Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

anthonypants posted:

Because they're the only ones who know how the system works, and they don't have anyone in-house who knows anything about the production system.

This.
We pay them a stupid amount for support, like a couple of CIO's-salary-annually worth of dollars. It's more "their system" than "our system."
Besides, if anyone here had that level of knowledge, or the time to learn that amount of poo poo about this specific piece of software then they'd probably just jump ship and go work for the company that sold it to us for 3-5 times their current salary.

That being said, we had requested a fix to a certain module in the test environment. He was the lead Dev trying to fix some really obscure bug in some part of this software. The software itself is some "crazy bullshit cave of spiderwebs" disparate modules somehow linked together that appears to have come from a couple decades of just adding more to the VB-shitpile than making any coherent attempt at developing a piece of software that does things.

Collateral Damage posted:

Why do you let vendors gently caress with your production systems without supervision? :psyduck:

We don't even let vendors touch our test systems without someone babysitting them.

He hosed it up so fast there was no way for us to stop him even if we knew exactly what was going on.

It gets better though. End-users can call their support and request that we start a remote support session. We oblige, but we don't sit there watching them gently caress around with poo poo for 8 hours at a time day after day because we have poo poo of our own to do. At any given time we could have 3 of their support people in our server dicking around with whatever someone needed fixed and that would take half of our entire IT team to sit and babysit and watch (and comprehend) what the gently caress they're doing.

Edit: to give you an idea of just how hosed this software is: they basically write their own print drivers for every configuration or layout of every form or report in the system. The software can't print the forms/reports to the print server, printers have to be manually added to the ERP server with a name less than 7 characters long or it won't work. Sometimes they use some crazy weird script that spits a bunch of jibberish out to Adobe Central which then queries the DB, compiles the info and spits it back out to the software which then takes that data, dumps it into a .txt file which is processed by another script and somehow magically comes out as a printed document but only if you're using this specific PCL5 driver for that printer. If your printer doesn't have a PCL5 driver, welp then you're hosed.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reminds me of our current situation with Infor.

gently caress Infor.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Super Slash posted:

"Yeah but you're an IT person, you should know my password!" - said everyone ever

I work with PHI so while I realistically could "know" a password, that would involve steps I am not authorized to take. There is literally nobody in the company who would know what someone's password is, by design.

Doesn't stop the idiot hell-fuckers from trying to tell us anyway though. :suicide:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Fool posted:

Reminds me of our current situation with Infor.

gently caress Infor.

We use their CMMS system and the business analyst guy was troubleshooting some poo poo and roped me in earlier. It's a large precarious pile of insane manual processes that must be run every. single. morning. Basically he massages a bunch of data that gets vomited out somewhere else via excel so it can be input into EAM. This is the process that the guys at Infor came up with and I have no loving idea why it isn't automatic and told him he should automate that poo poo himself.

Their problem was an authentication issue with their social media front end layer (Ming.le) that was handling authentication for the app the guys in the field use and my brain just melted more and more as I tried to figure out what the gently caress the problem even was and why I was there. Like why the gently caress is there a social media layer on our CMMS system? Are they expecting maintenance technicians, some of whom had trouble even using the loving system because their hands are so gnarly and hosed up they can't operate a touchscreen, to like, chat about their experiences repairing a hydraulic system?

Whatever, it's trash and expensive and I hate it and why can't we fire people who write this terrible poo poo into the sun.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

why can't we fire people who write this terrible poo poo into the sun.
It's not worth decreasing the sun's lifespan

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Elizabethan Error posted:

It's not worth decreasing the sun's lifespan

I dunno- the amount of iron in the human body that would dampen the sun's fusion reaction is so negligible it will be worth it to fire all these people into the sun.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
According to some nerd on youtube it's actually pretty hard to hit the sun from Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvR1fRTW8g

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anybody have any experience with WSUS cleanup scripts, maybe use one that they could recommend?

During the rare times I clean up the WSUS server (which is usually prompted when the C: drive becomes entirely full) I constantly encounter the SERVER NODE RESET thing when trying to manually clean up old/expired updates. It can take a long time to do it that way.

I know there are a lot of scripts out there you can find through googling that do this all for you, that you can even install as a scheduled task, but I'm hesitant to grab one and start experimenting. I'd rather try one recommended by one of you guys.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

anthonypants posted:

According to some nerd on youtube it's actually pretty hard to hit the sun from Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvR1fRTW8g

Not if you use bielliptic transfers like he says toward the end. That has the added benefit of taking longer so the idiots will run out of life support (assuming you pack any!) and die before they get to the sun.

The other problem is that it costs millions of dollars to launch a rocket no matter where it's going and what its payload is.

So you'd have to think real hard about whether it's worth it to cram folks on top of a rocket just to kill them when you can do it far easier and far cheaper with other means.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MrMojok posted:

Anybody have any experience with WSUS cleanup scripts, maybe use one that they could recommend?

