Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I managed to watch From Dusk Till Dawn with my wife a while back without her having any idea where the story was headed. The point when things get crazy was fantastic to see in person. She laughed a bunch and shook her head and then turned to me and asked, "Seriously? What? Why?". I love that FDTD doesn't do anything to telegraph the craziness that unfolds. 10 Cloverfield Lane is in a similar situation, but I find myself wishing that either it would have had a title that didn't allude to Cloverfield at all or had just left off the end bit altogether. With a name like 10 Cloverfield Lane, it's nearly impossible to watch without expecting some kind of alien/monster reveal at the end. Even people who didn't see Cloverfield likely have a notion of what that movie was about from commercials and marketing around its release. I imagine the script for 10CL probably didn't start off with any connection to Cloverfield and the ending bit was tacked on to market to a broader audience. It's not really possible to know if the Cloverfield name got the movie more viewers than it would have had if it was just called "John Goodman or John Badman?" That said, I still enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane a lot exactly as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I saw From Dusk till Dawn on opening night in the theater not knowing anything other than that it was written by Tarantino and directed by Robert Rodriguez. I was also pretty high. The reveal was one of the most inexplicable, confounding, amazing experiences I've had. My mind could not even process what was going on for several minutes.

Mediocre movie but amazing experience.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how anyone could have been unaware it's a vampire movie, the original trailer puts it right there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't understand how anyone could have been unaware it's a vampire movie, the original trailer puts it right there.
If you don't watch a lot of movies in theaters or seek out trailers then it's pretty easy not to know anything about a movie before you watch it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I managed to catch it late at night on one of the movie channels knowing nothing other than it was a Tarantino movie. That combined with the fact that I was like twelve made it the perfect way to experience that movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you don't watch a lot of movies in theaters or seek out trailers then it's pretty easy not to know anything about a movie before you watch it.

I get that, I go into movies knowing as little as possible, I just feel like 1996 would contextually make things a little different. . Even so, if you just picked the movie called "From Dusk 'Till Dawn" with the poster covered in bats and letters that look like spikes/stakes (which I know is easier to notice in retrospect) seems like it hints towards it, unless it was opening night like the above poster mentioned. I feel like news would travel fast about a Tarantino-Rodriguez George Clooney vampire flick, unless a friend intentionally is obtuse to ensure the surprise (which a lot of people do).

It's always been described as "the George Clooney vampire movie" to me, so it's only recently I heard it was ever a surprise to anyone.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I managed to catch it late at night on one of the movie channels knowing nothing other than it was a Tarantino movie. That combined with the fact that I was like twelve made it the perfect way to experience that movie.

Yeah, this makes way more sense to me.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 10, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yea it's just circumstances coming together and allowing some people to have seen it completely unspoiled, comes down to luck really. Word spread pretty quickly and by the time I was able to see it I was very clear that this was "the Tarantino movie where vampires randomly show up".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Were you confused that the strip club was called The Kitty Twister?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Were you confused that the strip club was called The Kitty Twister?

nah dude, one of the uncensored movie channels :smug: I think it was Starz, they used to give us random free trials every once in a while.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jolo posted:

I managed to watch From Dusk Till Dawn with my wife a while back without her having any idea where the story was headed. The point when things get crazy was fantastic to see in person. She laughed a bunch and shook her head and then turned to me and asked, "Seriously? What? Why?". I love that FDTD doesn't do anything to telegraph the craziness that unfolds. 10 Cloverfield Lane is in a similar situation, but I find myself wishing that either it would have had a title that didn't allude to Cloverfield at all or had just left off the end bit altogether. With a name like 10 Cloverfield Lane, it's nearly impossible to watch without expecting some kind of alien/monster reveal at the end. Even people who didn't see Cloverfield likely have a notion of what that movie was about from commercials and marketing around its release. I imagine the script for 10CL probably didn't start off with any connection to Cloverfield and the ending bit was tacked on to market to a broader audience. It's not really possible to know if the Cloverfield name got the movie more viewers than it would have had if it was just called "John Goodman or John Badman?" That said, I still enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane a lot exactly as it is.

This video posits an interesting theory about the Cloverfield title, which boils down to the intentional creation of the side effect you describe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBzYKXqEC4

Basically, imagine if the film had been released as 'The Cellar'. With no other indication of any sci-fi elements other that what Goodman's characters insists, it would be natural for the audience to assume what Winstead's character assumes in the beginning; that she's being held captive by a lunatic. But by giving the film a Cloverfield title, you know before the film even starts that you are going to be watching a sci-fi film. Which means the audience is more likely to assume that Goodman's character is actually telling the truth early on in the film, which his is. This pushes the reveal that, oh, he actually IS a lunatic to later in the film.

That doesn't mean that it worked for the best (personally, I thought it was pretty effective), but that seems to be what the producers intended.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Netflix have announced they're doing a second season of GLOW. They have so far declined to say how many pissing sound effects will be in the next season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Netflix have announced they're doing a second season of GLOW. They have so far declined to say how many pissing sound effects will be in the next season.

I can't believe it got renewed after the first seasons pissing agenda.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:piss:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

This news really pisses me on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

McSpanky posted:

This news really pisses me on.

