Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I went to a karomatherapist once - the people who let you recover smells from your past lives. I don't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

somewhere in the afterlife, tilly just flipped the gently caress out and isn't sure why

tilly is pretty much the only guy of the thirty years war that i actually like

Cythereal posted:

This says something about us as a species, but I'm not entirely sure what.

westworld will be real

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I went to a karomatherapist once - the people who let you recover smells from your past lives. I don't recommend it.

i just need you to know this joke needed more workshopping

Caufman
May 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

tilly is pretty much the only guy of the thirty years war that i actually like

westworld will be real

They really should tell those robots they're actors in a theme park. No need to make it weird by keeping that fact from them. They'd still be perfect actors.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

This says something about us as a species, but I'm not entirely sure what.
Remember that question from earlier about the sexual revolution being a mistake?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

You know, for a church supposedly being persecuted as gently caress, you guys are making a lot of fun of my personal gnosis :colbert:

In other news, in my long path back to non-disabled(:rolleyes:) society, I started school today, and my first class the Danish version of Religion 101! Our teacher is a religious historian who thinks folk religionism is hella cool, so we'll get as much of it she's allowed to squeeze into the mandatory curriculum :getin:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
A personal gnosis worthy of the name would, by its very nature, be incommunicable. So if anything, the posts you refer to are rather confirming it.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Tias posted:

You know, for a church supposedly being persecuted as gently caress, you guys are making a lot of fun of my personal gnosis :colbert:

Just a personal observation as a middle-class dude in Germany, but I have the impression that even many members of institutionalized western religions have trouble coming to terms with and communicating about mystical experiences.
Anecdote: I was participating at a contemplation workshop at a local monastery and in the introduction, several participants talked about having personal experiences with saints, angels, even Mary herself - most other participants (me included) were not really sure how to deal with this info and things were a little awkward for a minute. And that was in a monastery!

Talking about spiritual gnosis outside of such a setting is pretty much impossible in (German)urban middleclass society, even among close friends - mechanistic materialism is the dominant model and everybody has to prove their rationality - or at least that the're no candidates for the loony bin.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 10, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

SavageGentleman posted:

Talking about spiritual gnosis outside of such a setting is pretty much impossible in (German)urban middleclass society, even among close friends - mechanistic materialism is the dominant model and everybody has to prove their rationality - or at least that the're no candidates for the loony bin.

I suppose it's because if we did all see the world through that particular vein we'd end up going completly mental anyway.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose it's because if we did all see the world through that particular vein we'd end up going completly mental anyway.

Yeah, the basic problem of any moment of personal gnosis is that it's almost impossible to verify using outside sources. I'm not saying every person who claims to have received divince communication is right: most people might be making it up or be led to that point by their own wishes or even some mental issues - but what about those that aren't? Telling them that they're insane or shaming them into silence is a pretty unfair move by Western society.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
While I'm biased towards materialism and against spiritual revelation for obvious reasons, consider how hard it is to find common cultural ground now, and then imagine what it would be like in a society that emphasized incommunicable personal experiences and still had the same political and social divisions that we do.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Didn't Max Weber have a sociological argument about this stuff, under the heading of the prophetic? It's not just our (post-)industrial societies that have certain aversions to mysticism. Even in cultures where it is socially licensed, it tends to be cordoned off and made the province of a restricted group of individuals. Precisely because you don't want your social order to be at the mercy of anyone who has a funny dream where god apparently talks to them, although at the same time one wants to have some kind of outlet for the creative forces that prophets may bring with them.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It's the same in the US (unless you hang out with a bunch of Charismatics/New Age hippies, I guess.)

Nobody really wants to be the first to start talking about spiritual experiences, but if one person in a group opens up about his or hers you'll often find that other people start sharing what they have personally experienced. People having spiritual experiences seems to be a more common thing than you'd think; it's just that nobody really opens up about it since it's considered weird by modern standards and people are afraid of coming across as a lunatic.

e: not sure about the Weber connection, but modern anthropologists who study folk religions tend to view shamanism as a socially acceptable vocation for people who don't fit into society otherwise. Not sure that's particularly correct, since they actually wield a lot of power in the community.

But yeah generally it's cordoned off as being something only a select few can do, although there are a few exceptions. The folk religion of Mayotte had channeling ancestor spirits as its main spiritual practice; when they converted to Islam they just started channeling djinns instead. Something like 25% of the adult population there have reported entering into a trance and acting as a medium for a djinn.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 10, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And then you have people like me, who have never had any sort of spiritual or mystical experience and can't imagine what that's like. I believe in spite of my thoughts, feelings, and experiences, not because of them.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Catholic and Orthodox spiritual writers frequently recommend extreme skepticism toward visions. IIRC, St. Silouan blamed one for keeping him away from real grace for a long time.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Cythereal posted:

And then you have people like me, who have never had any sort of spiritual or mystical experience and can't imagine what that's like. I believe in spite of my thoughts, feelings, and experiences, not because of them.

I'm in full agreement with you on this one. I never understood why there's such hostility to the credo quia absurdum - the fact that it's a sketchy citation only makes it all the more poignant.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

I have no issue with what you've experienced. No matter what I or anyone else believes or tells you, you're the only one who's going to live with what you've seen (or not seen, for the rest of us). I hope it leads you well. I hope it leads you always to a better, more loving tomorrow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm in full agreement with you on this one. I never understood why there's such hostility to the credo quia absurdum - the fact that it's a sketchy citation only makes it all the more poignant.