During the rare times I clean up the WSUS server (which is usually prompted when the C: drive becomes entirely full) I constantly encounter the SERVER NODE RESET thing when trying to manually clean up old/expired updates. It can take a long time to do it that way.

I know there are a lot of scripts out there you can find through googling that do this all for you, that you can even install as a scheduled task, but I'm hesitant to grab one and start experimenting. I'd rather try one recommended by one of you guys.

It's been a while since I had to gently caress with WSUS directly, but doesn't it have an automated cleanup built-in that you can set on a schedule?

And yeah, I remember the lovely Node Reset thing. IIRC it still processes poo poo even when the console disconnects.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MrMojok posted:

I use Posh WSUS PowerShell scripts. They work pretty well for getting rid of Itanium updates and doing cleanup. I'm away from the office right now but tomorrow I can post a few, if you haven't googled them up by then.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thank you, I will check out the POSH scripts!

BitchKing I'm not sure if the WSUS itself has a way you can schedule it to run automatically. I had always heard there are others out there that do a better job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nimper posted:

Not if you use bielliptic transfers like he says toward the end. That has the added benefit of taking longer so the idiots will run out of life support (assuming you pack any!) and die before they get to the sun.

The other problem is that it costs millions of dollars to launch a rocket no matter where it's going and what its payload is.

So you'd have to think real hard about whether it's worth it to cram folks on top of a rocket just to kill them when you can do it far easier and far cheaper with other means.

It's cheaper to just shoot them, but "shoot them into the sun" has a certain ring to it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volmarias posted:

It's cheaper to just shoot them, but "shoot them into the sun" has a certain ring to it.

Exactly, it's not the cost, it's the theatrics of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sometimes you just need to make a point that you are not loving around, or to be hosed with :toughguy:.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
This WSUS script is loving amazing: https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sometimes you just need to make a point that you are not loving around, or to be hosed with :toughguy:.

Put 'em one at a time into one of those big machines that grinds up livestock or washing machines....feet first, very slowly

http://i.imgur.com/dDkgh2j.mp4

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Put 'em one at a time into one of those big machines that grinds up livestock or washing machines....feet first, very slowly

Us: kill dumb people in this ridiculously convoluted, impractical and possibly impossible way!

You: MURDER THEM SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY WHILE YOU WATCH SO YOU CAN ABSORB THEIR TERROR. LEAVE NO BODY.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You: MURDER THEM SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY WHILE YOU WATCH SO YOU CAN ABSORB THEIR TERROR. LEAVE NO BODY.

I fail to see the problem

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I sigh and draw my Hanzo steel...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It turns out that this is exactly what I had in mind with "easier and cheaper"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminds me of the bit in License to Kill where David Hedison gets fed to the shark.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm more reminded of the video of some dude dangling over a larger version of those chucking stuff in with his tie precariously close to the rollers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Super Slash posted:

I'm more reminded of the video of some dude dangling over a larger version of those chucking stuff in with his tie precariously close to the rollers.

Now there is an office trust exercise. All it takes is a nudge and you can have a promotion...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A few dozen tickets came in...

Nobody can get into our ERP system, and we can't log into the service account.
Come to find out the vendor was in the process of restoring a database from 2 years ago to our live environment, just minutes before our hourly differential backup.
Best case scenario; everyone loses an hours worth of work. I sure hope everyone remembers what they did for that last hour in our ERP system.

The vendor's response? "Oops. I'm sorry."

Oh man it gets so much better.

Apparently they were at it all night trying to restore the database and differential backups.
We had someone on site till like 4AM to assist.
Last communication they sent was around 7am after both my managers had to come in to relieve the guy who was on site. There was nothing from them from 2:30AM to 7AM and when they did email us they just said "I understand the situation is less than ideal."
Managers are emailing another team member who was scheduled to be out today for bloodwork to come in ASAP.
They're wondering why he isn't on site at 6am and when he finally wakes up and emails them that he is out today to go to the doctor, one manager just replies with "??!!" the other manager places him on 'leave' whatever that means.
Everything is still broken and it looks like the restore failed, but we're being told to not restore from our NetApp snaps yet...
:allears:
This whole thing is a giant trainwreck of poo poo on fire.

Edit: and now we're being told that the differential backups aren't configured properly (no idea how because we've tested them twice recently) and so we can only restore to 23:59 of August 8th.
woo!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 10, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh man it gets so much better.

Apparently they were at it all night trying to restore the database and differential backups.
We had someone on site till like 4AM to assist.
Last communication they sent was around 7am after both my managers had to come in to relieve the guy who was on site. There was nothing from them from 2:30AM to 7AM and when they did email us they just said "I understand the situation is less than ideal."
Managers are emailing another team member who was scheduled to be out today for bloodwork to come in ASAP.
They're wondering why he isn't on site at 6am and when he finally wakes up and emails them that he is out today to go to the doctor, one manager just replies with "??!!" the other manager places him on 'leave' whatever that means.
Everything is still broken and it looks like the restore failed, but we're being told to not restore from our NetApp snaps yet...
:allears:
This whole thing is a giant trainwreck of poo poo on fire.

