Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

EmmyOk posted:

Cool thanks for the information guys! I don't have experience with this kind of game at all so I'll focus on building a Red/Green deck and get used to playing the game with it!

Like Lone Goat said they gave you bad advice. R/G is only easy in the sense that it's usually the deck that little kids like to play because the core of those decks is playing big creatures and attacking with them. Unless you're playing in Vintage/Legacy/Modern tournaments then blue isn't any harder to play than any other colors.

Play stuff you like, even if it's a hard deck. You'll learn a lot in the process and have a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or just have two Emrakul in the deck?

E: doesn't that give you infinite turns, even?

E: Emrakul is cast I'm dumb

Also singleton format.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tainen posted:

This is probably really bad but I like the design

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895712418059485184

At the very least, this is really neat.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you're running a Progenitus then the aura just falls off, right? It loses haste, but you keep the creature at least.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath?

eh

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or just have two Emrakul in the deck?

E: doesn't that give you infinite turns, even?

E: Emrakul is cast I'm dumb

I'm thinking about 1v1 mtgo commander, where I can build a deck that has no creatures in it but a polymorph target. In fact, such a thing is one of the top decks in the format.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Shame it can't go into a Zur deck, it's a neat card.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Lord of Hats posted:

At the very least, this is really neat.

Agreed. Awesome design and art.

Seems like nothing for cube. Gimme more ophiomancers and less four color or tribal nonsense.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Seems like nothing for cube. Gimme more ophiomancers and less four color or tribal nonsense.

Maybe there will be cool tokens

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I'm going to punch everyone that calls this Vindictive Bitch in the face.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you have only Emrakul, The Aeons Torn for creatures in your library, this can't not hit Emrakul. But since Emmy shuffles herself back in as a triggered ability, it can't attach itself to her again.

So you also play Kozilek, Butcher of Truth! With at least two it'll just cycle between them each turn.

It would work with Blightsteel Colossus because of being a replacement effect, wouldn't it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pontius Pilate posted:

Seems like nothing for cube.
You mean like powered 360 or what? The former, yeah, there's about nothing.

For a bit less powered I think monk Taigam, the 3/4 flash cat, kess, maybe some other stuff might be good enough to at least try out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

It would work with Blightsteel Colossus because of being a replacement effect, wouldn't it?

It would if you could destroy Blightsteel, but since it tends to win the turn a blightsteel swings I guess the part where the aura fails to do much is irrelevant.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I'm going to draft Magus of the Mind in the MTGO cube and go bananas.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It would if you could destroy Blightsteel, but since it tends to win the turn a blightsteel swings I guess the part where the aura fails to do much is irrelevant.

It actually does a lot with Blightsteel and other indestructibles. It will still summon a new creature and attach itself to the new creature, it'll just let you keep the original too.

But yeah, in Blightsteel's case getting a second turn with it won't often be that important.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Might be relevant if you're playing a multiplayer format.

(though why would you do that?)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tainen posted:

This is probably really bad but I like the design

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895712418059485184

Seem a usable in all the same ways as Polymorph, ie put it on a token or your Commander and have only one creature in your deck. You have to wait a turn for the trigger to go off though, which makes it much worse.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

BJPaskoff posted:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/184-commander-2017 says we have all the new cards in Commander 2017, so the only thing left to spoil are the reprints.

Still disappointed the Cats are so drat weak compared to the other tribes, but at least it stops me from actually having the urge to play Commander regularly after I build this novelty deck.

Cats are awful in general, so it's good that the commander deck with them is true to life

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Seem a usable in all the same ways as Polymorph, ie put it on a token or your Commander and have only one creature in your deck. You have to wait a turn for the trigger to go off though, which makes it much worse.

Or, put it in your reanimator deck and have fun times.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Spiderdrake posted:

You mean like powered 360 or what? The former, yeah, there's about nothing.

For a bit less powered I think monk Taigam, the 3/4 flash cat, kess, maybe some other stuff might be good enough to at least try out.

Yeah I was speaking from a higher power level perspective. There's definitely some cool cards for multiplayer, tribal, and less powered cubes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like how this red polymorph thing can also destroy an opponent's creature when you first play it and then flip out something of yours

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

Seems custom made for a big swinging fatty deck. So Kaalia?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

I like how this red polymorph thing can also destroy an opponent's creature when you first play it and then flip out something of yours

The actual, real reason to run this card.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Elyv posted:

Nope. Read it again. It gives the creature that ability, so when it says 'your' it's referring to the controller of the creature, not the controller of the enchantment. You can still use it to kill an opponent's creature, but they'll get a new one with haste.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

Not how it works, they get to flip a new creature and keep it going each turn.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

Just use it with Final Fortune/Last Chance etc

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no chance that wizard deck has snapcaster in it huh

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

gif Probst posted:

no chance that wizard deck has snapcaster in it huh

I feel like Snap is one of their biggest reprint equity cards right now. Doubt it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

Doesn't feel super consistent atm.

I plan on building it here in the next couple weeks.

The problem with the list as played is that there are so many cards that work against each other. Hoots Magoots is a good card. Become Immense is a good card. Playing both of them in a meta where everyone has amazing grave hate is dumb. Considering how much the deck cycles, I would prefer to run Goyf over one of those two cards. I just don't like combat tricks to begin with, but one or two Temur Battle Rage isn't a bad just because of the explosive potential. Magical Christmas Land of Immense + Battle Rage isn't worth trying for.

