Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Fishing aside y'all think polarized lenses are worth it for everyday use?

I like them for driving, but I can't say the last time I wore non polarized lenses, so take it with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Last time I wore polarized lenses was in Afghanistan and then the 1sgt told me I couldn't wear them because...?

I'm not much of a sunglasses wearer though. I wore some on my cruise for a bit but other than that I haven't in the last several years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Polarized glasses aren't always mirrored, so yes.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I notice that I get less eye strain long distance driving with polarized lenses.

That's all I've noticed though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
When I was working delivery and driving all day I wore yellow glasses that looked like science class safety glasses but drat if they didn't make a huge difference.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Fishing aside y'all think polarized lenses are worth it for everyday use?

They're not at a huge cost premium so yes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Stultus Maximus posted:

They're not at a huge cost premium so yes.

Yeah I suppose not like ten years ago when it doubled the price. I haven't shopped for glasses in a while. Big fan of the Oakley Frogskins

I mean you can get some cheap polarized glasses at the fishing store etc but then you also look like an off-duty cop or Marine on libbo

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 10, 2017

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only buy polarized anymore and you can absolutely get some usable ones for like 20 bucks on Amazon

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not fashionable but even I care about not looking like a complete dweeb outside of being on a bike

I'll spend the extra $30-50

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Absolutely yes. Polarized lenses cut down on so much glare, though they makes some LCD screens unreadable.

And as others have pointed out, polarized lenses aren't always mirrored.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

McNally posted:

Absolutely yes. Polarized lenses cut down on so much glare, though they makes some LCD screens unreadable.

Is it the rainbow effect? Some motorcycle shields get it real bad with polarized lenses.

But yeah I agree mirrored lenses are just too douchey

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is it the rainbow effect? Some motorcycle shields get it real bad with polarized lenses.

But yeah I agree mirrored lenses are just too douchey

I get rainbow effect on LCD screens (like gas pumps and my car's radio display), my last pair of polarized sunglasses just made the screens unreadable. I think it has to do with the angle the lenses are set in the frames. I used to know more about how this poo poo worked because I worked for an optometrist, but it's been so long it's all fallen out of my head.

But yeah, the rainbow effect is caused by the polarization of the lenses.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Speaking of gas pumps, this is a fantastic life hack worth sharing

"Hi, welcome to Shell, it's good to see you"

:argh:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Life hack? The Sunoco station I usually fill up at has that button clearly labeled as "mute".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I suppose not like ten years ago when it doubled the price. I haven't shopped for glasses in a while. Big fan of the Oakley Frogskins

Not gonna poo poo on ya for liking/owning Oakleys. I never cared for them enough to buy any. But god loving help you if you want replacement lenses and don't want to shell out stupid money for it. Luxotica bought them after running them out of their stores (almost all sunglass stores) and crushing their sales so they could snag it up for pennies. Now your replacement lenses are double what they were before, or ten bucks cheaper than a new pair altogether.

Buy them if you like them. I just can't justify the cost difference between Oakleys and Wiley Xs to buy them. My Wileys have held up for years of abuse and replacement lenses are $20-30 for my Romers. And Wiley X is still independently owned.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The military blew millions on Wileys and most people I know never really wore them because they didn't fit right.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I liked Oakleys until they stopped offering their dark lenses through usstandardissue.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm a wayfarer boy, but I don't get raybands because im not made of money. gotta get my money to get dat Mossberg.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bought mine used for $250. drat good gun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've had my ray-bans for 6 years at this point. Sat on 'em 2 years ago and they haven't been the same since.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

I'm a wayfarer boy, but I don't get raybands because im not made of money. gotta get my money to get dat Mossberg.

You're the kid with the Sompsons backpack who asked kids if they wanted to play Sanic the Mammal after school while eating store brand cheese snacks

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I've had my ray-bans for 6 years at this point. Sat on 'em 2 years ago and they haven't been the same since.

Which is why I don't shell out for ray-bans. Love the style, don't want $150+ of something I'll accidentally break.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tastefully arranged labia posted:

You're the kid with the Sompsons backpack who asked kids if they wanted to play Sanic the Mammal after school while eating store brand cheese snacks

he's dead, jim

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Casimir Radon posted:

The military blew millions on Wileys and most people I know never really wore them because they didn't fit right.

