Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The new Mortarion looks like a beautifully sculpted model that I'd never, ever want to paint. That's kind of been the running theme of all the Chaos releases for me over the past few years though. Also his Soul Edge scythe looks kinda awkward. I'm not a huge fan of the 30k one either though. Tallyman dude owns though, that's the weird 40k poo poo I love.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

What makes the Primaris models look good is the shockingly clean silhouettes. It used to be a hallmark of Marines and it is wonderful to go back to it.
I was genuinely surprised that the Primaris line was so restrained, I'm glad some folks at GW were willing to dial back the unnecessary baubles and bling for that release. I've been worried about your rank and file Marines losing their distinctive silhouettes and getting overdetailed since the last time the Tactical Squad kit got redone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What are people doing for their line troops in Admech? I split the spruce in the Starter box for a min unit of Rangers with an Arquebus + Omnispex and a min unit of Vanguard with Plasma + Data Tether, and I kinda feel like I hosed up doing that. Particular on outfitting the Alphas where I did what was on the box for the Ranger and gave the Alpha a power sword. I know I'm only going to play casually and it's not a big deal, but what should I be doing regarding troops?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just look at the DA and BA kits for that nonsense ruining them. The DA all got swords or reliquaries on their backs, and the Blood Angels Tacticals are straight up wearing Trump's apartment.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Just look at the DA and BA kits for that nonsense ruining them. The DA all got swords or reliquaries on their backs, and the Blood Angels Tacticals are straight up wearing Trump's apartment.

Things I bought 1 of and will not buy another: BA tactical squads. Way too much bling. The sanguinary guard and death company are pretty bad for being over-detailed too. Really enjoying painting up primaris, even the characters don't have too much random poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For Ad Mech troops I'm using a drawer and a ziploc of loose parts because gently caress cleaning those infantry models, and double gently caress their dangly rad detector bits that snap off when you clip them from the sprue.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

For Ad Mech troops I'm using a drawer and a ziploc of loose parts because gently caress cleaning those infantry models, and double gently caress their dangly rad detector bits that snap off when you clip them from the sprue.

Word of advice - don't glue those fuckers to the base until you've done the inside of the robe, or you will be very, very sad.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Corrode posted:

Lol did they really forget about Ironclad launchers twice

Also combi-gravs are back just in time for no one to ever use them.

Yes they did.

And they still didn't add a Combat Shield to the Company Champion's wargear profile.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Every leaked picture is a grainy, low-res piece of poo poo. It's 2017. They gotta be doing it themselves to build hype.

Ah yes, just like their brilliant marketing strategy of "leaking blurry photos of every page of the index books" last month

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Deleter posted:

What are people doing for their line troops in Admech? I split the spruce in the Starter box for a min unit of Rangers with an Arquebus + Omnispex and a min unit of Vanguard with Plasma + Data Tether, and I kinda feel like I hosed up doing that. Particular on outfitting the Alphas where I did what was on the box for the Ranger and gave the Alpha a power sword. I know I'm only going to play casually and it's not a big deal, but what should I be doing regarding troops?

I'm planning to use robots instead of Skitarii since Skitarii seem lame as hell.

Booley posted:

Things I bought 1 of and will not buy another: BA tactical squads. Way too much bling. The sanguinary guard and death company are pretty bad for being over-detailed too. Really enjoying painting up primaris, even the characters don't have too much random poo poo.

It took me the better part of a decade to paint all my BA because those things are loving exhausting to paint, even considering that I mixed and matched 1:1 with regular SM.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

I feel personally attacked.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Pendent posted:

I feel personally attacked.

Lots of nipples in his apartment, you see

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I like that Reiver sergeants can use both a knife and a gun. Makes me want to make them MSU size, so I can get two grenade throws for unit disabling (one for the Reivers, one for their Aggressor neighbors), two powerful carbine shots, and then two power charges.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 10, 2017

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played against double necron pilons last night with my Bobby g 3 raven list. Those things are terrifying. Kill a vehicle a turn.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Did you win? I heard they don't do much at all to infantry by comparison.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Deleter posted:

For my Skitarii, I only have 2 squads. 1 Ranger (with 2 Arquebus and 1 Plasma, Omnispex, Alpha has Arc Pistol + Power Maul) and 1 Vanguard. I forget what the Vanguard have, but they definitely have the Omnispex and I think Arc Rifles? I'm not sure. The alpha has a radium pistol and a power sword.

