Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Bring back my good boy Wroggi please

... I mostly just wanna look like a cowboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Bring back my Seltas hammer, so that I may Pierce the Heavens :kamina:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

MHXX demo is up in the Japanese Switch eshop.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Funkmaster General posted:

MHXX demo is up in the Japanese Switch eshop.

How do you find it to download? I'm in my Japanese account and don't see the option

E: never mind I think i got it

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 9, 2017

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

no online play in the mhxx demo :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If only it were the real game.

And in English.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Word on the underground says we are getting XX on Switch in the US in Oct, and the announcement is coming very soon. Not sure if I 100% believe my source, but they have been trustworthy in the past; that just seems too soon to be true.

Anyways, I might be playing the Switch Demo on stream in a bit at twitch.tv/fail_snail so give a follow. I'll battle Valfalc a few times and then play some Dragon Quest XI :dance:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

Word on the underground says we are getting XX on Switch in the US in Oct, and the announcement is coming very soon. Not sure if I 100% believe my source, but they have been trustworthy in the past; that just seems too soon to be true.

don't do this to me

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

BabyRyoga posted:

Holy poo poo, dare I hope?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BabyRyoga posted:

Anyways, I might be playing the Switch Demo on stream in a bit at twitch.tv/fail_snail so give a follow. I'll battle Valfalc a few times and then play some Dragon Quest XI :dance:

Does your uncle work at Nintendo?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does your uncle work at Nintendo?

If by uncle, you mean stoner friend

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

If by uncle, you mean stoner friend

it sure means that in my family

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

BabyRyoga posted:

Your Computer posted:

don't do this to me

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
3DS or I dun care

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Yeah, give me more for this uncomfortable low-resolution rectangle that has a lovely nipple instead of a second stick

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Space Hamlet posted:

3DS or I dun care

don't worry I asked Shigeru Miyamoto himself and he confirmed that we're getting it for both Switch and 3ds in the west this october

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, give me more for this uncomfortable low-resolution rectangle that has a lovely nipple instead of a second stick

I'm sure it'll be rad on the switch but I ain't buyin a switch just for MH considerin' World is coming (and actually definitely coming, at that)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Space Hamlet posted:

I'm sure it'll be rad on the switch but I ain't buyin a switch just for MH considerin' World is coming (and actually definitely coming, at that)

:same:

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
The demo is pretty fun. The new flagship (i think he is, anyway) has some really cool things going on with him as you would expect from a jetpack dinosaur. He has some bad attack collision though. Lots of attacks I thought should have hit me but didn't, lots of attacks that I thought shouldn't have hit me but did.

There doesn't seem to have been a lot of thought or effort put into the Switch port. It's still 30 fps, which is dumb. Every single texture is the exact same as the 3ds version, including the UI and map (yikes). Even the switch exclusive button icons are at really low resolution and it's super confusing. There are also weird control issues, like with the smaller LR buttons are run and item swap and you also can't change that. The default options for hunter arts is also kinda dumb (d-pad directions) but at least with that there are options that are more reasonable (ZL+X/A).

It does feel extremely nice to play monster hunter on a big screen though. The demo really just makes me want Monster Hunter World even more. Dealing with the JP only demo makes me feel like I could actually work my way through the untranslated version of XX but I don't really think it'd be worth it. The game just seems like Generations: 2 (which was already barely different than MH4U plus some extra design decisions I don't like) but I guess that was intentional. Either way It's not something that interests me very much.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How is the touch screen stuff handled in the Switch XX like Hunter Arts or item/prowler shortcuts? Please tell me they found a way to keep the touch screen shortcuts in.

Edit: Hunter Arts is answered.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 10, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the L/ZL R/ZR button assignment thing was hella dumb in MH3U HD as well and not only did Capcom fail to fix the issue in MHXX HD they also took away the option to mirror the input to both shoulder buttons

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

How is the touch screen stuff handled in the Switch XX like Hunter Arts or item/prowler shortcuts? Please tell me they found a way to keep the touch screen shortcuts in.

Edit: Hunter Arts is answered.

How they handled converting 3ds only stuff appears to be "don't bother". There doesn't seem to be anything from the touchscreen that was converted in any meaningful way, minus hunter arts and lock-on. Lock-on defaults as ZL, but changing hunter arts to ZL also changes lock-on to L3. The entire port seems very lazy to me.

Somebody translated the options menu and it is not an exceptionally helpful menu http://imgur.com/gallery/qkjJp

dragon enthusiast posted:

the L/ZL R/ZR button assignment thing was hella dumb in MH3U HD as well and not only did Capcom fail to fix the issue in MHXX HD they also took away the option to mirror the input to both shoulder buttons

What on earth.

