Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ho Lee poo poo!! :thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Drunk Theory posted:

Well, it should be fairly easy to avoid then, since it doesn't exist. Nor has anyone said that "system" is included in 3.0.

Dodged a space bullet on that one friends.

As the backers get continually trolled.

"Lets talk about this trade agreement!" (No trade exists in the game)

"Lets sell this ship!" X500 (no ship doesn't exist either)

"Lets look at the character creator!" (Only one chat on the game, bald man)

"Look at female characters!" (See above)

"Lets get to loading all this cargo and how to do it!" (No cargo, no trade exists)

I know the backers don't like goons, but if they ever stopped and looked at what CIG is telling them, all these awesome things they can't do, they might get upset.

Also it's not just sometimes, but it almost constantly that CIG is literally griefing then with the unseeable and untouchable.

<3 G0rf

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Operation tomorrow, pain killers kicking in, desire to edit posts fading

Good luck with your deskeletonization commando o8

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I like your new avatar, the fez suits you.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I watched about five seconds of one of those streamers and he was creaming himself over the Tumbril- "this will be like Planetside 2 but Star Citizen!!"

1. Why not just play Planetside 2?

2. Why does anything from that game have to be Star Citizen for you to validate it as fun or a cool idea?

I'll wait.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

You need to tweet your avatar.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nicholas posted:

tbf, getting a job in the games industry is really hard; especially if you've never had one before. if i were just coming out of college with a poo poo load of debt it'd take a job there just for the experience.

And thus I wouldn't feel the least bit sorry for you. You're getting not only money, but valuable resume stuffs.

Let's be honest here guys. If you work for a software company, every day is a swirling toilet of chaos, where no one knows what the hell is going on or what fresh new hell tomorrow has in store. You're gonna be frustrated, confused, convinced that management is incompetent, and generally curious about your own sanity on a daily basis. Nothing new on that front, it's literally the same everywhere.

There are only two essential questions that should matter:
1. Do you enjoy the work
2. Is your company is actively scamming retards

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So are any backers yet noticing the slow shift from "space game with space ships" they probably originally backed for to "generic FPS game"?

I know it's the logical avenue since they're using CryEngine and it sort of does this kind of thing out of the box, but it's not what anybody wanted. :j:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

So are any backers yet noticing the slow shift from "space game with space ships" they probably originally backed for to "generic FPS game"?

No, instead they have taken up positions like 5 year olds do in arguments and are now defending these positions at all costs

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 10, 2017

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

As the backers get continually trolled.

"Lets talk about this trade agreement!" (No trade exists in the game)

"Lets sell this ship!" X500 (no ship doesn't exist either)

"Lets look at the character creator!" (Only one chat on the game, bald man)

"Look at female characters!" (See above)

"Lets get to loading all this cargo and how to do it!" (No cargo, no trade exists)

I know the backers don't like goons, but if they ever stopped and looked at what CIG is telling them, all these awesome things they can't do, they might get upset.

Also it's not just sometimes, but it almost constantly that CIG is literally griefing then with the unseeable and untouchable.

<3 G0rf

The best part for me is that CIG has no plans for these mechanics. Chris Roberts thinks, quite literally, that if you create the art assets for a mechanic (such as an asteroid, a mining ship, pretty mining lasers, and cargo, and grabby hands) then automatically, mining mechanics will automatically come about from those elements.

You see, in real life, mining exists and didn't have to be coded. Because the ore exists, and physics exists, and chemistry exists, then mining is a thing humans learned and can do. The same reasoning can be applied to everything in the universe - this is why there's farming, architecture, mechanics, art, botany, medicine, and infinite other topics, none of which needed special handling - they came from the base elements and physical laws that make up the universe.

In Chris Roberts' mind, if he creates enough art assets with enough fidelity, his game will take on the real-life traits and all the necessary mechanics will simply exist in his game. He does not believe you need to create a game, or design a game, or code a game - the game will arise from the fidelity of its assets!

Chris Roberts believes that this is how game development works.

Get a refund.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Get a refund.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I watched about five seconds of one of those streamers and he was creaming himself over the Tumbril- "this will be like Planetside 2 but Star Citizen!!"

Since Sony cut it loose, it's become a hack-fest loot box-a-rama?

Toops posted:

2. Is your company is actively scamming retards

Dunno; I'd say yes, but I get the Verizon account for free.

peter gabriel posted:

No, instead they have taken up positions like 5 year olds do in arguments and are now defending these positions at all costs

no, u.

