Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apraxin posted:

LDP just got trashed in the Tokyo metropolitan elections. Down to 23 seats out of 127, tied with Komeito and barely more than the Communists. They've never done this badly before, not even the year they were so unpopular that they lost the national election to the DPJ a few months later.

Did the DPJ win or did the governor's party win? I heard she was on the right of the LDP anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well, she's not as right wing as Ishihara was. Probably

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Badger of Basra posted:

Did the DPJ win or did the governor's party win? I heard she was on the right of the LDP anyway.

The governor's alliance won 79 seats, the DP only got 5 seats

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how are the japanese communists. who's their leader

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Big protest happening in Shinjuku tomorrow. Come out if you're not a neoliberal anti-revolutionary bastard.

https://twitter.com/MarchForTruthJP

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

how are the japanese communists. who's their leader

He's a nerd with dorky glasses

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Abe's approval has fallen below 30%, and there's a fair bit of talk about a post-Abe LDP.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Abe's approval has fallen below 30%, and there's a fair bit of talk about a post-Abe LDP.

Yeah. I think the question at this point is whether the liberal forces in the LDP are strong enough to make a Kishida administration meaningfully less right-wing than Abe's. Kishida is theoretically the heir of the Yoshida-Tanaka-Ozawa lineage, but I'm not sure how many of those people are actually left in the party 30 years after the DPJ split off. Kishida and Ishiba are both Nippon Kaigi members, for example, and they probably have to be to survive in the LDP in 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

Argh. Renho had finally been giving me some hope for the DPJ.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mystes posted:

Argh. Renho had finally been giving me some hope for the DPJ.

Scuttlebutt is that it's gonna be Edano vs. Maehara in the new party presidential election and if Edano wins the conservative wing is gonna gently caress off and do something with Koike.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sooo.....are people starting to Evacuate the major cities in lieu of Trump and Kim's rhetoric, or is poo poo going down not imminent yet?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I dunno Grouchio, have you read anything to remotely suggest anything like that happening?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I heard someone that the reason why Japanese media (shows, anime, games, music) is so focused on high school, is due to adulthood (as well as young adulthood) is very stressful, even more so than America. Is this true?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anime and videogames are high school focused because they're made for high schoolers

I don't watch live-action Japanese TV because it's really bad but I think it's much less so

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

I heard someone that the reason why Japanese media (shows, anime, games, music) is so focused on high school, is due to adulthood (as well as young adulthood) is very stressful, even more so than America. Is this true?
Most Japanese media is centered around extreme close-ups of food.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Anime and videogames are high school focused because they're made for high schoolers

I don't watch live-action Japanese TV because it's really bad but I think it's much less so

I mean even factoring that in it still seems strange. Even American adventure novels and what not have a fair share of twenty something or even thirty somethings as protagonists.

Kilroy posted:

Most Japanese media is centered around extreme close-ups of food.

Why do I get the feeling that you aren't joking?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean even factoring that in it still seems strange. Even American adventure novels and what not have a fair share of twenty something or even thirty somethings as protagonists.

Why do I get the feeling that you aren't joking?

食レポ is 90% of TV, easily

mystes
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Maybe you should take this up in ADTRW if you're really interested in having a discussion about the excessive proportion of anime focused on high school?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The only recent anime featuring 20-something protagonists has been Kobayashi and Yuri on Ice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Japan's immigration laws aren't actually that much stricter than European countries, the kind of major push for immigration that people want Japan to do would basically be unprecedented among developed countries

In some ways it's less strict.

When I came here, there was for example no demand on my wife's income to get spouse-based residency, it was enough that her family vouched for me as a guarantor. There were lots of forms to fill out but they were quite willing to give me residency. I'm white though, so it's probably worse for others.

We couldn't do that when we tried to get her into Holland, I had to have an income as her husband (of course, I didn't, I had just lived in Japan for 2 years). Not only that, but it had to be income from work, under a contract that had to be valid for another year at least (this is becoming rare in an economy based on flexible labor and zero hour contracts). In the end she was able to get residency using a loophole, and they still bother you after that with a mandatory cultural assimilation exam and other crap.

British visas are even worse, the demands are similar to Holland, with added rude treatment by immigration staff and constant hammering on the idea that you're only really welcome if you bring "innovation", whatever that means.

