Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Jose posted:

Blackwater will be running it though. More money in that

Whatever Blackwater wants to do is fine, as long is it makes the Afghans rise up and kill them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

in the liberal west, crimes committed in the pursuit of capital are considered unideological and therefore less sinister then crimes committed for other reasons.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

just to be clear, i think that you have to be credulous as gently caress or malicious on the level of holocaust denial to believe that the british cabinet went out of it's way to deny one particular region which happened to have an independence movement that it was opposed to food shipments when repeatedly informed that there was a famine, even when those shipments were at no cost from allies

from the way this post is written i can't tell if ur agreeing with me or calling me a holocaust denier so it might be time to call it a night dude

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

from the way this post is written i can't tell if ur agreeing with me or calling me a holocaust denier so it might be time to call it a night dude

next level centrism, my man

OR MAYBE I FORGOT A FEW WORDS OKAY?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

next level centrism, my man

h rs oe th ry

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i think you're a holocaust denier

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

rude

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brutal killings during a 10 year period: inexcusable evil

Sometimes negligent, sometimes purposeful brutal imperialism, famine, and general suffering for 400 years: kinda bad but would we have smartphones today without it? :thunk:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

Sometimes negligent, sometimes purposeful brutal imperialism, famine, and general suffering for 400 years: kinda bad but would we have smartphones today without it? :thunk:

yes but they'd all run on Linux so it was basically worth it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Have you considered the cost of shipping?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

nice doubledown

is it on the new dollar menu?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly can't believe Hamprince isn't trolling anymore. Either that or he's like, literally an urban slumlord and that's why he thinks capitalism deserves so many free passes

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Imagine how much we could have advanced if we had just let the Nazis do their research.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I honestly can't believe Hamprince isn't trolling anymore. Either that or he's like, literally an urban slumlord and that's why he thinks capitalism deserves so many free passes

hamprince lusts for jewish extermination

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

i'm literally mr peanut. my first name is Richard and I drive around in a giant peanut-shaped car called the nutmobile

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MizPiz posted:

Imagine how much we could have advanced if we had just let the Nazis do their research.

Not sure if the joke is that's kind of what happened, they grabbed all the best Nazi scientists and set them up in fancy labs and we got space

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
the ones we didn't want doing their research were torturing people to try to prove nazi racial theories

i'm not sure our OSes could get any more aryan, as it turns out

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the extremely unethical (to put it mildly) 'research' the nazis did during the holocaust was almost entirely serial killer poo poo like injecting blue dye into people's eyes to see if it would turn them into aryans or cutting out vital organs to see how long a human could survive without them. the uselessness was one of the many reasons the medical community ignored their findings after the war. if you want something legitimately really bad the allies did in the aftermath of the war, a bunch of Japanese war criminals got amnesty in exchange for research they did on chemical weapons which (surprise surprise) they performed using civilian captives as guinea pigs. Last Podcast on the Left has an episode on that I believe

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Hodgepodge posted:

the ones we didn't want doing their research were torturing people to try to prove nazi racial theories

only if they're on RISC architecture instead of the impure NWO (((x86))) instruction set

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hodgepodge posted:

Well now we'll never know

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Somebody's forgetting about the Holodomor

i too repeat nazi propaganda when its convenient to make up no you arguments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_Plan

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

*resumes arguing that Churchill Did Nothing Wrong*

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Top City Homo posted:

i too repeat nazi propaganda when its convenient to make up no you arguments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_Plan

The Holodomor tends to refer to Stalin grabbing grain despite bad grown conditions (and the failure of Lysenkoism) and relocations of minority groups around the Soviet Union.

Though it is frightening that if never heard of the Nazis doing this before

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
In the same light, as the foreign leader, Winston Churchill’s politics were not my politics. He was kind of a conservative guy in many respects. But nobody can deny that as a wartime leader, he rallied the British people when they stood virtually alone against the Nazi juggernaut and rallied them and eventually won an extraordinary victory.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

logikv9 posted:

In the same light, as the foreign leader, Winston Churchill’s politics were not my politics. He was kind of a conservative guy in many respects. But nobody can deny that as a wartime leader, he rallied the British people when they stood virtually alone against the Nazi juggernaut and rallied them and eventually won an extraordinary victory.

wow the guy who said that sounds like a real nazi

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

:cripes:

he did that because he put his politics aside for the sake of self-preservation, and the british people had a common enemy to rally behind on. Politics means poo poo if you don't have the country to administrate with in the first place~

That fact doesn't change the negatives. You really like to exchange one for the other, it's a lump sum of everything at once, it's not something to cherry pick out. The world just doesn't work like that where suddenly it shifts gears because of one or the other that you want to concern troll about on particulars. It all happens at once, simultaneously.

