Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

This is clearly an oblique reference at obesity It's a spare tyre you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You guys know that "reality shows" like Kitchen Nightmares and poo poo like that are dumb scripted bullshit, right?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys know that "reality shows" like Kitchen Nightmares and poo poo like that are dumb scripted bullshit, right?

:iamafag:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

polishthunder84 posted:

the master race, indeed.

Preacher_you_wheres_your_chin.jpg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Actually I have to admit that was rather entertaining.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BiggerBoat posted:

The drama absolutely is. I just like the yelling.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I've seen the episode and it's obvious that the son is genuinely upset about how lovely his father is.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm sure parts of those shows are scripted, but not everything. A place near me was on Restaurant Impossible a while back, and the owner's main problem is that he was a lush and drank away all his money. This is in a small town, so it wasn't exactly a secret to everybody living here, but when it came up on the show it was played as a big surprise. As I recall, Irvine had the guy play some dumb card-themed game (I think he was a gambling addict too?) to show how his drinking was a problem, and he had a "breakthrough" and decided to stop. Naturally, the business went under a few months after the episode aired.

The funniest part was that Irvine refused to try any food, since the refrigeration was busted. The owner was real pissed about that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I believe every last second of Amy's Baking Company.
Their Yelp page was a masterpiece before and ESPECIALLY after.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SquirrelFace posted:

That uncomfortable moment when you realize goons are in the same niche Facebook groups as you....could honestly fill this thread with some of the poo poo those ladies post...

:justpost:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

If by make do they mean having to fish a mile of corn silk threads out of their cunts I'm gonna give this round to city girls.

I ain't gonna look for it, but somewhere there is a crude drawing of a girl minion loving itself with an ear of corn.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

gently caress corn, so what

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Country girls wear condoms over their corncobs when they gently caress them.

There's good eating on one of those.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

If by make do they mean having to fish a mile of corn silk threads out of their cunts I'm gonna give this round to city girls.

Do you leave the silk on before cooking too?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

I'm sure parts of those shows are scripted, but not everything. A place near me was on Restaurant Impossible a while back, and the owner's main problem is that he was a lush and drank away all his money. This is in a small town, so it wasn't exactly a secret to everybody living here, but when it came up on the show it was played as a big surprise. As I recall, Irvine had the guy play some dumb card-themed game (I think he was a gambling addict too?) to show how his drinking was a problem, and he had a "breakthrough" and decided to stop. Naturally, the business went under a few months after the episode aired.

The funniest part was that Irvine refused to try any food, since the refrigeration was busted. The owner was real pissed about that.

Yeah Restaurant Impossible is the low budget knockoff of Kitchen Nightmares. I'd be surprised if anything on that show was real. They even managed to hire a host who was a complete fraud lying about being a world class chef.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Most ob-doc shows are usually heavily directed rather than scripted. A rough outline of where the episode can go is made in pre to get started.

For Ramsay type shows scenarios are setup to have some sense of structure and something to follow. 80% is pretty accurate with a bit of direction thrown in to get things moving.

Often retakes of good moments are requested, usually asking for a shorter take on a long winded question. Ramsay is playing a role really.

Fly on wall stuff is very hard to do well as day to day life usually isn't that interesting. Most of the "scripting" is done in post with a ton of editing sound bites to exaggerate moments.

Reality cooking, renovation, dating etc is controlled to a T.
Hosts have earpieces with a director throwing in commands. Retakes galore, tons of keeping participants locked into a bubble.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I wish they wouldn't overdo it so much. The music in the American version is a great example. How is that steak going?.... DUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNdundundundooo day, duhDuH, DUUUUUHHHHHH...... ITS loving RAW!. DOODLYdoodahdunbahbuh. But it's ok cause I got a good recipe for you and a new chair for the dining room... Teedlyweedlyeedly deedledee dah deedledee.. ping.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CollegeCop posted:

Most dildos are dishwasher safe!

Goddamnit, that machine is clearly not hooked up to anything.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Groke posted:

That's an exhibit in an art gallery

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Testekill posted:

That's an exhibit in an art gallery

That's no excuse not to keep the dldoes clean.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I ain't gonna look for it, but somewhere there is a crude drawing of a girl minion loving itself with an ear of corn.

AUG Thread: having to fish a mile of corn silk threads out of their cunts

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

WebDog posted:

Most ob-doc shows are usually heavily directed rather than scripted. A rough outline of where the episode can go is made in pre to get started.

For Ramsay type shows scenarios are setup to have some sense of structure and something to follow. 80% is pretty accurate with a bit of direction thrown in to get things moving.

