Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

divabot posted:

You should definitely apply for a full refund on your excellent opinions.

what's with the hostlity? like you guys are that annoyed by someone saying that maybe they could have utilised him better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A human heart posted:

what's with the hostlity? like you guys are that annoyed by someone saying that maybe they could have utilised him better?

Sorry if I came across as hostile, that wasn't the intention. I just really like that feat in the context of the sprawling composition and Reed's explanation of why he wanted to do it and the expletive was meant to emphasize that.

Biomute posted:

Did you know you can actually listen to Merzbow records?

I am aware of this exciting fact and occasionally even do listen to said records. I happen to think it's an interesting and fun thing to include in a song like At The Road's End, on an album like Sol, by a band like Seeming. Not something you hear every day.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 6, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Oh look what you made me do. You made me re-listen to Psychogenesis again for the 1000x time.

Starscorch is distilled 90s nostalgia injected directly into the vein

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

extradite THIS! posted:

Also The Cleaner your new album is hella loving good
Pardon my crassness but I want to have sex with the guitar on Pulling Teeth.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Does Gary Numan fit in this thread because his new poo poo is really drat good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1PSS90QDPs

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yes, yes, YES!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dammit Gary why are you putting out these songs which is making me buy a ticket to your concert which you're having in my city in a few months you IDIOT.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

extradite THIS! posted:

Also The Cleaner your new album is hella loving good

teethgrinder posted:

Pardon my crassness but I want to have sex with the guitar on Pulling Teeth.

Thanks. The trick is to use an old broken pawn-shop guitar - gets that sexiness just right.

A human heart posted:

why is merzbow just hanging out there at the end of one song. that's silly

Aside what other users have stated, keep in mind the song is talking about leaving behind the comforts of a traditional and safe environment and walking into the dark and unknown. So I mean, the concept/gimmick is pretty spelled out. Whether it works or not is your call. But the reason why it's there is pretty obvious imo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Cleaner posted:

Thanks. The trick is to use an old broken pawn-shop guitar - gets that sexiness just right.

Aside what other users have stated, keep in mind the song is talking about leaving behind the comforts of a traditional and safe environment and walking into the dark and unknown. So I mean, the concept/gimmick is pretty spelled out. Whether it works or not is your call. But the reason why it's there is pretty obvious imo.

I don't give a drat hoot about the lyrics

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A human heart posted:

I usually don't either but in this case I do and you might want to as well because a) Seeming's lyrics are v. good and b) as you can see, the lyrics provide the musical side of the song quite a bit of context.

But hey, it's not like you have to like the song or the Merzbow feat. I enjoy it a whole lot :shrug:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

A human heart posted:

Ah ha! See this is why song concepts are oblivious to you. Problem solved!
:hfive:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

I usually don't either but in this case I do and you might want to as well because a) Seeming's lyrics are v. good and b) as you can see, the lyrics provide the musical side of the song quite a bit of context.

But hey, it's not like you have to like the song or the Merzbow feat. I enjoy it a whole lot :shrug:

Seeming's lyrics are good, but they are also unapologetically honest and open in a way that might be off-putting to some people. I think you're right that you lose the context without the lyrics, but also I think that the context and themes of the album are a vital part of what Seeming was trying to do. I was into the whole thing, but I don't know how well the album holds up if the listener isn't picking up what he's putting down.

On a separate note, anyone else going to M'era Luna? I'm pretty excited, even though I'm mostly planning on seeing shorter sets from groups I've already seen live. I haven't seen Cruxshadows or DAF before, though, so that's pretty fun! Comedy KoRn playing a 1 1/4 hr show on Saturday night option, especially since it conflicts with Covenant.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I couldn't give a hoot about lyrics either but I thought the Merzbow solo was obviously correct where and how it was placed. YMMV.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Seeming's lyrics are good, but they are also unapologetically honest and open in a way that might be off-putting to some people. I think you're right that you lose the context without the lyrics, but also I think that the context and themes of the album are a vital part of what Seeming was trying to do. I was into the whole thing, but I don't know how well the album holds up if the listener isn't picking up what he's putting down.

On a separate note, anyone else going to M'era Luna? I'm pretty excited, even though I'm mostly planning on seeing shorter sets from groups I've already seen live. I haven't seen Cruxshadows or DAF before, though, so that's pretty fun! Comedy KoRn playing a 1 1/4 hr show on Saturday night option, especially since it conflicts with Covenant.

I would've loooooved to go seeing as a ton of my favorite bands are there, and it would've been great to hang out with ya, but I just wasn't able to afford it in the end this summer :qq: The first summer ain't easy for a freshly-graduated teacher, unfortunately. Maybe next year! Hope you have an awesome time in any case :hellyeah:

I'm def going to Stockholm to see FLA next week, Stockholm again for Bodyfest (Covenant!) in October and thinking of going to Schattenwelt in Wien in November (also Covenant! And Project Pitchfork!).