It's just that it's really dangerous to adulate human figures, because nobody is perfect and they have their flaws so you shouldn't even defend them ever, so stop doing that :rolleyes:

You can in fact, cherry pick the good attributes of said human figures as a model example to compound and improve upon throughout the course of human history until we're either eradicated or become beings of pure thought, neanderthalizing ourselves.

It really is not hard, so you can stop with the "ooh my, look at that contradiction, isn't that such a contradiction??!?" *gets the vapors*

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the us should have let germany pound the brits a bit more, god knows they had it coming

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Fallen Hamprince posted:

how can you possibly need attention this desperately

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

how can you possibly need attention this desperately

goons gonna goon

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

KomradeX posted:

The Holodomor tends to refer to Stalin grabbing grain despite bad grown conditions (and the failure of Lysenkoism) and relocations of minority groups around the Soviet Union.

Though it is frightening that if never heard of the Nazis doing this before

the extreme side of the holodomor argument is a combination of the Bengal independence starvation claim against churchill and the nazi hunger plan turned around and made against the soviet union by ukranian nazis/nationalists etc.

if you look at the historical context: famines were a fact of the Russian Empire, kulaks actually owned most and killed most of their farm animals, there were no famines after collectivization other than during ww2 and a small period after, exports from ukraine went from 5~ tonnes to 1.8 a year later as soon as the extent of the shortages were discovered. so its a huge stretch to claim genocide and a lot of nasty tricks are used that wouldn't be accepted in any other context (birth deficit for example, the argument that theoretical births that didn't happen equal actual dead).

I am not saying that Ukranians didn't starve during collectivization or that many Ukranians weren't forcibly relocated, its just that the genocide argument is an out of context nationalist/nazi polemic created to smear and to rally around nationalism. That's the context of hamprince's counterargument re: Bengal anyway and thats what i was replying about

Top City Homo has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Aug 10, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I would say that the British were intentionally negligent in Bengal. Also why do I say they were not much better then the Naziis when all is said and done? Beyond the famines done so as to increase the cash reserves of those at the top, there is also the Opium wars/ Done so that the stock holders of the EIC could force the Chinese to not try to stop the poison of Opium from infecting their society anymore.

I actually say despite being a bit self serving Americas heart was in the right place in WW2, despite still being a racist hole more often then not . But the British on the other hand were jsut trying to save their empire built on complete misery.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/the-third-waheeeeeeyyyy?utm_term=.ymJvB0Vp0#.te11YjGqj

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Somebody's forgetting about the Holodomor

The British Empire had about 50 million famine deaths through the 19th century, Stalin is nowhere near the Raj's league.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Was it Churchill or Patton who wanted to immediately rearm the Nazis so they could help us invade the Soviet Union?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

KomradeX posted:

Was it Churchill or Patton who wanted to immediately rearm the Nazis so they could help us invade the Soviet Union?

Patton. Even British High Command realized it would be insanely stupid (their planning for it was called Operation Unthinkable and the entire premise was based on Stalin or the US initiating iirc)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

logikv9 posted:

And we kicked him out before the war was even over, the fat gently caress lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

Patton. Even British High Command realized it would be insanely stupid (their planning for it was called Operation Unthinkable and the entire premise was based on Stalin or the US initiating iirc)

Okay yeah I remember the Brita had some inane plan for World War III in 1946, it's really sad how much of Todd cult of Patton and Macarthur exist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patton had the good grace to get himself killed before he could really agitate for attacking the Red Army, and McArthur's personality cult is only performed by complete morons. One of those morons may happen to be the president, but still.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Patton had the good grace to get himself killed before he could really agitate for attacking the Red Army, and McArthur's personality cult is only performed by complete morons. One of those morons may happen to be the president, but still.

I don't think the president has ever adhered to a cult of personality other than his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I don't think the president has ever adhered to a cult of personality other than his own

Trump is a member of the McArthur cult in the sense that he thinks of himself as McArthur.

• Locked thread