Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

KungFu Grip posted:

I want to see Bushi and Hiromu as Jr Tag Champions imo

i'd be into it. and you gotta do something to break evil out of the trios scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Reddit is saying this is the new "IWGP European Championship" despite the fact is clearly says "Intercontinental" on it.

Everyone is in uproar at the amount of belts but nobody in the thread has pointed this out and I give up

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

shiksa posted:

i'd be into it. and you gotta do something to break evil out of the trios scene.

Evil and Sanada for the Heavyweight tag titles

Naito for the Heavyweight title too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

This but Dragon Lee and Hiromu doing the tag partners who hate each other thing

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Thrifting Day! posted:

Reddit is saying this is the new "IWGP European Championship" despite the fact is clearly says "Intercontinental" on it.

Everyone is in uproar at the amount of belts but nobody in the thread has pointed this out and I give up

I still stand by my supposition that there are only too many belts when they can't come up with good programs around them, and by that metric, what belts should be eliminated? Maybe the 6 man and one of the tag belts? But even then those belts give the light heavyweights, young boys, and old men something to contend for.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

How could anyone think a belt where the front plate is literally a map of Asia is a European title?

Also I am absolutely fine with the number of belts at the moment. They all serve their purpose and all add a little something to the matches they're involved in.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The more belts there are, the more belts there are for Yano to steal. I see nothing wrong with this.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Only if NJPW were to actually be serious about them instead of making them just another filler tag title holder in between the endless Young Bucks - RPG Vive feud.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well you dont have to worry about rpg vice anymore so

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Jubs posted:

I am shocked that the last match on both nights determined the winners of each bracket.

So I think that's 22 straight tournaments where that has happened.

23!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I Before E posted:

This but Dragon Lee and Hiromu doing the tag partners who hate each other thing

I'm pretty sure Hiromu loves Lee. When he made his adorable BoSJ scrapbook, the entry for Lee just said "LOVE"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Thrifting Day! posted:

If there's two things Japanese wrestling loving loves, it's belts and factions.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was like a 6 month period where WWF made it work with like, 6 titles in 2000. So Sure, why not.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Thrifting Day! posted:

The album that the Reddit post linked to even says "So what would you think if there WERE a European belt? This isn't a picture of one, I just found it on google and thought it might be a neat design for a hypothetical belt that nobody has said is going to exist." But really it's the poster's fault for assuming people on Reddit read anything before posting about it if there's a picture.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NJPW right now currently has more recognized and sanctioned championships aside from CMLL, which has like a billion belts, than any other major company post territory era, at least as a single-conference type promotion. The only thing that I think comes close is WCW in 1991, where they went nuts and just made belts for the sake of having them. I guess you can count WWF in 2001 too if you consider the Invasion, but it was more or less a foregone conclusion those belts were all merging by years end anyway. WWE today has 9 main roster championships, but those titles are also locked up in a brand split, with Raw having 5 and Smackdown having 4, so its easier to parse those championships as being representative of different conferences, wheras NJPW its a free for all for who gets to contend for what championships.

NJPW currently sanctions:
IWGP Heavyweight Championship
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
IWGP United States Championship
IWGP Intercontinental Championship
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
NEVER Openweight Championship
NEVER Openweight 6-Man Championship

WCW had at peak belt year 1991:

WCW World Heavyweight Championship (1991-2001)
WCW Television Championship (1991-2000)
WCW United States Championship (1991-2001)
WCW Light Heavyweight Championship (1991-1992)
WCW 6-Man Tag Team Championship (1991-1991)
WCW United States Tag Team Championship (1991-1992)
WCW World Tag Team Championship (1991-2001)

As evidenced here, a lot of these titles were created when WCW was finally defined and separated from the NWA during an establishment period, and were dropped pretty quickly. The 6 man and US tag Titles were dropped for good, the Light Heavyweight title would be brought back as the Cruiserweight title years later. 1996 wound up being something of another expansion year with the addition of a women's championship that was hardly defended and dropped not too long after its inception. An August 1996 Observer noted that a WCW Japanese Heavyweight championship was commissioned, but it never came to fruition. My speculation was that this would have been a championship to be loaned out to NJPW since that was their primary partner out there.

