Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

gently caress, i would have just redacted the name of the coffee chain in those tweets if i knew it would cause multiple tedious derails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

cheap sugary coffee and donuts is like manna from heaven and i will fight anyone who says otherwise

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

which didn't have anything to do with salesforce specifically, it was just to show off a cool thing they made and were using internally and want to give to the world. it should go over well

also depending on who you ask it looks like they might have known about the text beforehand
https://twitter.com/sirdarckcat/status/891154187274170372

idk why this suddenly became news again yesterday but I wouldn't have signed off on something called "meatpistol" either even if it is an anagram of "metasploit"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
dunkin donuts: imagine if every donut was like a stale cake donut, even the yeast/glazed ones
krispy kreme: imagine if every donut was like a glaze-covered mush of sugar and fat, even the cake ones

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
get this poo poo out of the secfuck thread, please and thanks

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
how about you get out of the secfuck thread, please and gently caress off

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My loving god shut the gently caress up about donuts

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

spankmeister posted:

My loving god shut the gently caress up about donuts

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk why this suddenly became news again yesterday but I wouldn't have signed off on something called "meatpistol" either even if it is an anagram of "metasploit"

I'm glad security doesn't have a gender problem like the rest of tech and their ten page manifestos

hurry up boys let's think of a way to anagram something into a dick joke for our next tool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Daman posted:

I'm glad security doesn't have a gender problem like the rest of tech and their ten page manifestos

hurry up boys let's think of a way to anagram something into a dick joke for our next tool

the language of wizardsec itself is pretty foul: "penetration testing," "exploits," and "owning" are just the first ones i can think of

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

upguard found a bunch of data from some energy infrastructure company a month ago https://www.upguard.com/breaches/data-leak-pqe

spankmeister posted:

What's upguard?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't think hating on DD or KK is hating on poor people. It's hating on lovely bad for you food.

People shouldn't eat or drink that garbage. One would argue that people think even less of the
nutrition information in a huge caramel frappuccino than they do a donut.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the language of wizardsec itself is pretty foul: "penetration testing," "exploits," and "owning" are just the first ones i can think of

Meh. Those at least have metaphors that make sense, as opposed to bending over backwards to make a dick joke.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

probably secfuck: our customer only supports one browser internally (IE11). apparently unmanaged and unpatched chome installs on endpoints is a big security issue for said customer (at least according to their head wizard). in this situation you'd think the best option would be to restrict chome on endpoints using something like applocker. well, the head wizard thought differently and instead decided to get our SCCM guys to package an enterprise version of chome that's updateable via SCCM and managed via group policy. this packaged version of chome was then deployed to the whole fleet.

so, instead of having to worry about a handful of dinguses who have chome installed we now have to worry about the entire loving fleet. to make things worse an e-mail was sent to all personnel telling everyone about the chome deployment so they know that it's there. oh and the issue of deploying an unsupported browser has been "solved" by effectively blacklisting "*.companyname.com" in chome via group policy so that they cant access internal websites using the browser.

:chome:

e: oh yeah they also packaged it with abp instead of ublock origin which is dumb

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lotta people itt getting introduced to the concept of fishmech'ing today.

also krispy kreme uber alles

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://twitter.com/jjvincent/status/895554642133659648

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Awesome.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

China has successfully sent "hack-proof" messages from a satellite to Earth for the first time.
The Micius satellite beamed messages to two mountain-top receiving stations 645 km (400 miles) and 1,200 km away.
The message was protected by exploiting quantum physics, which says any attempt to eavesdrop on it would make detectable changes.
Using satellites avoids some limitations that ground-based systems introduce into quantum communication.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40885723
Is this "hack-proof" or """""""""hack-proof"""""""""?
Presumably at some point in the process (once the data reaches its destination?) your secret quantum data needs to be turned back into its original best_simpsons_quotes.txt format to be usable, at which point it's as vulnerable as anything else?

Is the data actually less vulnerable during transmission, or is it just easier to figure out its been compromised once it reaches its destination?

gently caress copmuters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

communism bitch posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40885723
Is this "hack-proof" or """""""""hack-proof"""""""""?
Presumably at some point in the process (once the data reaches its destination?) your secret quantum data needs to be turned back into its original best_simpsons_quotes.txt format to be usable, at which point it's as vulnerable as anything else?

Is the data actually less vulnerable during transmission, or is it just easier to figure out its been compromised once it reaches its destination?

gently caress copmuters

if it's actual quantum encryption then the idea is it's basically a very secure way to send key data, after that it's just a boring normal OTP (or a stream cipher or whatever). so basically if anyone intercepts the key data or looks at it or anything you gently caress with the quantum-y bits of the system and it's immediately detectable (in fact it completely prevents you from continuing the connection), so you cancel the transmission before any of the ciphertext is even encoded.

it's hack-proof in that the quantum bits are assured by physics to work that way, and if you use a OTP (correctly use it, that is) you're mathematically assured that the encryption part is "provably secure" too. obviously if you have access to the system on either side of the secure bits then you can hack away

e: also I swear someone already did it from a satellite to a ground station years ago so idk if this is anything new or just China trying to look cool

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 10, 2017

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

huh, I was just joking with a coworker this week about writing an obfuscater that maliciously attacks a decompiler...guess this is god's equivalent.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

if it's actual quantum encryption then the idea is it's basically a very secure way to send key data, after that it's just a boring normal OTP (or a stream cipher or whatever). so basically if anyone intercepts the key data or looks at it or anything you gently caress with the quantum-y bits of the system and it's immediately detectable (in fact it completely prevents you from continuing the connection), so you cancel the transmission before any of the ciphertext is even encoded.

it's hack-proof in that the quantum bits are assured by physics to work that way, and if you use a OTP (correctly use it, that is) you're mathematically assured that the encryption part is "provably secure" too. obviously if you have access to the system on either side of the secure bits then you can hack away
So give it 20 years and the only way to hack the planet will be to physically access the machines, bured deep inside the megacorp arcologies? Finally, my animes will be almost real....

quote:

e: also I swear someone already did it from a satellite to a ground station years ago so idk if this is anything new or just China trying to look cool
I'm going to bet on the latter!!!!!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I remember reading somewhere about an 0 day in Ethereal (or maybe shortly after name switch to wireshark) that allowed RCE if you sniffed a bad packet. Glad to see the concept has been expanded on!

