Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Mantis42 posted:

I wanted to get Great Khan but I'm gonna give up on it.

Same, waiting for changes to the Ming tributary stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think hordes got a nerf too many, you used to be able to survive if you were constantly at war, it required diplo for WE but it was a fun way to play the game. It was a bit like a perma-war mod.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

Mantis42 posted:

Okay, I've complained about it twice now but literally every attempt I have at a Horde game ends in bankruptcy by 1500. Interest is too drat high. You don't make enough money off of war and razing to actually pay for the cost of waging war. Someone play a Timurid or Great Horde game and tell me how you make your economy work or how you afford an army.

ya i don't gently caress with them for too long (*timurids that is), as soon as you start delete all forts, raise autonomy everywhere, delete or sell your ships and then declare on kashmir or multan so you can border delhi and take what you need from them asap.
while you're doing that vassalize hormuz and ally bengal so they can help you against jaunpur. once you've formed mughals if you're having trouble with ming just become a trib temporarily

if you want horde achievements just do the underlined things and become a ming trib asap, problem solved :shrug:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm doing a Castile run, I grabbed Fez gharb melilla and tangiers from Morocco and vassalized tlemcen, plus reconquered Granada. It's 1475 or so, I disinherited the 0/0/0 idiot and got a good male king with a good male heir, but Aragon has also an old male king with male heir... I am afraid the Iberian wedding couldn't fire, can I game the system somehow to have it fire? It's Ironman.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It can fire during a regency, doesn't matter what the heir is in that case. I think sending your King into battle as general still works, so do that if your heir is not of age yet.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Gonna play as the Avarians and reclaim the Pannonian basin.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Mantis42 posted:

I managed to get Great Khan a few patches ago, took a dozen tries but was a different and for me fun challenge than most. Definitely turn off Mandate of Heaven if you have it, Muscovy is probably even more of a pain now though with their vassal swarm. Anyways, beginning moves are to ally Timurids or Poland, if Poland does not Unite with Lithuania (who are likely to rival you) or everyone of import refuse an alliance forever you are probably doomed and should just restart. Now you need Feudalism land so you can get rid of the horrifying 50% tech penalty, Ryazan used to be the go-to for Feudalism land, see if you can murder them before they ally someone like Muscovy.

Now is where things get strange, thanks to Tribes estates, the more you conquer, the more land they demand percentage wise which means the benefits of conquering lands is not as big as you might think, trade is basically unaffected by this though and was my biggest income eventually. At the start you are nearby several very warlike tribes who are likely to rival you and begin warring with eachother, instead of grabbing their nearly worthless land, do Humiliate Rival on them when they are at war (Great horde is actually stronger at start than most of them). 100 of each monarch power for basically free. Not grabbing lands also means weaker rivals will remain valid for more Humiliation later. For money continually raid southern increased coring cost lands of Circassia and such, giving them back their crap provinces after each razing and Money extortion.

Use the large boost in Monarch power to get some vital ideas so you don't explode from rebels or otherwise makes you stable or richer, Humanist is obviously great for keeping the rebels on your vast lands a bit more manageable (neighbours spawning rebels who come over and add seperatism will still be a massive pain). When you have a decent tech advantage and ideas start expanding eastward towards profitable trade income, now is when you basically want to be at war forever just to keep your Horde unity high and those War reparations coming in. Timurids should have Timploded by now and all their land will either be up for grabs or have become Persia, which would be more troubling as they always rivaled me.

Keep Muscovy boxed off from expanding east through the hordes and don't expand too close to Ottos lest they get funny ideas, of course if you can ally them you basically have immunity from getting attacked for the rest of the game.

Leave Muscovy alone until you are hideously more powerful than them. They can pull a near infinite amount of troops out of their rear end and anything less than a curbstomp will leave you with massive debt, low manpower and high war exhaustion for decades while they merrily recover it all in less than 2 years.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

It can fire during a regency, doesn't matter what the heir is in that case. I think sending your King into battle as general still works, so do that if your heir is not of age yet.

