Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

cvnvcnv posted:

My honest speculation, an interview not long ago with some Bungie person high enough to give interviews featured a question about what reward is there for repeat drops. Previously, it was rolls. Since those don't exist, what now? The reply was that they have a great plan that they're testing the implementation of but that it may not be ready for launch.

I think that between release, patches and maintenance, the expansions, upcoming live events, and everything else, they didn't want to add in something to fix and drum up bad press when they can just drop it in soon after and have people excited. Same with private matches, they really want it correct and are giving themselves the time and space to make it wow.

Further, some Activision guy in an earnings call referred to the D2 expansions as being as important as the base game to the experience, or something very close to that. I think that's just the nature of it, that they're wanting to debut functionality to fanfare.

Surely that will draw some D1 comparisons, it not being ready or whatever, but I think the game is plenty ready, they're just staggering some big stuff as design philosophy, and some to impress people with instead of having to deal with 10000 Reddit post about how Bungo shouldn't have stuck in something that wasn't ready, or should have been better.

Lol stop huffing Bungie farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

How!
Oct 29, 2009

But theyre gay farts??

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What, because I'm optimistic despite admitting that others may have valid reason to doubt? I have zero investment in the game being bad or myself being a bitchy gash about it. Bungie employs a lot of morons who should spend their days outside, collecting ants on a stick like the loving apes they are, yet D1 occurred and I loved it. If D2 is any any way an improvement, I'm good. The game won't be perfect, there's going to be poo poo to deal with in the life cycle, but none of that exists now and there's going to be loads of fun between now and then. D2 is a thing to :) about.

Also I am retarded.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

cvnvcnv posted:

What, because I'm optimistic despite admitting that others may have valid reason to doubt? I have zero investment in the game being bad or myself being a bitchy gash about it. Bungie employs a lot of morons who should spend their days outside, collecting ants on a stick like the loving apes they are, yet D1 occurred and I loved it. If D2 is any any way an improvement, I'm good. The game won't be perfect, there's going to be poo poo to deal with in the life cycle, but none of that exists now and there's going to be loads of fun between now and then. D2 is a thing to :) about.

Also I am retarded.

You chose wrong, always go gay

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

cvnvcnv posted:

Surely that will draw some D1 comparisons, it not being ready or whatever, but I think the game is plenty ready, they're just staggering some big stuff as design philosophy, and some to impress people with instead of having to deal with 10000 Reddit post about how Bungo shouldn't have stuck in something that wasn't ready, or should have been better.

As they said third's time the charm but after seeing that when endgame designs where communicated too late and with only partial information were horrible times in destiny's history I'm not expecting good things from this silence.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Yeah shits real quiet. Its weird.

All im expecting from this weeks deej update is "welp, last week of trials. The end of an era. Also pc beta in 2 weeks guyz. And we are sooooooo closeeeeeeeee".

But expand that out to 3000 words or so.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Let me know if you all get bored.

I'm running Titanfall with cool people often.

(were you expecting a Moana joke?)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

limaCAT posted:

As they said third's time the charm but after seeing that when endgame designs where communicated too late and with only partial information were horrible times in destiny's history I'm not expecting good things from this silence.

Actually some of my fondest memories occurred while the other party was almost completely silent

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CheeseFactory posted:

Probably they don't want to steal the thunder from Call of Dying Franchise.

CheeseFactory posted:

Over in the good old US of A, September's issue of Game Informer magazine has landed and brought with it a whole host of new details on a social space called Headquarters being introduced to Call of Duty: WW2. Apparently the area will let you not only fight to the death against a friend but also watch loot box openings and win prizes. Tonally dissonant, sure, but rather par for the course in a game where you regularly die to W33dKing_99.

Headquarters seems to act as a lobby that up to 48 people can spend time in between online multiplayer matches. One of the things you can do is open the aforementioned cosmetic loot boxes you'll unlock while playing, or you can watch others open theirs in the hopes of winning prizes for doing so. Activision-Blizzard, of course, knows more about loot boxes than any company in the world, and doubtless seeing your friends unlock cool cosmetic gear leads to more purchases overall.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Actually some of my fondest memories occurred while the other party was almost completely silent

Yeah, but I still wouldn't stick my dick in any of Bungo's orifices.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Insane Totoro posted:

No, mr Bond, I expect you to die.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

I've never done Titanfall 2 multiplayer, is frontier mode good? How quickly can I unlock the monarch titan, it reads like something I would enjoy playing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

CheeseFactory posted:

All im expecting from this weeks deej update is "welp, last week of trials. The end of an era. Also pc beta in 2 weeks guyz. And we are sooooooo closeeeeeeeee".

But expand that out to 3000 words or so.

I am software developer, and sometimes our whole company is so busy about to release something, that literally all hands are busy and can't communicate properly with the customers. Is not a good thing, and some people job is to communicate with people, but they also have to help in other areas and it happens. From the customer point of view, we are doing nothing, from our point of view, everything is on fire and we have 60 wars going on.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Sir, this is a pet store drive thru please just take your hamster meal

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Tei posted:

I am software developer, and sometimes our whole company is so busy about to release something, that literally all hands are busy and can't communicate properly with the customers. Is not a good thing, and some people job is to communicate with people, but they also have to help in other areas and it happens. From the customer point of view, we are doing nothing, from our point of view, everything is on fire and we have 60 wars going on.

