Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tapes do have some hipster cred, too. Not quite to the same level as vinyl, but it's definitely there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMTpvr9HXeI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

You guys can't tell me you don't want one of these...

https://youtu.be/DIh76Y2iWSM

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Actually I don't want one. My Walkmans are good enough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RodShaft posted:

You guys can't tell me you don't want one of these...

https://youtu.be/DIh76Y2iWSM

I'm good, thanks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People use tapes still in the same way that people use vinyl, it's not a total shock to put the soundtrack out on tape

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sega just did that promo release of music from their emulation run on tape.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iam8bit has a Collector's Edition for it... with the soundtrack on a cassette tape :confuoot.

Vinyl ones I understand, because people like vinyl and you can buy brand-new players, but who the hell still has something with a cassette player? :psyduck:

It's mostly for people to put on a shelf, but cassettes are back for certain music genres. It's very strange, they're a terrible format.

In Training posted:

People use tapes still in the same way that people use vinyl, it's not a total shock to put the soundtrack out on tape

Not really, there's a ton of companies selling modern turntables and people actually listen to records. Noone is making a modern tape deck and cassettes sound like poo poo anyway.

But yeah it's very much a cute thing for people to buy and look at. Ariel Pink and my friend's band both put out 8 tracks a few years ago. They cost so much to make that they only did like twenty of them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

There's also no excuse to charge $40+ for a tape.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

There's also no excuse to charge $40+ for a tape.

Definitely, that's absurd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Dunno about audio cassettes (I think a few bands use them as promo gimmicks nowadays?) but I definitely know there's a fandom out there for old VHS tapes, usually involving horror movies. Partly because, as you said, of the eccentricities that have developed over time in the battered old analog media and the devices used to play them back, and partly because a lot of old, low-budget, straight-to-video horror movies never escaped tape.

Have you seen Blood Drive? Because you should really watch Blood Drive :gibs:.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

vkeios posted:

Actually I don't want one. My Walkmans are good enough.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm good, thanks.

Whatever. It looks like something out of an anime. I want one and I don't have tapes nor like much anime.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVQZdthV_fA

There was a sweet tape in the box versin of Galak-Z that indiebox sold.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to blame Guardians of the Galaxy for cassette tapes being in again. I know that's probably wrong, but I feel the need to blame somebody.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to blame Guardians of the Galaxy for cassette tapes being in again. I know that's probably wrong, but I feel the need to blame somebody.
No, that's about right. It's the original Burned CD.

Also, you could probably sell decent modern cassettes with reformulated magnetic tape but thay would require non-20 year old decks and that takes away from the retro novelty.

Techmoan has a great set of videos about better tape tech, and there's at least one that looks righteous. (Metal slide top to protect the tape, no sprocket holes so Box Art can go on the tape itself, cooler holder that wont die on you.)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

What are some GBA games worth playing that aren't Nintendo first/second-party games or huge flagship titles (e.g. the Castlevania and FF games) of some kind?

Car Battler Joe

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

Tapes are the hipster thing in Japan like vinyl is in the West.

They also are in the US, one of the local recording companies here only does releases to bandcamp and cassette tapes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

meat police posted:

It looks like Retro Fighters is trying their hand at an N64 controller through a kickstarter. Looks better than the coveted hori design.

I have never backed a kickstarter but for $20 this looks too good to pass up!!!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I was thinking about games that needed special hardware to play on the original systems and realized something. The Monster Rancher series on the PSX AND PS2 can't really be emulated because of how that games generated monsters. The game tells you to open the drive and put a completely different CD. How do you re create that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I was thinking about games that needed special hardware to play on the original systems and realized something. The Monster Rancher series on the PSX AND PS2 can't really be emulated because of how that games generated monsters. The game tells you to open the drive and put a completely different CD. How do you re create that?

You put a CD into your computer. It will apparently also generate monsters from DVDs and blu rays too, from reading stuff online. 1080p monster generation

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone can probably hack together the way the game reads the CD TOC and make junk data for it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's probably a half-dozen ways to feed it an ISO lurking about online as well.

If you want an actual hardware challenge, that'd be WiiU games in general. If you're even thinking about considering getting a WiiU for just a few titles do it now. There is a fixed ratio of gamepads to consoles in the wild, and it will not always be favourable.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

You put a CD into your computer. It will apparently also generate monsters from DVDs and blu rays too, from reading stuff online. 1080p monster generation

I remember trying to use different DVDs while emulating Monster Rancher 2 and it kept generating the same idiot floppy eared bad stats monster

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's probably a half-dozen ways to feed it an ISO lurking about online as well.

If you want an actual hardware challenge, that'd be WiiU games in general. If you're even thinking about considering getting a WiiU for just a few titles do it now. There is a fixed ratio of gamepads to consoles in the wild, and it will not always be favourable.

This isn't something I need to worry about (seeing as I have a Wii U) but you make a very valid point, sir.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

I know at least ePSXe will run games straight out of your PC's disc drive so it's not impossible to swap things out that way assuming you're also using a disc-based copy of Monster Rancher.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My parents are cleaning out some stuff and I had to explain to my mom that what I had was Zelda for the N64 and a value of €300 was accurate maybe for the NES Zelda if it was mint, never opened, in fact still shrink wrapped and had basically not ever been touched for 30 years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

absolutely anything posted:

I remember trying to use different DVDs while emulating Monster Rancher 2 and it kept generating the same idiot floppy eared bad stats monster

Yeah probably a consequence of how dvds are encoded or something.