Scruffpuff posted:

Get a refund.

...or stick around to be named as a plaintiff.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

Glorious Stimpire Wishes for a succesfl operation, a speedy recovery, a comfy wank-pod to rest in, and you don't clip through the bed.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hav posted:

Since Sony cut it loose, it's become a hack-fest loot box-a-rama?

The question is if that's what you want, why get it elsewhere?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

Glorious Stimpire Wishes for a succesfl operation, a speedy recovery, a comfy wank-pod to rest in, and you don't clip through the bed.

I think all of us are hoping he doesn't have ovaries. :ohdear:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Hopper posted:

I am the lovely quality flat texture on the rock next to a 1.5 billion polygon spaceman who looks like a biker with a spine guard.

Zelda OoT rocks lol

Sandis twitter pic reminds me of a frog when it's all scrunched down on my phone screen

Was a lower reS cover photo possible? How can a market guru be so bad at marketing themselves

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 10, 2017

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

cool new Polack jokes posted:

2. Why does anything from that game have to be Star Citizen for you to validate it as fun or a cool idea?

I'll wait.

Because Star Citizen is a 100% invalid, nonexistent IP with not only no original ideas, but in fact no ideas at all. It has no legitimate maps, lore, ships, planets, space stations, moons, asteroids, NPCs, storyline, or - interestingly enough - stars. There's the generic bullshit "lore" that Chris shat out, but it's 100% worthless because it came from Chris Roberts.

Therefore, since Star Citizen does not exist, the insane backers have to jam every legitimate experience into Star Citizen's "universe" in a bid to legitimize it. It's probably the part of this shitshow where the backers are lying to themselves the most - the fact that this anal-leakage of a "universe" was ever a valid setting for a game, or for anything else.

EQNext had the same bullshit - "fan stories" in their super creative world that didn't exist then, doesn't exist now, and was in fact cancelled and thus will never exist.

It's also a very transparent attempt to casually bring up Star Citizen out of context in the hopes someone will say "Star Citizen, what's that?" and then they can try to trick someone else into the scam.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still dont get how "network" has been done in their schedule for a while yet they cant even get more than 11 people into the game without it blowing up everywhere. Its like the network team just raised their arms and said "We done, it aint our fault you fuckers keep adding poo poo that needs to be tracked by all the clients in the instance OK?"

Also moma is cranky because it sure as hell doesn't looks like the avocado is going to be out tomorrow. Is the avocado going to be out tomorrow moma?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's perfectly normal that they are just beginning to lay the foundations now. Development hasn't even really started yet if you think about it.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still dont get how "network" has been done in their schedule for a while yet they cant even get more than 11 people into the game without it blowing up everywhere. Its like the network team just raised their arms and said "We done, it aint our fault you fuckers keep adding poo poo that needs to be tracked by all the clients in the instance OK?"

File that question right below "Why does 3.0 keep getting delayed due to scope creep, even though they've actively been removing features from what was promised for 3.0? And there has supposedly been no scope creep since 2015"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nicholas posted:

also is it her daily duty to walk around taking pictures of everyones screen jfc

lol, you think Sandi is taking these pictures or tweeting them?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Development hasn't even really started yet if you think about it.

this unironically lol

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

starkebn posted:

lol, you think Sandi is taking these pictures or tweeting them?

who ever is taking those pics is an obnoxious jerk. im not sure how employees put up with it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

The best part for me is that CIG has no plans for these mechanics. Chris Roberts thinks, quite literally, that if you create the art assets for a mechanic (such as an asteroid, a mining ship, pretty mining lasers, and cargo, and grabby hands) then automatically, mining mechanics will automatically come about from those elements.

You see, in real life, mining exists and didn't have to be coded. Because the ore exists, and physics exists, and chemistry exists, then mining is a thing humans learned and can do. The same reasoning can be applied to everything in the universe - this is why there's farming, architecture, mechanics, art, botany, medicine, and infinite other topics, none of which needed special handling - they came from the base elements and physical laws that make up the universe.

In Chris Roberts' mind, if he creates enough art assets with enough fidelity, his game will take on the real-life traits and all the necessary mechanics will simply exist in his game. He does not believe you need to create a game, or design a game, or code a game - the game will arise from the fidelity of its assets!

Get a refund.