A CONSORT regency, if you get a normal regency you're poo poo out of luck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mantis42 posted:

Play Mongolia, get Ming to support independence war on Oirat. Become tributary and expand in every direction with the priority being to cut off Ming westward expansion. Raze everything that isn't Tengri and horse lord your way to victory.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Then go bankrupt by 1500 because you have no income and razing doesn't pay the cost for waging war. Conquering the steppes isnt' the problem I'm having. As the Great Horde I can conquer the steppes and have a Persian march but my finances are in a death spiral. Either you hit your limit on loans and go bankrupt or you constantly debase currency and then go bankrupt a few decades later and have high corruption. If you're not the Timurids then forget ever reforming.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mantis42 posted:

Then go bankrupt by 1500 because you have no income and razing doesn't pay the cost for waging war. Conquering the steppes isnt' the problem I'm having. As the Great Horde I can conquer the steppes and have a Persian march but my finances are in a death spiral. Either you hit your limit on loans and go bankrupt or you constantly debase currency and then go bankrupt a few decades later and have high corruption. If you're not the Timurids then forget ever reforming.

Economic ideas as your first set is helpful and so is bullying other countries for maximum cash and not land.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I loving hate hordes and had the same problems you did. I had to completely ignore my force limit because there was no way you'll be able to pay for even 3/4 of it. Also, contrary to what you'd think you would be doing as a horde, disband all cavalry. You can't afford them. You'll be really vulnerable. You'll have to make smart alliances, or cheat and become a Ming tributary, making you immune to DoWs.

Try to expand into areas that will benefit your trade income, since the Tribes estate is going to leech the gently caress out of all your taxes and production.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Playing everywhere but continental Asia is pretty fun right now.

Paradox please unfuck Ming tributary mechanics. Hordes could use a balance pass, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Playing everywhere but continental Asia is pretty fun right now.

Paradox please unfuck Ming tributary mechanics. Hordes could use a balance pass, too.
Agreeing with this. Loving my Buganda / Victorian Three run right now, but I cant touch east Asia because the boogy man Ming.

Although this keeps happening and it is more annoying that I ever imagined:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You know you can fire them and get new ones right?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

You know you can fire them and get new ones right?
Yes, I've done that three months in a row and all I get is more piss. I really wish there was a better way.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

jesus christ :stonk:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

I loving hate hordes and had the same problems you did. I had to completely ignore my force limit because there was no way you'll be able to pay for even 3/4 of it. Also, contrary to what you'd think you would be doing as a horde, disband all cavalry. You can't afford them. You'll be really vulnerable. You'll have to make smart alliances, or cheat and become a Ming tributary, making you immune to DoWs.

Try to expand into areas that will benefit your trade income, since the Tribes estate is going to leech the gently caress out of all your taxes and production.

I think they lost either the bonus to reinforcements or to cavalry cost, because you used to be able to run huge cavalry armies with some merc infantry for sieging. Then people did Kazan WQs and poo poo got nerfed hard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sailor count continues to be an issue for me into the late 1600s in my Buganda game :negative:. I am the people of the Great lakes of Africa! We live on the water! The lake is our lifeblood! I guess we just dont know how to be sailors :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes, I've done that three months in a row and all I get is more piss. I really wish there was a better way.

what's your monthly income? advisor skill level is tied to that, and as far as I know there's not a random chance applied in addition to that. I'm surprised you're not even getting any level 2s (although you can still always get those through estates), but if you have high autonomy and so on development won't correlate straight into income.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Finished up my "For Odin!" run in 1730. France constantly loving with Iberia, to the point that the new world was still completely untouched by 1600, was pretty helpful for building up for the final war with Sweden. They allied the Commonwealth, who became the Emperor of the HRE after the reformation, and the Ottomans weren't willing to accept my CtA because they were constantly in massive debt for like 150 years.

Some excellent blobbing by the AI, though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to delete forts from subjects? I feed them land and they end up going into a 100 year debt spiral because they are paying for so many forts.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sailor count continues to be an issue for me into the late 1600s in my Buganda game :negative:. I am the people of the Great lakes of Africa! We live on the water! The lake is our lifeblood! I guess we just dont know how to be sailors :(

to be fair the differences between in-land lake travelling and trans atlantic sailing are considerable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Is there any way to delete forts from subjects? I feed them land and they end up going into a 100 year debt spiral because they are paying for so many forts.

Yeah, pay off their debt and then use the negative liberty desire you just bought to seize their land.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

what's your monthly income? advisor skill level is tied to that, and as far as I know there's not a random chance applied in addition to that. I'm surprised you're not even getting any level 2s (although you can still always get those through estates), but if you have high autonomy and so on development won't correlate straight into income.

I would say "high enough". Yes I have a CN that owns the whole Brazilian coastline and another that owns almost all of Australia.

Tsyni posted:

I always take the provinces with forts for myself, so I can delete them, because the AI is terrible at managing its forts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 11, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I would say "high enough". Yes I have a CN that owns the whole Brazilian coastline and almost all of Australia.

