Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Model looks great, you guys are so loving hard to please.

I just don't like how insanely busy it is...sorry??

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

You aren't allowed to dislike things in this thread, m'lord. All dissent is entitled whinging and entitled whinging is punished, welcome to my ignore list idiot.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

wow what a loving stupid opinion...bet you voted for TRUMP too you goddamn dumbass piece of poo poo idiot

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Death thread tourist piece of poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Come on gents, there's no need for unloveliness here.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You guys know that shitposting about shitposting is still shitposting, right? :shrug:

So after my game playing as Tau yesterday, I realized that my Tau 2k list has very, very little anti-armor in it, relying almost entirely on a bunch of Crisis Fusion Blaster marauders and a single Ghostkeel tricked out with even more Fusion Blasters. Pathfinder Rail Rifles put in good work, but S6 wasn't cutting it against actual vehicles. I'm switching things around a bit to put in a Broadside with Heavy Rail Rifle and Plasma, and I swapped out of my grab-bag-o'-fun Commander to go for 2x Fusion/Missile Pod/Drone Controller for a little anti-armor punch.

Short of ripping the entire list apart to fit like a Hammerhead, is there another way to get relatively inexpensive anti-armor in a Tau list? Each of these Crisis suits is 80+ points, and that's.... a lot, for three models that only have three wounds each.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Strobe posted:

You guys know that shitposting about shitposting is still shitposting, right? :shrug:

You're not going to teach me to suck eggs here.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You are the undisputed champion of sucking.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Come on gents, there's no need for unloveliness here.

This is a place for lovely shitposts, not unlovely ones.

Also, Heavy Bolters suck, 'gaunts are underpowered, Chaos gets too many model updates, Guiliman is a nuanced and fascinating character, GW sucks, etc. etc.

Now, please look at a cupola my list ideas.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

You are the undisputed champion of sucking.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I can't see that, I have you on ignore. :colbert:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TTerrible posted:

You aren't allowed to dislike things in this thread, m'lord. All dissent is entitled whinging and entitled whinging is punished, welcome to my ignore list idiot.

Yes, when that is the exact same argument you have for any model with a high level of detail. Basically, it just comes off as pretentious as hell, or simply idiotic since overwrought armor and decoration is 40K as gently caress.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Joking aside, I do actually think the leaked Mortarion looks better than the FW one.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I think that model is both good and bad in different ways and that it's alright and we should all get along

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Geoff Zahn posted:

I think that model is both good and bad in different ways and that it's alright and we should all get along

eat fucc

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I am less interested in Mortarian than I am the other things that will come out with him, like hopefully those big daemon looking multileg things

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Have any of you painted the plastic Bloodthirster? And/or Word Bearers? I'm looking for inspiration.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to withhold judgement until we get a proper view of the model, but I'm not a big fan of it from what we can see now. There are great details on it, don't get me wrong, but it suffers from being crowded with too much. It's busy as hell. I do like that it is recognizably a continuation of the 30k Mortarion and they didn't go for the usual Nurgle aesthetic of a fat man huffing his own jenkem. The wings are great too. Part of it may be the paint job; I really don't like the purple robe.

I thought 40k Guilliman wasn't that great either. It had a lot of empty space with its hilariously wide stance and would have benefited from some of the standard Ultramarine pteruges. It also has a stupid amount of fine trim all over the place. His 30k model is just so much better. Mortarion's not my favorite 30k model, it's almost too plain. I also think the studio paint scheme did it no favors. However, it's become kind of a trend that GW's designers don't know when to stop. They were pretty restrained on the primaris range, but the Death Guard in general are much too busy for me.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Yes, when that is the exact same argument you have for any model with a high level of detail. Basically, it just comes off as pretentious as hell, or simply idiotic since overwrought armor and decoration is 40K as gently caress.

There is heavily detailing something and there is detailing it to the point that its hard to work out what is going on. I know that the leaked Mortarion image isn't exactly high quality but it took me more more than a few seconds to work out where his goddamn head is and that is not good.

New GW Sculpting checklist:

• Small flowing element in freeze frame (flame, liquid)
  • Multiple wind directions effecting different implementations of the above are optional but heavily encouraged. More an AOS thing.
  • The larger / more senior in game a model is the more likely it has to be held aloft by scrolls, chains, swirls of magic
  • 90% of the surface of the model has to be covered in detail. Any detail. GW sculptors are paid by surface area.
  • Focal points of the model must be obscured by the above

Just because the same complaint is made multiple times doesn't mean it is invalid, it means the same thing keeps happening. :ssh:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

what a pretty pretty princess :allears:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Short of ripping the entire list apart to fit like a Hammerhead, is there another way to get relatively inexpensive anti-armor in a Tau list? Each of these Crisis suits is 80+ points, and that's.... a lot, for three models that only have three wounds each.

The current anti armor list for Tau can be roughly summed up as 4xFB commander >>>> other FB mounting units > HRR Broadside > Hammerhead, the hammerhead only having one shot a turn makes it unreliable the HRR is slightly better on this front since it has two shots but they still average ~2 wounds a turn to a landraider. The only weapon with appreciable anti armor is the FB and the commander is far and away better then the other options, you have to double the cost of a commander for it to be comparable to crisis suits.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Are seeker missiles worth using? Keeping in mind that I currently have 20+ markerlights in play in that list and getting to five lights was non-trivial but also not hard. Mortal wounds on an effective 3+ rerolling 1s doesn't seem terrible for five points. The biggest limitation is that I can only fit like six without going whole hog on vehicles.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Or waking up and being all "Wait what the gently caress have you idiots done to the Imperium?" and, instead of going full Jesus flipping tables, he just says "oh it's okay i'll make it better".