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Saw/met/touched/got touched by PIG last night.

loving glorious. Nicest dude- chatted with Raymond, En Esch, and Z Marr. Ghostfeeder was great (also nice guys!) and Julien-K was fun, they made some digs at Orgy and then covered Orgy's cover of Blue Monday.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching bootleg Gary Numan live videos on YouTube because I do that sort of thing.

"Ghost Nation" from the new album seems like it's a real destroyer.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Whispering Machines posted:

Julien-K was fun, they made some digs at Orgy and then covered Orgy's cover of Blue Monday.

I wonder what Amir did with the Roland GR-707 and IMG2010 I sold him back in the day, i'm betting he tore the guts out and stuck it in one of those sexy Jackson's.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

I would've loooooved to go seeing as a ton of my favorite bands are there, and it would've been great to hang out with ya, but I just wasn't able to afford it in the end this summer :qq: The first summer ain't easy for a freshly-graduated teacher, unfortunately. Maybe next year! Hope you have an awesome time in any case :hellyeah:

I'm def going to Stockholm to see FLA next week, Stockholm again for Bodyfest (Covenant!) in October and thinking of going to Schattenwelt in Wien in November (also Covenant! And Project Pitchfork!).

Thanks! Shame you can't join, but I totally understand about the cost - M'era Luna will probably be a one-time thing for me. Did FLA just announce their tour, like, last week? I've been waiting for them to release their dates forever and all of a sudden it's "surprise, 10 dates in 2 weeks!" Is October a good time to visit Stockholm? The Bodyfest lineup looks p. good for a one-day event.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Thanks! Shame you can't join, but I totally understand about the cost - M'era Luna will probably be a one-time thing for me. Did FLA just announce their tour, like, last week? I've been waiting for them to release their dates forever and all of a sudden it's "surprise, 10 dates in 2 weeks!" Is October a good time to visit Stockholm? The Bodyfest lineup looks p. good for a one-day event.

No, FLA's been talking about it for a while now. I think I bought the ticket to that show like two or three months ago.

Any time is probably a good time to visit Stockholm! Unfortunately you'll miss both the Nordic summer which is always a special thing and there won't be snow yet either, but it's a lovely city in any case. Of course autumn might mean it's rainy and somewhat cold, but I'm sure you could handle that.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i thought julien-k was made up of orgy dudes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

magiccarpet posted:

i thought julien-k was made up of orgy dudes
Looks like the two original guitarists until 2005.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

Orgy launched a crowdfunding campaign in August 2013 via Indiegogo.com with a $100,000 goal. Two months later, at the conclusion of the campaign, the band had only raised $8,739, falling short of their goal by over $91,000.

L O L

Bad blood between Shuck/Derakh and Gordon for various reasons, then they pulled Carlton and Ashburn from the carcass of Deadsy (I met those guys YEARS ago when Deadsy still existed), and now I don't know who they've got.

Anyway, more on PIG now that I've gotten some sleep (and recovered from a terrible day at work where some friends were laid off):
I talked with Z-Marr/Greg a bit about Joe Letz (I saw Combichrist open for Rammstein at the 2011 MSG show), who he says is off doing the rehab thing and trying to get his poo poo together. Sounded like he (Greg) needed to get away from Combichrist for a few reasons but admitted he didn't want to go into it. We talked a bit about keyboards and our love of IAMX and 3TEETH. En Esch is tall and really quiet, but he was a nice dude and funny as well. Raymond is very sweet and even just watching him talk to other people was fun because he's so enthusiastic. The energy from the show was absolutely incredible and he sounded great even though he mentioned his throat was bothering him.

Gonna go give the Second Coming cd a listen now :cool:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
How is Fire & Forget by Funker Vogt one of the best anti war songs ever?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pope Guilty posted:

Has anybody seen this Lord of the Lost band that's playing with KMFDM and Ohgr in October?

I've never seen them live but I really like them, I like a lot of Aggrotech trash though so take that as you will. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMgw1vkd-A

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whispering Machines posted:

I talked with Z-Marr/Greg a bit about Joe Letz (I saw Combichrist open for Rammstein at the 2011 MSG show), who he says is off doing the rehab thing and trying to get his poo poo together. Sounded like he (Greg) needed to get away from Combichrist for a few reasons but admitted he didn't want to go into it. We talked a bit about keyboards and our love of IAMX and 3TEETH. En Esch is tall and really quiet, but he was a nice dude and funny as well. Raymond is very sweet and even just watching him talk to other people was fun because he's so enthusiastic. The energy from the show was absolutely incredible and he sounded great even though he mentioned his throat was bothering him.

Gonna go give the Second Coming cd a listen now :cool:
Nice. Yeah inseparable from PIG is the sheer force of Raymond Watts' personality. It's hilarious and great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynsi98AEX1o

Personally not a Combichrist fan but I can imagine it's a rock n' roll lifestyle that would wear people down.

