an ad for Audible or Blue Apron. Instead they'll get poetry from Baloogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

It really would make one hell of an inside joke. Some rando is going to hit the intermission and be expecting an ad for Audible or Blue Apron. Instead they'll get poetry from Baloogan.

"poetry" with Baloogan.