Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So apparently TR4 is getting support for the next two generations, and it's theoretical possible to scale to four working chips. I can't wait until 2020 rolls around.

Intel: Guys we're release our 10nm 28C/48T product for 2066-V2! Wait, why is no one buying?!
AMD: Because 48C/96T bitches! Yeeeehah *leaps out of van*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well why not posted:

techtubers.png

view counts make goon sad

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The two modes with TR seem to be a pain in the rear end. For me it feels too much unnecessary thinking and tweaking. I'll look at the new intel 6 core models, and if they really can go ~5GHz+ on all cores with decent temps it is the way to go. Amd just won't catch intel in single threaded performance this year.

(Or maybe it just looks like so because anandtech used garbo ddr 2400 or something instead of 3200+..)

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 10, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

FaustianQ posted:

So apparently TR4 is getting support for the next two generations, and it's theoretical possible to scale to four working chips. I can't wait until 2020 rolls around.

Intel: Guys we're release our 10nm 28C/48T product for 2066-V2! Wait, why is no one buying?!
AMD: Because 48C/96T bitches! Yeeeehah *leaps out of van*

Cinebench multithread scores over 9000?!?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

view counts make goon sad

Yeah they're all basically the same info, just goes to show how much presentation is a factor. Although, with HWC, the presentation is kinda part of the content.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ihmemies posted:

The two modes with TR seem to be a pain in the rear end. For me it feels too much unnecessary thinking and tweaking. I'll look at the new intel 6 core models, and if they really can go ~5GHz+ on all cores with decent temps it is the way to go. Amd just won't catch intel in single threaded performance this year.

(Or maybe it just looks like so because anandtech used garbo ddr 2400 or something instead of 3200+..)

lol what? Were you really looking to compare a 6 core chip to a 16 in completely different price and use brackets?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

B-Mac posted:

lol what? Were you really looking to compare a 6 core chip to a 16 in completely different price and use brackets?

Yes. That's what many people do though. Buy $1000 gaming cpu when a $300-400 cpu would be good enough, or even better.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. That's what many people do though. Buy $1000 gaming cpu when a $300-400 cpu would be good enough, or even better.

I guess I don't see it that often so it seems really silly to me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You should buy the latest and greatest Intel prescott extreme edition friend, more gigahertz more powerrrr

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

Are you new to computers and do you know that TR is a HEDT chip, not a consumer gaming CPU?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm at work, what's this UMA NUMA poo poo about?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Basically AMD has a switch that improves performance depending on whether the program is NUMA aware or not, but you have to activate it manually in UEFI, thus requiring a restart.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

UMA - Both dies are turned on and the CPU scheduler divides processes up between then
NUMA - One die is disabled, you now only have 8c/16t. Increases compatibility with games and software. Example, Dirt will not start in UMA mode.

FaustianQ posted:

Basically AMD has a switch that improves performance depending on whether the program is NUMA aware or not, but you have to activate it manually in UEFI, thus requiring a restart.
AMD has software that can do this. In Paul's hardware he shows the software for like 10-15s. AMD Ryzen Master.

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/08/Ryzenmaster_legacy.png from ArsTechnica

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 10, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Big chips with multiple memory controllers like Threadripper have non-uniform access to memory. What that means is that cores 1-8 have memory that's "local", and so do cores 9-16. Memory latency can vary dramatically based on whether you are reaching out to access non-local memory.

Software will either be aware of this and deal with it, or suffer inconsistent performance.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Man 1900x looks sweet

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SlayVus posted:

UMA - Both dies are turned on and the CPU scheduler divides processes up between then
NUMA - One die is disabled, you now only have 8c/16t. Increases compatibility with games and software. Example, Dirt will not start in UMA mode.

AMD has software that can do this. In Paul's hardware he shows the software for like 10-15s. AMD Ryzen Master, Creator Mode and Game Mode.

Huh, Anandtech article made it sound way more complicated. Also, it doesn't deactivate a die, it just disables SMT.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Are you new to computers and do you know that TR is a HEDT chip, not a consumer gaming CPU?

X399 aorus gaming? X399 gaming pro carbon? X399 fatal1ty pro gaming? X399 zenith from asus has no "gaming" but it's republic of gamers branded and comes with full rgb led arrays

So please tell that to the motherboard manufacturers, not me. The launch motherboard lineup consists purely of gaming motherboards.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Ihmemies posted:

X399 aorus gaming? X399 gaming pro carbon? X399 fatal1ty pro gaming? X399 zenith from asus has no "gaming" but it's republic of gamers branded and comes with full rgb led arrays

So please tell that to the motherboard manufacturers, not me. The launch motherboard lineup consists purely of gaming motherboards.

I was hoping the TR gaming scores would be better, but the 1800x beats it. Though if you're a streamer, it makes a lot of sense to buy threadripper.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

Huh, Anandtech article made it sound way more complicated. Also, it doesn't deactivate a die, it just disables SMT.

Paul says game mode and create mode specially disable a die. https://youtu.be/Fr1ZlUu8v_Q?t=420s

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eyochigan posted:

I was hoping the TR gaming scores would be better, but the 1800x beats it. Though if you're a streamer, it makes a lot of sense to buy threadripper.

