Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

MisterBibs posted:

- They backed themselves in a narrative corner with Gordon being a mute cypher
Sounds like someone needs to watch Freeman's Mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SubponticatePoster posted:

There's something...disturbing about the turbine rotating like that. It looks like the plane is about to take a huge poo poo. No F-35 pun intended.

All the other moving parts look mechanical, whereas there's something almost organic about the turbine movement.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

minato posted:

He's doing Freeman's Mind for Half-Life 2. Can't wait to watch the whole thing at once 15 years from now.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Keep arms and legs inside the vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNKHcJocvSQ

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

M. Hulot's Holiday remake looking... not all that good, actually.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/qGB9gOv.mp4

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

minato posted:

You kidding? I mainlined that poo poo back in the day. I even did a little bit of a cheer when FM2 didn't wind up being an April Fools joke.

But there's no way in Hell Valve would so anything like that. Hell, I think when HL2 rolled around they doubled down on the whole "You're Gordon, he'll never speak, and we'll never have action outside of his eyes" thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/AbfR88w.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SwfrUOx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/inLOjvQ.mp4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

minato posted:

First episode okay, but I'll a few of the gameplay episodes a try

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't get what's going on here.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

his team came back from losing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Looks like he's distraught over something (either his team losing or maybe he just got a text saying his wife died or something) and his friend directs his attention to show they're on camera (I think) so he tries to be enthusiastic and strong for the camera

edit: or what that guy above me said. I don't actually know the context I'm just guessing from what the clip shows

Reminds me a little of this kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHFgCW1lCmM

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Looks like he's distraught over something (either his team losing or maybe he just got a text saying his wife died or something) and his friend directs his attention to show they're on camera (I think) so he tries to be enthusiastic and strong for the camera

Yep, Wales was going the get a surprise draw against England but then England scored with 5 minutes left. Those are Welsh fans.

e. Wait, England actually scored 7 minutes after that gif so it wasn't a reaction to the goal (presuming it's from Euro 2016).

e2. Okay, enough snooping for me, here's a bit from Guardian's live report

quote:

86 min: The camera picks out a Welsh fan who’s having something of an emotional moment. He must have popped up on the big screen, too, because suddenly a huge roar goes up from the Welsh fans. The tears of this young man soon turn to elation as everyone around him bundles in to show their support. Now that’s togetherness.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Aug 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Perestroika posted:

To be fair, HL2 is literally 13 years old at this point. When it came out, a lot of it was pretty goddamn groundbreaking as far as FPSs went. Actually discernible facial animations, a detailed physics simulation embedded into gameplay, a story that's told indirectly in a very immersive fashion, a number of unique enemies and weapons, and all of that based on an engine that turned out to be one of the most versatile and lasting engines in the industry. Setting up turrets in Nova Prospect was cool at the time because few (or perhaps no) other games at the time allowed you to just pick up a thing, plop it down anywhere, and watch as it's rocked back and forth and eventually knocked over by enemy gunfire.

Of course, the rest of the genre quickly caught up to that level and eventually eclipsed it, and now much of that is fairly standard fare. But at the time it came out, it just blew our minds. So apparently quite a few people are hoping that a theoretical Half Life 3 would be another massive leap forward like that, no matter whether that's actually possible or feasible.

The real problem is valve have learned they make way more money off Steam as a platform and multiplayer games like CSGO and DOTA which they can charge for loot packages and make constant income on a few models rather than big boxed $60 one-time-sale single player games like Half-Life.

They tried to do their "hats" business model on Portal2 and it didn't work because nobody cares to buy micro-transaction cosmetics when you're only playing single player or co-op.

As a result, we'll probably never see another single player game from Valve again, half-life or otherwise. If they do it would basically be a bad business decision that they only committed to as a passion project to finally finish the series, but even then if they were going to they would have by now. Way more profitable to just... not.

Also HL1 took 6 years, HL2 took 9 years, and the reason they did the 'episodes' was because presumably HL3 would take like 12 years of development to actually remotely deliver on expectations. Again, its way more profitable to crank out new CS and DOTA guns and skins instead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaphod42 posted:

The real problem is valve have learned they make way more money off Steam as a platform and multiplayer games like CSGO and DOTA which they can charge for loot packages and make constant income on a few models rather than big boxed $60 one-time-sale single player games like Half-Life.

They tried to do their "hats" business model on Portal2 and it didn't work because nobody cares to buy micro-transaction cosmetics when you're only playing single player or co-op.

As a result, we'll probably never see another single player game from Valve again, half-life or otherwise. If they do it would basically be a bad business decision that they only committed to as a passion project to finally finish the series, but even then if they were going to they would have by now. Way more profitable to just... not.

Also HL1 took 6 years, HL2 took 9 years, and the reason they did the 'episodes' was because presumably HL3 would take like 12 years of development to actually remotely deliver on expectations. Again, its way more profitable to crank out new CS and DOTA guns and skins instead.

"We used to make games, now we make money"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gc-_WhxfyQ

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

HL2 took 9 years

Are you counting the episodes in that? Half-Life 2 was released in 2004 when the first was released in 1998.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you counting the episodes in that? Half-Life 2 was released in 2004 when the first was released in 1998.

I must have mixed the numbers around in my head since its been years. I remember there being a thing where GabeN said the first half life was supposed to take like 3 years but it went way over schedule, and then half life 2 was supposed to take like 6 years but it took like 9.

But now looking at the dates I must have the numbers all wrong. Maybe it was Half Life 3 that was going to take 9 years.

Either way its way too long for them to care :shrug:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No, you misheard for a third time. Half-Life 3 is going to take 90 years.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Half-Life Free to Play

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Besesoth posted:

The homeowners' association of Presidio Terrace, a private street in San Francisco, failed to pay their tax bill for about thirty years, so in 2015 the city decided to auction off the street to pay the bill.

