Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

In Training posted:

This is something they need to fix asap

You can replace them when buying stuff any other way, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I haven't tried it, but you could probably get around it by ordering a pair with the main ability you want off a squid in your plaza, since Merch gives you the choice of which to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Snake Maze posted:

You can replace them when buying stuff any other way, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I haven't tried it, but you could probably get around it by ordering a pair with the main ability you want off a squid in your plaza, since Merch gives you the choice of which to keep.
Yeah that works, but it's really roundabout and lame. It's weird that they straight up don't let you buy something from a retail shop if you already own it with a different ability.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
My brother said he saw someone in ranked mode who had already reached level 50 :stare:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

dude789 posted:

My brother said he saw someone in ranked mode who had already reached level 50 :stare:
League mode gives like 6k XP per win, and some Rain/TC matches can be over in like 30 seconds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There was apparently a guy that reached level 30 and 100% single player within two days of release. Some people are crazy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I think you linked the wrong thing but I mean something like a pro controller sawed in half with only the right side with gyro controls similar to a wiimote/nunchuck. Some goon sawed the grip that comes with the Switch in half in the main thread but I wish someone actually made that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onean posted:

Someone made a great post a while back that showed how to figure it out, but I can't remember who it was. :( Hopefully they'll pipe up so you can see pictures to represent what to look for. Basically though, it's a game of Hot or Cold. The bigger the effect you get when you shoot a gusher point, the closer you are to finding the correct one.

So how am I supposed to convey that information to three random people who don't have that knowledge AND get clear across to the far end of the map to check Gushers there without eating up to 30-odd seconds. Per Glowie.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I've found both Gushers and Mothership to be completely dependent on the map size. If you get one at high tide you'll probably be fine, but there's just way too much ground to cover otherwise that it's basically impossible unless you get extremely lucky.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mothership people seem to deal. The glow geyser wave is just bad design and a complete crapshoot

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Frankston posted:

I love it in salmon run when one guy hops on the raising platform and raises it leaving the rest of the team to die in the huge mob below. :thumbsup:

I know people keep mentioning this but it's never stopped me just inking the side of the elevator and swimming up it...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I know people keep mentioning this but it's never stopped me just inking the side of the elevator and swimming up it...

Try doing that with a Steelhead, Scrapper and Flyfish right on your rear end. Nevermind numerous Chum and Cohocks.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

a cock shaped fruit posted:

You have to ink the elevator and climb it (all while the elevator drops back down meaning you'll have to manually raise it again to get up) with a ton of angry salmon all around you. It's a pro move to wait.

Speaking of pro moves, I wish pubbies didn't have such a hardon for being the dude who killed the boss and learned to lead them closer to the basket. Certain enemies obviously need to be dealt with immediately, but the snake/cart/maws can be easily led to the basket which makes collecting so much easier. So often the round starts and dudes just sprint off to the coast line like some sort of hero.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Barber posted:

You have to ink the elevator and climb it (all while the elevator drops back down meaning you'll have to manually raise it again to get up) with a ton of angry salmon all around you. It's a pro move to wait.

Speaking of pro moves, I wish pubbies didn't have such a hardon for being the dude who killed the boss and learned to lead them closer to the basket. Certain enemies obviously need to be dealt with immediately, but the snake/cart/maws can be easily led to the basket which makes collecting so much easier. So often the round starts and dudes just sprint off to the coast line like some sort of hero.

If you let them come, you're letting the artillery types get a foothold in behind them. That is Very Bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do u keep getting teamed up with terrible chargers and aerosprays who manage to get <600 points

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

bizarre deformity posted:

How do u keep getting teamed up with terrible chargers and aerosprays who manage to get <600 points
Confirmation bias. No one ever posts about how awesome their team was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why am I the one who keeps getting the 0p dead weight on my teams?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everyone blames their teammates but I'm going to blame the drink ticket I used because I'm now at 16/34 win/loss ratio and went from A to B+ in TC :(

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Why am I the one who keeps getting the 0p dead weight on my teams?

Frankly I don't even like it when they're on the other team. At least in Ranked the game ends instantly, when it happens in Turf War you waste your time with a boring match. I wish it'd just kick everyone back out to matchmacking when there's a disconnect at the start.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bill Barber posted:

I'll do that!

I had a rainmaker game that we were losing, we had about 20 seconds left on the clock and some dickbag on the other team was turtling with the rainmaker and the rest of the enemy team was keeping them at bay, but they forgot to cover one flank. So me, with a blaster; comes up behind the turtling guy and one shot him. The rainmaker drops, the bubble appears, I try to break it as quick as I can but Im not going to make it... until a guy with a stingray intervenes and lasers the bubble open. I grab the rainmaker and swim for the finish as a symphony of burst bombs and splat bombs fly at me, but it's too late, I take the lead and end the game right then and there. All thanks to Stingray guy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I just experienced a weird visual glitch in my match. For some reason, all the particle effects got disabled. I could see turf being inked, but I couldn't see ink projectiles, and worst of all, charger lasers. Somehow managed to win anyway.