The true supply dicks knew to find Romer 2s under class 9 in 2005 or so.

The issue ones with the strap are supposed to be swd lite but are hot garbage without the strap, and still suck.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is why I don't shell out for ray-bans. Love the style, don't want $150+ of something I'll accidentally break.

Idk man, I've had one pair of wayfarers for like 6 years and I paid $70 for them on Amazon. Don't buy from like sunglass hit or whatever.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

this is one weird burn

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my current pair of sunglasses i paid 6 bucks for because who gives a poo poo who made em if they keep you from being blinded?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My sunglasses cost me $$$ because my vision is terrible but I still like having strong, polarized lenses that won't easily scratch or shatter. :toot:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

my current pair of sunglasses i paid 6 bucks for because who gives a poo poo who made em if they keep you from being blinded?
I bought a pair of cheapo drug store glasses for work, and they split in half a week later.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mad Dragon posted:

I bought a pair of cheapo drug store glasses for work, and they split in half a week later.

My $10 Target sunglasses look okay but after a month one hinge is about to snap.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I spent the money thinking "if I spend this much on sunglasses I'll never lose them!"

and it worked, until I tossed my sunglasses on the chair of my car thinking "there's no way I'll forget they're there"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

my current pair is 475 days old today. thats 1.4 cents per day and dropping. sorry for your loss?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
My Oakley Half Jackets have been through some poo poo. I forget what scratched the polarized coating on the lenses up initially, but once that happened I started giving less of a poo poo about babying them in a hard case. They've been tossed in my gym bag in the middle of or under a ton of poo poo, in backpacks with textbooks, sat on more times than I'd like to admit, etc. The worst that ever happens is the arms get popped off which takes 2 seconds to snap back in, same with the lenses.

But yeah, $100 replacement for the baller polarized lenses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I break/lose sunglasses too often to justify buying expensive ones so I always get the $10-20 polarized shits you can get at any pharmacy or gas station. You have to check and make sure the polarization is in the right direction, but otherwise they're decent enough and I don't shed a tear if I smash them.

Back when I was active they had some sweet rear end $30 fossils I loved at the exchange.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'm on my 3rd pair of raybans predators since 96.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't lose poo poo. Aside from dumb poo poo like the remote under a cat. Losing sunglasses doesn't happen. But I do drop poo poo all the time, which is all the more testament to Wileys quality, because I'm clumsy as gently caress. Last pair I bought 4 years ago was $80~.

The previous pair was army bought and are still in good condition.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mao is pretty pissed at me. I noticed she had a dried up dingleberry lodged just far enough in her few to be a PITA. So I kind of hold her with my upper arm while holding the dingleberry with a paper towel and scissors in the other hand to cut off a bit of fur. She wouldn't have any of it, and bolted off leaving me with the dingleberry and a bunch of fur she ripped out in her escape. Mission successful I guess. Pictured, one angry cat:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that cat looks pretty pissed.

Probably hiding your remote too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mao is pretty pissed at me. I noticed she had a dried up dingleberry lodged just far enough in her few to be a PITA. So I kind of hold her with my upper arm while holding the dingleberry with a paper towel and scissors in the other hand to cut off a bit of fur. She wouldn't have any of it, and bolted off leaving me with the dingleberry and a bunch of fur she ripped out in her escape. Mission successful I guess. Pictured, one angry cat:

Long hair cat owner solidarity. We have a really tiny pair of scissors (wife calls them cuticle scissors like I'm supposed to know what that means) and they really help with this. Also making it a two-person lightly armored job but if that isn't your default condition in dealing with an unhappy cat you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Long hair cat owner solidarity. We have a really tiny pair of scissors (wife calls them cuticle scissors like I'm supposed to know what that means) and they really help with this. Also making it a two-person lightly armored job but if that isn't your default condition in dealing with an unhappy cat you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I cut her nails, brush out mats, and bathe her solo. She fusses at these chores but lies back and thinks of england after a minute. Just this time she got dumb and bolted while I had a grip on her poo butt. All is forgiven now, she doesn't bear grudges.

• Locked thread