Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

How the heck are you supposed to transport him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I like him, but again, he suffers from the same thing as the death guard troops. Too much detail obscuring the form, not enough little detail for things like texture. Mortarion is actually quite a bit better in this regard and would be perfectly fine if he lost the robes trailing down from his hood and either side of his legs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the hitech bootleg looks better somehow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

panascope posted:

How the heck are you supposed to transport him?

Same as Magnus; you cradle him in your arms like a gentle baby.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Same as Magnus; you cradle him in your arms like a gentle baby.

Transport him in your Citadel branded carseat

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Store him in the backroom at the gaming store you work at :smug: then drop and break him anyway because you're a butter-fingered, ham-handed dipshit :negative:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
There's always this one:

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

I thought the image was a John Blanche painting the first few times I saw it.

http://convertorum.blogspot.com/p/blanche-gallery.html

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
or this one

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nah man those other knock off ones look like poo poo.

e: the one kung fu gently caress posted looks worse than the first one.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

Nah man those other knock off ones look like poo poo.
:same:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

That's awful.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Archfather Mortimer, Jesus they're not trying very hard there are they?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

panascope posted:

Archfather Mortimer, Jesus they're not trying very hard there are they?

hes been for sale for over 4 years now. their website is chock full of hilarious notgw stuff

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

goose willis posted:

lmao who got me the new avatar this is great

Oh is it???

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

Oh is it???

why are you following me :tinfoil:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm of two minds re: the Mortarian model.

On one hand I think it's generally pretty good, but on the other I think they need to lose a few of the dangly bits, use a darker green for the armour and lose the purple.

When I first saw the purple and the shape of the purple smoke thing above his head I immediately wondered why there was Tzeentch iconography on this nurgle model :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

But everyone should ignore my opinion because I prefer minimarines to bigmars

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

No, you are correct and I will fight alongside you. :c00lbert:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Endman posted:

There are dozens of us!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

No, you are correct and I will fight alongside you. :c00lbert:

:vomarine::respek::vomarine:

Also this is my favourite new (ish) GW model:

Good example of a cool, detailed model that isn't too oversaturated by junk.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh my god, the angle of the middle one makes his face look like he's doing Rodney Dangerfield's yell the punchline out the side of his mouth and giving you a thumbs up with his left hand.

"Hey everybody! We're all gonna get purged!"

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I wonder how much of the overdesigned garbage aesthetic is there to try to combat recasters

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muggins posted:

I wonder how much of the overdesigned garbage aesthetic is there to try to combat recasters

People get mad when we complain about chaos balance but people post like this and everybody's cool with it?

Funny thread.

No dude details are just cool and can make it easier to paint sick looking dudes. If you're not going to have much detail its also harder to justify GW's prices. Lots of people like it so its not nearly as simple as "garbage overdesigned aesthetic"; but sure just dismiss everybody who doesn't share your opinion.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Bombogenesis posted:

Everyone in this thread is the worst poster.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

:vomarine::respek::vomarine:

Also this is my favourite new (ish) GW model:

Good example of a cool, detailed model that isn't too oversaturated by junk.
Yeah, the Ahriman revamp is basically a perfect example of how to revisit old models. It's even got the little fireball or whatever from the original Jes Goodwin concept art.

The new Kharn model is solid too, but I love the new Ahriman. I'm totally going to pick up one eventually even though I don't play Thousand Sons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love the new Ahriman and I want the new sculpt (to complete my set, since I have the old one and the 30k one) but I'm not letting myself buy any more chaos models until the thousand sons codex comes out.

For the time being I have enough nids to finish painting and I've been procrastinating.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of people like it so its not nearly as simple as "garbage overdesigned aesthetic";
No, it really is that simple. I'm sorry you have bad taste, but there it is. :shrug:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
New Mortarion sucks because his head/face sculpt looks near indistinguishable from the other new Plague Boys and he should take have something more distinct going on instead of a generic cowl and gas mask. He should have the high gorget for huffing guys farts instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

New Mortarion sucks because his head/face sculpt looks near indistinguishable from the other new Plague Boys and he should take have something more distinct going on instead of a generic cowl and gas mask. He should have the high gorget for huffing guys farts instead.

If its anything like Magnus he'll come with 3 options for heads. Hopefully one is just an exposed face, yeah.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, the Ahriman revamp is basically a perfect example of how to revisit old models. It's even got the little fireball or whatever from the original Jes Goodwin concept art.

The new Kharn model is solid too, but I love the new Ahriman. I'm totally going to pick up one eventually even though I don't play Thousand Sons.

Old art best art

Endman
May 18, 2010

gently caress, I'm going to have to start a Thousand Sons army now, aren't I?

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Warp? Warp is only a word...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giiuqTdBSTc

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

If you don't like it then just keep using the loving skinny reaper or FW model or whatever jesus christ goons be gooning.

Please do not be this goony.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mortarion has the same problem tons of new GW models have, which is that the studio style is really horrible. More muted colours will make it less overwhelming.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

People get mad when we complain about chaos balance but people post like this and everybody's cool with it?

Funny thread.

No dude details are just cool and can make it easier to paint sick looking dudes. If you're not going to have much detail its also harder to justify GW's prices. Lots of people like it so its not nearly as simple as "garbage overdesigned aesthetic"; but sure just dismiss everybody who doesn't share your opinion.

There is having good detail, but more detail does not mean better.

If you need to cram every available surface with some sort of filigree or rot or bonebox then it's just throwing poo poo at a model with no restraint.

The FW Guilliman has a lot of detail, but is competently designed with a coherent look, the GW Guilliman is by someone who thinks more is more.

But sure, just dismiss everybody who doesn't share your opinion.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
So uhh aggressors are really good. 3 guys, standing next to a captain, evaporated ~10 death company in a single round of shooting twice in a row. Not sure if the aggressors are amazing or my opponent was an idiot for dropping 2x15 death company out in the open, whiffing their charges, and having his only antitank be a single missile launcher in 2000 points.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

So uhh aggressors are really good. 3 guys, standing next to a captain, evaporated ~10 death company in a single round of shooting twice in a row. Not sure if the aggressors are amazing or my opponent was an idiot for dropping 2x15 death company out in the open, whiffing their charges, and having his only antitank be a single missile launcher in 2000 points.

It's the second one.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Also some stuff being released at the FW Open Day:

I really like that custodes ship. It looks like it could actually work. They are also really nailing a very specific aesthetic for those guys, lots of Dune influence.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Mortarion has the same problem tons of new GW models have, which is that the studio style is really horrible. More muted colours will make it less overwhelming.

He's got a murky grey cowl in that art spread in the marine codex and looks better for it, dont know why they went for a different pink and purple on it here.

Another week another game, remembered to use the new things I had so managed to get 11 command points out of 7 with my warlord trait and managed to plink a few things to death with aux grenade launchers on sergeants.

Was fighting a Ynnari gunline army at 100 power but because I dont yet have enough to make that properly I needed to take a fair bit of that up with lovely filler. Would have been a very different game if I'd been able to spend the 10 power from inceptors on 2 whirlwinds and shelled him from outside his range for the entire game instead of killing a few guardians but thats something to sort for later. Redemptor was indeed a lot squishier than a contemptor but got off a reasonable amount of shooting and I look forward to using it again next week.

Going to finally pick up my repulsor and apothecary after work today which means I'll be fielding that kitted out for anti tank along with the converted primaris chaplain and apothecary next week which should be fun.