Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

He won't. He needs all his piss for the compost pile to make black powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

that ivy guy posted:

"Pollution was so heavy at the mouth of the wastewater canal, a figure of 2 kg of mercury per ton of sediment was measured: a level that would be economically viable to mine. Indeed, Chisso did later set up a subsidiary to reclaim and sell the mercury recovered from the sludge.[17]"

If I could write up a proposal for a 2000g/t Hg mine with limited beneficiation required, on or near the surface, my bosses would draft a press release and crack out the champagne.

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Aug 2, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that ivy guy posted:

"Pollution was so heavy at the mouth of the wastewater canal, a figure of 2 kg of mercury per ton of sediment was measured: a level that would be economically viable to mine. Indeed, Chisso did later set up a subsidiary to reclaim and sell the mercury recovered from the sludge.[17]"

:piaa:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

that ivy guy posted:

For reference, 1 ton of sand is two thirds of a cubic meter.

Memento posted:

If I could write up a proposal for a 2000g/t Mg mine with limited beneficiation required, on or near the surface, my bosses would draft a press release and crack out the champagne.

That's great, but what about mercury? :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GWBBQ posted:

For reference, 1 ton of sand is two thirds of a cubic meter.

That's great, but what about mercury? :v:

Yeah I spotted that one myself well after the fact.

Anyway, it's fine, it's just a little HCl

'Little boom explosions' heard as hydrochloric acid tanker erupts in flames on Pacific Motorway

Mostly disappointed out of this in discovering that the Logan Hyperdome isn't some manner of two-man-enter-one-man-leave blood pit, and in fact is a regular suburban shopping centre.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Memento posted:

Mostly disappointed out of this in discovering that the Logan Hyperdome isn't some manner of two-man-enter-one-man-leave blood pit, and in fact is a regular suburban shopping centre.

Black Friday is still a thing.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
A mall shouldn't be allowed to have a name that cool.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's how things are named these days. If I had to guess before knowing, I'd say the Logan Hyperdome was a shopping centre on the south Irish coast with 10 shops, a Burger King and a 3 screen cinema

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Kingston Mall in Kingston, MA was renamed to the incredibly goofy-sounding "Kingston Collection".

I guess technically it is a collection of stores.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Memento posted:

Mostly disappointed out of this in discovering that the Logan Hyperdome isn't some manner of two-man-enter-one-man-leave blood pit
Every person to enter has to dress like their favorite version of Wolverine.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

"Wolverine goes to thunderdome, results are predictably bloody" doesn't make for good cinema :v:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Memento posted:

If you knew the Logan area, you'd appreciate how close to the mark you actually are. If someone told me they had a bare-knuckle fist fighting ring there sponsored by a company that sold premixed rum and cola, I'd believe it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Yawgmoth posted:

What if your favorite version is Laura Kinney?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

German woman mistakes WW2 white phosphorus for amber

quote:

A German woman narrowly escaped injury after picking up an object she believed to be amber but which then spontaneously combusted.

She had plucked the small object from wet sand by the Elbe river near Hamburg and put it in a pocket of her jacket, which she laid on a bench.

Bystanders soon alerted the 41-year-old to the fact her jacket was ablaze.

The stone was actually white phosphorus, which had reacted with the air as it dried.

Police say the two are easily confused.

They are warning local beachcombers to collect amber in tins, saying pieces of phosphorus dropped in incendiary bombs by the Allies in World War Two still wash up.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I've heard that this is happens with sulfur mustard, as it is very chemically stable. When barrels or munitions disposed of at sea finally corrode through, it gels and leaks out into little lumps that look like pieces of amber. I've never read a story that started with someone picking up what looks like a piece of amber washed ashore that ended happily.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Syd Midnight posted:

I've heard that this is happens with sulfur mustard, as it is very chemically stable. When barrels or munitions disposed of at sea finally corrode through, it gels and leaks out into little lumps that look like pieces of amber. I've never read a story that started with someone picking up what looks like a piece of amber washed ashore that ended happily.

Still happens around the New England coast, too: http://archive.boston.com/news/science/articles/2010/06/09/weapons_are_common_catch_fishermen_say/

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the military lose a nuclear bomb in the Carolina region?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Randaconda posted:

Didn't the military lose a nuclear bomb in the Carolina region?

Two!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Here's a good doco that talks about many such incidents, narrated by Adam West of all people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFSefIsZkc

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Randaconda posted:

Holy poo poo. :staredog:

I mean, they found one of them! (They know the location of the other, it's buried in a field somewhere, but when they dig down to it, they hit groundwater and it's really hard to extract it.)

