Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That ref is too old.

E bad snipe. Forgive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Caufman posted:

My god, that's not a rug! It's a very geometric yog-shoggoth!

thats_racist.gif

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

RFC2324 posted:

thats_racist.gif

You should hear what the cat's named.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You should hear what the cat's named.

I'm happy to catch this reference. For those who don't:

HP Lovecraft wrote a story with a cat named friend of the family Man. In terms of sensibilities, Lovecraft was at about Blind Idiot Author level.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Caufman posted:

HP Lovecraft wrote a story with a cat named friend of the family Man. In terms of sensibilities, Lovecraft was at about Blind Idiot Author level.

Given he lived in a time where lynching and Jim Crow laws were the norm, he matches nicely with the color of the epoch .

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lovecraft was pretty hysterically racist even for the time. Oddly enough, he married a Jew. Though his works aren't exactly pushing the supremacy of the Anglo-Saxon given, well, the themes. (Not to mention both sides of his family having a history of major mental illness and apparently both of his parents died in asylums)

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

...but they're still in the 3000s.
:goonsay:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Lovecraft hated hillbillies more than anything

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's not very funny, but I have a lot of sympathy for Lovecraft. He's a horrible racist who was so against miscegenation that he likened it to having sex with fishpeople, but he was also afraid of ending up in an asylum (since that's what happened to his parents, especially his mother). He essentially starved to death because his stories never earned him much money. His racism came from fear, and not hatred. That makes him pitiful, and you can't hate someone like that. Also, his writings and ideas are super-influential on generations of writers.

Here's a picture of a dolphin:

http://i.imgur.com/H2STmEC.mp4

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's not very funny, but I have a lot of sympathy for Lovecraft. He's a horrible racist who was so against miscegenation that he likened it to having sex with fishpeople, but he was also afraid of ending up in an asylum (since that's what happened to his parents, especially his mother). He essentially starved to death because his stories never earned him much money. His racism came from fear, and not hatred. That makes him pitiful, and you can't hate someone like that. Also, his writings and ideas are super-influential on generations of writers.

Here's a picture of a dolphin:

http://i.imgur.com/H2STmEC.mp4

I remember reading somewhere that along with his terror of darker-skinned people and insanity, Lovecraft also had a massive fear of being cold - at first he needed it to be 80+, then 90+ degrees, so I find it quite amusing that the real source of fear for him in At the Mountains of Madness probably wasn't the Terrible and Incomprehensible Ancient Ones from the Dawn of Time or the Unholy Horrors that Luck in the Depths AKA Shuggoths, it was that antarctica is really quite chilly and uncomfortable.

Edit:

mind the walrus posted:

Man the Persian Purrsian Rug industry has upped their game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pookah posted:

I remember reading somewhere that along with his terror of darker-skinned people and insanity, Lovecraft also had a massive fear of being cold - at first he needed it to be 80+, then 90+ degrees, so I find it quite amusing that the real source of fear for him in At the Mountains of Madness probably wasn't the Terrible and Incomprehensible Ancient Ones from the Dawn of Time or the Unholy Horrors that Luck in the Depths AKA Shuggoths, it was that antarctica is really quite chilly and uncomfortable.

Well, can't say he's wrong.

Lovecraft's a funny case that being terrified of drat near everything (and obsessed with Edgar Allen Poe's works) is basically what made his stuff so interesting. Such a fraidy cat he invented whole new ways to be afraid of things.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He did write Cool Air, a short story about how terrifying air conditioners are.

As I understand it, he was a New England old money type guy, but he didn't have any money, so he clung to his apparently superior genetics as something unshakable about himself, that gave him prestige and quality in life.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

Oh, friend of the family Man, where you gonna run to?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

He did write Cool Air, a short story about how terrifying air conditioners are.

As I understand it, he was a New England old money type guy, but he didn't have any money, so he clung to his apparently superior genetics as something unshakable about himself, that gave him prestige and quality in life.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. He was really antisemitic, but married a Jew, so his prejudices were never particularly deep. He was from good breeding stock, but never had the courage of his convictions. He was also really lonely and afraid all the time and his hatred of being left in the city while his wife went to work just made him even more hateful and bitter.

He's basically a proto-typical shut-in nerd, but instead of 4chan, he had Weird Tales.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Poor ol' Howard, thought of that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes, and died.

:(

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Aug 10, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His best friend was also a 12 year old

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plavski posted:

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. He was really antisemitic, but married a Jew, so his prejudices were never particularly deep. He was from good breeding stock, but never had the courage of his convictions. He was also really lonely and afraid all the time and his hatred of being left in the city while his wife went to work just made him even more hateful and bitter.

