Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also, how do I get the fancy pistol shrimp guys? Wiki says you just need to be logged in with a paradox account, and I am, but I don't have them. I do have the blue birb. Also I have to log in every time I launch the game for some reason.

You have to opt into the bradbury beta in the beta tab of the properties menu of Stellaris to get the shrimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

GunnerJ posted:

I guess you might hear this a lot but it's killing me when I use your mod and cool interesting stuff comes up on planets I can never colonize. Worst was a bunch of neat precursor stuff on ringworld structural support sections with no potential habitability.

Otherwise I love your mod.

In my last live version the precursor ones no longer show up on ringworld subsections or non-habitable planets, but that's coming back. Because:

Something like this is in for the next version; (WIP)

It comes with all precursor modifiers (if on non-habitable worlds) or with some specific good modifiers (unnatural world, temple world, ship graveyards, and a few more). With game version 1.8+ This modifier will also make the planet show up in the expansion planner window so you can easily track dead worlds with cool modifiers that you can terraform later.

The terraforming code doesn't handle multiple modifiers well so I might end up merging it with the "terraforming candidate modifier" and replace the text on that one to be more generic for all cases where a world could be good enough to be terraformed.

Hope that helps ;)

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 10, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
oops accidentally quoted myself instead of editing previous post. I just woke up :<

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's not a problem really, but something that just struck me-

Galactic outskirts loser planet with 1 guy: "core world"

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Guilliman posted:

Thoughts?

Oh btw, you'll be pleased to hear I'm working with a few people to update my entire localisation. All modifier/event/tileblocker text will be updated, improved and expanded. I have a few people helping me out including an actual professional sci-fi writer & editor!

Great to hear, your planetary mod really reinvigorated my enjoyment of Stellaris. Thanks. I say go with the guaranteed event. Any excuse for you to write flavor text.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

NextSundayA.D. posted:

You have to opt into the bradbury beta in the beta tab of the properties menu of Stellaris to get the shrimp.

Caustic Soda posted:

Pre-sentient treatment is a separate policy from purging. Like treatment of pre-FTL civs, the policy only appears once you find some. Pre-sentients be tolerated or wiped out, no in-between.

Thanks!

I started a new game as the powerful Shell of Iron: Very Strong, Slow Breeders, Nonadaptive, Industrious. Government is Assembly of Clans: Warrior Culture Democracy + mining guilds. A new faction came out called the Glorious Banner so I decided to start fights (I usually play pacifist).
So I go to start a war and I was going over all the different war goals, loving around, and I wanted to check my stats irt the domination tree, I wanted to double check that I had the starter from that to make vassalization cheaper. I did, but when I went back to the war I couldn't actually do any war goals, it was stuck on the page where you can invite others to the war. This sucked because I wasn't sure if I picked vassal or tributary.

I think both setting up sectors and wargoals should be similar in the sense that you can freely mess around and make any hypothetical changes you want, and then you actually have to hit commit before it takes effect. It'd be helpful if there was a way to know exactly how outposts will affect the map as well.

Anyway with that combo plus a few very early techs my armies were up to like 7 or 8 damage when normally they'd only do like 3, so that was kinda cool. War Snails, man.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Outposts showing you what they're adding would be helpful, it can be hard to tell when they're entirely inside your borders and can be deleted.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Can anyone suggest decent not-abandoned mod that reduces the number of ships in game while maintaining balance otherwise? Some which do not add too much other crap.

I long for the MOO2 days where for a long time the fleets stayed relatively small, making every ship feel more special and worth naming and taking care of. I don't seem to care about ships in Stellaris, they are always just a big blob that doesn't do justice to the graphics even close up. So any suggestions for good mods alleviating this problem would be really appreciated.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Since no one has posted it, here is today's dev diary.

They talk about the revamp to the AI uprising that's designed to do more than mildly irritate you - the event, not the crisis, to clarify.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 10, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I like the option of switching to the rebels.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

That needs to be an option in every single Paradox game

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah that looks pretty sweet.

binge crotching posted:

That needs to be an option in every single Paradox game
Yessssss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crazypeltast52 posted:

I have two Tomb Worlds near my capital world that are the last uncolonized worlds in the galaxy. My main faction has Unhallowed Ground so I haven't colonized them or tried to terraform them yet, but I wanted to know if turning them into regular worlds would let me colonize them without upsetting that faction?

