Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

curufinor posted:

genocide vs. different genocide?

The US stopped official genocide policies in the early 20th century. Canada did it in the loving 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hobbesmaster posted:

The US stopped official genocide policies in the early 20th century. Canada did it in the loving 90s.

See also; Australia, the Stolen Generations. Canada had the same hyper-abusive 'schools' for native children to be routinely tortured, raped, neglected and probably murdered and buried in unmarked mass graves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In 1993, they created a Canadian History/Culture cabinet position and there was a massive debate about whether Native Canadians should be counted as Canadians and part of Canadian history.

They ended up going with a single line saying "Natives lived in the territory that would become Canada for hundreds of years. Some people consider them to be the "original" Canadians."

One of the arguments against including Native Canadians was "Why are we sending Canadian kids to re-education camps if we are going to recognize them as Canadian?"

And people said, "Yeah, that makes sense. You can't get rid of the re-education camps. Just acknowledge they exist as part of Canadian history and call it a day."

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

And now that residential schools are closed, racism is done forever so people expect Native people to just get jobs and get over it

Meanwhile people have the image of Natives as drunks/thieves/beggars so they won't hire them, while simultaneously hating on the equal opportunity programs that say you should hire some native people and this takes away a job from a white man somehow.

We also put their reserves in lovely locations, one in Ontario is near where Winnipeg gets it's drinking water but the reserve itself has had a drinking water advisory for years. We are literally waiting until the "problem" solves itself by having the reserves just die out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah it's not that American treatment of native people is good. It's just that Canadian treatment is so so so much worse.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Yeah it's not that American treatment of native people is good. It's just that Canadian treatment is so so so much worse.

That always surprises me.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

That always surprises me.

The most racist dude I ever met (until I met a white South African) was from Toronto.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

but at least canadians are more polite when they genocide

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fishmech posted:

I don't think anyone's surprised to hear how bad Australia treats its natives, but Canada does almost exactly the same things. And most of Australia's political class still seem to see Aboriginals as animals. (which they legally were for some time)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I don't think anyone's surprised to hear how bad Australia treats its natives, but Canada does almost exactly the same things. And most of Australia's political class still seem to see Aboriginals as animals. (which they legally were for some time)

Now, when you think about it, all humans are animals :pseudo:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

blowfish posted:

Now, when you think about it, all humans are animals :pseudo:

I mean, literally classified as wildlife til like the 70s.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Inescapable Duck posted:

:thejoke:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Macy's Is Running Out of Levers to Pull
https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2017-08-10/macy-s-earnings-running-out-of-turnaround-levers

Macy's posted it's tenth consecutive quarterly decline today. It's in track to lay off 10,000 of its employees this year.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

This is a myth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

simmyb posted:

This is a myth

I assume you have sources to back this up?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Macy's Is Running Out of Levers to Pull
https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2017-08-10/macy-s-earnings-running-out-of-turnaround-levers

Macy's posted it's tenth consecutive quarterly decline today. It's in track to lay off 10,000 of its employees this year.

Luckily coal jobs will help offset these job losses.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

I assume you have sources to back this up?

LMGTFY

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/03/10/myths-persist-about-1967-referendum

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Another article on Sears and Lampert

The Incredible Shrinking Sears https://nyti.ms/2uOeTsH

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

fishmech posted:

They aren't though, in fact they're a lot more hosed up on a lot of issues, like treatment of native peoples.

If you believe this I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Another article on Sears and Lampert

The Incredible Shrinking Sears https://nyti.ms/2uOeTsH

As someone else in logistics, the story of Sears must be sad to watch.

It is for me. They had their chance, could have been a much better version of Amazon and the current online incarnation of Walmart. But no. Run into the ground by a hedgefund Randoid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah, it's far from ideal. "Getting to the airport" is like the (one of the?) bare minimum of a public transit system. It does seem like most major metro areas offer something like that, even if it's a Park-and-Ride or whatever. Living without a car requires a hell of a lot more out of a transit system (and I can imagine there's less than 10 major metro areas where it's realistic) but most cities have at least laid the groundwork, they just need to raise taxes, remove the concept of fares and expand their networks.

Does anyone know/have any data for trends in public transit over the past few decades? I'm curious as to whether things are getting better, staying the same, or worsening. From my limited observation it does seem like public transit is making somewhat of a "comeback" with millennials but that could just be the bubble I live in.

Why yes, I too believe that public transport is a realistic option if cities totally revamp how they run and fund it and make massive infrastructure investments. You goddamn simpleton.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 18, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BlueBlazer posted:

Sears must be sad to watch.

A long time ago when was a kid Dad bought our first serious computer from Sears. At the time it cost about as much as the trailer we lived in. I remember the box coming down a conveyor belt at the store (wow when did sears drop those). I think we bought our first, CGA (then eventually VGA) graphics cards from the same Sears. First computer I went on the internet with.

