Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

does anyone have a charged dash build guide or build link?

No but you can watch me do merciless Izaro poorly using charged dash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0yGh_m_qw Zizaran is doing a version with spark which may be (probably is) better. (I tried it but without the threshold jewel and not really speced for it) https://www.twitch.tv/zizaran

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So my SRS + Zombies Necro Witch is still going pretty strong, though I'm still squishy and resorting to Purity of Elements.

Just cleared Cruel Labyrinth and got Beacon of Corruption so my skulls and zombies explode in caustic clouds for 10% max HP per second damage. Looking at PoE DB for health values and factoring in my bonuses, my skulls have about 2.7k, so each skull's explosion cloud will do 270 DPS. Given I have a billion skulls everywhere, this is pretty snazzy with the large amount of fart clouds produced.

Which leads to my question. What would a Less Duration Support on SRS theoretically do to my overall DPS numbers? I'm wondering if the sped up explosions would outweigh the loss of skull uptime for their melee hits. I'm inclined to believe it doesn't at all but I wanted to pose the question to people far more knowledgeable at the game than me.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I like monks/kung fu type characters a lot, is that something I could pull off with a scion? I see there are claw type weapons but the tree's not quite as intuitive as it is for necromancy.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So my SRS + Zombies Necro Witch is still going pretty strong, though I'm still squishy and resorting to Purity of Elements.

Just cleared Cruel Labyrinth and got Beacon of Corruption so my skulls and zombies explode in caustic clouds for 10% max HP per second damage. Looking at PoE DB for health values and factoring in my bonuses, my skulls have about 2.7k, so each skull's explosion cloud will do 270 DPS. Given I have a billion skulls everywhere, this is pretty snazzy with the large amount of fart clouds produced.

Which leads to my question. What would a Less Duration Support on SRS theoretically do to my overall DPS numbers? I'm wondering if the sped up explosions would outweigh the loss of skull uptime for their melee hits. I'm inclined to believe it doesn't at all but I wanted to pose the question to people far more knowledgeable at the game than me.

You would have gotten more dps/survivability by taking commander of darkness and mistress of sacrifice in your first two labs, and then spirit eater. Beacon of corruption is sort of an extra cherry on top of the other good ascendancies.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Can DonSlappy get an invite to the guild please.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

It's not as bad as torment league or warbands, but I gotta say I just don't think this harbinger stuff is great.

The sentiment I've heard that seems to instantly fit is that Harbinger feels like a league that already happened and was then added to the base game afterwards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I really don't get anyone who had even a sliver of thought that the 3.0 opening league will be something crazy, like Breach.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I just can't believe the loot never gets better.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

AegisP posted:

The sentiment I've heard that seems to instantly fit is that Harbinger feels like a league that already happened and was then added to the base game afterwards.

It's basically just a worse version of perandus league. Only this time the chests move around.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I found a friend

he's real and strong and big.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

DONT DO IT posted:

Please critique my Gladiator Tank variant. There are a few max block shield builds out there but they seem to require some fairly specific gear. The main thing I want to do is walk into a group of enemies and let them kill themselves via riposte, molten shell, reckoning, and tempest shield. I'm thinking I'll use static strike with fortify support. I'm not sure how much int I will need for tempest shield though. This build doesn't give me much.

I'm not expecting to reach absolute end game with this, but I would like to be able to run some maps to build up gear for new characters.

You could really use some more life nodes & less miscellaneous defense. For reference, I'm on Act 7 with a Sword & Board Blade Flurry Gladiator in Harbinger league with an end-build of something like this. Note the 225% increased life in addition to more nodes dedicated to offense. Not saying what you're doing can't work, as your tree doesn't represent your entire character, but you'll be making it difficult for yourself.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Here is my current build

Currently I'm sitting at +85% life, and at level 56 I can still facetank everything unless I'm up against a boss. Since it's been mentioned that I'm going to need WAY more life, I was wondering, where I should go from here?
  • If I move north from the resolute Technique noce towards the Zealot node, I can boost my life to +105% and get +20% chaos resistance. In total I'd have to spend 12 skill points to get to this location and take every node. Although I think the chaos resistance is awesome, it feels like a stupid idea to blow that many skill points. I should prob just work my way up to Resolute Technique and not go any further.
  • If I move south to the blood magic node I can boost my life up to 120% for 6 skill points. I lose all my mana though/spend life in its place, and apparently have 50% less mana reserved. That first part kind of scares me because I simply don't lifeleech enough, even with the berzerker path activated so far. I also don't understand the 50% less mana reserved thing and how that interacts with Blood Magic. Can anyone help explain that?
  • There's also a little anti-lifeleech node that, if taken in conjunction with the Blood Magic/Mortal Conviction path, would give me a total of +138% life for 10 points total. Seems like the best deal if I need to get my life that high. Should I go for that?

