Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There was some talk earlier about Space Cop and how it's pretty bad. I've never seen it.

However I want to say that the Grabowskis an older RLM thing is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I had always wondered why Back to the Future hadn't gotten rebooted. Who owns the actual movie rights still?

It always seemed like it was ripe to have a really insanely poo poo reboot done that destroys both the iconography and fucks up the basic premise for product placement and endless jokes about millennials. Have the kid jump back to the 90's, the time machine is now a new F150 because the Doc replacement can talk about how the "all aluminum body" works with the tech in the same way Doc halfway said the original Delorean's Stainless Steel did, ads everywhere, the scene in the diner is like a 15 minute "who's on first" sketch with the kid asking for a Coke Zero, etc

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I had always wondered why Back to the Future hadn't gotten rebooted. Who owns the actual movie rights still?

It always seemed like it was ripe to have a really insanely poo poo reboot done that destroys both the iconography and fucks up the basic premise for product placement and endless jokes about millennials. Have the kid jump back to the 90's, the time machine is now a new F150 because the Doc replacement can talk about how the "all aluminum body" works with the tech in the same way Doc halfway said the original Delorean's Stainless Steel did, ads everywhere, the scene in the diner is like a 15 minute "who's on first" sketch with the kid asking for a Coke Zero, etc

And they can spend ten minutes talking about how good Papa John's pizza is because they didn't have any locations in Twin Pines in the 90s, and when they travel back to the future everyone is eating Papa John's and they're now the only restaurant because nobody wants to eat anything else. Then Biff comes back to the future with him and neither can figure out how to use the seashells.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I heard something about the guys who own the rights to back to the future (might be Zemeckis, I can't remember) that they were determined to not allow any remakes of the movies and that they had instructed their estate to keep this policy going after they die.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fabricated posted:

It's because Rob Zemeckis and Bob Gale still have the rights to the movie and have fought tooth and nail against a remake and one won't be made until they're both dead. Unfortunately this means when they eventually do die some jackass in Hollywood will probably make a remake

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Thing works as a remake because it's a fundamentally different movie.

it was also a lot closer to the source material. thing from another world moreso did its own thing.

itd be neat to see more john w campbell jr stories retold. the moon is hell us great but i suppose the martian is already pretty close to what that would be anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched BttF for the first time in forever and it holds up although it is a bit rapey.

Like the main plan is for marty to sexually assault his mom before his dad shows up to beat him off. And then Biff just short circuits the plan and goes for it.

PROBLEMATIC!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You know across every Star War movie we've never seen a Star Destroyer fully engaged in combat.

You'd think something named after a naval destroyer that's the size of a city would have thousands of guns and be an incredible sight to behold firing.

But they mostly just show up, release a couple dozen TIE Fighters, then get blown up by dinky single seater fighters.

The most you see is them firing a single cannon at a fighter. So at best they're ridiculously huge aircraft carriers that are way too big to only be hauling a few TIE fighters.

The Enterprise could take out dozens of them shits.

The enterprise could beam photon torpedoes in the star destroyers reactor from outside of the empire's scanning range.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
But Dath Vader could force-choke the Enterprises captain from outside their "please don't choke my bitch rear end oh god help me Worf" range.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

priznat posted:

I watched BttF for the first time in forever and it holds up although it is a bit rapey.

Like the main plan is for marty to sexually assault his mom before his dad shows up to beat him off. And then Biff just short circuits the plan and goes for it.

PROBLEMATIC!

Marty's mom was the one who unzipped marty's mcfly

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Benjamin Sisko is great.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Innerspace is on Netflix right now and it's great, watch it.

Used to be one of my fav movies as a kid, Martin Short sucks though good god.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Do you think it's possible to save GB16 in editing? If not save, then at least make it noticeably less bad?

There's gotta be enough improv footage for straight-laced conversations to be added here and there and make it more subtle.

You could probably splice together a ghost-catching/getting famous montage using actual marketing/press/internet stuff from the real world

vermin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 9, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Wars was saved in editing and rogue one was probably killed in editing. So it's a toss up

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

priznat posted:

PROBLEMATIC!

Marty wasn't going to sexually assault his mom... his mom was sexually assaulting him.