I always take the provinces with forts for myself, so I can delete them, because the AI is terrible at managing its forts.

I know, I know. I've played a million hours and I try to do that for the most part, but it's not always feasible. Just wondered if there was something I might have missed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I would say "high enough". Yes I have a CN that owns the whole Brazilian coastline and another that owns almost all of Australia.

Huh yeah on the wiki it says the cutoff it 50 a month. if you hire estate advisors, what level are they?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Huh yeah on the wiki it says the cutoff it 50 a month. if you hire estate advisors, what level are they?
They have been strictly level 3s since before 1500. Usually there is at least one not-Estate level 3 advisor available, but I went 6 or 7 months firing three level ones - then after that I got a 1, 2, and 3 (the 3 was of course something not very useful, but at least a 3).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So the Iberian wedding fired finally. Now I ate half of Portugal, the two english provinces adjacent to Navarra, and own tangiers ceuta melilla Fez and gharb.

Tlemcen is my vassal, planning to feed them Morocco and parts of Tunis when I get the chance, Aragon and naples my junior pu partners, and I am best buddies with the Pope. In order to get a chance at the Burgundian inheritance I also married them,so I am over relations cap

I have unlocked exploration and expansion, and I am the only one colonizing America as of 1502. Portugal will be vassalized in the next war.

Now the big question... What military idea should I go for? I will inevitably butt heads with France sooner or later, and I will have a huge colonial empire so I am tempted between quantity, offensive or defensive...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 11, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sounds like a textbook case for defensive. With the huge colonial empire, numbers probably won't be your issue, and you're probably going to want to cancel out France's morale.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I agree, I would 90% go Defensive there. The Military Tradition, Morale Bonus, Upkeep reduction, Reinforce speed, and Fort Defense + Enemy attrition all play to your situation. A good way gently caress with France would be to let them die on your forts for a little before you engage. Spain gets the Morale and Discipline from ideas early, so letting France deplete some manpower on your mountain forts before you smash them could work really well.

The other 10% would be going Quality - it helps your navy, gives you the Military Tradition, and teams well with your national idea bonuses.

edit: Quality also has :discourse: Policies associated with it, especially if you are going to take Innovative (+20% Infantry Combat), Economic (+5% Discipline), and Religious (+5% Morale and +10% Siege Ability).
I know people say that you shouldnt pick Idea groups based on Policies, but I find they can make all the difference in the late game when you need to face down the Ottomans, France, and/or Ming.

In my Buganda game (where I dont think I am going to be able to get the "Hoarder" achievement because there are no West African Pagans left :( ) I am planning on dropping Expansion (its a baaaad idea group on the whole, but essential if you want/need to colonize) for Innovative so I can activate Space Marines.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 11, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
You should definitely not pick the first 2-3 idea groups based on the policies you can get from them. I think that from the fourth group on, you can start thinking about using groups for policies.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Good, defensive it is. For later I think I am going with trade, religious and quality to improve on my NIs. Maybe economic too if I happen to conquer a lot of gold provinces :D

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dance Officer posted:

You should definitely not pick the first 2-3 idea groups based on the policies you can get from them. I think that from the fourth group on, you can start thinking about using groups for policies.
Eh, I think this depends on the situation and your goals. I do it all the time these days and it has worked out well. If know I am going to have to fight Ming/Ottomans/France/Spain I go straight for the Space Marine policies (notably the +20% Infantry Combat Ability from Innovative and Quality, also taking Economic over Administrative (especially if I know I will need to seed Institutions) because Econ has some great Policies compared to Admin.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you've formed Spain you also get to pick -30% shock damage received as one of your Age of Reformation splendor bonuses. I imagine that would help quite a bit in a hell war against France.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, I'm planning to transition from a CK2 game to EU4 here soon via the converter. I know it works pretty well overall and I'm not really equipped to do any heavy duty modding myself but:

A) If I've formed a titular empire, I understand it's gonna give me a randomized grab bag of NIs. How would I mod my NIs? I imagine I can handle something as limited in scope as that.

B) In this kind of situation, what kind of Ages bonuses would it even give me?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, I'm planning to transition from a CK2 game to EU4 here soon via the converter. I know it works pretty well overall and I'm not really equipped to do any heavy duty modding myself but:

A) If I've formed a titular empire, I understand it's gonna give me a randomized grab bag of NIs. How would I mod my NIs? I imagine I can handle something as limited in scope as that.