Corrode posted:

I'm planning to use robots instead of Skitarii since Skitarii seem lame as hell.

Yep. This is what I'm doing for my line troops. T5, W3 troops that fire off 5 Heavy Grav shots each? Yes please. Stick them next to your Dunecrawlers + Cawl, watch things melt, it's a great time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I tried the CSMblob Black Legion.

It's stupid and works surprisingly well. The BL trait makes all their marines surprisingly mobile too, being able to advance every turn.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm still having trouble making really good Space Marine lists. I'm playing Raven Guard because my dudes have raven icons and I'm emo. So, the RG tactic plus the existence of Apothecaries and Ancients pushes me towards infantry. But vehicles are also really good, so I am kinda ambivalent. I've found jump packs to be a little lackluster, and I find myself lacking in anti-tank every game. What are people running in terms of Marines lists that aren't Bobby G parking lots?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I tried the CSMblob Black Legion.

It's stupid and works surprisingly well. The BL trait makes all their marines surprisingly mobile too, being able to advance every turn.

how many squads did you take? I'm considering doing the same but I need to figure out how many squads to paint up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

how many squads did you take? I'm considering doing the same but I need to figure out how many squads to paint up.

2 squads of 20. I've only got 20 painted up, so I proxied the other unit.

Basically just jammed them straight up the middle of the board because there's no way in hell any terrain will give 20 marines cover.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

2 squads of 20. I've only got 20 painted up, so I proxied the other unit.

Basically just jammed them straight up the middle of the board because there's no way in hell any terrain will give 20 marines cover.

Neat. Do you think it would it have worked better as 4 squads of 10? or 3 squads of 15?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Neat. Do you think it would it have worked better as 4 squads of 10? or 3 squads of 15?

I'd say 4 squads of 10 just to get more special/heavy weapons. Basically, the bloblist is a gimmick list, and it works about as well as any other gimmick list. Hard to make your opponent deal with that many 3+ armour saves, but really handicapped in a lot of other areas (anti-tank being the big drawback).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd say 4 squads of 10 just to get more special/heavy weapons. Basically, the bloblist is a gimmick list, and it works about as well as any other gimmick list. Hard to make your opponent deal with that many 3+ armour saves, but really handicapped in a lot of other areas (anti-tank being the big drawback).

Fair enough. Time to order some plasma gun bitz

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm still having trouble making really good Space Marine lists. I'm playing Raven Guard because my dudes have raven icons and I'm emo. So, the RG tactic plus the existence of Apothecaries and Ancients pushes me towards infantry. But vehicles are also really good, so I am kinda ambivalent. I've found jump packs to be a little lackluster, and I find myself lacking in anti-tank every game. What are people running in terms of Marines lists that aren't Bobby G parking lots?

Naramyth will probably tell me I'm doing it wrong but for 2k pure Marines I have:

Pedro
Naked LT (Teeth of Terra)
2x rifle dreads
3x 5 tacs, flamers
2x 5 bikes, fist, 2 plasma
HB Devs
LRC
3x asscan razorbacks

Low drops, lots of infantry clearing stuff, plenty of anti-tank although I'd probably struggle against another Raider. The main thing I was finding was a lack of movement and the bikes do a lot to mitigate that and 10 T5 wounds is decent for parking on a remote objective.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
https://warhammer40000.com/mission-3-hold-line/

Tyranid players are going to be pissed. You need vehicles for this one.

Here's what I'm bringing this week. Captain and the 5 man tac squad in the stormraven, vanguardand the assault marines in the razorback.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [83 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 74pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Teeth of Terra

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
. . Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword
. . 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. . Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 97pts]
. . 3x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-melta
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 155pts]
. . 7x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Storm bolter
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Vanguard Veteran Squad [7 PL, 110pts]
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power sword
. . Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Storm shield
. . Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 160pts]: Twin lascannon, Two Heavy Bolters

Predator [9 PL, 189pts]: Predator autocannon, Two Lascannons

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 311pts]: Twin assault cannon, Twin multi-melta, Two Hurricane Bolters, Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 102pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

Created with BattleScribe

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I too run Raven Guard, and I flood the board with long range heavy weapons. Generally I go Hammer and Anvil, with the Hammer being Deep Striking Terminators (backed up with Deep Striking Tempestus Scions when I run mixed Guard/Marine lists) and a APC mobile element in Razorbacks and/or Rhinos. The Anvil is a heavy weapon laden gun line usually featuring Sternguard and/or Devastators. I'm a big fan of massed Missile Launchers on my Devs and rear-line Sternguard, though that's partially because my usual opponents (Dark Eldar, Marines, Chaos, and Necrons) don't have much T8 in their collections.