The good part of most European countries is that they do tend to give you residence permits for longer periods of time than Japan, like 3 to 5 years, whereas Japan will usually start you off with only 1 year.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 10, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's interesting that Abe's current plan to revise the constitution is apparently not based on the LDP draft that has been floating around forever. I really want to see the details, because based on what has been reported about Article 9, he has scrapped the idea of specifically allowing a "military" and instead gone with simply adding language to specifically allow the SDF.

If this is the only change he plans to make now, that would be fairly reasonable, and I'm curious to see how it will play out. Considering his current approval rating it seems a bit unlikely that he will succeed with this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

食レポ is 90% of TV, easily

I'm imagining that all of Japanese TV is essentially different versions of the Food Network.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's the same in Korea, China makes a little more time for non-food TV so they can have more shows about Japanese people being killed.

Person, locally famous or not, gets a food. Food in question is often completely generic restaurant fare.

Person eats food.

Person shouts DELICIOUS repeatedly while eating food.

Repeat.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Second that, anime is primarily marketed towards Japanese children and teens, it's mainly the weird gaijin who keeps on thinking they are for adults.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

YA literature in the US is mostly read and written by 20 and 30 somethings at this point, actual high schoolers are a secondary audience

Anime and manga, especially the formulaic shounen manga stuff, is aimed at high schoolers to a much greater degree than YA lit is I would say. Part of that is it just being a rote part of the genre/tropes(though I hate that loving word and am loathe to use it) There are other genres in anime and manga that are more explicitly for adults, and those don't feature high schoolers nearly as much.

The weird sweaty manchildren demo is of course very important but they're not part of the mainstream media audience. Stuff that's normal for normal adults to watch in Japan doesn't feature all high schoolers

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

icantfindaname posted:

YA literature in the US is mostly read and written by 20 and 30 somethings at this point, actual high schoolers are a secondary audience

Anime and manga, especially the formulaic shounen manga stuff, is aimed at high schoolers to a much greater degree than YA lit is I would say. Part of that is it just being a rote part of the genre/tropes(though I hate that loving word and am loathe to use it) There are other genres in anime and manga that are more explicitly for adults, and those don't feature high schoolers nearly as much

I think almost all of the high school stuff gets translated because it's super popular among nerds, so it looks dominant to us.

I'm sure there are some nerds on a foreign message board right now asking why American movies are nothing but superheroes.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

I think almost all of the high school stuff gets translated because it's super popular among nerds, so it looks dominant to us.

I'm sure there are some nerds on a foreign message board right now asking why American movies are nothing but superheroes.

There is a lot of stuff that is superficially for children but actually for weird adult nerds. This is what western anime fans like, and in terms of sheer volume produced it is probably actually dominant (although what's really dominant are absolutely loving terrible zero-budget phone game tie-ins that I'm pretty sure even otaku don't like and I don't know why they make them), but like I said in the edit that doesn't really count because mainstream society in Japan doesn't watch this

mystes posted:

It's interesting that Abe's current plan to revise the constitution is apparently not based on the LDP draft that has been floating around forever. I really want to see the details, because based on what has been reported about Article 9, he has scrapped the idea of specifically allowing a "military" and instead gone with simply adding language to specifically allow the SDF.

If this is the only change he plans to make now, that would be fairly reasonable, and I'm curious to see how it will play out. Considering his current approval rating it seems a bit unlikely that he will succeed with this.

That was the plan a few months ago, before his approval rating collapsed. At this point revision seems completely dead. His new cabinet seems like a transition lame-duck cabinet with the liberal faction of the party given more power and waiting till it can take over after Abe leaves. Inada's gone and Taro Kono, whose dad issued the comfort women apologies in the early 90s and seems like the most liberal senior figure in the party by far, is the foreign minister

Koike's party going national seems like the next big event, along with a possible/probable disintegration of the DP

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 10, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Part of that is it just being a rote part of the genre/tropes(though I hate that loving word and am loathe to use it)

:same:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Grouchio posted:

The only recent anime featuring 20-something protagonists has been Kobayashi and Yuri on Ice.

