Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The game is finally decent six months later and it sucks it took that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's too bad the teams were separated, getting bonus gear for past Bioware purchases/achievements would be awesome ala Blood Dragon Armor in ME2.

Give me something for all these APEX points I have Blizzard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can spend 960 Apex Points for a random UR weapon

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The 960 point UR is a monkey's paw deal

It takes two weeks constantly rotating APEX teams to generate those points and you're going to feel bad when it gives you +1 to something you have and don't use instead of something you need

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I just buy uncommon characters when the option shows up. 52 to go :legion:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I buy the Rare weapon mods

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aside from the new weapon mods that cost APEX points, ive maxxed all of the bronze and silver characters and weapons.

Gold is gonna take awhile though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Seemlar posted:

The 960 point UR is a monkey's paw deal
A paw with the fingers foreverially curled in an eternal middle finger to the players

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just spent an evening playing me3 and God it was good. Justicar is insane.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
For those still playing, there's some nice gear on the store at the moment. Tech Damage and Recharge Speed - perfect for the angaran combo machine and the various engineers. And for those flamethrower turian agents?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do boosters and gear make it possible to get better than 100% Recharge Speed? I thought they hard capped it at 100% across the board, and I never carry two heavy guns so I have a bunch of boosters saved up

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Well 100% recharge speed would just halve your cooldowns I'm pretty sure.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yup.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

Well 100% recharge speed would just halve your cooldowns I'm pretty sure.

Right but what I'm saying is, if I already have 100% cooldown because I'm carrying a Charger, will equipment or boosters actually have any effect?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

precision posted:

Right but what I'm saying is, if I already have 100% cooldown because I'm carrying a Charger, will equipment or boosters actually have any effect?

I would hope so. I've been using them in those circumstances but I never actually took note of whether it made any difference.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Two Finger posted:

I would hope so. I've been using them in those circumstances but I never actually took note of whether it made any difference.

It does, a silver booster has a noticeable effect.
I couldnt tell you the numbers though, just that I notice it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

precision posted:

Yes, just so this is clear, your weight doesn't give you a cooldown boost. There's only penalties for being overweight. Being in the blue means all your cooldowns run at the numbers their stats sheet says they've got. You are running at a 1.0 (100%) multiplier to the cooldown times when you're not overloaded - Boosters, Gear, Proc, etc. comes in after that.

Basically, yes, pop your boosters if you want want shorter cooldowns.

Unless the world is hosed and Bioware happens I guess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Add me to the list of PS4 players, PSN is DrRockso_20

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, just got mostly-carried (17K score to 21-25K score from the other team members) through my first Platinum map. That was profoundly intense, and fun in a way that reminded me of playing ME3 multiplayer (and that Andromeda hadn't quite yet lived up to)

I also just got my first Ultra Rare character, the Krogan Gladiator. She seems... not that good? Lots of close-range abilities and not a whole lot to help her survive more than a few hits on higher difficulties

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ive been generally disappointed in the krogan classes. Im more than willing to chalk it up to me being a bad player, but they feel so much weaker than every other class. Like I get flattened everytime I peek out of cover.

Theyre slower than everyone (even without fortify running), which wouldnt be so bad if the game didnt punish you for not constantly moving.

I noticed it with the kroguard but figured it was just because I was new, but levelling the merc (which net consensus says is over powered?) was a loving chore and I hated it so much I havent even touched the engineer or gladiator.

It really feels like they should bump up the health and shields on those guys.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The Krogan Vanguard is such a weird design because it's basically taking the well-designed Human Vanguard and then loving up what makes her work for no reason:

- As a Human Vanguard, you can Nova to prime, Shockwave to detonate, and Charge to close distance / escape / recharge shields. As a Krogan Vanguard, you don't have Shockwave, so your primary defensive and utility tool has to play awkward double duty as your combo detonator
- As a Human Vanguard, you have a decent pool of both health and shields, and your survivability mostly comes from the fact that you can fully recharge your shields, on-demand, on a pretty low cooldown. As a Krogan Vanguard, you get a bunch more resistance and health regeneration, at the cost of a shield pool so tiny that it makes Bastion-Charge recharges negligible

Don't get me wrong, Vanguards are still fun as hell to play no matter what, but the Krogan one is just an exercise in "this kit is missing some very obvious things that would let it function properly if they were there"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Error 404 posted:

It really feels like they should bump up the health and shields on those guys.

This is really the issue, Korgan Vanguard has 780 (600-180) effective health which is only 30more than a basic Human. Compare this to ME3 where the Battle Master had 2000 (1000/1000) effective health. This is seen again for the ME4 Gladiator's 1025hp (700/325) and ME3's Warlord Sentinel's 2250hp (1000/1250).

So now you run/walk slower, have less air-dash, and can't even effectively hide behind cover half the time in exchange for less life.

