Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

All of them are worth it, awesome, (affordable) and whether you apply it to your photography/lighting projects, writing, film, etc. it will fill you with a creative spirit to get off your rear end and do something so you won't have to worry about the problems.

Or you can forget all that and read some real writing advice from Nick Lowe that is great for any creative project.

CelticPredator posted:

Edit never mind. Another lovely day, more
Useless complaining about poo poo.

Just ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

But that's a good movie.

I didn't mean anything by it.

I like it despite it being more goofy than the previous films. Although as i understand it; it's not well liked or considered good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Or you can forget all that and read some real writing advice from Nick Lowe that is great for any creative project.

gently caress off you goddamn weirdo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

:hfive:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nick Lowe?

More like Nick Blow!*

*As in fellatio not as in cocaine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

what in god's name is it with Serious Writing People and utterly forgetting how to write in plain loving English

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a lot of issues with Save the Cat, but for all its flaws, at least Blake Snyder isn't firmly lodged up his own rear end in a top hat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nroo posted:

Youtube of the Day is actually from Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

Peter Watkin's The War Game from 1965

Fun and Topical!

Peter Watkins is so good. I need to make time soon to watch The Journey (also extremely topical)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/895407595539779584

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Simon Kinberg is producing Neuromancer, so my expectations are rock bottom.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why couldn't Spielberg have taken Neuromancer and Deadpool guy have taken Ready Player One?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't trust Spielberg of all people with Neuromancer. Like I'm not saying he couldn't pull it off, but tonally I'm just not seeing it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why couldn't the Vincenzo Natali/Tsutomu Nihei version have escaped development hell instead of this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
a film version of Neuromancer has "been in production" almost constantly since the late 80s. The 1988 game had a sticker saying "based on the upcoming feature film". At one point the guy who directed Torque was attached. It's never gonna happen.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thank god. It's a great book. I've read it at least three times. It doesn't need to be a movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Holy poo poo y'all, Pulp Fiction's playing on the big screen in KC next week.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how well Neuromancer would even work as a film. It's a great book, but it gets pretty bonkers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know how well Neuromancer would even work as a film. It's a great book, but it get pretty bonkers.

The basic plot is fairly simple, iirc, and it just starts getting trippy once the greater-scope conflict is revealed (and even then, not in a way that would be difficult to translate to film).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know how well Neuromancer would even work as a film. It's a great book, but it gets pretty bonkers.

I get why people want to do a film of it, it's got that Ender's Game thing where "oh yeah I've heard of that", but at the same time, it's Gibson's worst novel by just about every available metric. A stylish Atomic Blonde style thriller based on his Bigend trilogy would be cheaper and honestly I think would work (Pattern Recognition was his most successful novel in quite some time when it came out).

I would also absolutely loving kill for a version of his new book, The Peripheral, but it's way out there conceptually.

Mona Lisa Overdrive or Idoru would be the best shot at adapting single novels, but nobody wants to do that because one is at the end of a trilogy and the other is in the middle of one and everyone thinks "well if it's a hit we want to do the whole trilogy in order".

IIRC there is someone wanting to adapt Virtual Light (the first book in the trilogy that Idoru is the second book of) into a series, which would probably be good

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The OKC art museum is doing a Lynch festival this weekend and I'm hype

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

idk why but this made me guffaw

quote:

Well, by this stage, you're probably bouncing up and down in your seat with barely-continent excitement, thinking, "Wow, am I really going to learn to write like Stephen Donaldson?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The most recent William Gibson adaptation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjY9-vclso4

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
You know what's a precocious and dope movie? Boiler Room.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I wouldn't trust Spielberg of all people with Neuromancer. Like I'm not saying he couldn't pull it off, but tonally I'm just not seeing it.

The only person that comes to mind who could really "get" neuromancer without just going full camp with it is Nicolas Winding Refn. I mean maybe Denis Villeneuve too but he's already doing Blade Runner.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The most recent William Gibson adaptation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjY9-vclso4

IMDB says this movie isn't good, but I don't know if I can pass on an Abel Ferrara movie with Christopher Walker and Willem Dafoe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lurdiak posted:

The only person that comes to mind who could really "get" neuromancer without just going full camp with it is Nicolas Winding Refn. I mean maybe Denis Villeneuve too but he's already doing Blade Runner.

Richard Ayoade, surely.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bad news guys/gals, I've discovered it's possible to get ulcers on the underside of your tongue by eating too much pussy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Bad news guys/gals, I've discovered it's possible to get ulcers on the underside of your tongue by eating too much underage pussy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why the gently caress are people White Knighting loving North Korea now?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
asmr of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoCFToFstSY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I mean at the moment being poo poo loving terrified of nuclear war is a pretty good reason

Like they are a raging shithole of a country but sweet merciful Christ this Trump/NK situation is going to suck for everybody

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That video of him with his arms petulantly crossed suggesting America will rain fire and brimstone on North Korea is an absolute nightmare.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

America bad therefore anyone against America good is the usual logic on that sort of thing

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean at the moment being poo poo loving terrified of nuclear war is a pretty good reason

Like they are a raging shithole of a country but sweet merciful Christ this Trump/NK situation is going to suck for everybody

I'm not even talking about that. Some dildo on facebook was just talking about how the perception of NK is "orientalist propaganda" from the west and that basically there's nothing wrong with the country or its leadership. Also when I made mention of the labor camps and meth addiction he just said "Thanks for the accurate description of America.", which is real clever if you don;t think about it for more than two seconds or apply any nuance and Jesus gently caress why are people talking about North Korea like it's a good place and other people are saying the Earth is flat when even Christopher Columbus didn't even believe that and goddamn it I can't handle people anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2011/1013/Nuclear-lesson-from-Libya-Don-t-be-like-Qaddafi.-Be-like-Kim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
People are very dumb.

• Locked thread