Well, I think you're not entirely wrong here.

See when Chris was making games back in the 1800's, it literally was 1) Make the art work, 2) Drizzle a few lines of code to make it go beep or boop, 3) Hide everything else behind a fidelity screen (cockpit taking up 80% of the screen, seeing your characters legs and hands and poo poo while driving the space fighter). 4. Profit

His only experience in making a game is to throw some art at it, make a movie for the cutscenes, and call it a day

Why anyone is surprised he is reliving his big moment on top of the world at the ripe old age of 55 or however old he is, all that's missing is the hot young wife and the sports car.

Wait..... a minute

HE HAS A LIMITED EDITION PORSCHE!

Derek get in here!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Get a refund.

I agree, friend. :)

I think CR believes if he makes a system, it will organically work with other systems.

Like he makes a sensor thing, and suddenly it's scanning the cargo of ships and the composition of planets... without it being specially coded because it's a "sensor" and that's what it does!

It's this train of thought is why he felt he could get away with his insane timelines, and why he felt he was revolutionary. It's basically pure ignorance, combined with the fact he didn't code his demo, so he's coming in with absolutely no clue how systems interact and the amount of work it takes to get even a basic gun to properly interact with shields or hull and other items.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I agree, friend. :)

I think CR believes if he makes a system, it will organically work with other systems.

Like he makes a sensor thing, and suddenly it's scanning the cargo of ships and the composition of planets... without it being specially coded because it's a "sensor" and that's what it does!

It's this train of thought is why he felt he could get away with his insane timelines, and why he felt he was revolutionary. It's basically pure ignorance, combined with the fact he didn't code his demo, so he's coming in with absolutely no clue how systems interact and the amount of work it takes to get even a basic gun to properly interact with shields or hull and other items.

Let us not forget that "Inheritance" and "Object Oriented programming" were recent discoveries made at CIG. He's is stuck 25 years in the past. I'm sure the devs explained it to him and he interpreted it as something thats never been done before in gaming, he got so excited, they just HAD to share their breakthrough on an episode of ATV.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 10, 2017

Hamled
Sep 11, 2003

Hopper posted:

I am the lovely quality flat texture on the rock next to a 1.5 billion polygon spaceman who looks like a biker with a spine guard.

I am the complete lack of UI in a screenshot of a game known for being obsessed with building UI systems.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nicholas posted:

Let us not forget that "Inheritance" and "Object Oriented programming" were recent discoveries made at CIG. He's is stuck 25 years in the past.

Wait, no loving way.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

He's is stuck 25 years in the past.

Yeah and here is an article about the revolutionary Rendering to Texture tech from 1999

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131806/rendering_to_texture_surfaces_.php

lol

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Get through it safe and sound, the thread needs you friend.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

If you've seen any of the videos with Tony z and cr you can tell it's not just cr making up poo poo. They both do and they feed off each other. The programming team is also a scam from the head down.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kromlech posted:

Get through it safe and sound, the thread needs you friend.

It'll take more than someone throwing bits of my skull in the trash to stop me posting friend

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The funniest part of all of this is that the only real losers when this project finally shits the bed are the ones that actually believed in it all the way through. Their money goes into the void. Chris, Ortwin and Sandi leave the project rich enough that they'll never have to work again and most of the devs will move onto the next studio hiring for the next big MMO or whatever.

The ones supporting the game and believing in it and fighting with people online about how it's real and so on and so forth are the only ones that will ultimately be left with nothing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

PolyRobertsism

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

If indeed this is consumer fraud, and consumers have had years to bring a claim, they would have already done so especially given the number of backers that have dumped more than $1k each and could validate a class. That's one.

For them to want to form a class enough of them would need to notice that they've been defrauded. So far, through a glorious mixture of smoke, mirrors, and ignorance on the part of the backers with a small dose of refunding to shore things up, a good chunk of the class remains blissfully ignorant. This is a group of people that, in some cases, dropped tens of thousands of dollars on a thing and are then asking questions like "does the render to texture mean that we can have holodecks in the game now?" It can take ages for schemes to collapse and even when they do, many fraud victims don't exercise their rights for reasons ranging from a mixture of embarrassment, ignorance, and failure to understand or want to act on these legally grey areas. "It's not fraud because the victims haven't noticed it yet" is a hilarious position to take.

…gently caress it…

And furthermore…

ManofManyAliases posted:

You don't understand game development.

