Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That's a double bed :stare: You have to poop in front of your partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Enfys posted:

That's a double bed :stare: You have to poop in front of your partner.

Some couples do the pooping in the hall bath to avoid stinking up the bedroom.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SoundMonkey posted:

when i first saw the picture i thought someone had just glued new tile over the old stuff in big sheets and it fell down

Sort of the same, but I was more thinking that the entire bathroom had just caved in on itself.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Bloop posted:

The garage door is terrible for a dozen reasons, the dazzle camouflage tilework is ugly to me but competently done so whatever, but what the gently caress is the reasoning behind toilets at the top of stairs?

No door on the toilet is dumb and bad, but have these people never been really sick? That toilet is a suicide machine. I have to assume there is some lazy/cheap architectural/plumbing reason for it.

Sometimes in very old homes there will be a humongous bathroom (s) where they have retrofitted indoor plumbing into an existing bedroom. But usually they take the bed out first. No reason for stairs in a bathroom though.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I love the exterior of this house because it's giving all the neighbors the finger. And I'm pretty sure that if you were to take out the big hedge on the left, you'd find it's actually flipping the double bird.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

The Bloop posted:

The garage door is terrible for a dozen reasons, the dazzle camouflage tilework is ugly to me but competently done so whatever, but what the gently caress is the reasoning behind toilets at the top of stairs?

No door on the toilet is dumb and bad, but have these people never been really sick? That toilet is a suicide machine. I have to assume there is some lazy/cheap architectural/plumbing reason for it.
Sinking tubs is hard. Much easier to raise the toilet.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

HycoCam posted:

Sinking tubs is hard. Much easier to raise the toilet.

No, all you have to do is cut through your subfloor and the tops of your joists. It's pretty easy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

They didn't want to risk cutting into the joists. :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If it's in a basement sometimes there's lazy plumbing reasons to raise toilets. My friend had a very poorly built illegal basement suite with a toilet up a couple steps because otherwise poo poo would have to flush up hill.
But there's a shower right there, so I have no idea...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SoundMonkey posted:

i THINK i'm the empty light sockets but there's just so many choices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0Lng3mhL4

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Enfys posted:

That's a double bed :stare: You have to get to poop in front of your partner.

FTFY. :quagmire:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if anyone has started making bespoke artisanal pallets yet? You know, for people who love the pallet esthetic, but don't want dirty used wood in their house.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My uhh, aunt-in-law has a basement toilet with steps like that in rural Canada. It's very odd and and the roof is real low and it's hard to do everything. I think it's the flushing downhill reason, or just a weird house. It at least has a door.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It's crazy how quickly using a bad bathroom will make you realize how much you take the basic ability to poo poo in comfort for granted. I stayed in an Airbnb where the room was detached from the house. The bathroom was in what used to be a small closet just outside, and it was very clearly not big enough to fit the toilet. If you were going to sit down you had to back in. The shower was outside, just... exposed. It was cheap though!

e: found a photo. I'm honestly impressed that they managed it at all considering what they had to work with:

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 10, 2017

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

i THINK i'm the empty light sockets but there's just so many choices

I'm the complete disdain for euclidean space.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Tron bathroom is weird but okay because it's still usable, though that is a lot of grout to keep clean...and the lighting is probably bad for shaving or makeup in that mirror...forget what I said about usable.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

welcome to my nightmare

this poor poor kitchen

PINTEREST BATTLE STATION

so much poo poo in this house that I bet you didn't notice the DOLLS in every room

why is there a shopping cart and a random extra kitchen in the bedroom

is this where they actually cook now that they have desecrated the other one

the yard is where the real hoarding is tho

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

That sink is the platonic ideal of everything I hate in a sink.

Stupid raised bowl? Check. Busy design you'll be sick of in a year? Check. Minimal counter space? Check.

The only thing keeping it from a bad sink bingo is that I can't see if it lacks storage underneath.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm the faux antique paneling glued to the door of the oven to match the poor beknobbled fridge.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm the painting of a window glued to the front of the dishwasher.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

That sink is the platonic ideal of everything I hate in a sink.

Stupid raised bowl? Check. Busy design you'll be sick of in a year? Check. Minimal counter space? Check.

