Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Is the third boss the one who got cured by Zin in First Chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Cured was a big word, but you're probably thinking of the right person, yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thinking about this trilogy, it seems to me that Kevin in Trails SC is handled in nearly the same way as Joshua was in Trails FC. Both of them were unknown quantities at the start, but gradually the layers were peeled away, revealing more of what was hidden within until at the end the mask falls away and it’s revealed what they really are.

SC was the real time for Joshua’s backstrory to come to light, and TC is the same for Kevin, although one big difference is that Joshua’s big breaking moment came at the end of FC, and TC looks to be building up to a moment of breaking Kevin. The scenes with the Lord of Phantasma at the end of Chapter 2 and Schwartzritter at the end of Chapter 3 defitely shook him. After that Ries actually implies that for the last five years (since Rufina’s death), Kevin has been trying to commit suicide-by-heretic. The “dirty jobs” he takes wouldn’t be all that dirty if he wasn’t facing those who were willing to fight to the death and had the power to back it up.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, it's also really great that right after Ries berates him for acting, he drops the act for Joshua and they have an actual conversation for the first time.

It's also the first real glimpse we have behind the curtain at who Kevin really is.

The impression I got was that at the same time, Kevin also does what he always does and tries to push Joshua away. Kevin tells Joshua that he did nothing to stop Estelle’s abduction, and he also tells him that him tagging along with the party was only to get close to Weissman, nothing more. He was trying to push Joshua away, but he wouldn’t go.

- Anyway, I've just finished Anelace's (first?) Star door. That's one powerful weapon. Thanks to this LP/thread for the tip that Anelace does poor damage without keeping spamming Petal Dance up at all times. That let me beat Richard, even though I was foolish enough to use Petal Dance at the start of my first turn, even though I suspected Richard would lead off with his S-Craft. I spent all my CP on Petal Dance and other crafts, and didn't bother trying to use Piercing Wave.
- Oh and also thanks to the LP for the tip to press the Balstar Channel levers in the wrong direction first. I would have missed that.
- Given the decaying St. Croix forest, I'm preparing for the boss to use Deathblow.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The impression I got was that at the same time, Kevin also does what he always does and tries to push Joshua away. Kevin tells Joshua that he did nothing to stop Estelle’s abduction, and he also tells him that him tagging along with the party was only to get close to Weissman, nothing more. He was trying to push Joshua away, but he wouldn’t go.

That scene was probably one of my favorites in the game for that reason.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Joshua little smile, saying "I know all of that, and I don't care. I'm still grateful." Is an absolutely magical line. I don't think I've ever seen anything similar in a work of fiction. And it's a great sign of Estelle's charming power too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Schera moon door is pretty great. But I got tired after the sewers and had to take a break. Even though I did check all the dialogue in east block after leaving Edel's, I managed to completely miss all the Nial/Dorothy scenes. Oh well.
- Schera is even worse at customer relations than Estelle was, heh.
- It's a little tedious going through an entire dungeon with only two crafts and normal attacks available. That said, while this seemed like a boring tour guide at first, Schera certainly handled it acceptably well on her own to make it qualify as a good enough quest for promotion.
- It's kinda funny that the game made a big deal about a dangerous monster in the west block sewers that Schera made a big deal about wanting to take out, and then we don't fight it? We did like the entire sewers except for just a little part of the west block.
- ...And I think I better go back and finish getting to 200 CP. I didn't quite make it. EDIT: I'm level 13, which is the same level Schera is 5 levels later when she's a C-rank senior bracer in Rolent.
- In General Morgan's house, we see the parents of little Rianne. In FC and SC, they are absent, but Rianne is there alone, no mention of her parents. I wonder if some quiet tragedy happened unmentioned offscreen.
- I missed Dorothy in the West Block too? How did that happen? I went everywhere. Is that because I missed her earlier? I guess so. Sheesh. Well I'm not replaying this. It's a pain.
- That was a tough battle. In the preliminary, I missed twice with preemptive attacks, burning two precious turns, which meant I needed to spend my first turn in the final battle healing with a Tear Balm. That fight was still tough. I had to use my S-Break at less than 200 CP because I didn't have the time and health to heal both myself and Aina.
- I didn't leave the uncle awake.
- Honestly I think it is possible for people to be TOO kind, and Liberl has a serious case of forgiving people who haven't shown any cause to deserve it. I can see letting the Weissman-mind-controlled people and special forces off, but a lot of others get forgiven a little too easily.