B) In this kind of situation, what kind of Ages bonuses would it even give me?

A) When you export, it creates a mod in the ck2 documents directory. If you add your custom NI set there, you can also modify the triggers so that it attaches to your new nation

B) There's a map of CK2 titles -> EU4 nations, although this does not work if you have either a)renamed your title or b)use dynasty names for titles. If neither of those are the case, then you get the tags of your nation and any Age bonuses associated. The converter does not add new Age bonuses

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This Buganda game has been one hell of a ride. Someone let me know if you dont want me posting poo poo about these longass achievement run games but I know some people enjoy the bizarro storylines that can happen.

The world JUST got revealed to me when I got to Diplotech 23 and got Imperialism (which has me feeling :signings: ). I finally had all of Africa filled in maybe 30-40 years ago? Felt great to see it all colonized and filled in.

I've been able to see the coast of England for while - I think the entire country is a barren hellscape from all of the wars and revolts there. It has alternated between Scottish, French, and English rule for a while. The rest of Europe must have consistently been a thunderdome because loving Ayutthaya and Korea are great powers in 1687?!? (this means that they are not Ming Tributaries, somehow! (I am going to be going after Ayutthaya for at least a little more land down there because of trade node shenanigans)). My Colonial Brazil has been beating up other colonial nations in South America off and on which has made me happy.

Bahmanis and Tabarestan are both longtime allies. Tabarestan has been a real bro when fighting the Ottomans - I am hoping to help them form Persia in the hopes that it makes them even stronger. I jumped on the Ottomans when they were 7k in debt and 50% occupied by Austria and friends plus 25% occupied by rebels about 20 years ago - eventually Egypt popped out. Once I hit the Ottomans again I think I will nibble on Egypt just for shits/to stop them from stealing tradeflow from Gulf of Aden.

I am still Fetishist and I will not be able to get the achievement for unlocking 13 spirits or whatever, because I didnt get all three of the ones in West Africa before the nations who have them disappeared. (I am considering conquering Mossi's land, converting it, and releasing them just to try to game the system).

I am finally at the point (after seeding Feudalism, Renaissance, Colonialism, and Printing Press plus growing to this point) that I am current and ahead of time on all the techs. Once I finish my 6th Idea group (Offensive) I am going to drop Expansion for Innovative then drop Exploration for Administrative, I guess? Comedy option would be Maritime so I can Confirm Thalassocracy and have more tradeships.

In this game I have been riding at both land and naval forcelimits ever since I got Zanzibar on lockdown. I had constant trouble with Sailors until I stated some more coastal land (I've been conservative about stating things and have not stated anything that does not send its trade to Zanzibar). I have also managed to develop my goldmines so that I have been riding at -0.1 inflation growth at all times, until just recently when my trade income started getting completely absurd.

I also ran into this strange thing I never saw before called a Mercenary cap or something?!? Turns out there are in fact some strange rules that sets a hard limit on available mercs that can come into play. I knew that there was a cap but I never even came close to hitting it, seems like something that could be balanced better?

edit: holy moly, I was looking through my other screenshots from this run:
Here is 158 years ago: http://i.imgur.com/GMnZTIg.png
Here is 112 years ago: http://i.imgur.com/ac4LW1f.png
here is 30 years ago: http://i.imgur.com/FCEIWZk.png (you can see that most of the world is still FoW)

That reminds me, one huuuuge factor for my success is that I have had the most amazing run of rulers - I dont know if I have ever had a ruler with fewer than 10 MPs all game. I have had two 5/5/5s that started around 20 and lasted till at least 50. I had a 6/6/3 that lasted for 40 years. The list goes on and boy howdy does it make growing like this nuts.

Mans posted:

to be fair the differences between in-land lake travelling and trans atlantic sailing are considerable.
This is a fair point, I just felt like bemoaning the fact that I was having trouble with Sailors as a lakefaring civilization who owns the majority of the east coast of Africa, but countries without watery traditions and backgrounds like Austria and Russia can field huge navies even with a short coastlines :v:.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 12, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kaza42 posted:

B) There's a map of CK2 titles -> EU4 nations, although this does not work if you have either a)renamed your title or b)use dynasty names for titles. If neither of those are the case, then you get the tags of your nation and any Age bonuses associated. The converter does not add new Age bonuses

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you aggressively disown heirs and abdicate, statistically speaking you can have your average monarch points in the 12+ region so going a whole game without anything worse than a 3/3/3 isn't that weird any more

• Locked thread