Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

Has there been a mass movement among conservatives to start using Bing?

There was one several years back when Google was pushing to legalize gay marriage (of course Microsoft was as well but in a less public fashion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Edible Hat posted:

No, but channers proposed to harm google financially by creating a bunch of accounts and filling up google drive.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I "like" how every time some hero steps forwards to point out how men and women are different, that difference is always reflected in how women are inferior in some way. For some reason Lester never stands up for the inverse.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Radish posted:

I "like" how every time some hero steps forwards to point out how men and women are different, that difference is always reflected in how women are inferior in some way. For some reason Lester never stands up for the inverse.

One of the best essays on this dipshit and how his work mirrors that of domestic abusers and people like Marc Lepine and Elliot Rodger is here, written by a Google employee: http://tim.dreamwidth.org/2035407.html

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Forgall posted:

No, but channers proposed to harm google financially by creating a bunch of accounts and filling up google drive.

Google is doomed. Just look at what happened to Scientology once 4chan decided to fight them. They, uh...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

duz posted:

Huh, who thought the wife beater would agree with the nerd who thinks women can't physically handle the rigorous demands of being an engineer.

Really makes you think...

Radish posted:

Also this.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lester is an unironic calm_hitler.jpg. Except Hitler isn't even admitting to wanting genocide, just saying "I have different opinions about the Jews ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

duz posted:

Huh, who thought the wife beater would agree with the nerd who thinks women can't physically handle the rigorous demands of being an engineer.
Nobody should be surprised that Lester of all people is the one tripping over himself to praise this loving misogynistic rear end in a top hat who's been turned into a martyr for his brave words of "maybe women are just worse than men". :biotruths:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Ugh, I know that it isn't exactly breaking news that Lester is a disingenuous scumbag, but that comic is such a good example of how so much conservative rhetoric is controlled by deliberate oversimplification. A long, sprawling, :biotruths: sexist screed is deliberately reduced to "Hey, he's just simply saying men and women are different! Triggered, liberals?"

You see it all the time in conservative comics and commentary, and it drives me nuts. A business owner discriminating against gay customers becomes "This woman was fired for simply practicing her faith!" A neo-nazi gets media coverage for "being attacked for simply having a differing opinion". Any time I hear the word "simply" come out of any pundit's mouth nowadays, I flinch.

Is there a specific term for this kind of thing? It's like the opposite of strawmanning; instead of simplifying someone else's position to make it easier to attack, you simplify your own to make it harder to attack.

Anyway, yeah, gently caress Lester, he should stop making cartoons.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Is there a specific term for this kind of thing? It's like the opposite of strawmanning; instead of simplifying someone else's position to make it easier to attack, you simplify your own to make it harder to attack.
I think it's called lying.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Ugh, I know that it isn't exactly breaking news that Lester is a disingenuous scumbag, but that comic is such a good example of how so much conservative rhetoric is controlled by deliberate oversimplification. A long, sprawling, :biotruths: sexist screed is deliberately reduced to "Hey, he's just simply saying men and women are different! Triggered, liberals?"

You see it all the time in conservative comics and commentary, and it drives me nuts. A business owner discriminating against gay customers becomes "This woman was fired for simply practicing her faith!" A neo-nazi gets media coverage for "being attacked for simply having a differing opinion". Any time I hear the word "simply" come out of any pundit's mouth nowadays, I flinch.

Motte and Bailey defense. It's an analogy to an old castle type where a strong, defensible position (the motte) stood at the center of indefensible but valuable land (bailey). When the bailey is attacked, the people retreat to the motte and fight from there. When the attackers go away or die, they immediately go back out to the Bailey.

In the case of arguments, the Bailey is what you really want to/do believe. Stuff like "Women are inferior" or "Gays shouldn't have equal rights". But those are indefensible, so when they are attacked people retreat back to the motte of "I'm just saying that men and women are not literally identical" or "I'm simply practicing my religion". Of course as soon as the argument ends, they go right back to the indefensible beliefs.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Is Varvel showing... self-awareness?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Weren't you the person who pulled the smug conservative "Now you know how I feel" shtick?

quote:

gently caress you Ted Rall. Sorry we aren't murder hungry enough.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Any time you hear someone say "you just can't make it up" it's basically the same sort of oversimplification in order to obfuscate reality.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
But Ted was right

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Google acquiesced to Chinese censorship demands and is still putting along, but THIS...THIS is what will be their downfall.

You beat your wife, tubby.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

This is kind of like the backstory of Alice Isn't Dead.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

whomupclicklike posted:

But Russia Today was right

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

After The War posted:

Should've asked about her favorite Doctor/era/means of watching first. There could be some insurmountable gaps there.

Just a matter of time before we see a cartoon of an apartment door being slammed shut, while one of them is standing in front of a TV holding a VHS tape labelled "60s Reconstructions" going "But-but..."

Korner Zelda: "Incompatible formats."

Watching reconstructions is the Dr. Who version of Netflix & Chill! Why would anyone walk away from that?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rall works for Sputnik, not RT.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Rall works for Sputnik, not RT.

potato, po-russkiye

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I hate when I see ralls that reflect my views. Because I know he's full of poo poo pretty much all the time, but also the Republican party needs to be destroyed before it does any more harm.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wow, this newly minted autocratic regime seems to be copying my politics, guess they're the good guys.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Edible Hat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeSyyu5JrLY

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Ularg posted:

gently caress you Ted Rall. Sorry we aren't murder hungry enough.

Can't get Secret Service visits if you live in Russia

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"White House Summer Renovations"

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Thanks, Monica!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"What People Will Believe on 'Game of Thrones'"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I would find this funnier if the map was accurate. Like, I guess it's supposed to be county-level, because New York and the West Coast all aren't at state levels?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hey Kirschen. Give me news about how your beloved leader is in legal trouble!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What. :what:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Diplomacy bad and boring, Nuclear War good and exciting!

Also he had affair once, worst president, bad President.

EDIT: Or it is Clinton's fault somehow. I'm not sure I understand anymore either.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sandpuppy posted:

Thanks, Monica!

Wasnt diplomacy working until Bush cut all talks with Ill and hosed everything up?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Don't you remember how North Korea got nukes during Clinton's presidency in 2006?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
It's pretty bog standard conservative belief in international relations as show of Strength. If you're a Strong president that makes threats, foreign countries will know you mean business and dismantle their nuclear programs. If you're a Weak president who tries diplomacy, Iranian savages will abduct Are Brave Troop right in the middle of the gatdanged ocean and hold them prisoner forever!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Wasnt diplomacy working until Bush cut all talks with Ill and hosed everything up?

There was some issues with compliance with the Agreed Framework, but yeah the whole thing started to break down after Bush publicly questioned if they were really interested in complying. And put them on the Axis of Evil. And then toppled Saddam despite not having any real proof of weapons of mass destruction, meaning not having them was no longer a safeguard against an invasion.

edit: The Bush administration said North Korea admitted to enriching uranium for nuclear weapons in 2002, the North Koreans said they didn't and weren't and had only asserted a right to, so I dunno. Here's a Foreign Affairs article on that particular breakdown. The main assertion there is that the North Koreans were enriching for energy purposes which was misconstrued into a weapons program.

But that's a lot of nuanced poo poo that implies that maybe conservative foreign policy is loving stupid. Plus war's just fun, y'know?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 10, 2017

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Had to reread the beginning a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ratbert90 posted:

eh details

• Locked thread