- I have to wonder if Junior Bracers sometimes get their recommendations based less on the merits of their work and more after the other guild members wanting to pawn them off on the next branch. The implication is that Kurt knew enough of the real story the whole time, but I'm not sure, because if he did he sure put the lives of Aina and Schera at risk by letting them wander off on their own.

- Since this is also Aina's story, something I've wondered about guild receptionists is that most are so young. You would expect that they would mostly be older, retired bracers who are a little too old for field work, but still want to be a part of the guild. I guess maybe some are, but most seem to be young. Which seems a little odd, because I don't think that they were ever combat-trained bracers, but they're judging the potential dangers and final results of bracers missions. What kind of training do they get to be able to understand that if they've never done missions themselves?

- On the one hand, I think the New Grimsel Fortress is much more suitably complex for an advanced training course than the lame linear and boring version Estelle used.
- On the other hand, gently caress Grimsel Fortress. I got lost so much and had to backtrack so much through the light-bridge segment. And now I need to find night-vision goggles to continue, and I don't remember seeing any in chests or in a Monument-O-Vend.
- Oh, they were past the monster. I made it past, even though I have over 300 battles and no retreats.

- Goddamn it, Japan. I know that neither Agate nor Tita think of each other in that way, but please do not have your cast members shipping a 25-year old with a 13-YEAR-OLD. That's not cute, it's loving CREEPY. Normal brains shouldn't think that's okay. I am so NOT looking forward to Agate and Tita appearing in Cold Steel 3.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 10, 2017

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

That reminds me, do we ever see Ridge (the Rolent portraitless bracer) or hear what happened to him after SC? Fighting endless waves of killer crabs without orbments does deserve some recognition.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Since this is also Aina's story, something I've wondered about guild receptionists is that most are so young. You would expect that they would mostly be older, retired bracers who are a little too old for field work, but still want to be a part of the guild. I guess maybe some are, but most seem to be young. Which seems a little odd, because I don't think that they were ever combat-trained bracers, but they're judging the potential dangers and final results of bracers missions. What kind of training do they get to be able to understand that if they've never done missions themselves?

You mean like Lugran?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- Goddamn it, Japan. I know that neither Agate nor Tita think of each other in that way, but please do not have your cast members shipping a 25-year old with a 13-YEAR-OLD. That's not cute, it's loving CREEPY. Normal brains shouldn't think that's okay. I am so NOT looking forward to Agate and Tita appearing in Cold Steel 3.

Well, Agate doesn't at least. Tita definitely harbors a schoolgirl crush on Agate, though she's still too innocent and sheltered in the Sky games to want to take it beyond "eating ice cream together".

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They aren't even shipping them for real, they say that poo poo because they know how much it annoys Agate and confuses Tita. It's the same with Alfin and Elise in Cold Steel.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erpy posted:

Well, Agate doesn't at least. Tita definitely harbors a schoolgirl crush on Agate, though she's still too innocent and sheltered in the Sky games to want to take it beyond "eating ice cream together".

Besides.... how many years pass between The Third and CS3? At least 3-4, considering Rean is going to be 20 in the latter and he was 16-17 in the original CS.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Junpei posted:

Besides.... how many years pass between The Third and CS3? At least 3-4, considering Rean is going to be 20 in the latter and he was 16-17 in the original CS.

About three. Tita's 16 in CS3 while she was 13 in 3rd. I'm curious if she retained that crush or if she sees him more as a big brother now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Erpy posted:

About three. Tita's 16 in CS3 while she was 13 in 3rd. I'm curious if she retained that crush or if she sees him more as a big brother now.

This is Japan, the answer to that question is self-evident.

Though Falcom could surprise us, who knows?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is Japan, the answer to that question is self-evident.

Though Falcom could surprise us, who knows?
its not. the japanese are people.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The Rais/Deen/Rocco dungeon was okay. Not spectacular, but okay. Their crafts all do no damage, which encourages you to use them to work as a team, buffing the next guy and healing the wounded guy. I completely forgot about the food and pretty much never used it. I found that the STR UP buff was okay, but only if you could use it on the person going next. The only KO the whole dungeon was the first battle where the blade fang attacked the same person twice in a row. I handled the Agate fight the same way, buffing people whose turn was next and healing weak guys while keeping the DEF down debuff on him. I was actually expecting there to be a trick at the end where the real test was to save a civilian or some other bracer-like challenge.

