Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Oh man he dropped his beer- :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Obsidian (formerly Black Isle/Troika) are still around, still independent and still making great RPGs.

Depending on what you like in an RPG. I much preferred Bioware until around the ME3/Inquisition era.

Western RPGs that aren't Bethesda style seem to be a dying art, unfortunately, which is a shame. They're my favorite genre of game, and my other favorite - 4X games like Civilization - isn't doing well, either.

It's a shame how few big companies are left in general, and how little there is available between them and small indie outfits mainly making retro-style games.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Suddenly that whole "castle doctrine" thing doesn't sound so bad, huh?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

AlmightyBob posted:

if you've always hated Jonathon Blow for whatever reason you'll be happy to know he's dug himself into quite the hole on twitter

Good. The more people start digging at that the quicker we'll upturn the loving social justice clowns.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Working on Steam is low-status at Valve, who think of themselves as a game studio with this odd growth that happens to gush cash. If you do low-status stuff you get lovely pay and lovely bonuses and generally poo poo on. Working on games is high status, and VR became high status recently, but notably it doesn't seem to matter if you ship, as long as you're doing "cool stuff" day to day in those spaces.

Too bad their games suck rear end now

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Be free, little four-wheeler!

I know, that atv is about as joyous as a machine can be.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If you're disappointed/burned out on civ, maybe give grand strategy a whirl. There's a sharper learning curve, but there's more meat on the bone, too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

'I'm sure that the person piloting this drone is a responsible adult and this woman is just overreacting and wants to make drone pilots look bad.'

That's the response given whenever a video that makes drone pilots look like shitlords comes out right?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Realtalk, are drones that hard to control? I've always wanted one, but outside of the many practical reasons not to (the expense, nothing to film, would basically be a novelty), the #1 reason is that flight controls in video games and me do not mix, and I figured I'd be reenacting that video every time.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

plain clothes ICE agent in American flag t-shirt with PROUD across the front drops his gun and blows his ankle off in Orlando International Airport.

I work there and saw it happen. He was slinging his bag over his shoulder and it caught his gun in the holster. He also had a goatee.

Seems like we totally missed out on this . . . how did people around him react? I have to assume if the guy looked vaguely middle eastern he would have immediately had a pile of people jumping on him, and if I'd been standing in an airport when a guy in plain clothes past security set off a gun I'd expect security to come running while people punched him no matter what they looked like.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Volcott posted:

If you're disappointed/burned out on civ, maybe give grand strategy a whirl. There's a sharper learning curve, but there's more meat on the bone, too.

Grand strategy isn't why I play 4X games. I play 4X games to sit back, relax, research, and build a neat-looking empire. Ideally without needing a spreadsheet like every Anno game not numbered 2205.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“MisterBibs”" post="“475211031”"]
Realtalk, are drones that hard to control? I’ve always wanted one, but outside of the many practical reasons not to (the expense, nothing to film, would basically be a novelty), the #1 reason is that flight controls in video games and me do not mix, and I figured I’d be reenacting that video every time.
[/quote]

Newer ones are very easy to control. Everything is mostly automated and they’ll even avoid obstacles.

But yeah, cheap ones and old ones can be tough to fly.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
I think drones are neat but it is always, always good when they are destroyed

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I enjoyed the steadycam drones recording smoothly as their wrecked bodies gimbal wildly around them during their final plummet to the ground.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Realtalk, are drones that hard to control? I've always wanted one, but outside of the many practical reasons not to (the expense, nothing to film, would basically be a novelty), the #1 reason is that flight controls in video games and me do not mix, and I figured I'd be reenacting that video every time.

It's not that they're hard to control. For cheap you can get fly by wire capability like any R/C airplane, and automated navigation through GPS is available through freeware if you buy the right model. And if they lose signal many multi rotors are programmed to just descend vertically. The fixed wings I've fiddled around with were programmed to return to home and circle at a fixed elevation until signal is reestablished.

So many crash videos are of idiots flying too close to buildings. The drone gets confused by signal reflection or being close to the building changes wind patterns too quickly for the pilot to account for.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What even takes roughly half of them down, anyway? It seems like they'll just putz along happily and then out of nowhere gravity violently reasserts its dominance.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What even takes roughly half of them down, anyway? It seems like they'll just putz along happily and then out of nowhere gravity violently reasserts its dominance.

I've never used one but I assume they all have some sort of low-level program running that keeps all the rotors in sync and tries to keep it stable. Whether by an error in programming, user input or mechanics it would only take a second of one of the roters loving up to send the whole thing into a crazy spin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's not entirely fair—they'd still see a huge net profit from sales, just without the same potential for income over time as subscription-based games or games with microtransactions. I'd like to think that Gabe just shifted focus when it became clear VR has the potential to be commercially viable and is holding out on producing some blockbuster sequels to the likes of Half-Life and Portal until they can serve to hype up a big advancement in VR tech. Hopefully Valve is hard at work at the next generation of the Vive behind the scenes, but they're notoriously close-lipped and we won't know until they announce.

They could also just be playing with their dicks in bathtubs full of cash. The lack of meaningful enhancements to Steam over the last few years is a bit worrisome.

You have to consider opportunity cost. "Huge" is relative. The time spent on HL3 could be spent on the next CS or DOTA which will make them far more money in the same amount of time. That's the problem.

