Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
They could have made the buttons for AST for PS4 users and left all other ASTs out of it. You can tell the thought didn't even enter their mind because they initially only had the one button.

For SAM, I think it would have been enough to have the three little balls and a number under it for kenki. The giant sword isn't needed. You can shrink it but you shrink the number when you shrink the sword.

Likewise, I don't feel the DRG gauge needed to be as big and gaudy as it is. I'd rather just have a coundown of seconds and number of eyes. I actually really hate the fact that it doesn't number the eyes and relies on the user being familiar with the dumb animation on the left. It's not nearly as intuitive as I think they thought it would be. Which wouldn't have been a problem if geirskogul cooldown wasn't as long as it is but that's a topic for another day.

Anyway, basically I feel most people don't really like their gauges. RDM's do though, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
all of the tank gauges are fine, but that's because all of the tank gauges are just 'a bar that fills up'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The BLM gauge is good, but I wish it tracked your thundercloud procs and that the Foul gem was next to rather than hanging below the curved bar.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

The BLM gauge is good, but I wish it tracked your thundercloud procs and that the Foul gem was next to rather than hanging below the curved bar.

Yeah, I really like the Black Mage gauge and think it's the perfect example of what other jobs should have theirs represent, as far as conveyed job mechanics. Not to say the Black Mage gauge itself is perfect, just that the others are really bad for the most part.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm currently leveling DRK and the gauge is hilariously useless since I don't have the resource yet.

Why yes you have grit on, here's a giant flashing light to remind you to turn it off.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ruta posted:

For SAM, I think it would have been enough to have the three little balls and a number under it for kenki. The giant sword isn't needed. You can shrink it but you shrink the number when you shrink the sword.

I would not have minded seeing numbers overlaid each Sen, counting down how long the buff associated with that Sen has left.

A ring gauge encircling all three Sen with a number in the bottom-middle for Kenki would have rounded it all off.

loving mod API WHEN YOSHI-P?!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Renegret posted:

I'm currently leveling DRK and the gauge is hilariously useless since I don't have the resource yet.

Why yes you have grit on, here's a giant flashing light to remind you to turn it off.

The best thing about class gauges (besides the fact that they hosed up SMN to implement it) is that, for most classes, the information in the class gauge is also shown in the buff bar. However, they made an exception for AST cards, so if you have two ASTs in an eight-person duty, they'll constantly overwrite each others' Expanded Balances with crappier cards. This happened three times in a row in a Syrcus Tower I ran a few days ago. I used Expanded Balance, other AST used Expanded Spear half a second later. Then they used Expanded Balance a minute or so later, and I overwrote it with Expanded Spear or something. :negative:

In other news, I hit the Mini Cactpot earlier and decided to try a science experiment and now I am an octa-horned dragon girl. :iia:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 9, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

all of the tank gauges are fine, but that's because all of the tank gauges are just 'a bar that fills up'

The paladin and dark gauges are useless. There's no point to them other than to just give them a gauge.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The paladin and dark gauges are useless. There's no point to them other than to just give them a gauge.

The only reason you didn't include the WAR gauge there is because they can actually spend less than half of it at once :v:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

they clearly communicate how much of a resource you have. whether or not that resource needs to exist isn't really related to how good the bars are at being bars.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd rather have a meter saying 50/100 than have 5 stacks out of a maximum of 10, though. Like, yeah you could do it like old warrior with a stack system or whatever, but I far prefer the shiny new meters to a microscopic square on my buff bar. Much easier to track on my default-rear end HUD.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The abilities you're able to use light up when you can use them. PLDs abilities really don't matter much. Dark gets more use out of theirs since quietus and bloodspiller own, but even still pretty much useless.

I didn't say anything about war because i haven't played much with it and don't have an opinion as a result.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, i don't really play paladin but i imagine sheltron is not an ability that 'doesn't matter much'

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Yes but you get so much gauge it's wasteful. You don't need Sheltron THAT goddamn much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr. Nice! posted:

The abilities you're able to use light up when you can use them. PLDs abilities really don't matter much. Dark gets more use out of theirs since quietus and bloodspiller own, but even still pretty much useless.

I didn't say anything about war because i haven't played much with it and don't have an opinion as a result.

The Blood bar is a little bit more interesting than it appears at first for DRK. In raid content it just gives you some extra mechanics to plan around: you want to have enough MP to dark arts every Carve and Spit and Bloodspiller, but you also don't want to overflow on blood. Planning accordingly on a fight by fight basis is what makes things interesting.