I'm a two handed dps'er with no favored weapon yet. I figure when I settle on one I can max out of one those two handed weapon trees. But are there any other things I should look out for? Should I be stacking attack speed? Or a specific ailment like bleed or stun? Would it be smarter to take more lifeleech?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

You really don't want less than 130%, probably less than 150% either. Less mana reserved means what is says on the box - with blood magic you'll be just reserving your health instead.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

One more thing, how the gently caress does crit chance work in this game? I understand the difference between global and local crit chances, but I'm a bit confused how this works with say - the Resolute Technique node vs that little grouing of nodes (Disemboweling) opposite of it that would give you "+125% increased Melee Critical Strike Chance/+60% crit strike multiplier".
Resolute Technique just makes it so you hit 100% of the time - totally easy to understand.
But with Disemboweling an dit's other nodes... to me that reads that you'll crit 100% of the time if you're not affected by an ailment that lowers your crit chance. That can't possibly be right though, correct? Because if that's true why would you not spend 5 skill points to crit 100% of the time with +60% increased damage?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You really don't want less than 130%, probably less than 150% either.

I read 140% was the minimum, though I saw it mentioned here too - so I def have to invest in something somewhere.
How do you feel about the Blood Magic node/all the poo poo I brought up with it?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pastry Mistakes posted:

One more thing, how the gently caress does crit chance work in this game? I understand the difference between global and local crit chances, but I'm a bit confused how this works with say - the Resolute Technique node vs that little grouing of nodes (Disemboweling) opposite of it that would give you "+125% increased Melee Critical Strike Chance/+60% crit strike multiplier".
Resolute Technique just makes it so you hit 100% of the time - totally easy to understand.
But with Disemboweling an dit's other nodes... to me that reads that you'll crit 100% of the time if you're not affected by an ailment that lowers your crit chance. That can't possibly be right though, correct? Because if that's true why would you not spend 5 skill points to crit 100% of the time with +60% increased damage?

That's +125% as a multiplier of your weapon's base chance to crit. So if you have a 5% base chance, you'll have 5 + (5 * 1.25) = 11.25% crit chance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Critical strike formula is skill or weapon critical strike chance added together with any +% to critical strike chance, multiplied by 100% added together with every increased critical strike chance occurrence.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Your weapons and abilities have a base crit chance which is enhanced by your increased mods added together times your more mods individually.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I read 140% was the minimum, though I saw it mentioned here too - so I def have to invest in something somewhere.
How do you feel about the Blood Magic node/all the poo poo I brought up with it?

I haven't looked at your build as I'm phone posting, but I don't think you should take Blood Magic if you can't clearly define why you must do so.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

vOv posted:

That's +125% as a multiplier of your weapon's base chance to crit. So if you have a 5% base chance, you'll have 5 + (5 * 1.25) = 11.25% crit chance.

Ah, yeah gently caress that, I'll spend the one skill point so I never miss an attack instead.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I haven't looked at your build as I'm phone posting, but I don't think you should take Blood Magic if you can't clearly define why you must do so.

I stated why pretty clearly, if I take that node section, along with the +life one adjascent to it, I'd get a total of of +138% life for 10 skill points. I also mentioned that I'm a bit worried that I might cripple myself with Blood Magic because I'm afraid I can't leech as fast as I spend.
There's also the "50% less mana reserved" thing I don't get and how that interacts with Blood Magic.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mr. Despair posted:

You would have gotten more dps/survivability by taking commander of darkness and mistress of sacrifice in your first two labs, and then spirit eater. Beacon of corruption is sort of an extra cherry on top of the other good ascendancies.

I took Commander on my first lab since I'm using a Victario's Influence for super auras. It was a great DPS increase.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I stated why pretty clearly, if I take that node section, along with the +life one adjascent to it, I'd get a total of of +138% life for 10 skill points. I also mentioned that I'm a bit worried that I might cripple myself with Blood Magic because I'm afraid I can't leech as fast as I spend.
There's also the "50% less mana reserved" thing I don't get and how that interacts with Blood Magic.
Well, what I'm getting at is that you don't take BM if you are not sure about it. Sure, extra HP plan is good, but "maybe it'll cripple me" is a solid no. As for less mana reserved, I already told you above. If a skill reserves 25% mana, then it will reserve 12.5% life.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DemonMage posted:

It's to condense poo poo so you can focus on the sections that are important to you. There's no way to create a table of contents and sublink that I'm aware of, or they might just do that. Which is why the Scorching Ray build above doesn't bother with a build thread and makes a google doc instead I imagine to help with that kind of problem. Of course then you don't have build feedback which can be very helpful for new builds that wind up not being as good as they claim, or builds that invalidated in a future patch. Or more likely a poo poo ton of useless posting that the build creator doesn't feel like wading through.

Basically it's a kludgy hack for trying to make a more clean post because there's no solution that's good for every problem.

Unless they changed it it's because the word limit on posts is quite low, but each spoiler has its own limit, so by spoilering you can create posts that are significantly over the supposed word limit

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

My Gimmick Name posted:

I found this guide pretty newbie like myself friendly for necromongering around.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1862209

Oooh, thanks very much. This is just what I needed!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Ah, yeah gently caress that, I'll spend the one skill point so I never miss an attack instead.