It's kind of amazing for a company to blow through as much goodwill Sears had as a brand before it started declining.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

fishmech posted:

A lot of this comes down to how Native self-government works. In the United States, tribes are legally distinct sovereign governments (alongside states and the feds). This means they have a bunch of the same powers that the states and feds do. They make their own laws, and can enforce them over members and (sometimes) non-members. They have courts to hear civil or criminal cases, they have police and jails, they can implement taxes and set up their own schools and whatever. They're also exempt from many state laws, and in many cases exempt from state cops or courts. And starting in the 70s, Nixon of all people started a push to give tribes a lot more control over federal decisions affecting them, which has continued to grow through today. In practice, tribes have most of the power over what the feds do on their land - they decide how the Indian Health Service spends money, or whether the BLM should allow mining, they get to run their own pollution control plans under the Clean Air and Water Acts, etc.

In Canada, the different nations don't have any legal sovereignty. A few of them have agreements with the federal government that let them exercise a tiny bit of power, but those are sharply limited in what subjects they can govern; and most nations don't have those agreements at all. Whether or not a given people has an agreement, the provincial and local governments still have jurisdiction over them in terms of criminal laws and civil regulations. And from what I understand, the federal government retains much more active control over federal funding than in the US, which means it has way more leverage over every other aspect of life.

Like don't get me wrong, there are still a shitload of gaps in tribal jurisdiction in the US, and concomitant problems. (And Native people who aren't tribal members have it really bad.) But the US provides a much better legal framework for Native people to work with, and it's led to much better results.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

A long time ago when was a kid Dad bought our first serious computer from Sears. At the time it cost about as much as the trailer we lived in. I remember the box coming down a conveyor belt at the store (wow when did sears drop those). I think we bought our first, CGA (then eventually VGA) graphics cards from the same Sears. First computer I went on the internet with.

It's kind of amazing for a company to blow through as much goodwill Sears had as a brand before it started declining.

I don't recall Sears ever doing the conveyor belt thing. You sure it wasn't a Service Merchandise?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

ReidRansom posted:

I don't recall Sears ever doing the conveyor belt thing. You sure it wasn't a Service Merchandise?

I remember in the early 90's that Sears had a conveyor belt thing. I remember my mom picking up a CD player stereo and a Christmas tree off them, probably much more, I actually think the orders from the catalog were picked up from there, but the two above items were bought in store.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Probably just the way the loading dock was setup at that sears.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I remember the conveyer belt too, also from the early 90s! My family had purchased a TV there and I remember giddily waiting for it and being super excited when it started to peak from behind the Sears Blue colored plastic flaps and enter our lives.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah this would have been 88 or 89.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah I hadn't considered the catalog items angle, and I guess it would make sense for other large or expensive items as well.

What I do remember though is candy counters. I don't think I've seen one of those in a department store in ages.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Man, the conveyor belt thing got me to thinking about BEST Stores.

It was strange perusing a showroom that looked like the early seasons of Wheel of Fortune where you had to buy tacky poo poo with your winnings (think ceramic dalmatians and poo poo), but it was really ingenious because you save on floorspace and didn't have to restock shelves. You would either find what you were looking for on the shelf or display and tell the clerk about purchasing it, or you would look through the store catalog if you didn't find it in store. Your order would be processed, and then it would come down a conveyor belt from the stock room in back.

That's how I giddily bought a couple of Sega Genesis games :3:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Best was cool as hell. I miss them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ReidRansom posted:

What I do remember though is candy counters. I don't think I've seen one of those in a department store in ages.

The larger Bay stores still have them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

It was strange perusing a showroom that looked like the early seasons of Wheel of Fortune where you had to buy tacky poo poo with your winnings (think ceramic dalmatians and poo poo), but it was really ingenious because you save on floorspace and didn't have to restock shelves. You would either find what you were looking for on the shelf or display and tell the clerk about purchasing it, or you would look through the store catalog if you didn't find it in store. Your order would be processed, and then it would come down a conveyor belt from the stock room in back.

Come to Britain, we still have Argos and you might just meet a future president of a small African nation on your way out :v:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a blast from the past.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I grew up not far from their famous "indeterminate facade" store.

I remember thinking as a kid that a hurricane must've done it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
What the gently caress kind of ultramodern avant garde poo poo is that?! It rules

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Neon Noodle posted:

What the gently caress kind of ultramodern avant garde poo poo is that?! It rules

I have to wonder if average guys that lay brick/concrete/weld/do anything structural in these projects ever get a kick out of working on something like this. I've always wanted an interview with the work contractors that actually have to put together Frank Gehry's (generally hideous) buildings.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Neon Noodle posted:

That's a postmodern move, if anything. Right out of the Stirling book, if it also benefits the functioning of the store.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A lot of good business and management is postmodern now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I remember living near a suburban town that had a brand new development that was called "[Town Name] Station". It had a cutesy motif of a railway station. Cast iron decorations, clapboard siding painted red, peaked roofs, platform styled walkways, steam clock. Of course you could only drive to it in order to shop, and the town itself never had a rail service and was not even close to a rail line.

The entire suburban landscape is post-modern.