WWF in 2001, not counting WCW championships:

WWF World Heavyweight Championship
WWF Intercontinental Championship
WWF European Championship
WWF Hardcore Championship
WWF Light Heavyweight Championship
WWF Womens Championship
WWF World Tag Team Championship

WWF in 2001 had a large number of championships for a single conference promotion, with the Hardcore title as the obvious comedy belt. The only championships that ever got serious focus and push/protection were their Heavyweight championship and for a period the Tag Team championship (e&c/dudleys/hardys period), which was still treated like a burden when main eventers held it.

Contrast this to NJPW, where while the tag championships are overlooked and haven't been seriously protected or treated as main event titles in years, (Only really AJPW and ROH, outside of mexico, in the past 25 years really pushed tag team titles to such a level) NJPW's singles titles today all get strong pushes and are protected to a degree that WWF/E never really did beyond their two main championships. Most of this has more to do with how protected most of NJPWs talent is and how much credibility they give to their wrestlers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If NJPW were to make another belt though, we'd be running out of space for these champions.

The IWGP Heavyweight Championship is probably the most protected championship in wrestling today.

The US championship seems like its only going to be defended either stateside or against western opponents.

The NEVER championship seems like its an unspoken hard hitting match style championship, seeing as the last batch of champions have been guys like Suzuki, Shibata, Ishii, Makabe, etc.

The IC championship is the second highest ranking championship mostly only being held by guys at the IWGP HW championship match level, to the point it was basically a second sanctioned top tier belt a couple of years back.

The Jr. Heavyweight championship definitely went on the back burner during Devitt's last run, and since Takahashi won it last year, it's just finally been getting regular action and focus.

The Jr. Tag titles seem to for the longest time have just been the Young Bucks Are In This Match belt and never seem to stay on one team to have an actual reign with.

The HW tag titles have been in a bad place for a long while. I think War Machine have done good with them, and hopefully we get Smith and Archer back in the mix soon with Archer all healed up finally. I think these have the potential to become a hard hitting tag team style championship similar to the Never Openweight title.

The NEVER 6 man titles really come off as pointless other than to signify the "main event" of the Multiman Tag portion of main show undercards and some Road To shows.

this is all just my perception of the championship but I feel its pretty on the mark as an assessment of them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

gif Probst posted:

WCW had at peak belt year 1991:

WCW Light Heavyweight Championship (1991-1992)
WCW 6-Man Tag Team Championship (1991-1991)
WCW United States Tag Team Championship (1991-1992)

As evidenced here, a lot of these titles were created when WCW was finally defined and separated from the NWA during an establishment period, and were dropped pretty quickly. The 6 man and US tag Titles were dropped for good, the Light Heavyweight title would be brought back as the Cruiserweight title years later. 1996 wound up being something of another expansion year with the addition of a women's championship that was hardly defended and dropped not too long after its inception. An August 1996 Observer noted that a WCW Japanese Heavyweight championship was commissioned, but it never came to fruition. My speculation was that this would have been a championship to be loaned out to NJPW since that was their primary partner out there.

1997 had:

WCW Cruiserweight Championship (1996 - 2001)
WCW Women's Championship (1996-1997)
WCW Women's Cruiserweight Championship (1997)

Both womens titles ended up going to Japan as part of the working releationship with GAEA but since that ended in late 1997 it was very shortlived. I wonder where those belts are now.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

coconono posted:

Shibata comes back and says his name is Daryl. Problem solved everyone.

:five:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gif Probst posted:

The US championship seems like its only going to be defended either stateside or against western opponents.

this is all just my perception of the championship but I feel its pretty on the mark as an assessment of them.

We really don't have any idea how the US title is going to be used, because it was first awarded right before the kickoff of the G1. My guess though is that it is immediately a top belt that gets defended on pretty much every show just like the Never and Intercontinental belts. It's first champion guarantees it at least a top spot for the time being.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, the whole mixup with ROH announcing a US title match in October and New Japan being like “un-announce that” suggests that it’ll be defended one of the nights of Destruction next month. Probably against Elgin?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Young Bucks should move up to Heavyweight to give some life to both tag divisions.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Yeah, the whole mixup with ROH announcing a US title match in October and New Japan being like “un-announce that” suggests that it’ll be defended one of the nights of Destruction next month. Probably against Elgin?

That might be the case.

