Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

yeah cloud is just a normal guy who can do limit break and a cool battle victory pose
he teaches some random Shinra mooks how to do a cool battle victory pose though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

Cloud did treat the avalanche guys like poo poo in the beginning of ff7, because he was supposed to be a cool mercenary dude, so that part is at least like the original. I wouldn't worry about it anyway though, the remake is never coming out.

yeah well what I meant was, it SEEMED OT ME like, someone was trying to emulate the "insecure guy trying to be a cliche badass" part of his personality

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Are they still doing the remake in episodes? It would be cool if they fleshed out Midgar with more sidequests /optional content if it's going to be a standalone thing (assuming they end the first part after the Shinra building escape. If they're doing three parts it might make more sense to cut it a little later -- like Cosmo Canyon, maybe?)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nobody knows because they basically started over and haven't given any details since. I mean they could still be holding true to the stuff they mentioned before but they also got rid of Hitman which was supposed to be some episodic experiment so have fun guessing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to chime in to defend Vanille and say it wasn't all her fault. It was Fang saying (in front of the fal'Cie) "we gotta kill these fal'Cie!" Since not all fal'Cie have phenomenal cosmic power like Bart, this one decided to use the one power it did have and made a l'Cie to defend itself. That protector was Dahj and everything kinda spiraled after that.

As for normal humans in FF games, did Cloud even have Limit Breaks before being Hojo's test subject for years?

And Seifer and his posse aren't normal. They're pretty super fighters. Remember when Zell hit the train floor so hard it rocked the entire train? I take that as a baseline for what the top students at Garden can do.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Heck, I wish FFXV had been an episodic game or something where each episode is really condensed but full of content and tiny details. After playing through the game once and occasionally picking it up every now and then I realized how much travel time it takes to actually fight stuff and do something.

I'm fine with open world style playgrounds but they'd need to be a lot smaller or the actual traveling needs to be fun. In games like FFXII I don't mind going from point A to B because you get to fight stuff and collect loot at the same time.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

everyone has a limit break. in the tutorial of ff7 near the bar, you are shown what a limit break is by a 10 year old kid

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

everyone has a limit break. in the tutorial of ff7 near the bar, you are shown what a limit break is by a 10 year old kid

that kid, was lagunas father

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

That's my favorite novice hall. :3: Just two kids having a slapfight.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

Palom and Porom are 5 and Eiko is 6, so that 10-year old has probably seen some poo poo already, he needs that limit break.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can a five year old know how to cast spells? I mean drat that's hard to fathom.

Also, Gohan was like 4 years old when he fought Nappa so idk what it is about the Japanese and small children whipping rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Can a five year old know how to cast spells? I mean drat that's hard to fathom.

Also, Gohan was like 4 years old when he fought Nappa so idk what it is about the Japanese and small children whipping rear end.

Materia is supposed to literally be crystalized knowledge so theoretically you can toss a materia at anyone and if they got something to slot it into they can use it.

Palom and Porom are supposedly geniuses or something so I guess that makes it easier.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ImpAtom posted:

Materia is supposed to literally be crystalized knowledge so theoretically you can toss a materia at anyone and if they got something to slot it into they can use it.

Palom and Porom are supposedly geniuses or something so I guess that makes it easier.

Yeah, the twins are noted as being exceptionally gifted. It's part of why they're so baffling in TAY, where 16-or-so years on they're actually less capable than they were as children. But I suppose everything about TAY is baffling, really.

I think they're the youngest playable characters in the series? After that you've got Rydia at 7, Vivi at 9, Relm and Eiko at 10, Gau at 13, Hope and Krile at 14, and Rikku at 15. A ton of other characters hover in the 16-19 range, which I guess makes sense given the target audience, but I was genuinely shocked to find so many genuine adults. IV and VI are both pretty good about having ensemble casts with a wide age range; I feel like the early games in general handled age better, with much of the post-VII landscape being teenagers.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
To be fair. Vivi was manufactured to be a killing machine.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Sefal posted:

To be fair. Vivi was manufactured to be a killing machine.

I used his physical age rather than his literal age; he's actually only something like 6 months old when you meet him, but he was designed to be a 9-year-old. Why someone would model a war machine after a child escapes me, though later model black mages are clearly supposed to look like adults.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

after all these years, running around and yelling is still my favourite way to deal with Riovanes Castle.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah, the twins are noted as being exceptionally gifted. It's part of why they're so baffling in TAY, where 16-or-so years on they're actually less capable than they were as children. But I suppose everything about TAY is baffling, really.

I think they're the youngest playable characters in the series? After that you've got Rydia at 7, Vivi at 9, Relm and Eiko at 10, Gau at 13, Hope and Krile at 14, and Rikku at 15. A ton of other characters hover in the 16-19 range, which I guess makes sense given the target audience, but I was genuinely shocked to find so many genuine adults. IV and VI are both pretty good about having ensemble casts with a wide age range; I feel like the early games in general handled age better, with much of the post-VII landscape being teenagers.