Tina Lam and Michael Cheng bought it for $90,100. They now own the street and sidewalks of Presidio Terrace - and the homeowners are furious, especially since...

But wait, there's more. It's the 2nd time the common areas have been repossessed.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
A friend and I were having a discussion recently about how many of the videogame companies we used to trust to make good games have lost that reputation, what with things like Blizzard devoting its life to Hearthstone and Overwatch, Valve dedicated to Steam and microtransactions, Maxis now owned by EA, etc. And we came to the conclusion that these days, the most trustworthy developer is loving Bethesda. The Glitch Kings of the loving industry are somehow now better known for making good games than the companies that brought us Starcraft and Half-Life. :suicide:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

I wouldn't really give too much of a poo poo if Half-Life Episode 3 or whatnot is basically the same iterative improvement as Episode 2 was. I just want some kind of conclusion to the storyline.

I'd be happy with a double-spaced A4 page of text. I have plenty of good video games to play, but what I don't have is closure.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Half-Life Free to Play
If it ever happens, it's going to be this or some yet-unveiled business model that will allow them to continue printing money.

Anything less will be considered worth the effort on their part.

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Aug 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

A friend and I were having a discussion recently about how many of the videogame companies we used to trust to make good games have lost that reputation, what with things like Blizzard devoting its life to Hearthstone and Overwatch, Valve dedicated to Steam and microtransactions, Maxis now owned by EA, etc. And we came to the conclusion that these days, the most trustworthy developer is loving Bethesda. The Glitch Kings of the loving industry are somehow now better known for making good games than the companies that brought us Starcraft and Half-Life. :suicide:

What? Bethesda is still poo poo.

Blizzard was great when it was a studio; now its Activision West and its basically got none of the same staff as it used to. They went from 50 devs before WoW to 500 devs after wow's launch. That's too much growth too fast.

What's also sad is another dev I would consider to be an all time great is Square, and the last couple Final Fantasy games have been real disappointments.

But there's plenty of cool devs out there. The big thing is that companies are kinda arbitrary. After working at one place for a few years people burn out and switch to something else, or spawn their own companies. The guys who made Diablo 2 went on to make Torchlight. They're still cool, they just aren't called "Blizzard" anymore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaphod42 posted:

What? Bethesda is still poo poo.

Blizzard was great when it was a studio; now its Activision West and its basically got none of the same staff as it used to. They went from 50 devs before WoW to 500 devs after wow's launch. That's too much growth too fast.

What's also sad is another dev I would consider to be an all time great is Square, and the last couple Final Fantasy games have been real disappointments.

But there's plenty of cool devs out there. The big thing is that companies are kinda arbitrary. After working at one place for a few years people burn out and switch to something else, or spawn their own companies. The guys who made Diablo 2 went on to make Torchlight. They're still cool, they just aren't called "Blizzard" anymore.

I'd also mark Bioware as a former great, but they've also fallen on hard times lately, most prominently with Mass Effect Andromeda. They're still almost the only game in town for sprawling Western RPGs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'd also mark Bioware as a former great, but they've also fallen on hard times lately, most prominently with Mass Effect Andromeda. They're still almost the only game in town for sprawling Western RPGs.

Its basically the exact same story as Blizzard. They got too big, sold out to a publisher, and the people in charge that were good all left.

Bioware was a studio that cared about good story, then the two doctors in charge (Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk) decided they were tired of working on games, sold out to EA and quit to go make beer instead IIRC.

And what do you think EA did once handed the keys to the kingdom?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Frankly, I've found that in the past few years, Ubisoft Montreal is the most reliable developer at putting out good games I enjoy, with Squeenix second. Bioware, Bethesda, et al are all really crap now.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Obsidian (formerly Black Isle/Troika) are still around, still independent and still making great RPGs.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

Yep, Wales was going the get a surprise draw against England but then England scored with 5 minutes left. Those are Welsh fans.

e. Wait, England actually scored 7 minutes after that gif so it wasn't a reaction to the goal (presuming it's from Euro 2016).

e2. Okay, enough snooping for me, here's a bit from Guardian's live report

Fake, we Americans can't win soccer games.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Did you know that Canada, the UK, and Australia have private search warrants? Because they do. And the consequences are entirely predictable (and horrible).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

Overwatch and Hearthstone are really popular and well liked though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

Fake, we Americans can't win soccer games.

I'm pretty sure that's hockey there.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/enyOeWP.mp4

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

if you've always hated Jonathon Blow for whatever reason you'll be happy to know he's dug himself into quite the hole on twitter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/vZkgcw9.gifv

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elizabethan Error posted:

his team came back from losing

That's what it looks like, but we're in this thread so i figured a happy ending meant I wasn't understanding.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not entirely fair—they'd still see a huge net profit from sales, just without the same potential for income over time as subscription-based games or games with microtransactions. I'd like to think that Gabe just shifted focus when it became clear VR has the potential to be commercially viable and is holding out on producing some blockbuster sequels to the likes of Half-Life and Portal until they can serve to hype up a big advancement in VR tech. Hopefully Valve is hard at work at the next generation of the Vive behind the scenes, but they're notoriously close-lipped and we won't know until they announce.

They could also just be playing with their dicks in bathtubs full of cash. The lack of meaningful enhancements to Steam over the last few years is a bit worrisome.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Working on Steam is low-status at Valve, who think of themselves as a game studio with this odd growth that happens to gush cash. If you do low-status stuff you get lovely pay and lovely bonuses and generally poo poo on. Working on games is high status, and VR became high status recently, but notably it doesn't seem to matter if you ship, as long as you're doing "cool stuff" day to day in those spaces.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Be free, little four-wheeler!