Living next to corpses = heretical.

Grinding up corpses into fertilizer for your new garden planet = great!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Guilliman posted:

In my last live version the precursor ones no longer show up on ringworld subsections or non-habitable planets, but that's coming back. Because:

Something like this is in for the next version; (WIP)

It comes with all precursor modifiers (if on non-habitable worlds) or with some specific good modifiers (unnatural world, temple world, ship graveyards, and a few more). With game version 1.8+ This modifier will also make the planet show up in the expansion planner window so you can easily track dead worlds with cool modifiers that you can terraform later.

The terraforming code doesn't handle multiple modifiers well so I might end up merging it with the "terraforming candidate modifier" and replace the text on that one to be more generic for all cases where a world could be good enough to be terraformed.

Hope that helps ;)

all its riches and technologies.

;)

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Does anybody know what happened to the thing from the last patch that was supposed to make map colors into different shades for visibility?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SirTagz posted:

Can anyone suggest decent not-abandoned mod that reduces the number of ships in game while maintaining balance otherwise? Some which do not add too much other crap.

I long for the MOO2 days where for a long time the fleets stayed relatively small, making every ship feel more special and worth naming and taking care of. I don't seem to care about ships in Stellaris, they are always just a big blob that doesn't do justice to the graphics even close up. So any suggestions for good mods alleviating this problem would be really appreciated.

Maybe this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=956286696

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Gah, was really hoping for a release date announcement...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I should play democracies more often. They're hella good for influence generation.

Trying to make space marxist-leninists and ended up with militarist/xenophile/egalitarian direct democracy which is a weird loving mix but kind of works, I get on well with my neighbors but I can invade dickheads and everyone has a good quality of life within the empire.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Huh. Might have to try that out and see if it actually helps with late game lag and giant ship balls.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

OwlFancier posted:

I should play democracies more often. They're hella good for influence generation.

Trying to make space marxist-leninists and ended up with militarist/xenophile/egalitarian direct democracy which is a weird loving mix but kind of works, I get on well with my neighbors but I can invade dickheads and everyone has a good quality of life within the empire.

i find a good pattern is to start in democracy and then switch over to oligarchic once your empire starts to solidify and you don't need to spend as much influence

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Late game I'm getting orbital research mandates, which are kind of worthless because every planet already has every research station it can support. Should I scrap stations and rebuild them for the influence?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

Late game I'm getting orbital research mandates, which are kind of worthless because every planet already has every research station it can support. Should I scrap stations and rebuild them for the influence?

you know i never thought of doing that

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you scrap stations while the mandate is active it goes into the negatives and doesn't help. I just get around that by scrapping 4 of each during the election, then rebuilding them as soon as the winner takes office and fulfill the mandate that way.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

you know i never thought of doing that

It seems so gamey, but I guess the voters wanted refreshed science stations?

Edit: I didn't realize it went negative, whoops.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If you don't want to be gamey, just build them reeeeally slowly. Once you hit a certain amount of planets, stations are not as useful. It's nice for RPing if you play that way because you will have less developed outer colonies that you don't give a poo poo about, just like all the cool space governments do in media!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I have a hard time playing out until the later events happen- there is a tipping point where my fleet just becomes absolutely dominant and rivals the Fallen Empires... at that point it is just so tedious to go blow everyone up that I end up just leaving it on 3x speed waiting for a few key pieces of research to happen.

What else is there to do mid-late game prior to the crisis events?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Not much, which is a major problem the devs have been trying to solve since basically release. Every update there's a bit more, and it looks like we're getting another tidbit with the Machine Uprisings this patch, but it still needs a lot of stuff yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you download the more events mod it adds at least one utterly loving insane pandora's box for you to open :stare:

Protip, if something looks suspicious, it probably is.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Omniblivion posted:

I have a hard time playing out until the later events happen- there is a tipping point where my fleet just becomes absolutely dominant and rivals the Fallen Empires... at that point it is just so tedious to go blow everyone up that I end up just leaving it on 3x speed waiting for a few key pieces of research to happen.