Like yeah, there's tons of games that valve could make that would be profitable, but its about which of them is the most profitable. They can only do so many things simultaneously.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

DontMockMySmock posted:

A friend and I were having a discussion recently about how many of the videogame companies we used to trust to make good games have lost that reputation, what with things like Blizzard devoting its life to Hearthstone and Overwatch, Valve dedicated to Steam and microtransactions, Maxis now owned by EA, etc. And we came to the conclusion that these days, the most trustworthy developer is loving Bethesda. The Glitch Kings of the loving industry are somehow now better known for making good games than the companies that brought us Starcraft and Half-Life. :suicide:

You can't have that discussion without mentioning Konami.

They turned their most iconic franchises into cynical cash-ins and pachinko machines, chased out their most talented employees seemingly out of spite, and their handling of the rank and file is not so much bad as it is infamous. At first I thought the company was just horribly mismanaged, but now I think they just really, really don't want to make video games anymore.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

User error. R/C planes were a very niche community of kids who were interested in becoming pilots or adult hobbyists who had years of experience and just loved doing sweet tricks with their custom builds. Some were licensed pilots. Cheap drones opened everything up to morons who don't maintain line of sight or have the slightest idea of what they're doing or how the technology works. If you've ever played with a radio controlled car you know when you've driven beyond the signal strength of the controller. The car stops and might twitch irregularly as it tries to interpret a signal that's too weak. When that happens in the air drones just fall.

Also, cheap chinese lithium ion batteries can explode and cheap drones can just fail randomly. The all have GoPros attached, so every idiot rushes to post their crashes online for views no matter how tedious they are.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

AlmightyBob posted:

if you've always hated Jonathon Blow for whatever reason you'll be happy to know he's dug himself into quite the hole on twitter

You're. An. Idiot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wait so what's the part that is left out?

That link spends so much time being smug it forgets what the point of it was.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait so what's the part that is left out?

The context? I mean, you can quote anybody out of context and make them look bad. (Especially if, like creationists, you do elision of anything that disagrees with what you're trying to say.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aerdan posted:

The context? I mean, you can quote anybody out of context and make them look bad. (Especially if, like creationists, you do elision of anything that disagrees with what you're trying to say.)

Oh? Next time you should post the context rather than some lovely gotcha that fails to make any substantive point.

Because I was curious and that link did nothing but make me dislike that dude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What the gently caress is this

CharlestheHammer posted:

That link spends so much time being smug it forgets what the point of it was.

FOR REAL, this is one of the most bullshit :smuggo: things I've ever tried to parse. Its really hard to even understand it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:thunk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aerdan posted:

If you read the thing you linked its full of poo poo, so you just made yourself look dumb.

If that's supposed to prove somehow that Blow isn't misogynistic it completely fails.

If there's some magic tweet that gives context and makes all his other tweets sound totally okay, post it? Otherwise shut the gently caress up?

quote:

And in case there's any loving doubt Blow doesn't believe women are good programmers? <link to random tweet about one woman programmer at SXSW>

This is like the "Hey I totally have A black friend!" defense.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/EzXEl2T.mp4

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh? Next time you should post the context rather than some lovely gotcha that fails to make any substantive point.

Much too late for that; I went looking and the original tweets are gone. (Which doesn't surprise me; Twitter is vicious when you're not an alt-right douche or a fake SJW crusader and you dare to say something that requires some context that can be conveniently omitted for the sake of screeching.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Just tell us the context then, I am sure you know it.

You must

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zaphod42 posted:

What's also sad is another dev I would consider to be an all time great is Square, and the last couple Final Fantasy games have been real disappointments.

Disappointments but they're trying new poo poo with each game and more than that they've been pretty steadily pressing on with releasing games on PC and it's kind of a cool thing that more Japanese developers are getting into PC ports following them. Square also publishes a lot of fairly solid titles.

But it's true that in general a lot of developers that in the past were basically the cornerstone of people's childhood, like Capcom, are like waist deep in garbage now. Capcom kind of did the Konami thing for a bit, what with letting Clover go and dropping all their fresh new and interesting IPs go because they didn't sell as much when compared to their mainstays like Streetfighter and Resident Evil. Then they went on to piss Nintendo off by breaking their exclusivity deal, release a bunch of DLC cash grab fighting games and RE 6 and just kill Megaman all together.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

On June 12, the order was executed and Lackman’s premises were searched for more than 16 hours. For nine hours he was interrogated and effectively denied his right to remain silent since non-cooperation with an Anton Piller order amounts to contempt of court. The Court’s stated aim of not intimidating Lackman failed.

The TVAddons operator informs TorrentFreak that he heard a disturbance in the hallway outside and spotted several men hiding on the other side of the door. Fearing for his life, Lackman called the police and when they arrived he opened the door. At this point, the police were told by those in attendance to leave, despite Lackman’s protests.

Once inside, Lackman was told he had an hour to find a lawyer, but couldn’t use any electronic device to get one. Throughout the entire day, Lackman says he was reminded by the plaintiffs’ lawyer that he could be held in contempt of court and jailed, even though he was always cooperating.

“I had to sit there and not leave their sight. I was denied access to medication,” Lackman told TorrentFreak. “I had a doctor’s appointment I was forced to miss. I wasn’t even allowed to call and cancel.”

So basically it's legal for corporations in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc, to carry out home invasions and the police will do nothing to stop them from falsely imprisoning you and ransacking your home.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

C.M. Kruger posted:

So basically it's legal for corporations in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc, to carry out home invasions and the police will do nothing to stop them from falsely imprisoning you and ransacking your home.

Luckily only the police can do those things to you here in the US.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I like how you don't even need context for this one unlike some previous bullshit

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

I like how you don't even need context for this one unlike some previous bullshit

I need some context.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/i/moments/895379101585883136

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/895358655905792001

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Has any president in history been so trolled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Has any president in history been so trolled?

I mean, his own tweet history trolls him from the past all the time.