Biff was a full on rapist though so when you think about it, it's really loving weird that they just let the guy who was going to rape Marty's mom wash their car and do their chores many years later

Like goddamn it McFly he almost raped your wife 30 years ago why are you allowing him anywhere near your home

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

vermin posted:

Marty's mom was the one who unzipped marty's mcfly

She probably hosed him while he was unconscious in their house after being hit by the car, if we're being honest

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
“I’ve never seen anyone with purple underwear before” is such a great line.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The futurama episode where fry goes back in time and fucks his grandma was a more realistic depiction of time travel.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The thing remake was poo poo

All the characters were boring, the thing monsters looked bad and it wasn't particularly scary. Just not very good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star trek did it better where Quark was the roswell alien.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Jose Oquendo posted:

“I’ve never seen anyone with purple underwear before” is such a great line.

It turns out the 50s people were right about all the dumb 80s stuff Marty did. Like seriously, what is with that orange vest and the dorky calculator watch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

That really is the most glaring problem in the movie.

Ed Begley Jr telling everyone that guy poo poo himself is funny. Saying it 20 times in 20 different ways? Not funny.

yeah "he said his pants were toast" was funny but it goes on and on and on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zzulu posted:

All the characters were boring, the thing monsters looked bad and it wasn't particularly scary. Just not very good

What's super sad beyond the movie just having a ho-hum plot and, while not terrible, lacked anything interesting, was the fact that they set out to do everything old school with mostly physical effects and a company spent like a year prepping and were going to take physical effects to the next level but at the last moment they decided "lol nope 100% CG"

Also I showed my wife the plinket review, she got interested because I said it talks about improv. She's been taking improv classes for the last year or so.
She had to pause the video at times and just rant about how everyone was breaking some of the most 101 level fundamental rules of doing a multi-person improv scene. She was breaking down why their improv was bad how mike breaks down why starwars is bad. She was also telling me that when you are doing a whole show that's supposed to have an actual plot you have someone sort of in charge, a director or someone off-stage to signal when a scene is done, to change to the next scene, and to help keep things moving. She was yelling at the screen "cut!! stop!! OH MY GOD STOP TALKING!!! WHY IS NO ONE TELLING THEM TO STOP?!" so many times.

So not only was it a terrible idea to let them just improvise every scene without any direction, their improv was actually really bad and they were constantly breaking the basic rules that try to keep scenes relevant and interesting and to oh my god STOP TALKING STOP DANCING STOP DANCING STOP DANCING SHUT UP.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 9, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised the Plinkett review didn't really mention how much the RLM crew dislikes Ghosbusters II. They tear it up pretty hard in the commentary track, largely for being the same movie with the same scenes again, just like Plinkett is saying about 2016.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm surprised the Plinkett review didn't really mention how much the RLM crew dislikes Ghosbusters II. They tear it up pretty hard in the commentary track, largely for being the same movie with the same scenes again, just like Plinkett is saying about 2016.

That's because GBII is bad

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

This is the most dancing that went on in the past Ghostbusters movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irvlbKM-aqE

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's really strange that they have all those dancing scenes in GB2016 but they cut the one dance number that is actually somewhat important to the story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zzulu posted:

i also hated that the thing they find at the norwegian based in the original movie is two guys stuck together in the prequel when i thought it was pretty obviously one guy whose face was splitting apart.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Like seriously Hollywood quit it with the remakes goddamn. There's been hundreds of remakes over the years and I'd be hard pressed to name 10 of them that were actually worth watching and weren't immediately forgotten.

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-The Fly (also from the 80s)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
-Hammer Dracula and Francis Ford Coppola Dracula I guess?
-I'm drawing a blank

The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars and Star Wars are all debatable becuase they were all based on Akira Kurosawa films but changed the setting so it's a bit of a stretch. I like Mad Max Fury Road and Shin Godzilla a lot but to they count? I dunno, calling them remakes is also a bit of a stretch.

Also notice that half of those movies I listed were westerns. Oh and they remade the Magnificent Seven again, didn't they? I forgot about that. Like you know, most remakes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's really strange that they have all those dancing scenes in GB2016 but they cut the one dance number that is actually somewhat important to the story.

My friend just watched the Plinkett review and he noticed in the background that hundreds of cops were standing still in a pose and asked if there was a terrible dance scene.

Plinkett shouldn't have left that out because it is such a glaring reminder that the film apparently had some kind of script but in editing we got only the "best" takes and what Feig wrote was so bad you have continuous reminders during the finale that his script was cut in favor of the improv which was better.