The only thing keeping it from a bad sink bingo is that I can't see if it lacks storage underneath.

i'm the shower stall that could have been a nice bath/shower if you cleared that etsy poo poo out of there

i mean a corpse washing basin can go anywhere really

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I love how HDR just increases the ugliness of the rooms tenfold.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't get what's on the left of that bathroom picture.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

Another (probably not-working) "rustic" sink with more twee poo poo piled on top. This house has a rare combo of trendy Pinterest DIY/thrift store decor and just hoarding junk.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

WrenP-Complete posted:

If I was gong to Eye Spy this picture, I'd say that weird lamp looking thing is a necklace holder, then some sort of re-purposed canister (for baggies?), and the metal dangly box under the sink to hold miscellaneous whatever.
Thank god they labeled the soap, otherwise you'd just be tumbling around and pulling out strings of pearls, loofahs, and packets of stickers trying to get clean

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Never knew the floors looked like this. https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/896016030383955968/photo/1

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

I wouldn't even carpet it.

Bet it's going to have a throne.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I need some advice. I'm closing on a house on Monday and moving in right at the start of September, so I have a few weeks to remodel and prepare. I think the main thing I need advice on is rugs.

Below is a picture of the living room as I stand in the galley kitchen. Please ignore the trash can in the foreground of the photo and the random balls of dog fur; the sellers weren't quite done cleaning up yet when I took this.

Here are some things I'm doing with the room:

* The cherry laminate is being replaced with this dark grey engineered hardwood, which is a little lighter than it looks in the photo.
* The carpet you see back in the hallway is being replaced with this blue/white/grey blend carpet, which is also a little lighter than it looks.
* I like the light blue paint they used and it's only a year old; I've got the paint can from them so I think I'll just clean the walls and do some touch-up where their dogs were able to reach.
* I'm going to paint the mantle and the fireplace brick white. I don't really give a poo poo about fireplaces and I'm never going to use it, so I want to minimize its visual prominence in the room.

I'm going to use the living room for three purposes: entertainment, office, and dining, and I need a rug for each area:

1.) On the far side of the room, I'm going to put an entertainment center against the wall (to the left of the fireplace) and then a coffee table and couch across from it, so I need a big rug that can fit under all three of those. It's a dark wood for both the entertainment center and coffee table, and I'm planning on a light grey couch (maybe this one).
2.) Against the right wall, there's a window (not in the photo, sorry) and I'm going to put my desk up against that. My desk is an oak with a marbled dark grey top. I'm going to need a medium-sized rug for this that has a tight weave that interacts well with an office chair.
3.) To the left of the desk, I'm going to put a four or six-seat rectangular dining table. I don't have that set picked out yet, and I'm open to this being either dark or light wood.

I know the above would be boring for a lot of people, but I like clean lines, a cold color family, and a mixture of dark and light shades with a handful of bright colors (I'm going to use a pretty flashy red as an accent throughout the room, from the window treatments to the throw pillows to some of the decorations).

I have no idea where to start with rugs or what to be looking for. I would certainly appreciate specific suggestions given the above, but if people have any general advice about rug-buying I would really appreciate that, too. Thank you!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think you should get funny rugs. Turn your home into a meme palace.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Very disappointed that this doesn't say "rug life."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I don't see enough living, laughing, and loving in those rugs. :colbert:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think you should get funny rugs. Turn your home into a meme palace.

Source your rugs.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I wouldn't even carpet it.

Bet it's going to have a throne.

Or a toilet up several stairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Indolent Bastard posted:

Source your rugs.

IDK, just search "funny rugs" on amazon.

Thug life - https://www.amazon.com/Changyun-Flowers-Doormat-Entrance-Bathroom/dp/B0725TC2R4

https://www.amazon.com/Artsadd-banana-Carpet-Living-Bedroom/dp/B06XHHH6XB

https://www.amazon.com/Yochoice-Non-slip-Hipster-Flowers-Doormats/dp/B071GQ63T5

https://www.amazon.com/JTENGYAO-American-Non-slip-Doormats-Rug-31-4/dp/B072QBZDXV

https://www.amazon.com/ZOEO-Non-slip-Bedroom-Carpets-Doormats/dp/B074FZ554W

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh lmao these are curtains
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6ZJHR5?psc=1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

finally i can have a vintage reclaimed sliding barn door without even having a doorway

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Still better than the kissing emoji style in the link. Barely.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I say you want a good, repeated pattern. Something like this:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A pattern so brilliant it's almost...shining...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I say you want a good, repeated pattern. Something like this:

The thing about patterns like that is when they're on the floor, I they're fine, and I think they look great. But when they are vertical on a wall or screen, I get mild vertigo looking at it. Very strange.