Eiko was 6, actually.

I've occasionally wondered why the "Ridiculously Young Character" has faded out of the FF series. Maybeit had to do with graphics. Seeing little cartoony sprites get KO'ed or hit with spells is one thing, seeing a realistic 5-year-old get shot or stabbed is quite another thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's fine if you change it to getting stabbed with magic

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's fine if you change it to getting stabbed with magic

lol at the people that got mad at Berseria

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
final fantasy is cool and all but tbh i think i would rather throw the entire franchise into the dumpster if it meant we could get one more suikoden game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

that's not a winning monkey's paw wish, and two fingers are already curled

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I would watch Sephiroth impale the Final Fantasy series with his sword and let it fall into a watery abyss if it meant a direct sequel to Legend of Mana.

They can even just straight-out pull an After Years with the plot if it still has the same level of graphics and music. Legend of Mana is already pretty stupid, it'd work perfectly for that game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd like to not have to sacrifice things to get other cool things

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Norns posted:

I'd like to not have to sacrifice things to get other cool things

Good point.

In that case, I'm willing to add Chrono Cross 2, FF13-4, and FF4: After The After Years to my wishlist.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Eiko was 6, actually.

I've occasionally wondered why the "Ridiculously Young Character" has faded out of the FF series. Maybeit had to do with graphics. Seeing little cartoony sprites get KO'ed or hit with spells is one thing, seeing a realistic 5-year-old get shot or stabbed is quite another thing.

Hironobu Sakaguchi's departure may have had something to do with it. He put some kids in Lost Odyssey, and they're the worst part of that game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CeallaSo posted:

I used his physical age rather than his literal age; he's actually only something like 6 months old when you meet him, but he was designed to be a 9-year-old. Why someone would model a war machine after a child escapes me, though later model black mages are clearly supposed to look like adults.

Maybe to make it easier for them to infiltrate places? Nobody in Alexandria even bats an eye at Vivi's appearance since that place is filled with weirdo races like hippo people and fish people.

And then they decided, 'doesn't matter, we're just going to send them in to blow everything up'.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Chrono Cross 2

uh it's called chrono brake break, pleb

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

uh it's called chrono brake break, pleb

Chrono Trigger 3: Chrono Cross 2: Chrono Outcast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100% of your monkey paw wishes end up with me somehow playing an 8th Saga doesn't it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I would destroy all technology and bring about a new Paleolithic era for mankind in exchange for Wild ARMs 4-2

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

All your wishes will come true... via free to play phone games.

Mega64 posted:

I would watch Sephiroth impale the Final Fantasy series with his sword and let it fall into a watery abyss if it meant a direct sequel to Legend of Mana.

They can even just straight-out pull an After Years with the plot if it still has the same level of graphics and music. Legend of Mana is already pretty stupid, it'd work perfectly for that game.

Though I guess you may have to settle for "similar but legally distinct premium phone game"

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 10, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

100% of your monkey paw wishes end up with me somehow playing an 8th Saga doesn't it?

well they wont let me play the new SaGa so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Egg in an RPG instantly makes me think of E.G.G., Elemental Gimmick Gear which was a terrible Zelda clone rather than the RPG it was billed as.

It also features its first, and only, major plot exposition starting with "You see, we're both from the moon"

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

corn in the bible posted:

well they wont let me play the new SaGa so

Just seeing this post sent me to YouTube to listen to Koorong. Sigh. I'd really like to play the new one, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress it, give me Unlimited SaGa 2. Just gently caress me up with mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

It also features its first, and only, major plot exposition starting with "You see, we're both from the moon"

Final Fantasy 4 would be proud.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

uh it's called Final Fantasy 13-2, pleb

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just like Legend of Mana and Egglia, E.G.G. is also super fuckin' pretty.

Also I'm pretty sure it had a toyline (or was based on a toyline) but I can never find that drat commercial I swear I saw years ago so this may as well be me lying about that. Like they were just glorified beyblades but looking like those robots.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Just like Legend of Mana and Egglia, E.G.G. is also super fuckin' pretty.

Also I'm pretty sure it had a toyline (or was based on a toyline) but I can never find that drat commercial I swear I saw years ago so this may as well be me lying about that. Like they were just glorified beyblades but looking like those robots.

It would have made sense, but no, I don't think it was. It was just a really weird, poorly made game, with some really pretty painterly backgrounds and some of the ugliest, no texture 3d graphics money could skimp out on. What an absolutely bizarre design decision to have the boss fights work on almost entirely different set of controls and mechanics than the rest of the game.

Plus I vaguely recall it's another one of those games like Lunar Dragon Song where running kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

All your wishes will come true... via free to play phone games.

Though I guess you may have to settle for "similar but legally distinct premium phone game"

Hey, if you're going to rip off something's style, might as well pick something good.

Plus Legend of Mana already had a phone game.

e: Oh hey I even found screenshots.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 10, 2017