Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Perhaps wood panelling will be the wood panelling of the future!

Youth Decay posted:

Time for another sad remodel!

This house was built in 1930, listed as a perfectly nice 2 bedroom 2000sf bungalow for $565k in May 2016 (sold for $579k), was shat upon and resold in July of 2017 as a 4 bedroom 3760sf monstrosity for nearly $1.5 million gently caress you Denver

BEFORE

look at how cute this kitchen was :(

AFTER

these stupid skinny wooden columns uggggghhh

there's 2 more bedrooms and a bunch of fuckin bathrooms but who cares

Won't be long before all of Denver, Portland and Seattle will be filled with these things so even the upper-middle-class yuppies can't afford to live there.

But man, that garage door-- doesn't it get cold in Denver? Isn't that going to be a really chilly room in January since that garage door looks to be mostly glass? Or maybe that's when you retreat to the second, upstairs living room.

I wish they hadn't done the ugly brick thing. That feels like the worst part of it. It doesn't go with anything and just makes the place look like you couldn't agree with your spouse and you each chose half the first floor.

I love that cute little nook in the kitchen. Granted, I'd use it as a pantry, but it's still a lovely little detail that's lost now. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I Ike the remodel. Sorry.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Oh hey a McModern

That garage door is going to suck to heat in one of the coldest cities in the US ahahaha

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I Ike the remodel. Sorry.

Same, but the brick facade is questionable.

The old design was pretty bland.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like the interior, wish the brick was just one wall.

I find the exterior to be pretty unattractive though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

AFTER

these stupid skinny wooden columns uggggghhh

You mean those stupid skinny pre-rusted steel columns?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I was thinking "what, it doesn't look so bad" but then I realised it was the Before photos.

I like a lot of the styles in the remodel (not the garage door) but not the way they've done them and that house a) really didn't need it doing b) wasn't an appropriate canvas for it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The remodel is fine. Describing it as monstrosity is a disservice to monstrosities. I'm sure it will look dated, but it's nearly doubled the functional space, and Denver is a hot market.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

Option 3: rip out your cabinet doors and go mason jar crazy (I actually like this kitchen but drat it looks like Pinterest threw up on it)

Knives should be a little closer to light switch IMO

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just hang the knives pointy end down.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Youth Decay posted:

How depressing. That was a great looking house before it was gutted that someone had clearly put a lot of effort into. Now it's just.... ugh.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Was there a garage door there before?

If you're not using your garage, converting it into livable space is giving you room that would otherwise go to waste.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I take it all back, they're not even using real Tolix chairs. All that work and you get the lovely off-brand.

I can but imagine what other Restoration Hardware Horrors lie beyond.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm not normally on the "keep the design original and pure!" train, but holy hell talk about totally missing the loving point of that house! There's plenty on the interior that would have been fine on other houses (cool and good even) but on that it just seems like someone cut a big hole in that house and dropped an ultra modern box on top of it.

Like, drat...an updated kitchen and some other small updates would have been plenty.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why would you make the interior of any house look like a converted Victorian warehouse? I know of abut five in my town alone that have been converted into flats and houses which are now sat virtually empty, so it's not like there is a lack of the real thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

learnincurve posted:

Why would you make the interior of any house look like a converted Victorian warehouse? I know of abut five in my town alone that have been converted into flats and houses which are now sat virtually empty, so it's not like there is a lack of the real thing.

I love the open, one-room "warehouse-convert" dwellings, but it only works with specific geometries. It looks a bit wonky if you just start converting individual rooms in a free-standing house. You really need to have the open space and a tall ceiling to actually have things like support structures going through the place, instead of just gluing i-beams to the ceiling of a 10-foot room.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The remodel is fine except for the stupid rear end garage door. It's bad enough getting bugs and pollen and poo poo in an unscreened window. That thing is going to allow birds and all sorts of poo poo inside. Terrible. If you want to be outside that badly GO OUTSIDE

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

Was there a garage door there before?

If you're not using your garage, converting it into livable space is giving you room that would otherwise go to waste.