Onean posted:

Someone made a great post a while back that showed how to figure it out, but I can't remember who it was. :( Hopefully they'll pipe up so you can see pictures to represent what to look for. Basically though, it's a game of Hot or Cold. The bigger the effect you get when you shoot a gusher point, the closer you are to finding the correct one.

I think spammed shots that aren't charged at all is much faster on all but the fastest charging Chargers. You can lay down a ridiculous rectangle of ink in a very short time that way.

Yeah, here's how the geysers look when it's telling you how close you are to the Goldie.

Wrong place:

Getting closer...

Found him!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try doing that with a Steelhead, Scrapper and Flyfish right on your rear end. Nevermind numerous Chum and Cohocks.

True, but I'm also pretty sure you can ink the elevator early and it stays inked throughout waves - enemy ink splash permitting.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
As a general rule nobody in Salmon Run knows how to ink walls. I think I've seen one other person trying to ink the useful ones.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Lakbay posted:

I think you linked the wrong thing but I mean something like a pro controller sawed in half with only the right side with gyro controls similar to a wiimote/nunchuck. Some goon sawed the grip that comes with the Switch in half in the main thread but I wish someone actually made that

The linked thing comes with a grip for the Joy Con but no, it isn't what you're talking about.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

As a general rule nobody in Salmon Run knows how to ink walls. I think I've seen one other person trying to ink the useful ones.

It was me, this cryptid you spotted.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah, I always try to do this, especially on the ship itself.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Aerospray is great for when you've popped a 1.5x money token

Cash is calculated by coverage?

tap my mountain posted:

I ink every relevant wall, particularly escape routes from high traffic areas, and any walls that draw a line between 'current spawn clusterfuck' and 'egg drop container'.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 10, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bill Barber posted:

I meant to say how do I but anyway

I have had some awesome teams that worked well together and/or booyah'd a lot but they are few and far between.

Edit: I have really only used the regular Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica in Turf Wars because I refuse to use an Aerospray or Tri-Slosher like all the filthy casuals. But seriously, I haven't found another weapon that I have really liked. I tried the Dual Squelchers but I lost like five in a row and gave up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

It's also an odd complaint to be annoyed by the separate rankings when the end goal of playing a lot of ranked mode is...playing more ranked mode.

Its odd to want to have reasonable matchmaking? Comeon. :colbert:

Skill based games live by their matchmaking. This is not remotely exclusive to Splatoon nor a controversial attitude.

Futaba Anzu posted:

also it hasn't even been a month since the game launched, even if you were blazing through the lower levels it'd still take you time to get back up to where you were unless you played like 8+ hours a da- nevermind

What part of 3x as long doesn't make sense?

No matter how long X is, 3X is going to be 3 times longer. That's really basic math.

You obviously don't have to play 8 hours a day to rank up, most people in this thread are much higher level than me and I assume most don't play 8 hours a day. I'm still level 18. Like I said, I've never raked down so it didn't take that many matches to rank up, I only play a couple hours every other day, not even every day.

But if I just now hit A rank with everything being cut 1/3, that would mean instead 3 weeks ago I could be playing at A rank and having fun being challenged.

You guys are so loving dismissive.

I can't imagine anybody's ranking in their worst mode being more than like one or two levels less than their highest. Separating them is overkill and makes the matchmaking take 3 times as long.
You could also separate them if the matchmaking was more accurate, but it isn't.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 10, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Mods please rename the thread to Splatoon 2: Confirmation Bias

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Friend posted:

Frankly I don't even like it when they're on the other team. At least in Ranked the game ends instantly, when it happens in Turf War you waste your time with a boring match. I wish it'd just kick everyone back out to matchmacking when there's a disconnect at the start.

Somebody dropping halfway through is one thing, but I agree; starting a match with a DC'd player is basically a huge bug. There's no reason why it shouldn't detect that and just keep you in the lobby and find another player before starting.

The lobby system is highly inflexible as they currently programmed it. Not being able to drop out once you hop into a lobby until after the match is pretty awkward too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

What part of 3x as long doesn't make sense?

No matter how long X is, 3X is going to be 3 times longer. That's really basic math.

Here's some math for you genius; ranking up is way faster in this game than Splatoon 1, so even though you have separate ranks you overall won't take that much longer to reach the high ranks. Especially if you're actually as good as you think you are and skipped ranks frequently.