The Air Force bought the land where the bomb is and put a fence around it. Occasionally, they go and test the soil and water to make sure it's not leaking any radioactive material.

There's another one lost somewhere off the coast of Georgia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_mid-air_collision

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CellBlock posted:

I mean, they found one of them! (They know the location of the other, it's buried in a field somewhere, but when they dig down to it, they hit groundwater and it's really hard to extract it.)

The Air Force bought the land where the bomb is and put a fence around it. Occasionally, they go and test the soil and water to make sure it's not leaking any radioactive material.

There's another one lost somewhere off the coast of Georgia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_mid-air_collision

Yeah, I don't think there are any that "lost", meaning "Well we looked between the cushions. We also looked in the freezer, because hey, if you don't check you'll never know".

More like "we *know* where they are, but they are either physically inaccessible, too expensive to recover, or a mix of both".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean my dad put his glasses in the freezer once. You never know.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CellBlock posted:

Surprised they don't just do that thing they do with Northern diamond mines where they do a ring of piles around it and freeze the ground water and dig it up.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If there's enough water, they might be worried that the ice expansion cracking the shell/internals? Or damage to it getting the equipment in place?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
From an end of life cycle point of view, you can only really dream of burying nuclear material. To extract something from the ground or ocean to just stick it in a warehouse to watch it is kind of backwards so in situ monitoring is what they are going to go for if it's at all allowed and can be spun by saying the extraction is more dangerous than anything they'd gain by locking it up in hot storage for a century.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
If anyone is interested in the terminology of nuclear weapon incidents, here is a relevant Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_nuclear_incident_terminology

It has a list of Broken Arrow incidents, including the ones discussed here, as well as some code words you never want to hear, like Empty Quiver.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yet not as scary as the quiver full movement.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cichlidae posted:

some code words you never want to hear, like Empty Quiver.

Which is the technical term for the events in that Slater/Travolta movie.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Cichlidae posted:

If anyone is interested in the terminology of nuclear weapon incidents, here is a relevant Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_nuclear_incident_terminology

It has a list of Broken Arrow incidents, including the ones discussed here, as well as some code words you never want to hear, like Empty Quiver.

Or Nucflash. That would be unpleasant.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hearing NucFlash would be positively chilling. And then it would hit you.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I wonder how many nuclear weapons Russia/USSR lost in similar ways? Probably a few, but they seem less forthcoming about the incidents.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think the main culprit for nukes leaving the hands of the USSR was them being stationed in places like Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Belarus when the Union dissolved.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Computer viking posted:

I wonder how many nuclear weapons Russia/USSR lost in similar ways? Probably a few, but they seem less forthcoming about the incidents.

They lost at least two of their nuclear generators for their lighthouses. Obviously that's not weapons-grade, but it'd still be useful if someone wanted to contaminate a wide area.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The lighthouse generators are Strontium-90 RTGs. You could make an extremely primitive dirty bomb with it, but it would probably be more annoying to clean up than lethal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The main cause of deaths from a jury-rigged radiological weapon wouldn't be cancer, it'd be the panic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Probably a lot since it's Russia.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Memento posted:

I think the main culprit for nukes leaving the hands of the USSR was them being stationed in places like Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Belarus when the Union dissolved.

And nobody's used them, and probably also hasn't maintained them, so they're past their use by dates (Russian nukes have a shelf life of 12-15 years). If somebody isn't periodically replacing the explosive charges the bomb might as well be a radioactive paperweight.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cichlidae posted:

Wikipedia, who is never wrong posted:

Pinnacle
Pinnacle is a Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff OPREP-3 (Operational Event/Incident Report) reporting flagword used in the United States National Command Authority structure. The term "Pinnacle" denotes an incident of interest to the Major Commands, Department of Defense and National Command Authority, in that it:

Generates a higher level of military action
Causes a national reaction
Affects international relationships
Causes immediate widespread coverage in news media
Is clearly against the national interest
Affects current national policy

Man, that just sounds like a Trump tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

In response to the US PGS initiative Russia went all-in on nuclear ICBM development in 2009 and have started building the RS-28 Sarmat super-heavy ICBM platform which can deliver 10-24 MIRVs with a maximum yield of 50Mt based on throw-weight. It's approximately 1-2 years from being fielded at which point it will be the most powerful weapon ever constructed.

Because of this focus I'd assume that Russia is extremely conscious of where it's warheads and physics packages are, collapse of former Soviet bloc countries not withstanding. Then again given the number of RVs the Sarmat can lift it is capable of being an extremely dangerous weapon even with low yields as it can deploy a massive array of penaids to overwhelm most complexes, including Aegis BMD.