What else is there to do mid-late game prior to the crisis events?

man i've never hit that point

i used to be able to match strength with them eventually but someone happened between now and the last time i met and they're all stronger then i could ever hope to be.

my last game i hit the victory condition after every empire in the galaxy joined my neutral federation during the war in heaven. which was convent because the awakened empire on my doorstep was rocking a fleet 700k strong versus my 300k fleet that i could only afford thanks to a dyson sphere

almost immediately after i closed the victory screen, the not-zerg invaded on the edge of my territory, wore down my fleet with like twenty 80k strong fleets and ate all my planets
only one of my federation allies showed up to help, they had a 10k strong fleet.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Tech will probably be a lot more important in 1.8, where military tech advantages aren't almost entirely offset by higher mineral costs.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thank you for linking this. Getting tired of the slow crawl end game lag.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I split my corvettes to another fleet and it seems to work, mostly by logic I learned from WW1 navy sim rule the waves as having your torp boats separate from main battle fleet is how you win.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Thanks..

Also found this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877185890
Will give them both a try. i wonder what the differences are - basically they both attempt to do the same thing...

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

crazypeltast52 posted:

It seems so gamey, but I guess the voters wanted refreshed science stations?

Edit: I didn't realize it went negative, whoops.

I always think of it as classic democratic pork barrelling.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was looking up armies on the wiki and apparently my snail guys were able output damage that rivals a titanic beast on their own. This is not the geneseed or clone commando version, this was regular guys maybe five years or less into the game.
This is totally pointless and insane, but that poo poo really stacks. IIRC the boosts I had at the time were:
Very Strong
Powered Exoskeleton
Warrior Culture
recruited @ an Academy

With no general or attachments their max damage was like 8 and change. According to the wiki titans are max 9 damage. I can only imagine the morale damage was much less than godzillas though.

A while ago I had a weird string of luck where I was getting next to no ship tech but it was army on top of army stuff, and ever since then I've been weirdly interested in the ground combat part. I never went out of my way to try and max it out though I still wish ground combat was more important and cooler. It would be awesome to laser focus and create some kind of stargate tech and just directly assault people, but you would be pretty weak on the space side of things.

I don't know what you could do to ground combat to make it more interesting, unless you were able to design armies like how you design ships. Maybe just make it so there were infantry, cavalry, air support, and that's it? Different combos would be more effective against certain other compositions? Each hangar module in orbit counts as a bonus air army if you have the right tech?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I don't know what you could do to ground combat to make it more interesting, unless you were able to design armies like how you design ships. Maybe just make it so there were infantry, cavalry, air support, and that's it? Different combos would be more effective against certain other compositions? Each hangar module in orbit counts as a bonus air army if you have the right tech?

You could make it part of space combat with boarding actions.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You're describing something similar to the ES2 ground combat, which while not amazing is still better than the Stellaris version.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/895940587760824320

So, what purge type does this use if you're electing to purge some subset of a species and thus don't have a purge policy defined for it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The problem with ground combat is that by the time you get around to actually doing it, you've already essentially won. There's no excitement or chance or strategy to it, it's just a tedium tax you pay to convert your wins into warscore. There isn't really even a risk-vs-reward component to it. The planetary fortification bonuses and maluses are so overwhelming that there's no point assaulting before they're gone, and you don't need to bother splitting up your armies into anything smaller than overwhelming forces either, since ground battles are near-instant and you don't need to leave an occupation force to hold the planet. The only choices you make in the entire ground combat system are how many armies you want, how many army attachments you have the patience for, and where you want to park your troops while your fleets do all the actual fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem with ground combat is that by the time you get around to actually doing it, you've already essentially won. There's no excitement or chance or strategy to it, it's just a tedium tax you pay to convert your wins into warscore. There isn't really even a risk-vs-reward component to it. The planetary fortification bonuses and maluses are so overwhelming that there's no point assaulting before they're gone, and you don't need to bother splitting up your armies into anything smaller than overwhelming forces either, since ground battles are near-instant and you don't need to leave an occupation force to hold the planet. The only choices you make in the entire ground combat system are how many armies you want, how many army attachments you have the patience for, and where you want to park your troops while your fleets do all the actual fighting.

It's not gonna happen but I would love to see ground combat taken out of the game entirely. You nailed it - if you get to the point of landing troops, there's almost no question that you are eventually going to take the planet. The whole system, from building the armies to moving them around to attacking, is pure tedium. It's probably the most micro-intensive part of the game, other than maybe pop management, but at least that gets you something. I would love to see things work more like EU4. You park your fleet in orbit, maybe you need to have some sort of ground assault module, a bar ticks down based on offense vs. defense and whatever other factors, and then eventually you get the planet.

• Locked thread