This is going to kill the little 2-in-1 cases that let you put a mITX encoding PC in the same case as your ATX gaming PC.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SlayVus posted:

NUMA stands for non-uniform memory access. UMA is, predictably, uniform memory access.

UMA - Both dies are turned on and managed by "AMD" so it appears to just be a 16 core/32t processor at the OS and beyond level
NUMA - Both dies are turned on but they function more like two physical 8core/16t processors at the software level.

The big difference is UMA mode has to auto-magic away the memory latency differences between dies so you get +/- ~20% performance depending on what happens. NUMA has the faster performance "always" unless a NUMA-aware application needs to do an operation that takes the performance hit. I think? I am not really up on how windows deals with this stuff.

The other mode switch, that AMD calls "Legacy Gaming Mode" or something, is pretty much smt/hyperthreading on or off. At least that's how the anandtech article describes it, and judging by the performance in some of the benchmarks it seems true.

I don't know if anyone has benchmarked UMA vs NUMA, but you have to be nostradmus to predict which applications and loads will come out ahead on which. It relies on so many unknown factors. Generally, if it's a high core application that supports NUMA then NUMA will be better. If it's a low core application, provided the UMA implementation is solid, it shouldn't matter. If it's a high core implementation and doesn't support NUMA then UMA should be better? Anandtech didn't bench this and I haven't hunted around for other benchmarks.

NUMA architectures are fairly common on the server side. We have a machine with 120 or so 16 core numa nodes. :getin:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 10, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

I didn't know they designed threadripper

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-test-1950x-1920x/3

2/4 channel testing

It's too bad serve the home doesn't have a threadripper review

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

The other mode switch, that AMD calls "Legacy Gaming Mode" or something, is pretty much smt/hyperthreading on or off. At least that's how the anandtech article describes it, and judging by the performance in some of the benchmarks it seems true.

Legacy mode specifically disables a die, not SMT. https://youtu.be/Fr1ZlUu8v_Q?t=420s At least according to this review. This way, for games and applications that aren't NUMA aware, they don't have to worry about any of that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Isn't it in the os, via the Ryzen master app?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 10, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SlayVus posted:

Legacy mode specifically disables a die, not SMT. https://youtu.be/Fr1ZlUu8v_Q?t=420s At least according to this review. This way, for games and applications that aren't NUMA aware, they don't have to worry about any of that.
I think that guy is wrong. Look at the anand benchmarks. With a die disabled 8c/16t would never beat 16c/32t in the exact compute heavy workload that disabling SMT would give an advantage in, and that's exactly what happens.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/4 (UMA/NUMA are the page before, that's Legacy)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/7 (Digicortex benchmark, legacy mode destroys it)

The UMA/NUMA switch is for things that aren't NUMA aware. All anand benches are in UMA mode
The legacy mode switch is SMT (amd's hypterthreading) on/off.

My understanding is:
UMA+Legacy Mode shows 16 cores/16 threads
NUMA+Legacy Mode should show two 8core/8threads
UMA should show 16cores/32threads and work with any application that can support 32 threads (DiRT was the given example of one hardcoded to not support more than 20)
NUMA should show two 8 cores/16 threads.

With that said, I am just reading about the threadripper now that benchmarks are out. I could be wrong.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 10, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
1920X/1950X OOS @ amazon

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

1920X/1950X OOS @ amazon

Jesus.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Isn't it in the os, via the Ryzen master app?

Anandtech was saying it was a BIOS/UEFI thing, but apparently it's not?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, Ars Technica has a screenshot of Ryzen Master with the option to enable Legacy mode and switch betewen UMA/NUMA. They said they got it quite late though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
There it is.

eames
May 9, 2009

From what I can tell you can change it in the Ryzen Master app but it still requires a reboot

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
TechRadar http://www.techradar.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x

"Games are absolutely playable"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

.....are they trying to make that graph misleading or bloat Intel's lead?

Who is able to see an 8th of a frame?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
All these reviews are just benchmarks comparisons against i9. I want a review of the actual platform, with examples of the kind of ludicrous bullshit you can get up to with 64 pcie lanes. What kind of video editing rig will you end up with if you make a point of jamming as much supplemental processing and nvme drives as possible into one system?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If games were aware of TR, there shouldn't be any difference between it and Ryzen (except on really thread heavy games), right?

Guessing AMD can implement some patches with game devs, like it did with Ryzen? (If they cba)

I hope they get called out a lot for that bs.

eames
May 9, 2009

oh man :lol:

the average difference in a worst case scenario (720p) seems to be around 1-2% and near zero at higher resolutions.

it seems like they added that legacy switch because some games like F1 2016 simply wouldn't launch on the 1950X with all cores/threads enabled :whoptc:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 10, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:wtc:

I had to check the article because I didn't believe you

e: Looks like they updated the graph to not be stupid

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 10, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just trodded through the Anandtech review. So they've compared Game Mode vs. Creator Mode. So in game mode SMT is disabled, too? I wonder how things look like with UMA but SMT enabled. Are there reviews that did that?

That said, the Anandtech one throttled my enthusiasm a bit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

:wtc:

I had to check the article because I didn't believe you

e: Looks like they updated the graph to not be stupid

A saved image of the page bahaha

ed: bahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Watching noted idiot Kyle Bennett destroy a $400 motherboard and rub his greasy jizz covered fingers all over the contacts of a 1950x has already made this the best AMD launch ever.