Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
So hey, they finally put timestamps in chat like people have been asking for since beta. Woo!

Unfortunately it's in-game only.

Wait, in-game?

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with timestamps in-game? If it on my screen I know when it was typed, it was typed a few seconds ago!

loving hell...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Garrosh does not like getting shot in the chest by Tychus.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have a problem where I don't know how to end games in general but especially on Haunted Mines. I've had multiple games where there's one idiot on our team who keeps dying immediately, we take down two of their guys, then nothing happens. Then the reverse happens and they're up 3-2 and nothing happens. Maybe we get a slightly better golem. This goes on for ten+ minutes.

What's the right thing to do here? Push all together as soon as we have a bigger golem?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

No Wave posted:

I have a problem where I don't know how to end games in general but especially on Haunted Mines. I've had multiple games where there's one idiot on our team who keeps dying immediately, we take down two of their guys, then nothing happens. Then the reverse happens and they're up 3-2 and nothing happens. Maybe we get a slightly better golem. This goes on for ten+ minutes.

What's the right thing to do here? Push all together as soon as we have a bigger golem?

The long spawn times in late game are really what determine who wins or loses, in HotS more than the other mobas I've played. Once you get a team fight that ends with you up 1-2 people on the other team, push as hard as you possibly can whether you have a golem or not. That 45-60 second spawn time means that you'll probably be in their base before they're back up to full strength, and if they do try to team fight you in the meantime you can hopefully stagger them even further.

If you've already got siege equipment/camps in play it might be better to grab the golem first though, since it will pull the other team in multiple directions and you can easily wipe them while they're distracted.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

If you're 5v3 during the mines phase you go down there as 5, see on the minimap where the enemy team are grabbing skulls and go murder the poo poo out of them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fuzz posted:

AFKing in a match is lovely and bad and you shouldn't do it.

Full stop.

True, though unexpected IRL poo poo does come up so it's polite (lol) practice not to rage at dudes who do, especially in AI. Benefit of the doubt and all that. If they expose themselves to be scum, treat 'em like scum I guess.

Toshimo posted:

Do you get more xp in AI with human teammates than with AI teammates?

Human teammates you queued with award group bonus exp (larger groups is better), and even more if at least 1 is a BNet friend. /join reddit is a decent way to find an AI teammates on demand since they're a larger group than SAGoons.

single queuing into 4 random human teammates gives 0 bonus exp, so EdRush is correct to that extent.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BrianBoitano posted:

True, though unexpected IRL poo poo does come up so it's polite (lol) practice not to rage at dudes who do, especially in AI. Benefit of the doubt and all that. If they expose themselves to be scum, treat 'em like scum I guess.

This is fair, however the OP of that whole diatribe was talking about how he went to go cook dinner with his wife. That's not unexpected IRL poo poo, that's just not giving a gently caress.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrianBoitano posted:

Human teammates you queued with award group bonus exp (larger groups is better), and even more if at least 1 is a BNet friend. /join reddit is a decent way to find an AI teammates on demand since they're a larger group than SAGoons.

Thanks. That's an unexpectedly good suggestion for when I'm messing about with a build. Finally, a use for reddits.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Beginner AI matches are not real matches. No one goes to beginner AI to play hots, the AI is literally just afk autoattacking. People go there to farm free XP, gold and quest credits. Afking isn't ruining anyone's fun, it's putting a slight dent in their gold-per-hour.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gustav posted:

Beginner AI matches are not real matches. No one goes to beginner AI to play hots, the AI is literally just afk autoattacking. People go there to farm free XP, gold and quest credits. afking isn't ruining anyone's fun, it's putting a slight dent in their gold-per-hour.
So queue an AI vs AI game and go wild. It's loving obnoxious for other players to carry someone's rear end and the game would be vastly improved if intentional afkers in games involving humans were all banned.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Oh god, you had to "carry" someone in a beginner AI game, the game probably took 2 minutes longer and his absence had zero impact on your enjoyment of the match whatsoever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gustav posted:

Oh god, you had to "carry" someone in a beginner AI game, the game probably took 2 minutes longer and his absence had zero impact on your enjoyment of the match whatsoever.
Sorry it did because gently caress him. I'm not playing this game in any mode to carry some douchebag who wants one sixth of a loot box (I don't play beginner ai but most people would be similarly irritated) by cheating an overly generous reward system. It will piss me and most players off regardless because nobody would opt into playing with afk players.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

You should probably try a beginner AI game, I don't think you appreciate just how effortless it is. A couple of people afk isn't holding you back in the slightest.

I mean it's akin to complaining to that someone is afking in a chatroom

Gustav fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 9, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

so i just uh

i got an email saying that i'm a "sun's out guns out" winner

dated today???
?

?????
????????????

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gustav posted:

You should probably try a beginner AI game, I don't think you appreciate just how effortless it is. A couple of people afk isn't holding you back in the slightest.

I know how braindead Beginner is. Normally most of us wouldn't have cared, but for some reason this poster thought it was a bright idea to add the player who insulted him for AFK-ing, insulting him back and then posting in the thread about it thinking he'd be received like a champion. gently caress that guy.

Power Bottom posted:

so i just uh

i got an email saying that i'm a "sun's out guns out" winner

dated today???
?

?????
????????????

