Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I guess I should point out that YOSHI-HASHI and Okada were young boys together, and had a friendly rivalry at the start of their career. They tagged together to get their first ever pro wrestling win (in Riki Pro) and YOSHI-HASHI's first ever win in NJPW was pinning Okada in a six man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I like to pretend YOSHI HASHI is illiterate because his gimmick makes much more sense that way. He's the big idiot you've covered for your entire life cuz he's a nice guy and means well.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
He has a doofus face that's perfectly framed by his dumb hair

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yoshi-Hashi always looks really scared and unsure at the start of a match IMO, and it contributes a long way to the feeling that he doesn't belong. I wasn't watching (and didn't know about) when he was Okada's little protege but I still got that same impression just from his body language and facial expressions. It does make it a little more exciting when he starts building up offense.

I think Naito had a line about how he's a good wrestler but needs to get off his rear end because 35 is pretty old to act like an underdog

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Takuan posted:

He's gotten better over the past 2 years, but the thing about his "younger brother trying to find his place" character is that he's 35 years old. So now he's more like a guy that took a year off between high school and college to 'figure out what he really wants to do' and now he's in his mid-30s, working minimum-wage jobs while his colleagues all built careers, but this year he's finally gonna get himself together.

this goes with my entire theory that yoshi-hashi is a every drug dealing side character from early 2000's comedies smashed into one underachieving, but in a bad way, wrestler, because of the hair/chin beard combo alone. but i do remember getting excited when he got pissed off as heck to lead to his NEVER title shot and trying to take on suzuki-gun by himself

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yoshi-Hashi feels very much like CHAOS Yujiro though he was really good against Suzuki in a Never defense

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

I watched the top 3 matches on each card and uh, the only match that had juniors had KUSHIDA lose in 2 minutes.

Bunch of great heavyweight and openweight matches between heavyweights though!

Ahhhhhhhhh, thanks for clearing that up. So you make brash statements about things you haven't seen?

Then put them in your avatar?

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

checksin posted:

has kushida been on this tour at all
i completely forgot he was junior champion

I think he's been doing shows with ROH as their TV champ

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hashi is cool because when I first started watching NJPW he didn't even feel like he was CHAOS's bottom rung he was just the guy who existed to lose in multi-mans. Like, he didn't feel like an actual character or wrestler just a device to protect more important people in tags. Then all of a sudden with the departures last year he started getting real matches, and they were good! And then he even started picking up some wins, occasionally over important wrestlers. They weren't super notable like say, Juice's upset wins have been, and he didn't really have a losing streak gimmick or anything like that but I thought it was pretty cool how in the wake of people leaving NJPW was able to make a guy I thought around Captain New Japan's level into someone who had matches I enjoyed and was a legitimate contender in fights with most of the card. (Something similar happened with Tama Tonga but I think Yoshi-Hashi had a more impressive performance)

I mean he's still probably among the weakest wrestlers in this year's G1, and I couldn't tell you what his character is beyond the lowest ranking guy in Chaos, but he's pretty alright and I generally enjoy his matches. And any victory he gets i'll probably cheer because I still find it sorta surprising to even see him in the tournament.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

tbh I think YOSHI-HASHI has actually regressed in this G1. Or maybe the initial shine has just worn off. Nothing he has done has shown he's capable of working above the occasional doomed NEVER challenger level.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Do you think the A block could end with Ibushi as the winner? Naito and Tanahashi go to a draw and Ibushi wins his match. Then we get Ibushi vs Omega/Okada

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SalTheBard posted:

Do you think the A block could end with Ibushi as the winner? Naito and Tanahashi go to a draw and Ibushi wins his match. Then we get Ibushi vs Omega/Okada

he's eliminated at 10 points while tana and naito have 12, a draw would leave both at 13.

everyone's saying omega/ibushi would be a sick co-main for naito/okada at WK and it's the logical place for it to happen.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

he's eliminated at 10 points while tana and naito have 12, a draw would leave both at 13.

everyone's saying omega/ibushi would be a sick co-main for naito/okada at WK and it's the logical place for it to happen.

i feel like that'll be the plan and then someone will tell Ibushi he can put a roman candle in his crotch and light a smoke bomb in his rear end and pretend he's a cannon for a match, and he'll wander away

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thrifting Day! posted:

Ahhhhhhhhh, thanks for clearing that up. So you make brash statements about things you haven't seen?