It's still not super complex but I find it engaging.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, i don't really play paladin but i imagine sheltron is not an ability that 'doesn't matter much'

It's basically always available.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

On the other hand, the only useful part of the drk bar is when it pings to let you know you've got 50 pints of blood ready.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brainamp posted:

On the other hand, the only useful part of the drk bar is when it pings to let you know you've got 50 pints of blood ready.

PLD gets a similar sound effect and all the skills light up. The bar is just there mostly taking up space.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they clearly communicate how much of a resource you have. whether or not that resource needs to exist isn't really related to how good the bars are at being bars.

Also, feel free to windmill your fist into Intervention as soon as it cools down and see if it's Always Ready.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I mean, I see what Mr. Nice is saying. The bars are a bit redundant since the associated skills light up on your bar when they're ready to use. It's not all that much different from the way Shield Swipe works. WAR is a bit different since they want to have more than one fell cleave stocked for a berserk window (I think?), but on DRK you're almost always spending your blood the moment you hit 50. Paladin's meter-spenders are a little bit less impactful than the other two tanks (one could argue for using shelltron as soon as you can for MP), but if you're on the defensive I think it's nice to know exactly how close you are to your next "charge".

That said, I still really like having an evil dark meter of BLACKBLOOD filling up as I do things, so I'm still in camp Meters Are Good, but it's not like I don't see why people wouldn't like them either.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, yeah, but the entire point of the bars is to attempt to minimize the amount of hotkey and buff-bar staring that exists. they haven't unequivocally succeeded in that (it would be better if there was like a way for the brd bar to track dots on a target, for example), but i'd much rather have an eyeball opening on my bar than internally track four mirage dives to remember my nastrond windows

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hey Bards, when I gently caress up and refresh dots without the Straight Shot buff, should I just immediately refresh them or let them tick down? Seems like I should refresh immediately.

(e) or for that matter if I refresh dots immediately before raging strikes was gonna be used. done that a few times too

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 9, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you should always refresh your dots with better dots, unless there's like two ticks left on the lovely dots and your buffs will still be up when the lovely dots fall off

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I could see the bars and the mechanics around them getting changed but I doubt any of them are going away

it'd be weird for like every job to have a gauge except three

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Meanwhile the WHM ping sound from its gauge is there to let you know that you forgot to use your abilities.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Hey Bards, when I gently caress up and refresh dots without the Straight Shot buff, should I just immediately refresh them or let them tick down? Seems like I should refresh immediately.

(e) or for that matter if I refresh dots immediately before raging strikes was gonna be used. done that a few times too

Typically, always refresh when you have a better snapshot opportunity or when you can extend a snapshot further before buffs fall off. When it comes down to a weird situation where you are going to overwrite one with the other, Straight Shot without Raging Strikes is more important than Raging Strikes without Straight Shot, as crit ticks are your life and blood.

Think of Iron Jaws as less of a 100 potency GCD, and more of potentially a 1100 potency GCD when it comes down to resnapshotting. Even if you're refreshing for a single tick to hold you over for buffs, at the minimum its very likely a 200 potency GCD unless your GCD has fallen in a weird position between ticks.

What I'm saying is, never defer your dots falling off over reapplying Straight Shot first if you've messed up. Better to IJ, SS, and IJ again. And always resnapshot on Trick Attack and Chain Strategems, as well as party buffs. And again before they fall off if you can manage.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 9, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rainuwastaken posted:

I mean, I see what Mr. Nice is saying. The bars are a bit redundant since the associated skills light up on your bar when they're ready to use. It's not all that much different from the way Shield Swipe works. WAR is a bit different since they want to have more than one fell cleave stocked for a berserk window (I think?), but on DRK you're almost always spending your blood the moment you hit 50. Paladin's meter-spenders are a little bit less impactful than the other two tanks (one could argue for using shelltron as soon as you can for MP), but if you're on the defensive I think it's nice to know exactly how close you are to your next "charge".

That said, I still really like having an evil dark meter of BLACKBLOOD filling up as I do things, so I'm still in camp Meters Are Good, but it's not like I don't see why people wouldn't like them either.

WAR is also a bit different in that they have more options than 'spend half the meter to use an ability' which makes the information that the bar conveys for them more meaningful. DRK also has to watch their mana but for PLD it's pretty sparse and while Sheltron is pretty much always up when you need it sometimes it's not and sometimes you don't need it and it's annoying.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skaw posted:

Typically, always refresh when you have a better snapshot opportunity or when you can extend a snapshot further before buffs fall off. When it comes down to a weird situation where you are going to overwrite one with the other, Straight Shot without Raging Strikes is more important than Raging Strikes without Straight Shot, as crit ticks are your life and blood.