Any well-managed game is going to have a Producer role. A producer's job (unlike in film—where they are generally money people) is to manage the project scope and schedule. Their main role on a day to day basis is to say "no" to things. They act as a kind of foil to the designers whose job is to propose cool ideas and mechanics and push the features as far as they can. As a team, producers, designers, programmers, and artists work to develop a project that is feasible but ground-breaking. How groundbreaking? Depends on the project. Ultimately, it's up to the producer to have the last word on what does and doesn't get worked on in the game.

All evidence we have about CIG is that there is no one firmly in the producer role. The guy who has the last say on things is the ideas guy, Chris. Chris is notorious for making promises about features and gameplay, seemingly off-the cuff. This results in what we are seeing now, a spiralling expanding scope, with very little clarity about what is in or out.

MoMA, your response to this seem to be that "well it's only been 5 years and they are exploring, still—that's part of game development".

And it is. Feature prototyping plays a crucial role in the early days of any game, especially a AAA one. But when people talk about a game being in development for years, often the first few years of that game's life are done with a skeleton crew. A core group of programmers and designers, with an artist or two, working primarily with grey boxes and WIP assets to validate design ideas and asset pipelines. Only once you have a solid idea of the core gameplay loops and the technical requirements to realize your vision do you staff up. Generally, you put this together in something called a vertical slice.

It's a level or some other very small short part of the larger game proposal that incorporates all the core gameplay elements and supporting technology. Once you have that, you test and test it and make sure that you have the seed of a fun, cool game. Maybe you make a lot of changes. Maybe you are happy with what you see. Once you are, you greenlight the full project and start bringing more people online. The reason you do things this way is that the earlier in the project and the smaller the team, the cheaper your mistakes and changes are. Refactoring anything before you've started development is basically free. Refactoring when you have gigs and gigs of assets is project-killing.

All evidence we have about CIG is that they staffed up pretty much as quickly as possible, before the game was even close to a vertical slice. We are in something they are calling "Alpha 3.0" right now, which is a heck of weird name for a set of prototypes that are still missing dozens of core mechanics and technologies. Ordinarily, Alpha is a feature-complete game that is still missing huge chunks of assets. Here, we're being told that all these assets are waiting in the wings for features to get up and running.

Star Citizen's asset-first development process is incredibly dangerous and wasteful. Any changes to any system will have cascading effects across the entire studio. And while CIG is still exploring features and systems, they are burning an incredible amount of money on payroll.

When they hit the crowdfunding jackpot, if CIG had put together a small braintrust of clever developers, artists and designers to hack out the core systems of the game, refined that like crazy, and then started staffing up, $150 million would have taken them a long, long way. Maybe they'd still be in pre-Alpha just like now, but they'd have a huge buffer of money to keep the lights on and give them time to get it right. But instead you get this stumbling shambling morass of broken dreams and borderline fraud.

Get a refund.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

Let us not forget that "Inheritance" and "Object Oriented programming" were recent discoveries made at CIG.

Which means they're rapidly going through the evolution of 'hey you can do everything in objects' to 'dear god, stop trying to do everything in objects, it's slowing poo poo down'.

There's a reason everyone hates Java.

kingcom posted:

Wait, no loving way.

There's a reason we take the piss out of serialized variables.

peter gabriel posted:

It'll take more than someone throwing bits of my skull in the trash to stop me posting friend

Some of those bits are important for keeping the squish in, though.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

so on and so forth are the only ones that will ultimately be left with nothing.

Nope, they'll always have goonfear(tm)

Hav fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 10, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Good luck. I like your posting.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Nicholas posted:

Let us not forget that "Inheritance" and "Object Oriented programming" were recent discoveries made at CIG. He's is stuck 25 years in the past. I'm sure the devs explained it to him and he interpreted it as something thats never been done before in gaming, he got so excited, they just HAD to share their breakthrough on an episode of ATV.

You're forgetting "Render to texture" Another of CIG's recent "inventions". :D

Literally every single thing they do regards to programming and asset creation is sold by them as "New tech" or "Groundbreaking Tech" and so far absolutely everything is found to have either been designed by someone else years ago and/or already widely used to no fanfare.

I still expect to hear in the future, Crobblers going on about his revolutionary new "Paralax scrolling tech" or "Bitmapping tech" such is his brilliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Hang in there, I hope your pain gets three times weaker every second