- There is no redeeming the Erika story. I get what they’re going for, they’re trying to exaggerate the “overprotective parent” story, then keep on exaggerating it, then do more exaggerating, and then EX-to-the-A-to the-GG-erating it. But they took it past the point where it would be funny to the point where you genuinely believe the woman should be locked up in a rubber room with a straightjacket. I think the worst part is that we already know that this flashback is a huge waste of time, because it is not going to change Erika in the slightest. We’ve already seen her later on in the cathedral, still on another psychotic rant. But I think I better stop here before this turns into a psychotic rant of my own.

Some Numbers posted:

You mean like Lugran?

I am aware of Lugran. I said that MOST seem to be young. I think 4/5 being young counts as "most".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 10, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
At least we know from Cold Steel III that Agate is still alive after all this time and probably in better shape than ever.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I dunno, the scene where Agate headpats Tita and time freezes is maybe the hardest I've ever laughed at this series given how CS1/2 treat headpats.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Zaggitz posted:

I dunno, the scene where Agate headpats Tita and time freezes is maybe the hardest I've ever laughed at this series given how CS1/2 treat headpats.

Falcom seems fully aware of this.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

Falcom seems fully aware of this.

I've been playing through Trails of High School, but I haven't quite gotten to the harem point yet. I'm sure it's coming up soon. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I've been playing through Trails of High School, but I haven't quite gotten to the harem point yet. I'm sure it's coming up soon. :v:

You haven't even reached the tutorials yet?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Rabbi Raccon's little comment that the Agate boss battle in Chapter 4 "has the feel of an end-of-chapter battle" actually made me catch on that it wasn’t, and I remembered that that Chapter was called “The Dark Stigma”, and there hadn’t been any reference to that nor any resolution to the Ries-Kevin fight.

- I had Zane and his A-DEF down as my support. The Chapter 4 boss hurt a bunch and I had no Grail Sphere or Lietkreis to sandbag, so it was tough (I did have Schera and La Tearal on her and Kevin, though). I took out the first set of vanish-causing adds using Agate and Joshua’s S-Crafts (I had to use Agate, he was at low health. But the boss spawned in another one which vanished Agate before I unleashed a 200 CP + Critical Turn Spear of Roa on the boss. Like 20k damage, but I think that’s because it hit the boss’s big Time weakness. Agate seemed to get full XP from the battle and he wasn’t behind in levels anyway so that was fine.

- Kevin told Loewe in SC that Rufina died “in an accident”. …I think that the accident was Kevin’s “Spear of Loa” manifesting and catching her (okay in fairness, the fact that the LP showed an animated .GIF of what was a brief flash showing her with what looks like spears in her back makes this easier to guess at this point than it would be normally). The church was thrilled and saw his power worthy of instant promotion, but Kevin just felt overwhelming guilt. So, unable or unwilling to break his oath to the church, and with Selnate unwilling to kill him, he decided to find a loophole – he would try to commit sucide-by-Heretic.

- Oh. How nasty. The Fifth plane has stopped playing around. So far I've met at least three different enemies who can each use a different crippling status effect. I guess I'll need to change my equipment before each fight. Maybe bringing only beatsticks Agate and Tita with Estelle and Ries as the only "casters" is a poor idea.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just as long as they don't reverse your controls they can mirror all they like.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

You haven't even reached the tutorials yet?

Point made and taken, but not everyone is crushing on the main character yet. :v:

I'm actually well into Chapter 4, and some of the callbacks are... interesting.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
"Investigate one of the six gates that manipulate the flow of the iron river, then shall you obtain radiance."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, my party is now 16 strong, including Kevin who is out cold. …I’m just guessing here, but I suspect at some point, I’ll need to make FOUR parties, lead by Kevin, Reis, Estelle, and Joshua. I’d better go harvest a bunch more Sepith, because Tier 3 Quartz have started to appear in monuments, and my Sepith counts are all sub 3000. FEDIT: Man even having a good Shining Pom location, and using Josette as support, getting 300 sepith each time, shining poms appear so rarely that it'll be a huge pain. I'll put this off until before the 6th plane boss.

I think I’ll give up on the idea of farming powerful weapons from Grimoires, the drop rate seems to be too low even with Estelle wearing the Fortune Quartz.

I beat Halle my first time, although THREE TIMES during the hand I hit on a 12 and busted (once she also busted). I won the last two hands to come from behind. I beat Jack my second time, although that is underselling it since it took about 30 hands to win. It was back and forth. Several times I was down to my last star, a couple times I was up to 5 stars, once I was up to 6 stars, but I eventually nailed it with a full house and a doubled-down bet.