Anyways. Interesting thing about The Gospel is Mark Thwaite's work on it, and several songs showed up on his album Volumes (under the artist name MGT) with different singers and melodies. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it's worth checking out. Thwaite seems like a pretty obscure figure who has had a career doing guitar work for The Mission, Peter Murphy, et al. Never really heard of him. Watts showed up on one song which didn't make it to The Gospel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NXN4BCZOE

Kinda plodding but it really comes together during the outro which sounds sublime. I imagine if they reworked that for PIG and put En Esch on some of the vocals with some layering, it'd sound killer.

I was also looking into some of Watts' Japanese art-rock stuff with Buck Tick, which I'm guessing is where he picked up the glam-cowboy thing since that style seems very Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_liWBpCkbc

On that note, it used to seem like there was much more world-music influence in industrial years ago than there is now. Eastern Music, Middle Eastern music, etc. Seems like it's faded? Which is a shame if so.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 10, 2017

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Nice. Yeah inseparable from PIG is the sheer force of Raymond Watts' personality. It's hilarious and great.

Personally not a Combichrist fan but I can imagine it's a rock n' roll lifestyle that would wear people down.

I was also looking into some of Watts' Japanese art-rock stuff with Buck Tick, which I'm guessing is where he picked up the glam-cowboy thing since that style seems very Japanese.

On that note, it used to seem like there was much more world-music influence in industrial years ago than there is now. Eastern Music, Middle Eastern music, etc. Seems like it's faded? Which is a shame if so.

He has the type of cheer I would call "infectious." You couldn't *not* smile when he was talking. Sorry I'm fangirling so hard but he was awesome!

I don't listen to Combichrist anymore (except for a few songs at the gym). I always thought Andy was the weakest part of the band; I like their synths and drumming.

I would love any examples of more world-influenced industrial! I love Azam Ali (Iranian) and Irfan (Bulgarian) and similar and it's definitely something I'd like to hear with industrial. I'll check out the links you posted as well- I've heard some of his Japanese glam cowboy stuff but fairly low quality recordings.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Numan's new record seems to at least have a middle eastern theme to it.

I'm trying to think of examples of industrial with 'world music' influences and I'm not having much luck. Really early KMFDM? Maybe some of the FLA side projects?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Delirium and Pandemonium-era Killing Joke are the only ones that come to mind (yeah, I'm stretching the boundaries).

Edit: SPK and maybe Controlled Bleeding and Chris & Cosey, too.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 10, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
!Tch'kung! were basically "If Crass got into world music and Crash Worship" and they ruled hard.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was thinking early KMFDM and early PIG, actually. Something like "Infinite Shame." Foetus and some of the old Wax Trax stuff.

Oh here's some new Latin American industrial ... like 80s Cabaret Voltaire with Latin-style drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiSXxcGDgc

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I'm trying to think of examples of industrial with 'world music' influences and I'm not having much luck. Really early KMFDM? Maybe some of the FLA side projects?

Not all of this is industrial per se:

Hecate's Seven Veils of Silence album. Biblically-influenced breakcore with a strong Middle Eastern vibe.
Enduser's Bollywood Breaks EP or his track Switch. Indian music, chopped up in a breakcore/drum n bass style. 
Tzolk'in and This Morn' Omina do a whole tribal techno thing.

And Ivardensphere obviously. Try the track Kagu-Tsuchi.

There's a couple of EBM bands I've heard with Eastern European folk influences but they're not very good to be honest.

There's also some unique South american industrial with reggae and dancehall influences on Pakapi Records.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you want to go outside the industrial label, Muslimgauze has a bunch of harsh sounding stuff influenced by middle-eastern music.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

If you want to go outside the industrial label, Muslimgauze has a bunch of harsh sounding stuff influenced by middle-eastern music.

How the hell are there still new Muzlimgauze albums coming out?! It's been 18 years or so!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How the hell are there still new Muzlimgauze albums coming out?! It's been 18 years or so!

Maybe he didn't actually die. 'Oh he got a fungal blood infection and died' seems sketchy to me.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
New KMFDM album is up on YouTube.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

oh sure why not, it's been a few hours since I've been disappointed

edit: it loving sucks.

edit edit: that's not a clever KMFDM sucks reference, this album actually is trash. I don't know what they were doing why is there like Reggae chords on 5 of the tracks?

Photex fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 12, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Created a random playlist in Foobar2000 out of all my curated albums. This is all this poo poo that I've ripped and bought digitally, and some that I've downloaded and put into my collection (but probably brought somewhere anyway). Over five weeks of music.

Anyway two takeaways:

1. My taste in music is AWESOME. So many great album tracks coming up.
2. Where did Cesium 137 go?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Photex posted:

edit edit: that's not a clever KMFDM sucks reference, this album actually is trash. I don't know what they were doing why is there like Reggae chords on 5 of the tracks?

Kind of figured that'd be the case considering the single was hot garbage.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

david_a posted:

To The Hilt by Die Krupps was a huge hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Photex posted:

Playing now. This is actually relentlessly terrible and mediocre garbage. It's like they read about the "industrial" sound that was "hip" in the 1990s and decided they'd write something like that. So they wrote an album of sure fire radio hit singles without the bit where you add good tunes or hooks. And did that vocalist really pronounce "chasm" with a "ch" sound instead of a "k"?