Think of Iron Jaws as less of a 100 potency GCD, and more of potentially a 1100 potency GCD when it comes down to resnapshotting. Even if you're refreshing for a single tick to hold you over for buffs, at the minimum its very likely a 200 potency GCD unless your GCD has fallen in a weird position between ticks.

What I'm saying is, never defer your dots falling off over reapplying Straight Shot first if you've messed up. Better to IJ, SS, and IJ again. And always resnapshot on Trick Attack and Chain Strategems, as well as party buffs. And again before they fall off if you can manage.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be more proactive about IJing new buffs on from now on. But aren't TA and CS enemy debuffs and therefore the DOTs are dynamically updated?

(While I'm here, DOTs applied during a repertiored-up paeon DO do more damage overall, right?)

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll be more proactive about IJing new buffs on from now on. But aren't TA and CS enemy debuffs and therefore the DOTs are dynamically updated?

(While I'm here, DOTs applied during a repertiored-up paeon DO do more damage overall, right?)

I don't believe so, since it's not an increase to your Skill Speed stat, just a reduction in your delays. I could be wrong about this though.

Just checked and my lowest valued ticks didn't budge between 0 and 4 repertoire.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 10, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Even then Skill Speed just reduces your GCD. This isn't like WoW where haste affects dot ticks, here dots tick on the server clock no matter how much SS you have. The only thing that dynamically updates them is if vuln up/down is on the boss.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even then Skill Speed just reduces your GCD. This isn't like WoW where haste affects dot ticks, here dots tick on the server clock no matter how much SS you have. The only thing that dynamically updates them is if vuln up/down is on the boss.

Skill Speed affects DoT damage since HW, and Auto Attack damage since 4.0. I mean not exactly enough to build around it, but it does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

At least our static doesn't have a Scholar, so I don't have to worry about whether Chain Strategem snapshots for new DOTs or dynamically updates all DOTs on the victim.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

At least our static doesn't have a Scholar, so I don't have to worry about whether Chain Strategem snapshots for new DOTs or dynamically updates all DOTs on the victim.
In case you do ever get a SCH, it snapshots. So if you're a BRD you wanna make sure you get an Iron Jaws in while Chain Strategem is up so you can benefit from that extra crit significantly longer.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
How do dot crits work, then? Does every tick have a crit chance, or is it all or nothing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Smart Car posted:

In case you do ever get a SCH, it snapshots. So if you're a BRD you wanna make sure you get an Iron Jaws in while Chain Strategem is up so you can benefit from that extra crit significantly longer.

Warghabl this game is so inconsistent sometimes. CS snapshots but Vuln Up/Down doesn't? What about Foe's? What other boss (de)buffs are there that may or may not snapshot?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

How do dot crits work, then? Does every tick have a crit chance, or is it all or nothing?

Each dot tick has an individual chance to crit that is snapshotted.

Ciaphas posted:

Warghabl this game is so inconsistent sometimes. CS snapshots but Vuln Up/Down doesn't? What about Foe's? What other boss (de)buffs are there that may or may not snapshot?

Pretty sure it all snapshots.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It does snapshot for vuln. Chain strtategem increases crit rate, which drastically increases your ability to do extra BRD stuff when your dots crit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenik posted:

It does snapshot for vuln. Chain strtategem increases crit rate, which drastically increases your ability to do extra BRD stuff when your dots crit.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only thing that dynamically updates them is if vuln up/down is on the boss.

Which is it?! :tizzy:

Maybe tonight I'll just borrow a bored NIN and try to watch DoT ticks under varying conditions on a dummy or something.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I finished the 2.x Hildibrand quests. What a ride. What an adventure. 100% worth it for the trials and emotes and the conclusion.
Why were these like 100% better directed than any other cutscene in the game?

I also was told that the Postmoogle quests were good but even after doing one of the 'good' ones (Longhaft) I was still just ehhhh so I guess I'll leave those alone.
Still refusing to do the Relic Reborn and Crystal Tower stuff too because ehhhh it's just a timesink of Fates and I already have an Augmented Ironworks Axe.

--
Then later I tried doing Titan Extreme but caused multiple wipes because I didn't realise that after Geocrush I could pull him back to an edge. Somehow it didn't occur to me. Sorry pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Legacy of Allag is kind of a pain but its just 4 fates, shouldn't take more than an hour or maybe two, and Crystal Tower is totally worth it IMO. Best tip is just put on a movie or something and grab a friend to help you camp both zones simultaneously and clear out any other fates in the area that might be blocking them. Chances are pretty good that it'll pop quickly if there's space.

If there's gonna be a CT group this Sunday like it sounds like there might be, any newbies should make sure they get allag out of the way ahead of time if they haven't.