Doesn't help that mystical/spiritual experiences tend to not be shared things and can't be proven empirically. I say that if you do have such experiences, good for you. But it's not something I've ever felt and I personally put no stock in.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I also have never had a supernatural experience like witnessing a character from the Bible apart from normal imagination, a day dream. Half the time they're saying something reasonable, half the time they're shitposting.

But at the same time. spirituality is an unapologetically subjective phenomenon. And if you want to connect with the spirit of another, then it's not just about what you put stock in. It's even more about what they put stock in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Most of my spiritual experiences are nature-related. I dig a fancy liturgy with incense, candles, chanting, all that good stuff. But what is really profound for me is going camping in the mountains or similar. Staring at the stars, camaraderie over a camp fire, solitude, majestic views.

There's a good chance I move back to the plains to teach at a tribal college in the next couple of weeks. It'd be a bit of a messy transition for me and my current roommate, I'd appreciate any prayers. I might stay in the Los Angeles area, or I might well be back on a reservation on the plains in a few weeks.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 11, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

A personal gnosis worthy of the name would, by its very nature, be incommunicable. So if anything, the posts you refer to are rather confirming it.

If that's what you believe, I have some mindblowing news for you about the bible!

all accounts from the prophets are tales of personal gnosis, and they or others were evidently able to communicate it in a manner you can understand. :ssh:

Cythereal posted:

I think a lot of people would argue that this is exactly what makes you have faith and a spiritual lifestyle. Before learning shamanism, I never had a 'burning bush' moment, but I still believed because I thought and felt it was right.

Caufman posted:

I have no issue with what you've experienced. No matter what I or anyone else believes or tells you, you're the only one who's going to live with what you've seen (or not seen, for the rest of us). I hope it leads you well. I hope it leads you always to a better, more loving tomorrow.

:glomp:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tias posted:

I think a lot of people would argue that this is exactly what makes you have faith and a spiritual lifestyle. Before learning shamanism, I never had a 'burning bush' moment, but I still believed because I thought and felt it was right.

Not quite what I meant. To me, all my thinking, logic, personal feelings, and experiences suggest that Christianity is bollocks and ours is a deistic universe with a distant and uncaring creator. But I don't like the idea of a heartless universe and want - even must - believe that there's some purpose to it all and all the suffering and hardship we go through, and so I choose to believe and pray each night that I press on and hope I'll someday find the path. Lord, let Your will be done. Do with me as You will.

To me, the only answer to an atheistic universe is suicide because the universe is a beautiful place marred by the existence of people in all the wonder and all the horror we bring with us. I'm too much a student of history to believe humanity is innately good, or even that we do more good than bad.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

that's protestants; the catholics goth it up with lace and candles and black silk and statues of Mary but she's crying, maybe with blood-red roses in her hands. have you seen the music video for lady gaga's "fernando"?

Lady Gaga is a legit Catholic by the way, I just looked it up after "born this way" of all things made me suspicious.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

Lady Gaga is a legit Catholic by the way, I just looked it up after "born this way" of all things made me suspicious.
super loving italian. just like madonna

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

super loving italian. just like madonna

Madonna is unambiguously not Catholic though

Yes I care a lot about pop musicians and their worldviews

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

Madonna is unambiguously not Catholic though
she used to be, look at "just like a prayer"

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Our organist played some Gaga as the voluntary at the end of mass Sunday :allears:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's a brave gay organist

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I'm still surprised Catholics have almost no representation in contemporary Christian music. Modern Catholic hymns are generally pretty bad too although there are some I really like. It's like y'all decided the Exsultet was good enough and stopped making music after that.

Senju Kannon posted:

that's a brave gay organist

but you repeat yourself

The music director for my parish (who does basically everything) is a gay man who loves black gospel and is kinda mad the rector won't let him move the Hammond Organ we have in the chapel (where Adoration and the TLM are held) into the narthex of the main church building.

e: at least the organist wasn't a goon.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 12, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The catholics are too smart to make CCM

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Smoking Crow posted:

We had to sing a lot of this guy in campus choir.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Anathema

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Keromaru5 posted:

Catholic and Orthodox spiritual writers frequently recommend extreme skepticism toward visions. IIRC, St. Silouan blamed one for keeping him away from real grace for a long time.

I can't remember who it was about but there was some saint who received a vision of the Theotokos, who told him God had chosen him for greatness or some such, and he suggested they say the Jesus prayer in thanks. The demon couldn't, of course, and broke its disguise and retreated

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: at least the organist wasn't a goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSCUhqsy4Nk

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's like y'all decided the Exsultet was good enough and stopped making music after that.

to be fair that is the correct opinion b/c the Exsultet owns

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

It's a bit older, but Let It Be is pretty aces.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

to be fair that is the correct opinion b/c the Exsultet owns

yeah it is pretty awesome

calvinists writing 18th century hymns: "did we remember to cram penal substitutionary atonement in there somehow"

catholics writing the exsultet: "I;m thinking about thos Bees"

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Would this be a good place to talk about my recent issues with doubt? Or would that be weird?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Would this be a good place to talk about my recent issues with doubt? Or would that be weird?

Hell no, doubt and faith are pretty much two sides of the same coin. Even St Theresa of Calcutta spent years in deep and miserable worry and doubt where she wanted to believe and couldn't, just remember that and :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I doubt my faith all the time. You're in good company.

• Locked thread