I would also struggle to call this MHXX HD, as I'm pretty sure it's literally the 3ds version but upscaled + slightly different controls.

Lemonpieman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 10, 2017

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It looks really good on the Switch's portable mode screen, but not so impressive on a TV IMO. It doesn't look bad by any means, but I think it might be graphically inferior to 3uwiiu somehow. edit: or maybe very similar to.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 10, 2017

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I think it looks significantly better than the 3DS version but... That's really not a high bar to clear, is it?

Anyway, I liked the demo, but playing through the first battle made me realize that I really could only make decent progress in it if it were translated. I mean, unless I wanted to go through the game with a translation guide. I suppose I'll just idly hope for a Western announcement, and if not I'll just play MHWorld next year.

I also tried the Monhun Stories demo, and that game seems pretty charming. Navirou is... Kind of an unsettling looking Felyne, but everything else seems nice. Kind of a nice way to experience Monster Hunter's stuff as a more traditional JRPG? I'm wondering if my wife would like it, since she likes the aesthetic and the design of Monster Hunter but can't stand the gameplay.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lemonpieman posted:

I would also struggle to call this MHXX HD, as I'm pretty sure it's literally the 3ds version but upscaled + slightly different controls.
So.... it's the 3ds version but in higher definition? :v:

Moriveth posted:

Anyway, I liked the demo, but playing through the first battle made me realize that I really could only make decent progress in it if it were translated. I mean, unless I wanted to go through the game with a translation guide.
Yeah, I tried MHXX a bit and it's super frustrating not being able to read anything. The people in this thread who keep saying "just play MHXX in Japanese, it's perfectly fine" are full of poo poo, and even if I had memorized all the menus and icons by heart it would still not feel the same to play. I like Monster Hunter for more than just the combat, it's pretty crazy :monocle:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BabyRyoga posted:

My account's on the line and I still hope you're telling the truth. I'll be too busy playing Monster Hunter to care. But now I'm conflicted. Do I buy XX on the 25th or wait and see if there's an announcement?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

No one cares about your stupid vendetta or your :10bux:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriveth posted:

I also tried the Monhun Stories demo, and that game seems pretty charming. Navirou is... Kind of an unsettling looking Felyne

He looks so lovely, I truly hate him. He's disgusting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Countblanc posted:

He looks so lovely, I truly hate him. He's disgusting.

I appreciate that he's incredibly smug, despite all that. But also, yeah, gently caress that guy.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Navirou's voice is so incredibly annoying that I could barely make it through one episode of the anime so I think I'm gonna pass on Stories.

Monster pets are cool, though, so I hope that gets implemented in some way in another game. MH2 did have those tamed monster arenas.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Squidtentacle posted:

Monster pets are cool, though, so I hope that gets implemented in some way in another game.

*trips over ledge*

have you heard about.... Frontier....

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squidtentacle posted:

Navirou's voice is so incredibly annoying that I could barely make it through one episode of the anime so I think I'm gonna pass on Stories.

Monster pets are cool, though, so I hope that gets implemented in some way in another game. MH2 did have those tamed monster arenas.

Voice?

Is monster hunter stories voice acted and dubbed? :gonk:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

No one cares about your stupid vendetta or your :10bux:

my vendetta against stygian zinogre is real and legitimate

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Voice?

Is monster hunter stories voice acted and dubbed? :gonk:

Yes it is. Sadly.

None of the voice acting seems terribly bad aside from Navrirou. Unfortunately Navirou can't shut the gently caress up.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The White Dragon posted:

my vendetta against stygian zinogre is real and legitimate

Use a gun and shoot it until it dies. That's my solution for everything, including things that it's not a solution for because I never learned anything but bowgun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got the demo for Monster Hunter Stories. It's real cute but the voices drive me nuts.

Please say the full game has an English dub, or at least an option to turn the voices off.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Silver Falcon posted:

I got the demo for Monster Hunter Stories. It's real cute but the voices drive me nuts.

Please say the full game has an English dub, or at least an option to turn the voices off.

It doesn't even have a Japanese voice track, so you'll take your Monster Hunter gibberish and like it! :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I thought it was dubbed in English. The gibberish voice acting is kinda dumb, but I think I can live with this :v:

I really liked the demo actually. Can't wait to be a Pokémon master monster rider! Only thing that really annoyed me with the demo was that the in-game cutscenes have super slow text speed, to the point where the text goes on for seconds after the voice lines are over while the characters are all standing there motionless. Why won't they just let you speed up the text like everywhere else?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I was talking about the anime, not the game. Which also, for some reason, uses the Japanese names of monsters for the English dub?

Needless to say I was not really interested in Stories after that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What I really don't get is why they decided to make Navirou an eldritch abomination when there are perfectly adorable and normal cattes in the same game.

• Locked thread