Swiftspear isn't that great in something that isn't 30%/70% creatures/spells. I'd rather run the 4th Goblin Guide and a set of Burning Tree Emissaries or Kird Ape or Zurgo Bellstriker or something. And maindeck the Lavamancer.

There are a bunch of other tweaks I want to make, but I think the Hollow Vine Neonate Reunion Looting core is pretty solid.

Edit: You want a card that triggers Vengevine super easily? Greenbelt Rampager. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 10, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Like Lone Goat said they gave you bad advice. R/G is only easy in the sense that it's usually the deck that little kids like to play because the core of those decks is playing big creatures and attacking with them. Unless you're playing in Vintage/Legacy/Modern tournaments then blue isn't any harder to play than any other colors.

Play stuff you like, even if it's a hard deck. You'll learn a lot in the process and have a lot more fun.

Yeah this sounds like a fun way to do things! I'm not too invested in winning and losing so much as I am in just having fun with it. I watched YGO when I was a kid and though the rules seemed arbitrary in the show I always liked when someone was trapped in pattern and forced to bleed Life every round without being able to do anything and just watch themselves slowly lose.

Lone Goat posted:

The best part of playing blue black is saying no and throwing what ever the other person is doing in the garbage so it's a lot like posting in this thread, it's great.

I'm looking forward to this part and lol!

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Have any of you had luck playing cunning survivor? I'm trying to make it work but I can't seem to get it through for enough damage in constructed.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Fun fact: If you somehow exile a Skullbriar with Mairsil, the Pretender's ability, put it in your graveyard from exile with Pull from Eternity, then reanimate it, it will have a cage counter on it while on the battlefield. Using Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines to make all your permanents into creatures and an anthem so your lands don't die, you can then use Gilder Bairn and Leech Bonder to duplicate and move the counters onto other permanents, including enchantments, lands, and planeswalkers.

For the next step, you use Conspiracy or Xenograft naming Shapeshifter, Rest in Peace, and Shapesharer. Use Shapesharer to turn any permanent you control that has a cage counter (which will be a creature thanks to Lattice + March and a Shapeshifter thanks to Conspiracy/Xenograft) into a copy of Skullbriar. Legend rule causes you to sacrifice one of them; choose the copy. Rest in Peace sends it into exile, and since it had Skullbriar's ability, it keeps the cage counter when it goes into exile.

Now, you have an enchantment or land or planeswalker in exile with a cage counter on it, and since Mairsil doesn't reference the exiled card's type, this gives him its activated abilities. Fun times!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zemyla posted:

Fun fact: If you somehow exile a Skullbriar with Mairsil, the Pretender's ability, put it in your graveyard from exile with Pull from Eternity, then reanimate it, it will have a cage counter on it while on the battlefield. Using Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines to make all your permanents into creatures and an anthem so your lands don't die, you can then use Gilder Bairn and Leech Bonder to duplicate and move the counters onto other permanents, including enchantments, lands, and planeswalkers.

For the next step, you use Conspiracy or Xenograft naming Shapeshifter, Rest in Peace, and Shapesharer. Use Shapesharer to turn any permanent you control that has a cage counter (which will be a creature thanks to Lattice + March and a Shapeshifter thanks to Conspiracy/Xenograft) into a copy of Skullbriar. Legend rule causes you to sacrifice one of them; choose the copy. Rest in Peace sends it into exile, and since it had Skullbriar's ability, it keeps the cage counter when it goes into exile.

Now, you have an enchantment or land or planeswalker in exile with a cage counter on it, and since Mairsil doesn't reference the exiled card's type, this gives him its activated abilities. Fun times!

quote:

"306.5d Each planeswalker has a number of loyalty abilities, which are activated abilities with loyalty symbols in their costs. Loyalty abilities follow special rules: A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if none of that permanent’s loyalty abilities have been activated that turn. See rule 606, “Loyalty Abilities

I guess you can only activate one loyalty ability per turn no matter how many caged planeswalkers you've captured with Mairsil. That's a shame.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I plan on building it here in the next couple weeks.

The problem with the list as played is that there are so many cards that work against each other. Hoots Magoots is a good card. Become Immense is a good card. Playing both of them in a meta where everyone has amazing grave hate is dumb. Considering how much the deck cycles, I would prefer to run Goyf over one of those two cards. I just don't like combat tricks to begin with, but one or two Temur Battle Rage isn't a bad just because of the explosive potential. Magical Christmas Land of Immense + Battle Rage isn't worth trying for.

It's not really Christmas land to pull that combo off. It was a big party of the standard it was in and was present in the old suicide zoo decks before the probe ban. It steals games when people aren't aware of it and forces people to play around it when they are. If you can consistently make BI cost G then I say play it in a deck like that.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Zemyla posted:

That's a lot of words to stay "EDH is bad"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Tainen posted:

You can't even do this in EDH without having a five-color creature as your commander.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zemyla posted:

You can't even do this in EDH without having a five-color creature as your commander.

I'm confused, is this supposed to be a limiting factor?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tainen posted:

Weird rules edge cases are cool, I'm sorry you hate fun

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

My experience with the Vengevine deck is 0 mana 4/3s and 0-1 mana 4/4s are a lot worse than 1 mana 4/5s and 5/5s and 9/9s, hth

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Also, you can even exile manifested instants and sorceries this way, and they turn face up when they enter exile, but none of them have any activated abilities that Mairsil can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Zemyla posted:

Also, you can even exile manifested instants and sorceries this way, and they turn face up when they enter exile, but none of them have any activated abilities that Mairsil can use.

Lightning storm?

Marcy needs to be on the stack but whatever