The trick to it, to my mind, is that the two primary Raven Guard abilities (-1 to hit past 12" and ability to setup pre-game 9"+ away from the enemy) can be leveraged really well in a long range shooting army with enough mobile elements to punish your enemy as they inevitably try to close in.

For instance, I like to reserve one ten man Sternguard unit with a couple of Missile Launchers and everyone else with Special Issue Bolters as a Strike from the Shadows unit. Then I'll build a gunline with my big guns and set up my APCs either to support the line or to threaten an objective somewhere. Finally, once I've seen how everything's deployed, I'll dump my Shadowy Sternguard on on objective or in some good cover somewhere or, occasionally, if I'm reasonably sure I'm going first and there's an isolated target, I'll put 'em 14-15" away from an enemy so I can Rapid Fire massed S.I.Bolters in to 'em.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

For my Skitarii, I only have 2 squads. 1 Ranger (with 2 Arquebus and 1 Plasma, Omnispex, Alpha has Arc Pistol + Power Maul) and 1 Vanguard. I forget what the Vanguard have, but they definitely have the Omnispex and I think Arc Rifles? I'm not sure. The alpha has a radium pistol and a power sword.

Yep. This is what I'm doing for my line troops. T5, W3 troops that fire off 5 Heavy Grav shots each? Yes please. Stick them next to your Dunecrawlers + Cawl, watch things melt, it's a great time.

This seems right. I hope Skitarii get a buff in the codex because I like their models way more than the Servitors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Mortarion is busy but he's a primarch, they've gotta be pretty ostentatious. If you're going to dial anything back it should be the other Death Guard members.

Those pics still aren't great but when we see some real high def pics in different paint schemes I think the doubters will be sold on him.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW really needs to fire their photographer. That's the third or fourth time a new model has looked like rear end when they first revealed it.

More than third or fourth, its been a serious problem for awhile now.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Having a bit of a headscratcher with the wound allocation rules and getting previous editions all mixed up.

Say you have a squad of Terminators, one dude has a storm shield and the others don't.

The squad takes 20 wounds from meltaguns.

Do you have to allocate the rolls before rolling, or do you just start rolling one die at a time on the storm shield guy until he dies, then move on to rolling 5+'s?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

jng2058 posted:

I too run Raven Guard, and I flood the board with long range heavy weapons. Generally I go Hammer and Anvil, with the Hammer being Deep Striking Terminators (backed up with Deep Striking Tempestus Scions when I run mixed Guard/Marine lists) and a APC mobile element in Razorbacks and/or Rhinos. The Anvil is a heavy weapon laden gun line usually featuring Sternguard and/or Devastators. I'm a big fan of massed Missile Launchers on my Devs and rear-line Sternguard, though that's partially because my usual opponents (Dark Eldar, Marines, Chaos, and Necrons) don't have much T8 in their collections.

The trick to it, to my mind, is that the two primary Raven Guard abilities (-1 to hit past 12" and ability to setup pre-game 9"+ away from the enemy) can be leveraged really well in a long range shooting army with enough mobile elements to punish your enemy as they inevitably try to close in.

For instance, I like to reserve one ten man Sternguard unit with a couple of Missile Launchers and everyone else with Special Issue Bolters as a Strike from the Shadows unit. Then I'll build a gunline with my big guns and set up my APCs either to support the line or to threaten an objective somewhere. Finally, once I've seen how everything's deployed, I'll dump my Shadowy Sternguard on on objective or in some good cover somewhere or, occasionally, if I'm reasonably sure I'm going first and there's an isolated target, I'll put 'em 14-15" away from an enemy so I can Rapid Fire massed S.I.Bolters in to 'em.

This sounds like mostly my playstyle, maybe with a few dreadnoughts sprinkled in somewhere. Do you generally run assault termies or shooty ones?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Having a bit of a headscratcher with the wound allocation rules and getting previous editions all mixed up.

Say you have a squad of Terminators, one dude has a storm shield and the others don't.

Do you have to allocate the rolls before rolling, or do you just start rolling one die at a time on the storm shield guy until he dies, then move on to rolling 5+'s?

It's a hybrid ruleset now. You can roll all those wounds on the storm shield guy, but once he suffers one wound, damage needs to be allocated onto him until he dies.