Often retakes of good moments are requested, usually asking for a shorter take on a long winded question. Ramsay is playing a role really.

Fly on wall stuff is very hard to do well as day to day life usually isn't that interesting. Most of the "scripting" is done in post with a ton of editing sound bites to exaggerate moments.

Reality cooking, renovation, dating etc is controlled to a T.
Hosts have earpieces with a director throwing in commands. Retakes galore, tons of keeping participants locked into a bubble.

Great posting as always, WebDog.

There's a really good Cracked article by Seanbaby on how reality shows are generally made and it's much more about pushing reality in the right direction and clever editing than it is about acting or being scripted. For example when the Jersey Shore kids are freaking out over a skunk in the house their reactions aren't scripted but the fact that some poor production assistant had to release that skunk in the house was. The other common thing is reaction shots are usually cut from other conversations so when A tells a joke you can paste in either a laughing B or a grimacing B depending on how you want that interaction to appear to the viewer. Another example he gives is of narratives and villains appearing in reality shows and how they normally work backwards. I think he uses a girl freaking out on The Bachelor, the editing team then go back through all their footage so they can cast that person in the worst possible light in the episodes leading up to the big freakout allowing them to have a "villain". It's really interesting.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secrets-making-reality-tv-they-dont-want-you-to-know/

Charlie Brooker has a great short video on how it's done with examples that'll make you realise how rampant it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwepkVurCI

So when someone tells you it's all scripted you can now respond with a very smug "actually that's not really right"

e: and the Amy's Bakery episode is a great example of when production has to do very little.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Aug 10, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well it's just not scripted beforehand. Like how large building projects have blueprints that are largely drawn up once the engineers see how the workers actually built the drat thing.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Dear God that article was painful to read. He's not wrong in general but the amount of unfunny pointless fluff you have to sift through.

Having worked in the field the reality genre is usually termed "factual entertainment".

Meaning while there may be a factual element, i.e fly on the wall in a hoarders house, the entertainment part is why exaggerated drama goes on.

It's a modern day soap opera at best for most of these shows.
We cast for characters not everyday people.
And yes that does mean a ton of distortion to dress up things. I.e get the bogan looking guy to tick the stereotype boxes on the dating show, then wow she falls for him!

It's why on more realistic shows you're going to see the guy caught driving naked on Highway Patrol or the best of Frankston over the guy in a suit being caught doing 55 in a 50 and calmly taking the ticket. You want excitement.

We also know people long for 15 minutes of fame so there is a ton of weeding out in casting as people will think they can game the show from binge watching seven series.
Not to say you don't keep the bad auditions for the sheer awkward factor.

Also we do pair opposites or people with similar backgrounds, i.e a hoarder and cleaner both have bereavement issues that caused them to hoard and clean respectively..

Granted the format has been used to make a point. Such as Blood Sweat and T-shirts where a bunch of kids go into the dark side of where their clothing comes from.

But some coaching is done in this case as it's quasi-investigating so the subjects have to be asking key questions or get prompted to ask the poor homeless guy about how he got into his situation.

Also we have researched the homeless person beforehand so you know roughly what their stories are to write an episode outline about.

The hard part is cutting a half hour on the spot interview that is genuinely touching into minutes of soundbite that is still tugging heartstrings.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Have you done an Ask thread about this? Cause I feel like maybe you should.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
:stare:

I'm genuinely curious who thought this was acceptable.Printed on the rear end flap of her pajamas is "don't open 'til Christmas"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm genuinely curious who thought this was acceptable.Printed on the rear end flap of her pajamas is "don't open 'til Christmas"

Aatrek

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:boom:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

hahaha

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Groke posted:

I googled "dildos in dishwasher".

There were more results than I expected.

So I randomly picked one.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zipperelli. posted:

first the walmart be a school shooting hero display and now this, lol.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Have you done an Ask thread about this? Cause I feel like maybe you should.

I'm going to second that.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Zipperelli. posted:

Also, I would like to congratulate Zipperelli on what I think is the most truly awful thing in this thread. It is not necessarily gross or awkward. It is simply awful. Platonic awful. Good job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cash crab posted:

Also, I would like to congratulate Zipperelli on what I think is the most truly awful thing in this thread. It is not necessarily gross or awkward. It is simply awful. Platonic awful. Good job.

Yeah, I think we can retire the category.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Zipperelli. posted:

What the gently caress Heather?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

first the walmart be a school shooting hero display and now this, lol.

I hate to defend Walmart, but I half expect that to be revealed to be the work of a prankster or even the photographer him/herself

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I'd hate to not be able to take a dump until Christmas.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh you can take a dump...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
open the flood gates!

• Locked thread