Yeah I'm sure Deej is so busy squirreled away in the war room banging out networking code that he can't find the time to post a page of marketing fluff once a week

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I assumed they were waiting until two or three weeks out to do an advertisement blitzkrieg. Get the tie-in products on the shelves then spend a lot of money in a short amount of time for a concentrated effect. The videogame community already knows all about the game, right? Release a few more trailers, maybe a live action commercial, then let the PC demo and whatever else pull their weight.

Not worried, but it will be suspect af if we aren't swimming in hype at the two week mark.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Exclusive sparrow for everyone in this thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

of course im a virgin thats the only way you can become a wizard

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DrNutt posted:

Like I'm glad after breaking free from the MS yoke they did something besides making Halo with the serial numbers filed off but like, did they play games in the meantime? Did they learn things from their experiences making Halo? How far up their own asses did they go in making Destiny I wonder?

Employee reviews on Glassdoor complain that a lot of the design leads at Bungie are arrogant and shoot down suggestions while bragging about how they made Halo and don't need to listen to someone lower on the company ladder telling them how to improve things so yeah, they're just up their own asses. Reading what it's like to work at that studio pretty much confirms a lot of the speculation people have had about why things are so slow and keep going wrong. I feel sorry for the teams who dedicate so much time to crunch only to have some idiot walk in at the end and say to scrap it all and start again because it doesn't fit their vision.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
There's a difference in being optimistic (which is fine, I wish I was still, that would be nice) and taking the quote "we have some good ideas but we won't be able to get them into release" from a AAA studio that last released a game that was a total unfinished clusterfuck that stumbled into being fun and think "oh yeah I totally believe them" *mashes preorder*

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Who wants to play Lawbreakers with me? :)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What a great sci fi game we have here. Oh there's a company logo for a real ISP, and one for an energy drink company, and one for a car company... So is the fiction in science fiction supposed to be that these brands are still around?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There's a difference in being optimistic (which is fine, I wish I was still, that would be nice) and taking the quote "we have some good ideas but we won't be able to get them into release" from a AAA studio that last released a game that was a total unfinished clusterfuck that stumbled into being fun and think "oh yeah I totally believe them" *mashes preorder*

A lot of interviews and videos have had Bungie admitting to failures, in consistently releasing content, in defining aspects of the world, in communicating the "why" of fighting to the endgame, and lots of stuff. I respect that and feel they're trying to be better. Granted, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but they seem earnest to (attempt to) avoid past problems :shrug:

Plus I pre-ordered merely for the beta lmao I was super skeptical and my chick was staying with me the days the beta was public so I just bought the thing to get some play in. I am deeply retarded.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

el B posted:

https://youtu.be/ynkZ9O1D4jY

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ularg posted:

What a great sci fi game we have here. Oh there's a company logo for a real ISP, and one for an energy drink company, and one for a car company... So is the fiction in science fiction supposed to be that these brands are still around?
Well the Red Bull promo in-game was the subtlest promo I've ever seen. The ingame rewards were XP boosters that vaguely looked like label-less redbull cans and a redbull can colored sparrow that didn't even have a clever name like "crimsorn taurus" or something.

That said we're dealing with Activision here who loves to cross the line of decency so we might end up with obnoxious Rockstar logo armor and pop tart themed ghost shells

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Roman posted:

pop tart themed ghost shells

:getin:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

el B posted:

About 3000 people on pc

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

limaCAT posted:

About 3000 people on pc

:negative:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Roman posted:

pop tart themed ghost shells

Go on....

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Yeah I'm sure Deej is so busy squirreled away in the war room banging out networking code that he can't find the time to post a page of marketing fluff once a week

No, of course. But maybe he have to help in other stuff, like writting announcements for stuff in the 2th week, or agreeing to contracts for ads in TV or other stuff. Talking to the public is one task, but probably have others.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

Employee reviews on Glassdoor complain that a lot of the design leads at Bungie are arrogant and shoot down suggestions while bragging about how they made Halo and don't need to listen to someone lower on the company ladder telling them how to improve things so yeah, they're just up their own asses. Reading what it's like to work at that studio pretty much confirms a lot of the speculation people have had about why things are so slow and keep going wrong. I feel sorry for the teams who dedicate so much time to crunch only to have some idiot walk in at the end and say to scrap it all and start again because it doesn't fit their vision.

Yeah, just listening to anything that comes out of Luke Smith's mouth is enough to confirm that. It's too bad because Destiny is fantastic in a lot of ways but I'm really skeptical that it will be able to pull me away from PUBG at all and I'm considering cancelling my console pre-order and just sticking with the PC version of D2 at this point. RIP my PS4 character I guess.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Still pre ordered but I cancelled my time off from work.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm taking a week off for the PC release. Even if it completely falls over on its face, I still have a week off that starts Tuesday the 24th, and ends with the 31st, Halloween.

Dank.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

texaholic posted:

Still pre ordered but I cancelled my time off from work.

This seems backwards.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Hulk Krogan posted:

This seems backwards.

If anything is like the past game will be eventually playable in April but the cost of entrance will need the same during the whole year. And buying it at bargain bin rate means miss out on most of the endgame.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this game is going to be more than playable and quite frankly all the pearl-clutching in this thread is hilarious

will it be perfect at launch? of course not, but the idea this game is going to be bad is patently ridiculous. oh no pvp is 4v4 and strikes are 3 players this is literally unplayable. oh no i can't do private matches what the gently caress will the three people who care about destiny tournaments do???

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
however will i learn how to best navigate the maps? by playing them in actual games? what am i, a loving savage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Or, alternatively, they have moved the pvp in a decidedly more intense and "competitive" direction and also removed an extremely fun and chill way to play pvp with bros.