Osomatsu-san as well. That's pretty much it tho.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

食レポ is 90% of TV, easily

There must be a class in Japanese broadcasting school for making the chopsticks quiver just the right amount on an extreme food close up.

mystes posted:

IIRC, his plan was/is adding the third clause in Article 9 referring to the existence of the SDF ,and adding another article guaranteeing free education. I can't imagine he'd have any chance of getting it through now, though, which is likely going to haunt him for the rest of his days. It all seemed to be going so well for him just a few months ago.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
This talk of Japanese TV is interesting because when I think about it, yeah most of antenna TV is food stuff and variety shows which makes me wonder what channels on BS and CS are like. Is it the same but with just a shitload of shows to choose from or are there actually interesting things to watch? Re: anime stuff, in my normal TV watching I feel like I hardly ever run across anime unless it's something like Doraemon, Sazaesan, or Chibi Maruko-chan.. Sometimes Tokyo MX (which is kind of known for airing anime) shows anime but I couldn't tell you any on-going series these days. I think the last one I was aware of was Space Dandy and that is nothing like the high school centered poo poo ya'll are talking about. Space Dandy is great, btw

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

icantfindaname posted:

There is a lot of stuff that is superficially for children but actually for weird adult nerds. This is what western anime fans like, and in terms of sheer volume produced it is probably actually dominant (although what's really dominant are absolutely loving terrible zero-budget phone game tie-ins that I'm pretty sure even otaku don't like and I don't know why they make them), but like I said in the edit that doesn't really count because mainstream society in Japan doesn't watch this

I'm actually curious what being an anime dork is like in Japan. I've heard either you get shunned from society to varying degrees no matter what because people view it as a sign of NEETdom, or people don't really care if you're a normal person. I think Americans think because people buy some manga magazine and read it on the train on the way to work then toss it out that Japan is somehow a nation of nerds

Also I think some people get confused because they think like, Dragon Ball movies being in the theater means that everyone watches Saga of a Panty Sniffer

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't know if it's another one of those fake news stats, but something like 40% of Japanese aged 18-34 are virgins.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I don't know if it's another one of those fake news stats, but something like 40% of Japanese aged 18-34 are virgins.

The statistics are probably true enough though I don't see the specifics of their methodology (where the survey was done, if it was voluntary etc.).

The data all the news sites talk about is here: http://www.ipss.go.jp/ps-doukou/j/doukou15/NFS15_report3.pdf
On page 14, graph I-2-4. Top is men, bottom is women, age on the left years on the top, pretty self explanatory even if you don't understand Japanese.

Basically there's been an uptick since 2005 and 2010 when they last did the surveys.

What the sensationalist western news articles tend to either not realize or intentional mislead people on is that this is specifically for unmarried people, so there's a fair portion of the population right there who have had sex, where many of the articles make it seem that it's of all Japanese people, which is a different story.

Also you have to consider the context and social realities of the country; a huge portion of the population lives at home with their parents, even through universit, they have no cars, little privacy, little sex ed, etc. You also have to look at economic realities, which is a big factor. What happened between 2005 and 2010 when rates first began to rise? The economic crisis, and Japan was hit pretty hard, especially around those years when kids graduating from college often choose the companies (and all the social and cultural capital that goes with lifetime employment) that they'll be in for most of their lives. People who do less well have much worse courtship prospects, so the people that were graduating around then got pretty hosed overall, and not in a way that can be made-up for in a more liquid employment market. Many of them got largely hosed permanently. In that context? Yeah you're gonna see an uptick in people that give up on courtship.

Plus the articles mentioning that statistic almost universally give it alongside of Japan's birth rate and aging population which, while technically true, is virtually never put in the context that Japan's birth rate is around the same as Germany, and Italy, and better than Spain, HK, South Korea, Singapore.

Basically are the statistics on Japan's virgin population true? Yes, as long as the article mentions that it's specifically of the Unmarried population. Is it intentionally deceptive and removed from context in order to make a more sensationalist headline, and Fake News in that sense? Absolutely. Japan is the right combination of familiar to a Western layperson and yet exotic enough to be easily otherized and not have people care to actually look at the background of what's being written, thus it's frequently the subject of hot pieces like this, because in the current news media environment they're quite profitable.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Let me preface this by saying that I think overall Japanese culture is very similar to the cultures of Europe/the US/the West. This similarity is at least one of the reasons why the differences that do exist appear more pronounced. Also one must always be careful with simple explanations, especially when trying to understand individual behavior.

That being said, I do believe that school, in particular highschool, takes a more important place in the Japanese imagination than generally in the West. From personal experience it feels that even media aimed at kids/teenagers in Germany rarely takes the school as the setting. There might be scenes at school but largely this is just a place where the characters meet and not that central to the story. In contrast, it appears that there is a lot of Japanese media where the focal point is school, where the stories are about activities at school (clubs etc.). I am not sure how that compares to American media but my guess would be that it is more similar to Germany.
An interesting comparison might be Power Rangers and the respective Japanese show. From what I remember in the American version the fact that the heroes were at school was basically purely incidential. Was it different in the Japanese show?
One reason for this is probably that school, with all the club activities and the organizational structure, takes a larger part of the students life in Japan. Related to this, I would guess that being a student from school XY is a bigger part of the identity for Japanese students. The obvious point here would be school uniforms (an interesting topic all on its own, maybe I'll come back to it later) but also more identity building activities and a greater emphasis on the role a person takes in society in general (here I might be moving onto thin ice).
The fetishization of youth happens in all modern societies to some degree but for the reasons above it might be more focused around school in Japan than elsewhere.