It's yellow journalism, I tell ya.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I haven't seen GLOW is piss really that big of deal. I know we're in the age of Trump and all but eh?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

old.flv posted:

I haven't seen GLOW is piss really that big of deal. I know we're in the age of Trump and all but eh?

GLOW is 100% women pissing. There is no dialog, no wrestling, just a neverending stream of hot, golden urine.

Seriously: Some dude a dozen pages back flipped out because the first episode featured a scene in a women's restroom where a minor character could be heard urinating.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Paper Kaiju posted:

This video posits an interesting theory about the Cloverfield title, which boils down to the intentional creation of the side effect you describe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBzYKXqEC4

Basically, imagine if the film had been released as 'The Cellar'. With no other indication of any sci-fi elements other that what Goodman's characters insists, it would be natural for the audience to assume what Winstead's character assumes in the beginning; that she's being held captive by a lunatic. But by giving the film a Cloverfield title, you know before the film even starts that you are going to be watching a sci-fi film. Which means the audience is more likely to assume that Goodman's character is actually telling the truth early on in the film, which his is. This pushes the reveal that, oh, he actually IS a lunatic to later in the film.

That doesn't mean that it worked for the best (personally, I thought it was pretty effective), but that seems to be what the producers intended.

I agree that it worked for that reason. I was sympathetic to Goodman early on in part because of the title and by the time the reveal happened, they had convinced me it was the other way around. I'm not sure I would have experienced the film the same way with a less allusory title.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I know I'm way late, but The VVitch (free with Prime) is ridiculously scary. I love the stylized dialogue, and I can't believe they got kids that could deliver it that reliably.

e and I liked the end of Cloverfield Lane, I just wish they'd come up with something a little more original than mashing together two scenes from War of the Worlds almost exactly.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 12, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Due to War of the World a failure's what I label you. It looks like some sellout bullshit Michael Bay would do. Ask anybody "what's your favorite Sam Jackson part?" No one's gonna say "What's-his-name in Jurassic Park."

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Due to War of the World a failure's what I label you. It looks like some sellout bullshit Michael Bay would do. Ask anybody "what's your favorite Sam Jackson part?" No one's gonna say "What's-his-name in Jurassic Park."

I'm having trouble parsing this post.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

married but discreet posted:

It sounds like lyrics to a song

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Quiz From God is pretty fun. It's a Korean show about a coroner's lab that's like CSI mixed with House, except House is an obnoxious young guy instead of Hugh Laurie. It's not mindblowing, but it's a good bit of fun.

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

https://youtu.be/_wYtG7aQTHA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My favorite is still Stalin vs. Rasputin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2z0nrsQ8o

GRRM vs. JRR Tolkien is great too

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I liked whats his name in Unbreakable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Message from the King is pretty dope, but insanely loving brutal (there's at least one :nms: gore shot).

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Spielberg War of the Worlds is also a much better 9/11 movie than Cloverfield.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Spielberg War of the Worlds is also a much better 9/11 movie than

Yeah I remember when those bastard terrorists teleported into the Twin Towers inside lightning. No one saw it coming.

I really hated how the aliens looked in that movie. I really wanted fat hairy octopus things.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 12, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah I remember when those bastard terrorists teleported into the Twin Towers inside lightning. No one saw it coming.

No no no, the terrorists were already in the Twin Towers the lightning just woke them up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ozark is pretty good so far. It's refreshing that the main dude isn't some toothless money guy who accidentally got in over his head with the wrong people. He's calm, intelligent, knows what he has to do to survive, and he knew exactly what he got into. Seeing him bargain for his life in the beginning was awesome to watch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

coyo7e posted:

I liked whats his name in Unbreakable.

THEY CALLED ME MISTER GLASS!!!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I know master of none has been talked about a bunch already but I'm around 5 episodes into it and I am loving this show.

It covers some heavy topics but it's still funny and I'm not sure what word to use, charming I guess? Just really well done all around.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Huh, I watched WHAS First Day of Camp and was going to watch the movies then the new series. The movie isn't on Netflix like I assumed. I have Prime if it is on there, otherwise can you watch the 10 Years Later show w/o having seen the movie, anything I need to know?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

Huh, I watched WHAS First Day of Camp and was going to watch the movies then the new series. The movie isn't on Netflix like I assumed. I have Prime if it is on there, otherwise can you watch the 10 Years Later show w/o having seen the movie, anything I need to know?

I'd imagine First Day of Camp would be harder to follow without seeing the movie than 10 Years Later. If you enjoyed First Day then I'd say go ahead and watch the new series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It really does tie together a lot better if you watch them in release order, if for no other reason than inside jokes paying off a lot more. But if you've already watched the prequel series you've got enough to go off to enjoy the sequel series.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Good news, thanks guys!

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Goons are still buttblasted I predicted the entirety of GLOW in the 15 minutes based solely on the pissing scene.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hahaha he's back.

Watched The Founder. great movie, but man I hate that guy now. It's loving amazing his wife gave his fortune to The Salvation Army and NPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Michael Corleone posted:

None of the WHAS stuff is particularly good.