The biggest loss is the Kogran Melee animation from ME3. Once you got used to it, you could just press the button to auto-lock on to your next target 10 feet away and pinball-chain to the rest of them. Now you have to awkwardly walk up to a guy and stand there for a second as a lovely headbutt animation plays.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Let's be honest, the biggest nerf to Krogans isn't their survivability or the loss of their heavy melee charge, it's the change to their light melee animation. ME3 Krogans didn't move while doing their light headbutt, while MEA Krogans take a step forward. Accordingly, ME3 Krogans could meet up between every wave and do synchronized headbutts until the next wave started, while, MEA Krogans awkwardly bowl past each other while trying to do the same

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

This is really the issue, Korgan Vanguard has 780 (600-180) effective health which is only 30more than a basic Human. Compare this to ME3 where the Battle Master had 2000 (1000/1000) effective health. This is seen again for the ME4 Gladiator's 1025hp (700/325) and ME3's Warlord Sentinel's 2250hp (1000/1250).

So now you run/walk slower, have less air-dash, and can't even effectively hide behind cover half the time in exchange for less life.

The biggest loss is the Kogran Melee animation from ME3. Once you got used to it, you could just press the button to auto-lock on to your next target 10 feet away and pinball-chain to the rest of them. Now you have to awkwardly walk up to a guy and stand there for a second as a lovely headbutt animation plays.

And unless I'm very much mistaken, all heavy melee animations in ME3 gave you a burst of DR.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn it's so satisfying to Snap Freeze and then get like five Cryo Explosions in a row from punching fools to pieces.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If MEA still had a developer the fact that holding melee isn't mapped to anything would give me hope because they could just add light/heavy melee attacks in an update.

Also since I've been playing him a bit, the Krogan Vanguard does still have one advantage - absolutely batshit crazy high AoE melee damage. Headbutt is one of the strongest melees and it's got a decent AoE (it's not Krogan hammer or asari sword huge, but it's decent). Kroguard damage doesn't come from the charges and the novas, it's from the headbutts.

Krogan Engineer is sweet as hell though - being incredibly tanky, good combos, health regen and providing AoE DR.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
gently caress it, make the krogan do less per-shot damage but give them 2-3x the health. They're the super tough species, let me stroll calmly through a firefight and headbutt a hydra or a fiend to death, jesus gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Geth gold kroguard solo crew reporting in.
I was too terrible to solo most other classes :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

If MEA still had a developer the fact that holding melee isn't mapped to anything

Ascension

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It was weird to solo platinum with a KroGuard because the best thing to do was to spec into shotgun power after charge and hump the stairs with a reegar

like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bTMaQt4_DA

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jenny Angel posted:

Let's be honest, the biggest nerf to Krogans isn't their survivability or the loss of their heavy melee charge, it's the change to their light melee animation. ME3 Krogans didn't move while doing their light headbutt, while MEA Krogans take a step forward. Accordingly, ME3 Krogans could meet up between every wave and do synchronized headbutts until the next wave started, while, MEA Krogans awkwardly bowl past each other while trying to do the same

I miss the mad cackle after a melee kill. ha-HA! :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Weirdly enough, Krogan Mercenary has been my favorite class so far, Flamethrower is just a really great power

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Krogan Gladiator's also a lot of fun once you start speccing her for crazy AoE damage. Sure, she won't get there as fast as a Vanguard, but she'll do a buttload of damage once she does. I haven't taken her into Gold, but let's be honest, even good Vanguards struggle with Gold or higher. Silly fun is usually reserved for Bronze and Silver.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WFGuy posted:

even good Vanguards struggle with Gold

uhhhh

nooooo. HuVan and Duelist are two of the easiest classes to run on Gold or Plat. Someone post that "Gentleman's Guide to Vanguarding"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Human Vanguards are easily capable of carrying a gold map. Between low-cooldown Charges and Saving Barrier, you have more free shield refills than just about anyone in the game, and enough mobility and built-in combo power to not even rely on the full extent of that sustainability that often

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do wish there was something on the HUD that let you know when Saving Barrier is capable of triggering, because a lot of times I'll go "oh gently caress better Charge" and realize I wasted my Charge because Saving Barrier had kicked in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't there a small shield icon?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

WFGuy posted:

Krogan Gladiator's also a lot of fun once you start speccing her for crazy AoE damage. Sure, she won't get there as fast as a Vanguard, but she'll do a buttload of damage once she does. I haven't taken her into Gold, but let's be honest, even good Vanguards struggle with Gold or higher. Silly fun is usually reserved for Bronze and Silver.

Yeah she hits really hard. I think her hammer is the strongest melee in the game both in terms of raw damage and AoE size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Two Finger posted:

Isn't there a small shield icon?

The small shield icon that pops on and off in your HUD is to show whether you're in or out of cover

• Locked thread