Well, what did you win? One of those sweet Illidan statues 15-year-old you would have loved?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gustav posted:

I completed my recruit a friend vulture quest by AFKing in AI games while my 4 AI allies won the game for me.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

No Wave posted:

This is actually a really big problem. So many people refuse to end the game unless it's 5v0 all buildings destroyed. Basically, if you have an advantage, press it. If they've got 2 guys dead, get the objective, pressure a fort. Once everyone is 16 or so, running back to grab all the mercs since the other team wiped is the dumbest thing every pub LOVES to do. Similarly, not dying and not overextending is the most important thing you can do after level 12 or so on maps where objectives matter.
Try to reinforce that to your team, as politely as possible. "Ok guys, good job just stay alive and don't get greedy and we win" and so on, pinging dangerous areas or asking folks not to engage if you're gonna grab something. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

On that topic, has anyone else noticed the changes to the QM matchmaker avoiding mirrors seems more prone to "average" team skill? So instead of say trying to put everyone of comparable MMR together (unless a group queued and had mmr disparity) it'll instead do more "3 guys just learning on both teams sandbagging someone who knows how to play, and another okay player" matches?

Power Bottom posted:

i got an email saying that i'm a "sun's out guns out" winner dated today
don't forget they'll need your blizzard password and social security number to verify you're today's lucky winner!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Huh. Did anyone else notice that they added a Garrosh Announcer pack? Because I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere, but it's in there.

And without the +50% shard mark up for new items, to boot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It has the same flaw that a lot of the announcers have: way too many generic quotes. Gazlowe has truly spoiled us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVcoATGkAQ

"I see you picked the strongest hero." -Garrosh the announcer being humble when you picked him as your hero.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 9, 2017

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I know it's not popular to complain about Butcher but why the gently caress did they buff him in a way that makes him a runaway train in QM? Before even if you lacked blinds or CC you could just keep pressure on him to not let him stack. Now he gets his stacks in 5 minutes and if your random comp isn't prepared for that it is gg.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Butcher was already the strongest or second strongest hero in QP. I'd assumed this change would be somehow a nerf but apparently not... Really questionable decision on their part.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
When I read the Butcher changes I couldn't tell if they would be a buff or nerf because they re-tuned his scaling at both ends. Looks like a buff then?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Libertine posted:

When I read the Butcher changes I couldn't tell if they would be a buff or nerf because they re-tuned his scaling at both ends. Looks like a buff then?

If you basically get involved at all with your team trying to get picks, yeah, it's a buff. If your team never gets kills or you try to play Creep Farm Simulator 2008 like old Butcher, then it's a nerf.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
It is only a nerf if you stack by farming minions. Before you needed either 125 minion kills or 25 hero kills. Now you need either 200 minion kills or 8 hero kills/assists

In high level play where there is only a handful of deaths, that doesn't change a whole lot or may even be a slight nerf. In QM where there are many deaths, he can stack extremely fast. Also abattoir being gone means you actually get to pick a level 1 talent now.

I just played as Butcher. In the mid-skirmish, we got 3 kills. Then I went down a lane and got a gank. 2 minutes in, I was at 110 meat. By end of the game I was doing 900 damage AA.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why are there so many people who thought butcher was a bad hero :psyduck:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
While the decision seems like an absolute trainwreck for quick match, I'm thrilled that they've re-geared The Butcher toward a more ganking and team-fight oriented playstyle. Definitely the correct choice to capture the hero's fantasy, and way more fun to play. I just hope they don't nerf him in to the ground trying to balance him.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Before the patch, Butcher could creep farm his meat in ~10 mins or so. Now it's closer to 20, however if he makes the slightest contributions in teamfights without dying, he will without fail come online in 10. He was absolutely buffed and is such a nuisance now, considering you have to divert so much attention to him in order to keep him meat free through out the match.

Garrosh is cool and sexy, though he makes me yearn for a support specific hero that focuses on entirely buffing/debuffing. Lots of Garrosh's abilities hinge on reducing attack speed or attack damage and I just have this feeling that, a hero who's entire focus is amor reduction/grant armor, attack speed+/-, and attack dmg +/- would add a nice touch of class to a game otherwise lacking.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Anyone else being D/Ced right when the enemy core goes to 0 HP? I've been D/Ced right at that moment 4 times since patch yesterday and dont get loot or xp from those matches. Most of those times I was MVP, I don't know if thats related or not.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Anyone else being D/Ced right when the enemy core goes to 0 HP? I've been D/Ced right at that moment 4 times since patch yesterday and dont get loot or xp from those matches. Most of those times I was MVP, I don't know if thats related or not.

Yeah. I just posted about this in the whining thread.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, what did you win? One of those sweet Illidan statues 15-year-old you would have loved?

Coolness Averted posted:

don't forget they'll need your blizzard password and social security number to verify you're today's lucky winner!

Email said five Summer chests, account had five common chests.

what is happening :psyduck:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Power Bottom posted:

Email said five Summer chests, account had five common chests.

what is happening :psyduck:
At the time all loot chests automatically were replaced with summer event chests. The event probably wasn't set to award the latter specifically.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

First game with Garrosh and I tossed a Butcher over our gate to murder him with towers. This rules

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AlmightyBob posted:

First game with Garrosh and I tossed a Butcher over our gate to murder him with towers. This rules

My first ranked game (with goons) I got a Malf flip into towers kill and I got to throw our Zuljin to his death in the last 20 seconds when victory was already guaranteed

Countdown until an all-garrosh game mode

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I think they should just change blackhearts bay to permanently be the booty coffers brawl

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

He's extremely easy to shutdown if you have the right comp: 2 or more blinds/stuns/polymorphs, one right when he dives and one right after that one wears off, and focus him down. Problem is this requires some coordination which is sorely lacking in QM/HL. He has no escape and little survivability and his entire gimmick requires him to dive into the enemy's backline and heal himself enough to get a kill.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Someone posted a tentative list leak of the upcoming 5 or so heroes (Alexstrazsa, Firebat, Junkrat,&) but I can't find it. Does anyone remember what the heroes were and where that list originated from?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Kel'Thuzad was on that list, can't remember the last one but it was probably Aquaman from the SNES smash hit Justice League Task Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
KT, Junkrat, Ana, Firebat, Alexstraza