Feig is the biggest loving hack.

e: Aykroyd redeems himself with that "he will NOT be allowed back on the Sony lot" line

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 10, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Marty wasn't going to sexually assault his mom... his mom was sexually assaulting him.

Biff was a full on rapist though so when you think about it, it's really loving weird that they just let the guy who was going to rape Marty's mom wash their car and do their chores many years later

Like goddamn it McFly he almost raped your wife 30 years ago why are you allowing him anywhere near your home

Yah but the ~plan~ didn't take into account that marty's mom was a boozy slattern :haw:

Also yeah keeping Biff around as a pet was weird but perhaps it is related to some freaky sex games marty's now middle aged parents now have to play.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like seriously Hollywood quit it with the remakes goddamn. There's been hundreds of remakes over the years and I'd be hard pressed to name 10 of them that were actually worth watching and weren't immediately forgotten.

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-I'm drawing a blank

The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars and Star Wars are all debatable becuase they were all based on Akira Kurosawa films but changed the setting so it's a bit of a stretch. I like Mad Max Fury Road and Shin Godzilla a lot but to they count? I dunno, calling them remakes is also a bit of a stretch.

Also notice that half of those movies I listed were westerns. Oh and they remade the Magnificent Seven again, didn't they? I forgot about that. Like you know, most remakes.

herzogs bad lieutenant

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gammatron 64 posted:

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-I'm drawing a blank

I kind of like the carrie and evil dead remakes

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Gammatron 64 posted:

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-I'm drawing a blank

I would consider Magnificent Seven and Fistful of Dollars to be more adaptations than remakes. Also Star Wars was in no way a remake of anything Kurosawa made. It borrowed a lot of his imagery but it borrowed more from other sources; it was never trying to be any of his movies.

And to add to the list, Ocean's 11. Which is also allegedly getting another remake.

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Also I showed my wife the plinket review, she got interested because I said it talks about improv. She's been taking improv classes for the last year or so.

Hopefully there's no kids involved because divorce is your only real option here.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think it's pretty simple:

Don't remake something that was already successful or popular.

Remake all the lovely flops you want.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I would consider Magnificent Seven and Fistful of Dollars to be more adaptations than remakes. Also Star Wars was in no way a remake of anything Kurosawa made. It borrowed a lot of his imagery but it borrowed more from other sources; it was never trying to be any of his movies.

And to add to the list, Ocean's 11. Which is also allegedly getting another remake.

Ran is a good remake :smug:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

corn in the bible posted:

Ran is a good remake :smug:

Again, more an adaptation.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
ummm Scorcese's Cape Fear anyone??????

Edit: in all seriousness, all the good remakes had good-to-great directors who seemed to have an actual interest in doing something unique with the source material rather than being the results of studios trying to remake blockbusters as boring PG-13 cash grabs and sticking no-names in the directors chair. Not that Paul Feig was a no-name, but he certainly proved to be a poor fit because he tried to do a beat-for-beat remake without any sort of direction whatsoever, and his "strength" seemed to be R-rated gross-out stuff rather than PG-13...whatever the hell GB2016 was supposed to be

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gammatron 64 posted:

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-I'm drawing a blank

Magnificent Seven wouldn't count because it's a completely different genre with just a core idea at the center. See also: most spaghetti westerns.

The Thing, True Grit, etc. are all based on books and the movies were retelling them, so that's a remake. Dracula, however wouldn't count because Coppola's has nothing to do with the Hammer films which had nothing to do with the book. It's similar to Fury Road in that it's different, unconnected takes on a character, not remakes. And Fury Road is also not a remake because it's the same director telling different campfire story tall tales about one mythical hero. See also Escape from NY/LA. So really there's only six remakes worth a poo poo on the list.

I'd add Friday the 13th ('09) which wasn't better than the originals, but was a very fun retelling of the first 3 movies. Also, Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead was dope.

The worst and most unnecessary remakes, of course, are Nightmare on Elm Street, Total Recall, Robocop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Ghostbusters.

The Thing (2011) is a prequel, and as such earns the title of the worst prequel ever.

Not to be confused with the worst reboot, which was Man of Steel.

Not to be confused with the worst soft seaboot which was Batman Forever.

• Locked thread