He's basically a proto-typical shut-in nerd, but instead of 4chan, he had Weird Tales.

See above about how most of his family died in asylums; defective and corrupted heritage is also a theme in a lot of his works.

May have done better than his correspondent Robert E Howard, of Conan the Barbarian fame, who last I heard lived with his mother his entire life, and soon after she died he committed suicide.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
He was also virgin until his marriage at 34. Before the marriage, Lovecraft bought numerous books about sex and studied them in order to perform on the wedding night.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lovecraft's actual cat was called friend of the family-man. The cat in "Rats in the Walls" is an homage to it. While it sounds pretty bad to modern sensibilities and a pretty nasty sentiment lies under it, calling a black-colored pet some variant of "friend of the family" wasn't uncommon for his era or even later. For example the dog in Dam Busters (also a fictionalized version of a real animal) is called friend of the family.

Here's a picture of Lovecraft pretending to punch Frank Belnap Long

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:drat:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He could turn a hell of a phrase when he wanted to, that man.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Plavski posted:

I wonder what the origin is of this persistent myth that Lovecraft was a shut-in. He wasn't a super sociable guy, disliked life in the big city, and didn't have a job, but he was not some kind of recluse. He traveled quite a lot, to the extent that his means allowed (so basically only east of the Mississippi) -- his longest single piece of writing is a satirically old-fashioned travelogue of a trip he took to Quebec (in character as a few-century-ago Tory, he spells it "Quebeck"). And he had a good number of real-life and epistolary friendships, not to mention a wife.

Here he is, having a rollicking old time in Florida! No word on whose cat or how racistly it may or may not have been named.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vibrates through walls, can burrow underground.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That skinny little nerd is, incidentally, a teenage Robert Barlow. He would go on to become HPL's literary executor (and thus, with August Derleth, the only reason anyone today has heard of the guy) and unrelatedly a pioneer of Mexican anthropology and Maya and Nahua studies. He later OD'd because he was afraid his homosexuality would be exposed by one of his students. I believe the other two are his mother and brother, not sure though.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

skasion posted:

I wonder what the origin is of this persistent myth that Lovecraft was a shut-in.

Fat reclusive basement-dwellers like to think that someone important was just like them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Honestly its probably because of the type of stories he wrote. Theres an almost default assumption that horror writers are all recluses which is weird since the most obvious horror writers i can think of (Stephen King, Poe), weren't/aren't.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hey did you guys know that a popular thing was actually bad

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Honestly its probably because of the type of stories he wrote. Theres an almost default assumption that horror writers are all recluses which is weird since the most obvious horror writers i can think of (Stephen King, Poe), weren't/aren't.

Hell, King actually trying to get some exercise led to him getting hit by that van.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

skasion posted:

I wonder what the origin is of this persistent myth that Lovecraft was a shut-in. He wasn't a super sociable guy, disliked life in the big city, and didn't have a job, but he was not some kind of recluse. He traveled quite a lot, to the extent that his means allowed (so basically only east of the Mississippi) -- his longest single piece of writing is a satirically old-fashioned travelogue of a trip he took to Quebec (in character as a few-century-ago Tory, he spells it "Quebeck"). And he had a good number of real-life and epistolary friendships, not to mention a wife.

Here he is, having a rollicking old time in Florida! No word on whose cat or how racistly it may or may not have been named.

A Description of the Town of Quebeck in New-France, Lately added to His Britannick Majesty’s Dominions can be found in Collected Essays, Volume 4: Travel (or To Quebec and the Stars) and is well worth a read, as it is a hoot. Howard was probably a fun guy to be around, as long as you didn't talk too much about politics. I'm sure there are people like him nowadays.

Also, read Cool Air. It's pretty great.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Aug 10, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

A Description of the Town of Quebeck in New-France, Lately added to His Britannick Majesty’s Dominions can be found in Collected Essays, Volume 4: Travel (or To Quebec and the Stars) and is well worth a read, as it is a hoot. Howard was probably a fun guy to be around, as long as you didn't talk too much about politics. I'm sure there are people like him nowadays.

Also, read Cool Air. It's pretty great.

*peers out over 14th St* I see not much has changed

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
PYF Funny Pictures 3.0: PYF Historical Anecdote About HP Lovecraft

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Herbert West: Reanimator is really good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Oh God, he was like this close to being incel. Fortunately he lived long ago enough that I can feel sad for him instead of hating him.

Cumslut1895 posted:

*5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the racist is racist

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cumslut1895 posted:

That's not what that says at all

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
It's probably a joke but man this really checks off the whole terrible list of insecure, jealous girlfriend material.

Triggering Intensifies