Okay, Chapter 5 finished. I didn’t have much trouble with the boss. I didn’t bother preparing to nullify debuffs on half my party because I had no idea what to expect anyway. I did have Estelle and Reis wearing mirage rings just because of the poltergeists, and they were the only ones who got hit with petrify except for Richard, but I cured that immediately.

I also did Star Door 8 before the boss. I Heart Divine Gem. It does the jobs of so many other gems. I put it in Estelle’s center slot (and then into Kevin's second). Zigma’s nastiest move in my opinion is the health-sucking one, because it eats a lot of health. I ended up spamming Dark Matter because it was a lot stronger than even La Forte physicals. I finished Zigma off with a 200 CP S-Craft from Richard.

I think I'll start out exploring Plane 6 with Team Mandatory Character (Kevin, Reis, Estelle, Joshua).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

It doesn't matter to her - she wants to polish her own bright stick. :v:

I'm slowly reading through this thread as I do my own playthrough (just finished Chapter 2) and I came across this gem of a post

On a related note, are the crossbell games going to be translated at some point? There's been quite a few references to it so far in this game

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
There's currently a fan translation of Zero no Kiseki in the editing phase. There's a leaked pre-editing prototype floating around the web, though it's not something I'd recommend playing due to how rough and overly literal the translation is. As far as official news, there's still nothing. XSeed's recently commissioned a PC port of Ys Seven, also originally a PSP game just like the Crossbell duology, so the issue with licensing Joyoland's stuff shouldn't be a show-stopper anymore. The sheer script size possibly is though. Hopefully the Cold Steel ports (and possibly the additional Trails in the Sky sales it might encourage) will eventually convince XSeed to take the plunge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I've heard, the Crossbell saga is so huge because unlike Sky or Cold Steel, the story is based around the city. Which means basically the entirety of Crossbell NPC's update their text after every half hour.

I'm also looking forward to how casual trails fans will handle Cold Steel 3, because CS has heavily ramped up references to Crossbell to the point that it's actually a 5 game series, not a trilogy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm also looking forward to how casual trails fans will handle Cold Steel 3, because CS has heavily ramped up references to Crossbell to the point that it's actually a 5 game series, not a trilogy.
you keep saying this and it keeps not being true

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Crossbell runs simultaneously during Coldsteel to the point that events bounce between the games and assumes you know what's happening on the other side. Unless you have some other definition you're fighting against me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
CS3 isn't out yet, so we can't really say.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Do you even have anything to back this poo poo up besides "I think this is how it must be so it must be right"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I've heard rumors that in cs3, you'll play as the Crossbell team for a little bit?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Minor Crossbell and Cold Steel 3 spoilers

Two characters who join your party in the Crossbell games are major characters in what's been revealed of Cold Steel 3 and one of them, is even shown in a battle screenshot indicating she's playable or at least temporarily playable. One of the villains of the Crossbell games is going to be prominent too based on revealed screenshots.

However I don't think the Crossbell stuff will be as large as you think though. I'm predicting maybe the prologue will involve Crossbell and then you revisit it near the end of the game in the second last chapter or something, to coincide with the epilogue of Ao but most of the game seems to be strictly based on west Erebonia in all of the locations Rean didn't visit in the first two Cold Steel games.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 12, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As someone that only played the steel games, there was one particular scene in cs2 that was a Huge Threat that was then taken care off off screen. The only explanation I found out afterwards was that it was something in the crossbell games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

As someone that only played the steel games, there was one particular scene in cs2 that was a Huge Threat that was then taken care off off screen. The only explanation I found out afterwards was that it was something in the crossbell games.
as someone that only played the steel games first, that scene played out totally fine. plenty of things in this series happen outside the protagonist's field of view.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this floor turned out way short, so have a Star Door too

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 13, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You can actually return to the place Pater Mater was before completing this door and there'll be a short cutscene if Renne's in the party.

A nice touch in the Pater Mater report is the part where they point out that due to its intense mass, it's nearly impossible for its legs to support it, which is also how the party disables it at the Axis Pillar in SC. The Zemurian Surgeon General warns: having a gigantic killer droid hooked into your nervous system can be hazardous to your health. That list of previous test subjects who all either ended up dead, comatose, nuts or a basket case is another example of this game containing some dark poo poo. I wonder if Renne's talent for metnal dissociation when under duress had something to do with the fact that she was able to make it through the connection process without...welll...going more insane than she already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

You can actually return to the place Pater Mater was before completing this door and there'll be a short cutscene if Renne's in the party.

Huh, I never knew that.

• Locked thread