ProjektorBoy posted:

I know at least ePSXe will run games straight out of your PC's disc drive so it's not impossible to swap things out that way assuming you're also using a disc-based copy of Monster Rancher.

Yeah it should work fine.

You swap the game disc back in later.

This works with ISOs and with physical CDs both.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This does bring up an interesting question: Did anyone reverse engineer what information was being pulled for monster generation? Mainly for the sake of being able to make tiny ISO's or whatever that just had the actual data used for the seed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

This does bring up an interesting question: Did anyone reverse engineer what information was being pulled for monster generation? Mainly for the sake of being able to make tiny ISO's or whatever that just had the actual data used for the seed.

Its gotta be something to do with just pulling the basic redbook audio data for the number of tracks and length of tracks. I would figure it just takes some data and basically does a hash of it and picks a random monster. (And in the case of it not being redbook audio, it just pulls whatever data that would be in those positions, so a data disc would just have effectively random values)

That doesn't account for things like, people would say that some christmas songs would give you a santa monster. Is that a co-incedence? Could be. Otherwise they'd have to have some kind of lookup table stored of lots of CD data, which seems unlikely?

Basic CDs don't have any data encoded in them AFAIK, cd recognition usually requires looking up cd information from some online database.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't account for things like, people would say that some christmas songs would give you a santa monster. Is that a co-incedence? Could be. Otherwise they'd have to have some kind of lookup table stored of lots of CD data, which seems unlikely?

Basic CDs don't have any data encoded in them AFAIK, cd recognition usually requires looking up cd information from some online database.

Music CDs can have artist/album/track names embedded using CD-Text, which was introduced a year before Monster Rancher came out, so it's possible that it looks for certain keywords on discs that have that data.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In all likelihood (or at least how I would do it) it's probably looking up some early specific sector on the disc that's likely to have some degree of unique data, and treating those sectors in more or less the same way as a barcode/random seed to calculate from. I don't think it'd only use things like the disc label since that's often a forgotten thing, nor would it rely on only one type of disc; like not all discs have redbook audio, and no DVD's do obviously. It could also be doing multiple lookups, although I would assume it doesn't faff around terribly long, and if the same disc gives you the same results every time it can't really be "random". Based on Wikipedia there are certain specific discs that'll give you specific results, like DEAD OR ALIVE gives you a pixie named Katsumi, but this probably isn't a terribly extensive list.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

univbee posted:

In all likelihood (or at least how I would do it) it's probably looking up some early specific sector on the disc that's likely to have some degree of unique data, and treating those sectors in more or less the same way as a barcode/random seed to calculate from. I don't think it'd only use things like the disc label since that's often a forgotten thing, nor would it rely on only one type of disc; like not all discs have redbook audio, and no DVD's do obviously. It could also be doing multiple lookups, although I would assume it doesn't faff around terribly long, and if the same disc gives you the same results every time it can't really be "random". Based on Wikipedia there are certain specific discs that'll give you specific results, like DEAD OR ALIVE gives you a pixie named Katsumi, but this probably isn't a terribly extensive list.

Its definitely not random. Its a procedural algorithm that like you said uses whatever it gets from the disc as the seed basically.

My assumption is that the 'specific sector' you mentioned is where redbook data would be, like I said wherever the table of contents is in the early disc, and if it just so happens it isn't redbook audio then it just takes whatever data would be in the same location.

Garbage in, garbage out doesn't really matter if you're just looking for a seed value, you'll take whatever you get.

repiv posted:

Music CDs can have artist/album/track names embedded using CD-Text, which was introduced a year before Monster Rancher came out, so it's possible that it looks for certain keywords on discs that have that data.

This seems like a possible answer for the Christmas stuff, then yeah. Because I really don't see them including a big lookup table of HASH = Santa, HASH = dragon, etc. possible copyright issues there even? Probably not but I'm no lawyer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I still can't believe no one's ever done something with that mechanic now that every piece of junk data you could possibly ever want to look up and turn into a monster or animal or summon or whatever can be downloaded in 4 seconds

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Square made a modern version of it on the iPod Classic of all things, but good luck buying and playing it these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJO8X8ye3I

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I backed that kickstarter to get an N64 controller. That's the first thing I've ever backed. What's the over under on that actually coming out?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank ye kindly

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
does anyone have a real copy of the OutRun sound track tape that came with the computer version back in the day

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Square made a modern version of it on the iPod Classic of all things, but good luck buying and playing it these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJO8X8ye3I

This got ported to iOS. I think it might have been one of the first games I got when I got my iPod Touch.

Not only does it have that mechanic, the monster tied to the song you used to generate it would get more powerful the more times you listened to that song.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9zwpMj_8A

I think I'm going to buy Sonic Mania...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Same, If it's an actually good 2D Sonic. I got no problems with that.

Anyway, I have been playing some Neo Geo Color games. It seems like it was an interesting system. Like the missing link between the Gameboy and the Gameboy color.

• Locked thread