But ROH really did presume/not ask about a US title defence.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
has kushida been on this tour at all
i completely forgot he was junior champion

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

More likely against Juice.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

checksin posted:

has kushida been on this tour at all
i completely forgot he was junior champion

he needs his rest after that loving sunset flip powerbomb hiromu hit on him

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did we have this many 'wheres EVIL at?' questions during best of the super juniors

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hell we didn't see Okada for most of the Super Juniors and no Kenny.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MrBling posted:

1997 had:

WCW Cruiserweight Championship (1996 - 2001)
WCW Women's Championship (1996-1997)
WCW Women's Cruiserweight Championship (1997)

Both womens titles ended up going to Japan as part of the working releationship with GAEA but since that ended in late 1997 it was very shortlived. I wonder where those belts are now.

Didn't the women's cruiserweight title get all of 1 match on WCW Main Event and was never in the promotion ever again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

did we have this many 'wheres EVIL at?' questions during best of the super juniors

I ask that every time EVIL isn't on screen

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

I ask that every time EVIL isn't on screen

He should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yeah it disappoints me to think there's people who don't realize that the juniors basically exist for a month and a half in New Japan and the rest of the year is mostly heavyweight stuff. It would cut down on that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats not true either

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah it disappoints me to think there's people who don't realize that the juniors basically exist for a month and a half in New Japan and the rest of the year is mostly heavyweight stuff. It would cut down on that.

Hi

Please watch Wrestle Kingdom, Sakura Genesis and Dominion

E: in that order

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i feel more confident about knowing new japan stuff as I'm still watching more and getting caught up with the G1, but I feel like I need some help understanding Yoshi Hashi. All I've seen involving him was tag matches on the big show prelims, and his NEVER title shot against Suzuki, so I still feel like I've just not seen enough of him to really get his character.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i feel more confident about knowing new japan stuff as I'm still watching more and getting caught up with the G1, but I feel like I need some help understanding Yoshi Hashi. All I've seen involving him was tag matches on the big show prelims, and his NEVER title shot against Suzuki, so I still feel like I've just not seen enough of him to really get his character.

He has (had?) LOOSE EXPLOSION on the back of his tights. That's it. That's his character.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

With the staff and the robe I kinda think he's supposed to have a Sun Wukong thing going on but it's all over the place.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thrifting Day! posted:

Hi

Please watch Wrestle Kingdom, Sakura Genesis and Dominion

E: in that order

I watched the top 3 matches on each card and uh, the only match that had juniors had KUSHIDA lose in 2 minutes.

Bunch of great heavyweight and openweight matches between heavyweights though!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

His character has always been a bit over the place. He's the kid who's always been trying to find his own identity and make a name for himself.

Back in the day both Okada and Nakamura had their lower card guy they regularly tagged with, their little brother so to speak (even if in both cases the little brother was older than them) who they were mentoring. For Nakamura it was Ishii who grew into becoming who he is today, for Okada it was YOSHI-HASHI. YOSHI-HASHI ate a lot of pins in tag matches through the years, and was always just seen as a guy who wasn't there or going to make it. Then last year he had a real coming out party, putting together a pretty good run of matches and looking more impressive even in defeat before he started actually winning some. The crowd got behind him and started rooting for him and he became a bit of an underdog.

The headhunter thing comes from him going after the big names - he doesn't want to just beat people on his level he wants to prove himself in some way along the way by taking down the big names and showing he belongs. Mostly he fails, but sometimes he does it. He's almost the anti-Goto, he loses a lot but every now and then he pulls out the big one.

Inevitably somewhere long down the road there's going to be a match with Okada. And I think the crowd is going to be really into it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, there was a standoff earlier in the summer (Dominion?) where Yoshi-Hashi was the real brave one to stand up to the opposing faction leader. I don't remember if it was CHAOS vs LIJ or Suzuki-gun, probably Suzuki. I just remember thinking "PUSH TACOS!!!" immediately after that. He's also been good in the G1 this year.

Also, amazing how NJPW can keep guys relevant such that, even when they're the designated jobber of the group, they can be pushed at a moment's notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

He's gotten better over the past 2 years, but the thing about his "younger brother trying to find his place" character is that he's 35 years old. So now he's more like a guy that took a year off between high school and college to 'figure out what he really wants to do' and now he's in his mid-30s, working minimum-wage jobs while his colleagues all built careers, but this year he's finally gonna get himself together.

• Locked thread