Separating the modes solves the obvious problem of people avoiding modes they didn't play as well in to preserve their rank. Now you have an incentive to play regardless of what mode it is, because a loss in one won't hurt your rank in the others. Overall that's a lot better for the longterm health of matchmaking than it all being one rank.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's some math for you genius; ranking up is way faster in this game than Splatoon 1, so even though you have separate ranks you overall won't take that much longer to reach the high ranks. Especially if you're actually as good as you think you are and skipped ranks frequently.

Separating the modes solves the obvious problem of people avoiding modes they didn't play as well in to preserve their rank. Now you have an incentive to play regardless of what mode it is, because a loss in one won't hurt your rank in the others. Overall that's a lot better for the longterm health of matchmaking than it all being one rank.

Unless it's Splat Zones with Moray Towers in the map rotation. Because that isn't going to be fun for anyone. :yikes:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just don't play if Moray is in rotation in any mode unless it's League and I have to because it's when the squad is available .

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bizarre deformity posted:

I meant to say how do I but anyway

I have had some awesome teams that worked well together and/or booyah'd a lot but they are few and far between.

Edit: I have really only used the regular Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica in Turf Wars because I refuse to use an Aerospray or Tri-Slosher like all the filthy casuals. But seriously, I haven't found another weapon that I have really liked. I tried the Dual Squelchers but I lost like five in a row and gave up.

I know you're not being serious... but the Tri-Slosher is not in the same category as the Aerospray. It's one of the better weapons for Ranked, as well as being fine in Turf War.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Fumaofthelake posted:

"Tenacity is an ability in Splatoon 2 that provides a boost to players' Special Ability guages when their teammates are waiting to respawn. Its a risk-vs-reward type ability, meaning that its efficacy increases with each downed player. When only one teammate is down, Tenacity provides a Special Gauge boost of 2.19 points per second, and that number increases to 4.37 points per second when two inklings are down, and to 6.56 points per second when all three other inklings are down."

Thank you. I totally had it wrong. This sound even better though since it's not waiting for a I'll on disconnect or afk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What do you mean "you won't" like this is a hypothetical? I just posted that I ground my way up to A rank from the start of the game. There's nothing hypothetical about it. I skipped up a few ranks but it still took tons of matches.

I don't know why anybody would obsess about their rank so much as to not play modes to preserve it. You play a few matches, worst case you go down a bit, then modes switch and you go back up a bit. Who cares? Like I said, your worst mode and your best mode should be really close together. The ranks are more about overall game skill and map awareness than mode-specific skills. It mostly translates. poo poo people are posting about creating smurf accounts, letting your rank go slightly down so it can go slightly back up again seems way better than making a smurf account all the way from the beginning.

You always had an incentive to play because the game is fun and when you win you get stuff. I don't think people should obsess so much about artificially increasing their rank in one mode while its slightly lower in another mode. I don't see why that's so much better than making things take less time to get to where you belong.

If you were like A rank at rainmaker but C at splat zones it would make sense, but nobody should have anywhere near that big a spread. Its more like A and A- or B+ and B-. Its not that dramatic. Since you get matched with people who are slightly + or - your rank anyways, that's basically irrelevant.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 10, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unless it's Splat Zones with Moray Towers in the map rotation. Because that isn't going to be fun for anyone. :yikes:

:wrong:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

What do you mean "you won't" like this is a hypothetical? I just posted that I ground my way up to A rank from the start of the game. There's nothing hypothetical about it. I skipped up a few ranks but it still took tons of matches.

I don't know why anybody would obsess about their rank so much as to not play modes to preserve it. You play a few matches, worst case you go down a bit, then modes switch and you go back up a bit. Who cares? Like I said, your worst mode and your best mode should be really close together. The ranks are more about overall game skill and map awareness than mode-specific skills. It mostly translates. poo poo people are posting about creating smurf accounts, letting your rank go slightly down so it can go slightly back up again seems way better than making a smurf account all the way from the beginning.

You always had an incentive to play because the game is fun and when you win you get stuff. I don't think people should obsess so much about artificially increasing their rank in one mode while its slightly lower in another mode. I don't see why that's so much better than making things take less time to get to where you belong.

If you were like A rank at rainmaker but C at splat zones it would make sense, but nobody should have anywhere near that big a spread. Its more like A and A- or B+ and B-. Its not that dramatic. Since you get matched with people who are slightly + or - your rank anyways, that's basically irrelevant.
I've got bad news buddy. The matches at B rank are largely the same as the matches at A+ rank. If you're getting frustrated and not having fun trying to increase the ranking that you adamantly claim you don't actually care about, then I just think you don't enjoy the game very much.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lol at all that salt that came out of that guy and lol at reading any of it.

I wanna play more salmon run this time thing is just so odd.

Friends don't let friends play Towers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably fun for the Charger users! :v:

Seriously though, that's probably my personal pick for worst map in the game. It just loves to go nowhere most of the time since taking half of only 1 splat zone halts the match.