(If anyone has a source on that I looked a little but can't find anything - IIRC it dropped shortly before Defcon and some people didn't patch and were owned for trying to sniff the network)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

I remember reading somewhere about an 0 day in Ethereal (or maybe shortly after name switch to wireshark) that allowed RCE if you sniffed a bad packet. Glad to see the concept has been expanded on!

(If anyone has a source on that I looked a little but can't find anything - IIRC it dropped shortly before Defcon and some people didn't patch and were owned for trying to sniff the network)

there's been a lot of etherial/wireshark RCE's because each different protocol decoder is its own little plugin and has its own fun problems, and a lot of the rare ones (for protocols nobody ever actually uses anymore) probably haven't been touched in years

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"Scientists Put Malware in DNA For the First Time - "encode malicious software into physical strands of DNA, so that when a gene sequencer analyzes it the resulting data becomes a program that corrupts gene-sequencing software and takes control of the underlying computer.""

Source: Someone on IRC who says they read it on reddit

E: Also here https://www.wired.com/story/malware-dna-hack/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's under discussion in the grey thread too; they scooped ya

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so in other words, mind is software?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Scientists Put Malware in DNA For the First Time - "encode malicious software into physical strands of DNA, so that when a gene sequencer analyzes it the resulting data becomes a program that corrupts gene-sequencing software and takes control of the underlying computer.""

Source: Someone on IRC who says they read it on reddit

E: Also here https://www.wired.com/story/malware-dna-hack/

rick and morty did it first

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spit on my clit posted:

so in other words, mind is software?

philosophically, :thejoke:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Daman posted:

some folks here think im the no fun zone sjw joke police, but honestly I don't have a problem with dick jokes as hack tool names. dicks are funny and nearly always unwelcome so it fits. if they called it the oval office buster 5000 then there might be an issue

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn't even read it as a dick joke, because I'm a square

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Subjunctive posted:

really liked Cronenberg's eXistenZ, eh?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

unironically agree with this, society needs fewer fried dough stores that are harder to access

donuts are bad rear end dummy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

security is just a thing that you should think about and do whenever you do any IT thing.

delegating perms in AD? hmm maybe i can do this in a fine-grained per-attribute manner to support principal of least-privilege!

creating an ACL on an ASA? hmm maybe i should determine the specific ports that are required instead of just doing an allow all!

delegating perms on a server? hmm maybe this service account designed to run a script via scheduled task doesn't need local admin and instead i can delegate the specific user right for executing a batch task so it won't run in an elevated context!

importing a PFX key pair on a server? hmm maybe i should un-tick the "mark private key exportable" option!

delegating perms in a thing? hmm these built-in roles are fine but what if i created specific roles to delegate perms supporting least privilege principal!

it's just small dumb poo poo that everyone does every loving day that makes security secure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

same. i just thought it was a clever anagram

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

same. i just thought it was a clever anagram

clever is stretching things

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
[quote="“akadajet”" post="“475229620”"]
clever is stretching things
[/quote]

:goatse::dong:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think it's one of those things where people squint at it and ask "huh, i wonder if this is appropriate" and gradually talk themselves into ratcheting it up the problematic continuum every time they talk about it

like no i wouldn't have named it that and yeah i would've asked someone else to change the name but if i hadn't seen the name until right before the presentation i wouldn't have leapt to "okay don't present this or you're fired"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cheese-cube posted:

probably secfuck: our customer only supports one browser internally (IE11). apparently unmanaged and unpatched chome installs on endpoints is a big security issue for said customer (at least according to their head wizard). in this situation you'd think the best option would be to restrict chome on endpoints using something like applocker. well, the head wizard thought differently and instead decided to get our SCCM guys to package an enterprise version of chome that's updateable via SCCM and managed via group policy. this packaged version of chome was then deployed to the whole fleet.

so, instead of having to worry about a handful of dinguses who have chome installed we now have to worry about the entire loving fleet. to make things worse an e-mail was sent to all personnel telling everyone about the chome deployment so they know that it's there. oh and the issue of deploying an unsupported browser has been "solved" by effectively blacklisting "*.companyname.com" in chome via group policy so that they cant access internal websites using the browser.

:chome:

e: oh yeah they also packaged it with abp instead of ublock origin which is dumb

Wait, ABP is bad?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Schadenboner posted:

Wait, ABP is bad?

ublock origin is now the preferred ad blocker due to ABPs having a white listing program for certain ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lightbulb Out posted:

ublock origin is now the preferred ad blocker due to ABPs having a white listing program for certain ads

Oh that. Were there lovely mal-ads on their white list or was it more of a philosophical thing?

E: I'm not disagreeing with the philosophy, I'm just wondering if I need to go check my dad's machine.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 10, 2017

• Locked thread