So you can choose where wounds go, but once someone is injured, they have to take wounds until they die.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's a hybrid ruleset now. You can roll all those wounds on the storm shield guy, but once he suffers one wound, damage needs to be allocated onto him until he dies.

So you can choose where wounds go, but once someone is injured, they have to take wounds until they die.

So you would roll 20 dice on a 3+ and as soon as that guy eats it, the damage spills over to the rest of the unit?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Technically speaking, you allocate a wound, save for it, remove any casualties and then move on to the next one. Once one Terminator takes an unsaved wound, all future wounds have to go on that guy until he's dead. So if you want to put evverything on the shield, you have to do it one at a time so you know how many he eats before he dies.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Did you win? I heard they don't do much at all to infantry by comparison.

OH god no. 2 ravens died turn one, another died the next turn and bobby g got overrun by flayed ones and didn't stand up. I didn't have the anti infantry to clear them once the ravens were dead and they picked up my earth shakers. All I had left was Celestine hiding behind LOS blocking away from all of his infantry at the end of the game.

I wouldn't worry a ton about them except that he is coming with to Flying Monkey and I'm going to bump into him, because that's what happens. I'm looking to diversify hard into infantry. I think I'm going to try the banner thing tomorrow and see how it goes.

Corrode posted:

Naramyth will probably tell me I'm doing it wrong but for 2k pure Marines I have:

Pedro
2x rifle dreads
3x 5 tacs, flamers
HB Devs
LRC
3x asscan razorbacks

Low drops, lots of infantry clearing stuff, plenty of anti-tank although I'd probably struggle against another Raider. The main thing I was finding was a lack of movement and the bikes do a lot to mitigate that and 10 T5 wounds is decent for parking on a remote objective.

terrible :glomp:

I don't hate it except the tac marines. They should probably just be scouts if you are trying to sneak in obsec/pure faction. And without bobby G you need lascannons or something to crack open big vehicles/forts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Defender picks and the only hard rule is if somebody takes a wound they have to keep taking wounds, so you could allocate them to the same guy until he dies or somebody else.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So you would roll 20 dice on a 3+ and as soon as that guy eats it, the damage spills over to the rest of the unit?

Yes, you roll 5+ saves for him until he dies and then they spill over.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
But you can't just roll those all at once. Because some unknown number of them are 3+ saves and the rest are 5+. You have to roll them one at a time at 3+ until the shield guy dies, and then move on to another model.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

But you can't just roll those all at once. Because some unknown number of them are 3+ saves and the rest are 5+. You have to roll them one at a time at 3+ until the shield guy dies, and then move on to another model.

Oh I thought he meant 3+ for the hit roll. Yeah if you're talking armor saves then you have to roll whichever until he dies first.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
It's important to clarify; damage doesn't spill over unless it's from mortal wounds. You'd allocate Wounds to your storm shield terminator and roll saves, one at a time, until he failed and took damage. Once he takes 1 point of damage, you *have* to allocate wounds to him until he dies. Once he dies, you start allocating remaining wounds to the next model, repeating the process but with that model's save.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The abacus nerd is loving great. I wasn't expecting a model like that and I really like when GW tosses some absurdity back into the range.

Does every Death Guard model need tentacles though? I get slapping some here and there, but every single model? It's actually becoming a problem.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Asked in the mini painting thread, but after seeing some of the new paint jobs on the new models I'm tweaking my Death Guard color scheme before I finalize it. Basically trying to do an "faded/rotted" version of secondary colors - olive pauldrons & parts of backpacks, ochre fungal growths, fuchisa cloth & tentacles, and greyish - washed skin (Going to follow Duncan's method for painting poxwalker flesh from now on) . Did a quick color change in photoshop so it doesn't quite match with the color I will use (screamer pink), but how does the guy on the right look with the fuchsia? Would it work in this color scheme for all cloth, like the bib on the Blightbringer and the hood on the Plaguecaster?

Edit: also, I'm going to darken the brass so it boosts the contrast up a bit more between it, ochre, and rusty parts.

Alternatively I could go with the scheme on the guy on the left, but I think I like the pre-heresy style of colors better overall. Works better with the DI models that don't have thick trim all over each part of the armor.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

Pedro
2x rifle dreads
3x 5 tacs, flamers
HB Devs
LRC
3x asscan razorbacks

You got plenty of anti-infantry. Drop the flamers and LRC, get something that has some anti-tank punch like a Quad-Las Pred.