Then put them in your avatar?

I said that NJPW focuses more attention on heavyweights and only exclusively focuses on the juniors during the month and a half of the super junior tournaments.

Apparently that isn't the case in a company that basically has 4 heavyweight division belts and a fifth belt that heavyweights only win, compared to the 2 belts for juniors.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Jr's will always be second class citizens in this company unless they hold a press conference or promo stating they are Heavyweight now

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Big Boys Reign Supreme. Deal with it, manlets!

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

I said that NJPW focuses more attention on heavyweights and only exclusively focuses on the juniors during the month and a half of the super junior tournaments.

No you didn't.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Well I didn't mention the tournaments specifically because I thought it was self evident that I was referring to the tag tournament and BOSJ.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
its been like... two days since a g1.

i feel like im stranded in the desert

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lariatooo twitter account is tweeting out fansubbed gifs fron yano's third dvd

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/772774596894392320

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

cams posted:

lariatooo twitter account is tweeting out fansubbed gifs fron yano's third dvd

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/772774596894392320

That reminds me of Liger trying to pin the faces after a night out partying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gS2nSn42Ag

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Honma's voice legit brings back bad memories of KOTOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsprwPMkvXA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

St Evan Echoes posted:

Honma's voice legit brings back bad memories of KOTOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsprwPMkvXA

This is loving great :)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can I get an estimate on what time is Omega/Okada gonna air EST?

Oh gently caress, there's a G1 thread should I have asked this there. :ohdear:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VJeff posted:

Can I get an estimate on what time is Omega/Okada gonna air EST?

Oh gently caress, there's a G1 thread should I have asked this there. :ohdear:
Show starts at 5:30, I would expect the main event to start about 2-2.5 hours into the show

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://twitter.com/151012EVIL/status/895339131261210624

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daryl

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Naito's fist bump to Daryl genuinely put a huge smile on my face.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Why did hangman get the tag title shot with Cody? Why isn't Scott norton on the BC???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/896670314783850496

Now THAT is a scoop :hellyeah:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:daryl: is back and the world got a little brighter again

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I still think they dropped the ball by not having a Hiromu/Fale singles here, even if it was five minutes of Hiromu flinging himself at Fale and getting tossed like a ragdoll before eating a pin. He needed to try and get some justice for his friend against that fiend Fale.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

getting shibata and Daryl back in the same night was too much for me to handle

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

KoPW is going to be incredible from top to bottom.

Potentially:
Taguchi Japan Vs Bucks
KES vs GOD Vs War Machine
Elgin Vs Omega
ZSJ Vs Tanahashi
Okada Vs ??

Then you have Takahashi, KUSHIDA, Naito without a match that jumps out from the top of my head. The road to shows will clear that up. But gently caress me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ishii beat Naito in the G1, so I assume he'll be challenging for the briefcase at KOPW.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Thrifting Day! posted:

Potentially:
Taguchi Japan Vs Bucks
Elgin Vs Omega
ZSJ Vs Tanahashi
Okada Vs ??

Then you have Takahashi, KUSHIDA, Naito without a match that jumps out from the top of my head. The road to shows will clear that up. But gently caress me.

Juice/Omega, the juice man earned that shot

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I Before E posted:

Juice/Omega, the juice man earned that shot

Yeah that's certainly a viable option. Probably makes more sense as I'm not sure Elgin could take another loss at this point in time.

Assuming Kenny is holding the US until WK.

Another option is Juice Vs Suzuki for the NEVER

Have a feeling it'll be Okada Vs Kojima or Nagata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thrifting Day! posted:

Potentially:
Taguchi Japan Vs Bucks
Elgin Vs Omega
ZSJ Vs Tanahashi
Okada Vs ??

I think some of these will be happening on the Destruction Tour. Elgin vs Suzuki seems pretty likely too.

• Locked thread