I also believe that school as a setting is more prevalent in media aimed at adults in Japan. For example there seems to exist a whole genre of serious films about a kind of existential dread at highschools (All About Lily Chou-Chou would be a classical example) that are clearly not targeted at children. I can't think of something equivalent in mainstream German/American movies. If I had to guess, I would say the biggest reason for this is the shared experience of exam hell. Of course stress regarding exams exists everywhere but it is rarely as pronounced and as homogeneous as in Japan.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mr. Fix It posted:

食レポ is 90% of TV, easily
The other 10% is Ayako Imoto traveling abroad to embarrass herself and the people of Japan.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Anime and manga, especially the formulaic shounen manga stuff, is aimed at high schoolers to a much greater degree than YA lit is I would say. Part of that is it just being a rote part of the genre/tropes(though I hate that loving word and am loathe to use it) There are other genres in anime and manga that are more explicitly for adults, and those don't feature high schoolers nearly as much.

The weird sweaty manchildren demo is of course very important but they're not part of the mainstream media audience. Stuff that's normal for normal adults to watch in Japan doesn't feature all high schoolers

I see. Thank you. So the answer was actually a twist! :O

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

true.spoon posted:

An interesting comparison might be Power Rangers and the respective Japanese show. From what I remember in the American version the fact that the heroes were at school was basically purely incidential. Was it different in the Japanese show

Well, in the Sentai that was adapted to what everybody thinks of for Power Rangers the heroes were ancient people from the time of the dinosaurs who were magically frozen in time. So it was preeetty different.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

The statistics are probably true enough though I don't see the specifics of their methodology (where the survey was done, if it was voluntary etc.).

The data all the news sites talk about is here: http://www.ipss.go.jp/ps-doukou/j/doukou15/NFS15_report3.pdf
On page 14, graph I-2-4. Top is men, bottom is women, age on the left years on the top, pretty self explanatory even if you don't understand Japanese.

Basically there's been an uptick since 2005 and 2010 when they last did the surveys.

What the sensationalist western news articles tend to either not realize or intentional mislead people on is that this is specifically for unmarried people, so there's a fair portion of the population right there who have had sex, where many of the articles make it seem that it's of all Japanese people, which is a different story.

Also you have to consider the context and social realities of the country; a huge portion of the population lives at home with their parents, even through universit, they have no cars, little privacy, little sex ed, etc. You also have to look at economic realities, which is a big factor. What happened between 2005 and 2010 when rates first began to rise? The economic crisis, and Japan was hit pretty hard, especially around those years when kids graduating from college often choose the companies (and all the social and cultural capital that goes with lifetime employment) that they'll be in for most of their lives. People who do less well have much worse courtship prospects, so the people that were graduating around then got pretty hosed overall, and not in a way that can be made-up for in a more liquid employment market. Many of them got largely hosed permanently. In that context? Yeah you're gonna see an uptick in people that give up on courtship.

Plus the articles mentioning that statistic almost universally give it alongside of Japan's birth rate and aging population which, while technically true, is virtually never put in the context that Japan's birth rate is around the same as Germany, and Italy, and better than Spain, HK, South Korea, Singapore.

Basically are the statistics on Japan's virgin population true? Yes, as long as the article mentions that it's specifically of the Unmarried population. Is it intentionally deceptive and removed from context in order to make a more sensationalist headline, and Fake News in that sense? Absolutely. Japan is the right combination of familiar to a Western layperson and yet exotic enough to be easily otherized and not have people care to actually look at the background of what's being written, thus it's frequently the subject of hot pieces like this, because in the current news media environment they're quite profitable.

I always question virginity studies because I can't imagine that most participants would be honest, at least in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always question virginity studies because I can't imagine that most participants would be honest, at least in the West.

In the west most people would lie to say they've had sex though.

Also, in Japan, depending on the wording of the question people might not include patronizing prostitution in their answers, which would be another confounding factor as it's quite common in Japan.