The extra life from the nodes gated behind BM is about 35% increased. A typical build will have something along the lines of 180% increased. It's really not a lot in comparison.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Trebuchet King posted:

I like monks/kung fu type characters a lot, is that something I could pull off with a scion? I see there are claw type weapons but the tree's not quite as intuitive as it is for necromancy.

Unarmed has two options with Facebreakers (either Totems or regular AoE attacks), claws means you path towards Shadow area (so maybe play an AssSlayer?). Take the Life Wheel, VP and idk something like Frostblades and the 40% conversion nodes at Ranger? Should play itself with a Touch of Anguish.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Don't forget Doryani's Fist for unarmed.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

vOv posted:

The extra life from the nodes gated behind BM is about 35% increased. A typical build will have something along the lines of 180% increased. It's really not a lot in comparison.

After buying those nodes (plus another branch near me) I'll be sitting at +138% life. Right now I'm at a measily +85% @ level 56. Part of my logic is that I'll simply have to figure out how to find more, everything else seems really out of the way from where I am on the map. I noticed there was a massive cluster near the scion tree I could trek too, but apparently grabbing an ascendancy path covered up all those nodes so I can't even see them now.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You can hide that drawer by clicking the little arrow at the base of it.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Got a 6S belly and couldn't 6L it, but got a 5L with the colors I need, so overall a good evening. Got to lv81 and now have 5.6k HP. DW sunder glad trudging onward through maps.

That's my POE story, thanks for reading.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pastry Mistakes posted:

After buying those nodes (plus another branch near me) I'll be sitting at +138% life. Right now I'm at a measily +85% @ level 56. Part of my logic is that I'll simply have to figure out how to find more, everything else seems really out of the way from where I am on the map. I noticed there was a massive cluster near the scion tree I could trek too, but apparently grabbing an ascendancy path covered up all those nodes so I can't even see them now.

Post your tree. (Go to pathofexile.com, log in, click your character name, then click 'passive tree' and post the URL here).

The thing about the blood magic node is that if you take it then whatever auras you use will run off your life as well. Even with the 50% reservation reduction that'll probably still just wind up getting rid of the extra +35% you get from the BM nodes.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

..btt posted:

Just to reiterate for the newbies playing this league: SSF is basically a challenge mode for people who are very knowledgeable about the game. Not trading, even if it's just buying a few cheap items, makes your life significantly harder and some builds basically impossible. If you're new it's a pretty terrible idea. Fortunately you can leave it and join the regular harbinger leagues at will so it's not the end of the world if you started not realising that.

Yeah, it's just that the economy is another system that needs to be learned. I have 2 chaos orbs now, and I don't know what should I do with them - that's why I'd like to use a SSF-functional build. Went with the ED one, it's kinda hilarious how it kills entire monster groups in 3 ticks - the first dotted monster, the second group, and finally everyone else.

Char fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 10, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Buying and selling items is fine but trying to find someone trading in currency is absurd. Is there anyone here I can buy some jeweller's off of?

edit: Now i need fusings..

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Just popping in to say gently caress act 10 and those instagib enemies. That poo poo is infuriating.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Missionary Positron posted:

Just popping in to say gently caress act 10 and those instagib enemies. That poo poo is infuriating.
Fix your poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Buying and selling items is fine but trying to find someone trading in currency is absurd. Is there anyone here I can buy some jeweller's off of?

I always trade with people that have the API showing their exact inventory. It's always annoying to do like a 100-200 jewelers/fusings/chrome deal with a guy that has a good ratio only to find out they have 57 in stock. So that means I get a likely worse ratio but I know that the person has what I want.

sushibandit posted:

you working off a published build or playing it by ear? this sounds amusing and the skill itself looks interesting

I'm mostly going by ear, but I can publish a build later today.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

click the currency market tab on poe.trades main page

i swear all those guys are bots cuz they trade instantly on like a level 3 char

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Currency is pretty simple to buy. Go to currency.poe.trade (also accessible through the button at the top of poe.trade) pick the currency you want, the currency you have and then pick the person with a huge stock that has a slightly lower rate than the best. They'll be the flippers and so they usually respond pretty quickly.

If you're wanting to move large volumes of currency, set up your own sell.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Pastry Mistakes posted:

shoot for this

it looks like the dps here is low, but actually the three jewel sockets can make up for a lot. with the right skills and gear this character will handle yellow tier maps fine, this is a really good starting point for a new player. And don't worry too much about the 30 stat nodes you took. You can spec out of those later on.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Of the various scorching ray/righteous fire builds going around, which would you say is the "best" ascendancy class for it?

Berserk for 40% more damage good attack speed and warcrys replacing the need for life flasks?
Chieftain for the highest health regen stacking endurance charges and 10% more strength for using Doon Cuebiyari?
Inquisitor for consecrated ground bonuses and more attack/cast speed while moving around and easy MoM access?
Guardian? though I know less about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 10, 2017