  • Post
echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Echopapa, when someone on Rota or Tinian is arrested for something, what happens? Do they have courthouses there? Do they fly them to Saipan? How does that poo poo work? Do they fly the witnesses? Do they fly the lawyers and judge there?

edit: I'm looking at this court calendar, how are there so many loving civil cases? Is every company on the island suing everyone? http://www.justice.gov.mp/uploads/Sup._Crt._Cal_08.07.2017.pdf

There’s a courthouse on both Tinian and Rota, and each has a judge visit twice per month. The courthouse in Rota has a chamber for the Supreme Court, but they’ve never met there. Both Tinian and Rota have two full-time court clerks and one full-time marshal who sit around like the Maytag repairman. Everyone, including witnesses and lawyers, flies there for the hearings and the trials because the legislators for the islands would throw fits if people didn’t show up in person.

Yes, businesses sure do enjoy suing each other. Also, many of those Order in Aid of Judgment cases will end up with people going to jail: failing to pay a judgment against you constitutes criminal contempt in the CNMI, even if you haven’t got the money to pay it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Stay safe, Guam Goons

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 13, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Stay safe, Guam Goons

Uh if they die, free jobs.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Nuclear Wasteland Lawyer does have a nice ring to it.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
From: Omertà

To: Thread (usernames listed by thread superstar status, then seniority)

Subject: Stastus of jew emails?!?!!

Thanks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, what about his emails? If abugatu is going to die in nuclear holocaust, he should get to read the emails.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

What are the thread's thoughts on part time law programs? I work in a legal field that values graduate degrees, but whenever I ask someone with an MBA/MPP/MPA about their programs, the response tends to be "I wish I had a JD instead," but it's also not recommended to leave my field for three years to complete a degree and expect to be able to get back in at all.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Neon Belly posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on part time law programs?

1. The ABA fucks you and pretty much makes everyone fit the same 4-year program, which is not as "part-time" as it sounds (9 credit minimums IIRC).

2. If you can go at night, do it.

3. But only if you can go to a reasonably inexpensive ABA accredited school.

I know a biglaw partner that did the night thing; it can work out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ulmont posted:

1. The ABA fucks you and pretty much makes everyone fit the same 4-year program, which is not as "part-time" as it sounds (9 credit minimums IIRC).

2. If you can go at night, do it.

3. But only if you can go to a reasonably inexpensive ABA accredited school.

I know a biglaw partner that did the night thing; it can work out.

The only part time program I've ever heard of anyone having success with is Suffolk. But I also chiefly know New England and Midwest lawyers, so my awareness is limited.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Pook Good Mook posted:

The only part time program I've ever heard of anyone having success with is Suffolk. But I also chiefly know New England and Midwest lawyers, so my awareness is limited.

This is partly because it's one of the only night programs still around

My experience with it: made law review, graduated, kept my job, transitioned into the legal department - now I'm just waiting for bar results

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Luckily, I live in DC and I think every school here has an evening program.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My school, which is really only useful for practicing in western PA, has a part time night program and people seem to like it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nm posted:

Yeah, what about his emails? If abugatu is going to die in nuclear holocaust, he should get to read the emails.

Seems like a fair trade.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Neon Belly posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on part time law programs? I work in a legal field that values graduate degrees, but whenever I ask someone with an MBA/MPP/MPA about their programs, the response tends to be "I wish I had a JD instead," but it's also not recommended to leave my field for three years to complete a degree and expect to be able to get back in at all.

I guess it depends why you need the degree? Like why can't you just keep doing what you have been doing (especially if a lot of other people in the field aren't lawyers)? I have heard somewhat positive things about GULC's night program (in terms of outcomes) and since its the highest ranked school in DC that's probably where you should be aiming if you do go.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've been looking at Georgia states night program. I'm in the "wish I had a JD instead of MPA" camp as above. I have tenure at a cushy federal job so I don't want to leave for three years, but need a JD or PHD to ever go above front line supervisor/mid manager. Night school for a low price sounds like a good deal to me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

The only part time program I've ever heard of anyone having success with is Suffolk. But I also chiefly know New England and Midwest lawyers, so my awareness is limited.

McGeorge has a fairly well respected night program in norcal and nevada. I think it is the best night program in the region reputationwise. The night school grads are thought of more highly than the day program people. Lots of very successful lawyers out of it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Yeah send me the emails, I promise not to post them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Yeah send me the emails, I promise not to post them.

He's an island lawyer, you can trust him.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I'm over it now. :unsmith:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Another law school thread success

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler posted:

I think I'm over it now. :unsmith:

ajahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaqhqhhahahahha

why the gently caress did you write that. I like how you broke it out in its own paragraph too. and that's without going into how loving weird it is to cold email someone at an office and ask them for tips and experience pre interview. what the hell man

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Emails

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lol you emailed at 5am and asked if they Jewish. Wow.

Thanks for posting though.

What email did career services send you?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I think I'm over it now. :unsmith:

Goongrats, you've secured your status as a law thread legend.

Though I still want to know what language you used in lieu of "chosen people."

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 10, 2017

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I wanna know the exact phrasing, because I find it interesting you started with "the". The what? The Jewish race? A specific tribe of Israel? The dirty rats who secretly control all of society?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EwokEntourage posted:

I wanna know the exact phrasing, because I find it interesting you started with "the". The what? The Jewish race? A specific tribe of Israel? The dirty rats who secretly control all of society?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Elders of Zion?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

He actually just used the phrase "chosen people"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

disjoe posted:

He actually just used the phrase "chosen people"

In 24 point?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Career services: If you note any shared interests or personal details about your interviewer, don't be afraid to start a conversation.

Goon law student: Hey dude, you some kind of Hasidic cultist or what? Kind regards,

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
That is such a douche email.

Litany
Feb 5, 2005
the stains become a warning?

EwokEntourage posted:

I wanna know the exact phrasing, because I find it interesting you started with "the". The what? The Jewish race? A specific tribe of Israel? The dirty rats who secretly control all of society?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It looks like there is room for some 25-30 characters in the redacted space. The time for wild speculation is now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Stompin shegetz, screwin shiksas...as long as we're home by saturday mornin

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Owns. I claim full origination credit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vox Nihili posted:

It looks like there is room for some 25-30 characters in the redacted space. The time for wild speculation is now.

Elder of zion.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You have to be more subtle. Ask them how they feel about the Fuhrer or what 14 words do they live by.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

times like these are why I post here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Slaan posted:

I've been looking at Georgia states night program.

It was great around 12 years ago. I graduated on law review from GSU at night and went into big law for a decade.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4