I asked before how much of the Wikia article is fan fiction, if any of it is official fluff, didn't get an answer. Because lines like this are cool and good:

"Why do I still live? What more do you want from me? I gave everything I had to you, to them. Look what they've made of our dream. This bloated, rotting carcass of an empire is driven not by reason and hope but by fear, hate and ignorance. Better that we had all burned in the fires of Horus' ambition than live to see this."

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Roboute_Guilliman

In private, he's moody and despondent with too much responsibility on his shoulders, like how I imagine all Space Marines must feel. Imperial Commander to a group of twenty Space Marines: "You must help us, storm the heretic fortification, save the day for us!"

Space Marines: "Sigh, we're so tired of this poo poo, we've been doing this for centuries."

Iron Warriors: "Told you so."

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Are seeker missiles worth using? Keeping in mind that I currently have 20+ markerlights in play in that list and getting to five lights was non-trivial but also not hard. Mortal wounds on an effective 3+ rerolling 1s doesn't seem terrible for five points. The biggest limitation is that I can only fit like six without going whole hog on vehicles.

They really are not good, its 5 points for ~2/3 chance for a wound once so they cost too much for too little impact. If you wanted to be boring and WAAC the current way to kill stuff as Tau is just volume of fire or commanders, most people dont bother going for more that the first markerlight since the cost is prohibitive and most of the platforms just are not survivable against players who understand their purpose.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

I asked before how much of the Wikia article is fan fiction, if any of it is official fluff, didn't get an answer. Because lines like this are cool and good:

"Why do I still live? What more do you want from me? I gave everything I had to you, to them. Look what they've made of our dream. This bloated, rotting carcass of an empire is driven not by reason and hope but by fear, hate and ignorance. Better that we had all burned in the fires of Horus' ambition than live to see this."

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Roboute_Guilliman

In private, he's moody and despondent with too much responsibility on his shoulders, like how I imagine all Space Marines must feel. Imperial Commander to a group of twenty Space Marines: "You must help us, storm the heretic fortification, save the day for us!"

Space Marines: "Sigh, we're so tired of this poo poo, we've been doing this for centuries."

Iron Warriors: "Told you so."

I think that section is legit. I remember reading it and that's what made me love him.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That is a terrible photo of Mortarion and the paint scheme doesn't help. I like the model OK so far but I can't really judge for certain until I can see it in gray plastic. Still, like most of the recent releases, I suspect I'll love it when I see it in better angles/lighting/colors. GW just does such a laughably bad job photographing minis. :-\

I like the general action/pose of the model though.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Jesus god, is the slap fight between nerds over. You're all weirdos, embrace it. #StopGoonShaming

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Pose is ok
Paint job is eh.
Picture quality is eh.
Very busy model, my eyes can't focus on anything with so much going on. Sometimes less is more.

I agree over ostentatious junk all over armor is very 40k but wow. Personally his scythe is less weapon an looks more tyranid bio weapon, not a fan.

Its not awful its quite good actually but a few less details an it'd be perfect. It follows why I'm not a big fan of the new Death Guard which is way too many gribbly bits. All of them stand out so much they could all be a aspiring champion. No one guy sits over tbe other. Morty here looks like a solid B+.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah it's not like I hate it or anything, but it's too busy for me.

I think that's one of the reasons I'm not drawn to most GW minis anymore. They look great with a white backdrop all alone, but when you put them in a real environment with other models the detail turns into noise.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Everyone in this thread is the worst poster.

Mortarion is amazingly okay I guess. I like his wings, the rest is very "AS MANY TINY DETAILS AS POSSIBLE! :byodood:" Probably gonna do Deathguard with Nurgle daemons for a token Chaos army but I've no amazing desire to have him.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The Death Guard paint scheme they've chosen is also like the worst possible scheme for making the models stand out and not look muddy as hell

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Joking aside, I do actually think the leaked Mortarion looks better than the FW one.

I can't tell if you are just trolling with this bullshit, or if this is a personal attack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I suspect I will like Mortarion a lot more once I get a better look. Also I think his robe should be grey or brown instead of purple.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Death Guard paint scheme they've chosen is also like the worst possible scheme for making the models stand out and not look muddy as hell

He'd look great in the classic Death Guard scheme, but hey gotta sell that new shade of green.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I can't tell if you are just trolling with this bullshit, or if this is a personal attack.

I suspect I'll be in that boat too. Except for the backpack, I really don't like the Forgeworld Mortarion. Him and Magnus are the only FW primarchs I don't really care for.

SteelMentor posted:

He'd look great in the classic Death Guard scheme, but hey gotta sell that new shade of green.

But do you have to photograph it against a yellow background? I mean come on

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 10, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adamantium|wang posted:

This is a questionable paint scheme

efb

With that paint scheme, he looks like he's wearing a giant labia...

He'd also look better if the wings were more moth like and an extra, slightly smaller pair below.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really hope they release a plastic Great Unclean One as part of this stuff. The Death Guard stuff so far has been pretty great so I wouldn't mind that or some more fun cultists.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really hate his scythe. I understand that it's a dumb, unworkable weapon in general, but they could have done something to make it look less awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheChirurgeon posted:

But do you have to photograph it against a yellow background? I mean come on

No joke, part of the hope that I get this Warham Community job is that I can track down whoever handles their promotional photography and smack them over and over.