It's Denver, you're definitely using your garage in the winter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't think it's a converted garage is it? Looks to me like they just put the big pull down window thing in the existing living room. Looking closer that's the same kitchen in shot but with different lighting.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

learnincurve posted:

I don't think it's a converted garage is it? Looks to me like they just put the big pull down window thing in the existing living room. Looking closer that's the same kitchen in shot but with different lighting.

Living room was in the front, they cut it in half into an office/den/entry and the obnoxiously long open dining area. I... actually don't know what the nu-living used to be. The old kitchen had a window on that side. The geometry of the house was changed so much it's hard to tell what's what.

OH I get it! New kitchen/dining is where the old bedrooms were (shifted to the left) and new living area + bathroom is where the old kitchen/dining was. New floorplan is here.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 9, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I still think the garage door is fine. If they decide they don't want it down the road, they could just stick a big-rear end window there and it would look normal.

My building has a giant set of fold-back windows that open up the front of the building (like you can walk out of them onto the patio) and it's really nice to relax there in summer. I would have put something like it instead of a literal garage door, but having that convertible indoor/outdoor space is great. It's a much different feeling than just some open windows.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My googling has raised some concern about having a bloody huge glass door opening inwards in a city with 55 inches average snowfall. Also I see no way of putting up curtains or blinds.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The design-build group that remodeled that house has made it their specialty to transform old Denver houses in the same way. Massively expand them, add a "pop-top" to single-stories, give them a west coast modern exterior and ~polished industrial~ interior so they're completely unrecognizable. I suppose it's cheaper to use a foundation and frame already built than to build an entire new McModern.

Most of their work is with fixer-uppers and ugly suburban tract housing, and they do a decent job with those. They just need to keep their hands off of perfectly decent 1930s bungalows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

I suppose it's cheaper to use a foundation and frame already built than to build an entire new McModern.

It might also be much easier from a permitting perspective.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Shamelessly stolen from our friends in the crappy construction thread:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I thought it was a dresser, for a few beautiful innocent moments

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Family

Home

Laugh

Dream

Flush

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Exterior design but this guy is doing some incredible large scale art stuff, not really my thing at all but I have to admit this is impressive. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/aug/10/structures-utter-eccentricity-urban-surrealism-alex-chinneck-in-pictures

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

My building has a giant set of fold-back windows that open up the front of the building (like you can walk out of them onto the patio) and it's really nice to relax there in summer. I would have put something like it instead of a literal garage door, but having that convertible indoor/outdoor space is great. It's a much different feeling than just some open windows.

Yeah these are going in in my house, they're a lot more practical than that garage door business.

I wonder if y'all have different fire regs to us; those exposed beams wouldn't be allowed unless they were specially coated since it turns out you don't actually have to melt steel beams, you just have to heat them up enough for them to twist under the weight they're holding, which a regular house fire will do just fine.

We need 30 minutes of protection on all structural beams in the UK, which is usually done with a layer of fire-rated plasterboard (or the aforementioned coatings if you're fancy and have the money/time).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

A garage door opening into the living room? :wtc:

We're gonna need another wombat.

What the christ.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i THINK i'm the empty light sockets but there's just so many choices

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SoundMonkey posted:

Architectural dazzle camouflage :pwn:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Being drunk in that bathroom would be a nightmare :barf:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

when i first saw the picture i thought someone had just glued new tile over the old stuff in big sheets and it fell down

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol I sent that to my builder buddy. The tile work is excellent but terrible

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

when i first saw the picture i thought someone had just glued new tile over the old stuff in big sheets and it fell down
I thought the same seeing the thumbnail. "Holy poo poo the tiles fell down? ... Oh, no.. It's worse."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Freaquency posted:

Being drunk in that bathroom would be a nightmare :barf:

Who needs to be drunk? Just seeing that picture made me experience very mild vertigo. I can't imagine what being there would be like.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SoundMonkey posted:

Bathroom window not glass block and colors aren't pink white and grey. 7/10 jeans jackets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The garage door is terrible for a dozen reasons, the dazzle camouflage tilework is ugly to me but competently done so whatever, but what the gently caress is the reasoning behind toilets at the top of stairs?

No door on the toilet is dumb and bad, but have these people never been really sick? That toilet is a suicide machine. I have to assume there is some lazy/cheap architectural/plumbing reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It's a throne obviously.