Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fereydun posted:

my favorite part of modern capcom fg production is how they manage to strike the bizarrely stupid combination of giving folks the simultaneous impressions of "they're making games only to appeal to pro players" and "they're dumbing down games trying to appeal to casuals"

and they do neither particularly well

marvel 3 was a step in the right direction, tbh. just make more games that maybe arent perfect but strive to do something fun and then add more casual modes or w/e.

wasnt that the last game neo_g worked on? neo_g was like the embodiment of capcom where he just did poo poo because it seemed fun and made a game. 50% of the time it was good at high level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

anime was right posted:

wasnt that the last game neo_g worked on? neo_g was like the embodiment of capcom where he just did poo poo because it seemed fun and made a game. 50% of the time it was good at high level.

yep, after that neo_g was on game manual editing duty afterwards because capcom is full of retards

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

So what games did neo_g mess up on because I know you can't possibly be saying that 3s isn't the greatest game ever made

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

brian posted:

So what games did neo_g mess up on because I know you can't possibly be saying that 3s isn't the greatest game ever made

he messed up on 3s

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The only mistake in 3s is that Sean isn't the best character

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol the guy in charge of that esports thing just got a promotion

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anime was right posted:

looks like he left everyone else behind

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only mistake neo_g made besides 3S is that Dormammu isn't the best character in UMVC3 and doesn't synergize with Frank and Dante

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

he rose up

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

brian posted:

didn't he leave to work on KOF14? that turned out pretty well

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

DLC Inc posted:

didn't he leave to work on KOF14? that turned out pretty well

he left his exciting job making instruction manuals at capcom, so it's basically like he was forced

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the best part was they stuck him on a dead job. Instruction manuals have been bare bones or non-existent for years now.

they basically poo poo-canned him in the most japanese way possible.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

reminder that the capcom side of mvci literally has 2 new characters in a 30 man cast

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Mega Man X, and some darkstalkers character I don't care about? Is that seriously it?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
That seems bad but then you remember Capcom has no characters anybody cares about outside tiny fanbases for old games.

Like I'm mad for DMC but that series hasn't had a new Capcom game in 10 years, it's lucky we got Dante at all.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fellblade posted:

That seems bad but then you remember Capcom has no characters anybody cares about outside tiny fanbases for old games.

Like I'm mad for DMC but that series hasn't had a new Capcom game in 10 years, it's lucky we got Dante at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

*your

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fellblade posted:

Why didn't they put Jack Baker in goddammit. I wanted a level 3 super where he runs you over in a car

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I still don't really get how their system of putting the top 14 people on the MvCI leaderboard into CapcomCup is going to work when the game is on three different platforms with no crossplay.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
1. It's not final
2. Just fuckin' divide it between them equally

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Why didn't they put Jack Baker in goddammit. I wanted a level 3 super where he runs you over in a car

Jack and Leon would have been more fun than Chris and Nemesis again.

Bullseye and Daredevil also would have been cooler than Hawkeye and probably Gamora. Put in Drax to be the "wolverine function" and Ms. Marvel for the Dhalsim/Skrull "function" lol

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fadam posted:

I still don't really get how their system of putting the top 14 people on the MvCI leaderboard into CapcomCup is going to work when the game is on three different platforms with no crossplay.

Oh thats simple.

Only ps4 counts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fellblade posted:

2. Just fuckin' divide it between them equally
please explain how you divide 14 into whole numbers three ways

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like Hawkeye in a vacuum, but I do not like Cinematic Universe Hawkeye

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I like Hawkeye in a vacuum, but I do not like Cinematic Universe Hawkeye

What do you have against our fair Disney Princess?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hawkguy is (was?) The best thing Hawkeye ever did

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The problem with dividing it equally is that only one of the platforms is going to have any meaningful competition on it at all. All five smooth brains who bought it on Xbone would get an invite.

Honestly, as bad as it was, the cross platform play in SFV was one of the few cool things about that game. Ditching it entirely and making their online qualification contest way more complicated than it has to be is peak capcom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

The problem with dividing it equally is that only one of the platforms is going to have any meaningful competition on it at all. All five smooth brains who bought it on Xbone would get an invite.

this is a really weird insult

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Honestly, as bad as it was, the cross platform play in SFV was one of the few cool things about that game. Ditching it entirely and making their online qualification contest way more complicated than it has to be is peak capcom.

It only had crossplay because it was only on PS4 and PC. If a game comes out on PS4 and Xbox it becomes essentially impossible to do (Sony and Microsoft have no interest in trying to make their networks compatible with each other, and you're not gonna just pick one console to favor for crossplay and expect that to be cool with the other). It's not like they just forgot or thought no one cared.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Endorph posted:

this is a really weird insult

Yeah. Anyone who buys this game on any platform is dumb.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Would you guys be more interested in this game if it had a F2P model?

I'm not as down on it as most of the people in here, but I have next to no interest in spending close to a hundred bucks on a game that will probably have bad net code and a small player base.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

fadam posted:

Would you guys be more interested in this game if it had a F2P model?

I'm not as down on it as most of the people in here, but I have next to no interest in spending close to a hundred bucks on a game that will probably have bad net code and a small player base.

no they'd make it even worse as evidenced by gems in sfxt and we would rather they just in general fire all their upper management and hire good people who like making good games (they used to have a lot of them) and stop trying to gouge their (ex) fanbase and maybe listen to them or something idk

the good fg capcom died in like 2002 anyway so I don't hold out much hope, ASW have filled their niche for me personally so the only value new capcom releases have anymore is for making fun of their decline

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, I'd try it out for free. I'll probably buy it on sale eventually just because I like knowing a bit about most fighting games, but yeah, the cost-value proposition here is pretty poo poo.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm going to save my money for the superior fighting game that's releasing in September, which is, and I'm as shocked as you are, pokken

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

canoshiz posted:

Yeah. Anyone who buys this game on any platform is dumb.

y'know I get some of the criticisms but there has always been an insane nerd entitlement complex in the Eff Gee See that is downright unbearable

fadam posted:

:lol:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 16, 2017

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Marvel realist

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A $100 ugly game with lots of negative press coming from a studio who completely bungled their last release probably isn't going to get huge numbers, and those numbers get even smaller when you divide them up into three because of no crossplay.

Before you talk about how the Marvel license is a big draw, there are just over five hundred people playing Marvel Heroes right now, and that's a free game in a less niche market with a much cooler roster.

Injustice 2 did well, but it also has a whole slew of single player stuff (character levels, a gear system, move unlocks, cinematic story mode, that AI fighter thing) that normies go crazy for. MvCI has basically nothing like that.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 16, 2017

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Game looks worse than we'd like, SFV had a bad release even if Capcom are genuinely supporting it, netcode is likely to be bad because there is no such thing as good netcode for games that require frame specific inputs in a PvP situation, fair if hyperbolic statements. Not wanting to buy the game also fine.

Pretty sure you can buy MVCI for like $50 though so calling it $100 is just a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There are lots of fighting games with good netcode and the feature complete version of the game is literally $119.99 CAD on the Playstation store.

• Locked thread