What do you mean you are going to the Doctor? We have an emergency here!!?!?!?!

Good luck.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So, a massive clusterfuck of a ticket came in. poo poo $ISP asked me to prove our equipment no less than 15 times.

Step 1 was: see if the problem follows the t1 cable (move circuit to another card). Answer was yes, and this was just under 2 weeks ago. Since then: is your config right? Is your router faulty? Etc. Looped back to ISP and all, they kept saying no issues even though it was proven even with ATT (who hands off to $ISP)

Field tech from $ISP comes along for a vendor meet, browbeating his own $ISP NOC going "I told you about this before we turned it up! We were never supposed to turn this up like this" $ISP2 (ATT): "nice to see $ISP own up instead of blaming us for once.

Punchline? Site is getting a fiber upgrade in a few months anyway, and this is the second site to have this exact scenario play out.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

This is what I use as well, it works great!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"Hey WOTBK, I know next Friday is your last day. How long will it take for you to knowledge transfer SCCM to someone? Better part of a day?"

:lol:

Not nearly the same level, but yesterday we got tasked with a ~critical mission~ which I'm pretty sure is actually impossible to totally fulfill, but between our system management solution and a Powershell script I found, we can probably get over 50% there.

Of course, the Powershell script needs to be modified to actually work for our use case, but I didn't have time to finish making the changes yesterday. Now I'm off for a week and the other guy in my dept really doesn't know Powershell so good luck dudes. (Hopefully if they're serious about using it they'll bug one of the SysOps guys who does use Powershell regularly.)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

This is what I use as well, it works great!

Agreed.I think this will replace the cobbled together POSH scripts I used to run.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
"I need help changing my font to larger. Please help!"

:dings:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

CC their supervisor into the email chain with the reply, I'm sure they'd be intrigued to know the kind of basic computer issues their underlings have.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

They have defined what they need, they actually ask for the concept of "help", and they say "Please". Even if it's technically dirt simple, it's better than the kind of poo poo 85% of users do.

"Why the gently caress are these fonts so small? It's not meant to be used by normal people, only you glasses wearing computer gently caress geeks! What do you mean I can change it myself? I'm not a loving nerd! You! Do it for me!"

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I constantly encounter the SERVER NODE RESET thing when trying to manually clean up old/expired updates. It can take a long time to do it that way.

I was messing with this earlier today. If you find the WSUS Application Pool in IIS and give it a higher private memory limit (under advanced settings) it makes the server node reset thing go away.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

evobatman posted:

They have defined what they need, they actually ask for the concept of "help", and they say "Please". Even if it's technically dirt simple, it's better than the kind of poo poo 85% of users do.

"Why the gently caress are these fonts so small? It's not meant to be used by normal people, only you glasses wearing computer gently caress geeks! What do you mean I can change it myself? I'm not a loving nerd! You! Do it for me!"
Yeah, it's an older lady who's pretty nice. The email didn't bother me as much as it made me laugh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stoca Zola posted:

I was messing with this earlier today. If you find the WSUS Application Pool in IIS and give it a higher private memory limit (under advanced settings) it makes the server node reset thing go away.

Thank you very much for this. Been annoying me for years.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Stoca Zola posted:

Holy ssshhhhiiiittttt

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
"Please can you come up with a document that gives us a clear overview of our company set up and what we use to operate the business
Plus full operating manuals and contacts to operate the department.
Can you leave on my desk asap. I will be in shortly."

Uhh...

This was first thing this morning, I mean I've been updating the KB I created but I have no idea what the hell they actually want.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Super Slash posted:

"Please can you come up with a document that gives us a clear overview of our company set up and what we use to operate the business
Plus full operating manuals and contacts to operate the department.
Can you leave on my desk asap. I will be in shortly."

Uhh...

This was first thing this morning, I mean I've been updating the KB I created but I have no idea what the hell they actually want.

Haha I got something like this a few months ago. In the end he just needed a very general list of third party software we use. Certainly took some prying though.

A user came in. She spilled so much coffee on her laptop that it was dripping out the casing as she ran into our office. We gave her a loaner so we could send her computer for repair, and then she started complaining that she can't do her job and she has a huge project due soon and why can't we just order another $2000 computer and blah blah blah.

Everyone in her department was like "Maybe you shouldn't have drenched your computer in coffee."

The things I wish I could say to people...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I got handed a project about five years ago to investigate "moving everything to the cloud" from a CEO who had probably just heard the word. The actual problem that he wanted solving was access to files on his iPad from outside the office.

They also thought that the cloud would mean we could totally remove our comms room because everything would just connect wirelessly.

• Locked thread